Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Patton5150

What are the differences between the Kansas and the Minesota?

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

687
[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,935 posts
46,900 battles

I have the Kansas.  I looked at both ships on the Wiki.

Minnesota has more health, slightly more damage on the AP shells, and slightly worse dispersion?

Does the Minnesota have better sigma?  There has to be something that makes this a tier higher than the Kansas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
687
[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,935 posts
46,900 battles
2 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Kansas uses Colorado shells, Mini-soda uses NC shells afaik.

So better Krupp and pen I assume?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,521
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,441 posts
4,198 battles

Yes, Mini has better sigma (1.7 or 1.8 I think). Kansas has 1.5. Mini also has better shells I think. They're not Iowa shells though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,919
[WOLFG]
Members
30,775 posts
9,354 battles
2 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Kansas uses Colorado shells, Mini-soda uses NC shells afaik.

TBH, Kansa uses something akin to stock Colorado shells, which are more prone to shatter/bounce at mid-long range than the upgraded ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
828
[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
2 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

So better Krupp and pen I assume?

Inferior to Iowa and NC, respectively.

But theoretically Mini-soda should have better shells then Kansas.

 

 

2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

TBH, Kansa uses something akin to stock Colorado shells, which are more prone to shatter/bounce at mid-long range than the upgraded ones.

Stock Colorado shells at T8?

Why tho..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
320
[SNGNS]
Members
572 posts
6,575 battles

also minnesota gets WAY better armour. as in you go from 32 everywhere to 50+ deck an 38 sides.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,919
[WOLFG]
Members
30,775 posts
9,354 battles
13 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

Stock Colorado shells at T8?

Why tho..

They aren't actually stock Colorado shells, they're just lighter and have a different Krupp value than Colo's upgraded shells.

It may have something to do with the greater range over Colorado?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,188
[LEGIO]
Members
3,470 posts
8,179 battles

Even many of the details on these ships are flat out wrong.

Kansas fires the lighter Mark 5 AP shell at the same muzzle velocity as the guns on the Colorado. Minnesota fires the heavy Mark 8 AP shell at the same muzzle velocity as the guns on the Iowa. Despite this both ships are listed as using the "406mm/45 caliber Mark 7" when such a gun did not exist. The Mark 7 was the 50 caliber length gun used by the Iowas and planned for the Montanas.

Even though they are listed as using the same shells at the same velocities their ability to penetrate armor is worse than Colorado and Iowa respectively.

In reality the 1918 South Dakota class battleship design Kansas and Minnesota are supposed to be modernized versions of would have used the 406mm/50 caliber Mark 2 and Mark 3 guns. By WW2 these would be firing the Mark 5 AP shell and with the 50 caliber length gun the muzzle velocity would have been at least 2,700 f/s (823 m/s). They could have been upgraded to use the "super heavy" Mark 8 AP shell and using that muzzle velocity would have been same as that of the Iowas at 2,500 f/s (762 m/s).

In other words even the performance of the main battery guns on these ships are gimped despite that fact that those twelve guns are supposed to be main selling point for the line split.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
995
[WOLFC]
Members
2,001 posts
10,436 battles
1 hour ago, Patton5150 said:

Minnesota has more health, slightly more damage on the AP shells, and slightly worse dispersion?

The dispersion curve of the two ships is identical. Minnesota has longer range, so her maximum dispersion value is greater. Minnesota has better sigma so she is actually more accurate than Kansas at all ranges.

Edited by Nevermore135

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
828
[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
45 minutes ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

In other words even the performance of the main battery guns on these ships are gimped despite that fact that those twelve guns are supposed to be main selling point for the line split.

This is what frustrates me so much about this line.

Its obviously meant to have salvos that hit twice as hard and reload twice as long, but with these stupidly gimped shells and guns,  this is simply never put into practice.

With such a long reload, the trade-offs should obviously be strong accuracy and good shell characteristics (read, good pen and damage etc).
The line currently lacks these things and this leads to less salvos that can actually feel less impactful then the same-tier companions (ie alabama vs. kansas) due to inaccuracy or failings of the hits to due substantial damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
63
[ODIN]
Members
156 posts
8,099 battles
22 minutes ago, Akeno017 said:

This is what frustrates me so much about this line.

Its obviously meant to have salvos that hit twice as hard and reload twice as long, but with these stupidly gimped shells and guns,  this is simply never put into practice.

With such a long reload, the trade-offs should obviously be strong accuracy and good shell characteristics (read, good pen and damage etc).
The line currently lacks these things and this leads to less salvos that can actually feel less impactful then the same-tier companions (ie alabama vs. kansas) due to inaccuracy or failings of the hits to due substantial damage.

Vermont is the only ship of the new line that actually has the advertised devasting broadside. It kind of is unfortunate how WG is designing the trees like this, in that all other ships besides the Tier 10 is just a gimped experience of the gimmick of the line.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,279
[RLGN]
Members
14,949 posts
26,483 battles
2 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

Inferior to Iowa and NC, respectively.

But theoretically Mini-soda should have better shells then Kansas.

Does a T9 battleship come in a 10-pack of 7.5oz cans? :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
828
[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
58 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Does a T9 battleship come in a 10-pack of 7.5oz cans? :Smile_hiding:

Yes.

But this specific line, all those cans are flat and warm room temperature..

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,515
[ARGSY]
Members
21,715 posts
15,757 battles
6 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

Mini-soda

There's nothing mini about that thicc boi. That soda's so huge it was banned in New York. :Smile_veryhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
828
[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
41 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There's nothing mini about that thicc boi. That soda's so huge it was banned in New York. :Smile_veryhappy:

Its mini in terms of your american colonial portions!

We brits know what its like!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
66
[BERYL]
[BERYL]
Members
134 posts
5,058 battles
3 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

Yes.

But this specific line, all those cans are flat and warm room temperature..

Instead of being filled with delicious soda they contain week old milk stored at room temperature.

the-milks-gone-4ze07k.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
828
[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
11 minutes ago, RicketyEdge said:

Instead of being filled with delicious soda they contain week old milk stored at room temperature.

Once you spill one over your port, the smells never gunna clean up either.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,249
[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles

In AP penetration, Kansas and MinneSLOWta have worse Pen than their same tier USN Fast Battleship counterparts.

ZieFNxO.png

 

As for what IX Minnesota has over VIII Kansas?

38mm deck armor and torpedo belt

Better shells than Kansas

1.8 Sigma vs 1.5 on Kansas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×