You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Buyer beware: USS Oklahoma

161 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,688 posts
19,834 battles

Just a PSA, Wargaming nerfed Oklahoma hard with 9.10, and called it done / released. Which means that any CC footage you watch of her might be old, pre-nerf, 9.9 footage. Make sure the CC you watch has updated, post-nerf 9.10 footage instead of pre-nerf 9.9 footage.

What was nerfed, you ask? Her Krupp. By 40%.

What's Krupp?

Long story short, Krupp is shell hardness. It's one of two factors that govern penetration in this game, alongside kinetic energy (itself a product of mass and velocity). The higher an AP shell's Krupp value, the higher its pen, because it'll stay intact instead of shattering. The lower the value, the more easily it shatters. Anyone who's driven Prinz Eitel Friedrich will know the pain of low Krupp shells.

Yeah, but how much does 40% really matter?
A lot. Observe:

Range:                             5km            10km        15km
Oklahoma (9.9)          606mm    486mm    390mm
New York & Texas     596mm     479mm    385mm
Pyotr Velikiy                591mm      473mm    379mm
Kongo                            590mm    471mm     378mm
Oklahoma (9.10)        354mm     284mm    228mm

Pre-nerf Oklahoma had excellent pen. Post-nerf Oklahoma will shatter a full salvo on the belt of broadside New York at 10 kilometers and a Colorado's belt at 5 km.

This has killed any and all interest I had in her and so I won't be going out of my way to get her. If she drops during my normal gameplay shenanigans, well, then so be it. But she'll be a port queen.

10x 14" rifles, 40s reload, shells made of marshmallow. Why would anyone drive this over Texas, itself considered mediocre at best?

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 14
  • Thanks 31
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[WOLFG]
Members
10,520 posts
9,825 battles

If I don't get it during the patch, I doubt I'll spend coal on the containers when they become available.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[FOXY]
Members
1,162 posts
5,403 battles

So they made it worse than the rest of the new line they added? Nice. GG.

Glad i have the Texas, at least its rifles function at all ranges.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[0456]
Members
3,822 posts
10,091 battles

Good grief. 

Like most people even though I'd like to have her just to admire it in port this is not going to encourage me to play any way other than what I normally would... I wouldn't ever take her out even if my friends wouldn't find out. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
572 posts
18,535 battles

Lame. So you have a 40s reload for utterly mediocre guns...

[KWF]
Members
4,900 posts
6,590 battles

Excellent. Now she can join the ranks of Siroco, Mikoyan, Genova as the new member of the reward ship tier of bad.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[SVF]
Members
1,774 posts
2,335 battles

I was afraid they'd nerf it back into oblivion when it had equivalent/ever-so-slightly better pen than NY and Texas post-penetration buff, but good Lord.

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles

While I had no intentions of getting Oklahoma (I despise slow ships), I appreciate this info.  Not sure what the driver was for that design decision, but that's terrible.  Battleship caliber guns with cruiser levels of pen... Just... why???

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,122 posts
5,652 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Anyone who's driven Prinz Eitel Friedrich will know the pain of low Krupp shells.

Low Krupp values is the failing of Hood's shells too.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,688 posts
19,834 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

Low Krupp values is the failing of Hood's shells too.

Hood has other features to counter low Krupp AP though. Oklahoma has - ... well - ... Better turret layout than New York, I guess? And she's pretty?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,026 posts
27,458 battles

The chances are not that bad to finish the collection. At least if you want to grind out the containers from the missions. 

Seeing that you only can complete the collection (at some point in the future) for coal, there is a big shining sign on this collection: buy containers from the store. Or the ship.

But WG manage to do one thing for the first time: me not caring about a collection. Guess it will be the first one, that I will not finish.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,280 posts
12,151 battles

ah, so now there really is no reason to take her out except for Snowflake events, good to know, once again WG tries a sneak in a nerf thinking we'll be too stupid to notice it

Edited by tcbaker777

[0456]
Members
3,822 posts
10,091 battles
4 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

ah, so now there really is no reason to take her out except for Snowflake events, good to know, once again WG tries a sneak in a nerf thinking we'll be too stupid to notice it

I for one was way too stupid to notice it... fortunately that's why it's good to have guys like Lert around to set us straight. 

Edited by _ENO_
  • Cool 1

[IRNBN]
Members
3,685 posts
10,705 battles
20 minutes ago, Lert said:

This has killed any and all interest I had in her and so I won't be going out of my way to get her. If she drops during my normal gameplay shenanigans, well, then so be it. But she'll be a port queen.

10x 14" rifles, 40s reload, shells made of marshmallow. Why would anyone drive this over Texas, itself considered mediocre at best?

Same here. I'd automatically assumed OK would be a mehbote, but this goes way beyond meh. Thanks for the Krupp alert.

If she drops, she drops. If I miss out, no regrets.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,027 posts
17,079 battles

Do the HE and AP shells have different Krupp values?

[UNC]
Members
813 posts
6,081 battles
Just now, paradat said:

IIRC, HE does not use Krupp because the result is binary - it either pens or shatters based on the HE pen threshold, regardless of angle.  But I could be wrong.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,027 posts
17,079 battles
1 minute ago, Uncle_Lou said:

IIRC, HE does not use Krupp because the result is binary - it either pens or shatters based on the HE pen threshold, regardless of angle.  But I could be wrong.

OK so maybe Oklahoma would be better off going for a fire build. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,688 posts
19,834 battles
3 minutes ago, paradat said:

1 minute ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Uncle Lou has the right of it. HE pen is based on shell caliber, getting 1/6 of its caliber in mm in pen value. Some ships / nations get 1/4 pen like RNBB and German ships IIRC, also Japanese 100mm. Then there's IFHE which also improves HE pen. Krupp values have no bearing on HE performance.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,027 posts
17,079 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Uncle Lou has the right of it. HE pen is based on shell caliber, getting 1/6 of its caliber in mm in pen value. Some ships / nations get 1/4 pen like RNBB and German ships IIRC, also Japanese 100mm. Then there's IFHE which also improves HE pen. Krupp values have no bearing on HE performance.

OK so maybe sling HE at BB's and DD's and reserve the AP for just cruisers.

[SPU]
Members
180 posts
18,352 battles

I collect things,(actually a major pack rat...lol)

But after a few games in CO-OP and one last night in Randoms I seem to have had a decent couple of games in Oklahoma.

shot-20_10.28_21_29.33-0020.thumb.jpg.54596a43f4fa7e911fa8a5a8d13d2d28.jpgshot-20_10.28_22_09.20-0778.thumb.jpg.b1bb8bea4a373fa455abdabbb2f2eba1.jpg

Note: I was going to point blank range (4km) using AP on the main guns ...( eventually at 19.7knots ) .... now why can't I get results like this with the "NEW" BBs?

ps. also I was top tier in every game...... dreading the next one....

Edited by Morte_DeMeat
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,066 posts
22,585 battles
18 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Excellent. Now she can join the ranks of Siroco, Mikoyan, Genova as the new member of the reward ship tier of bad.

I don't understand WG and reward ships. I'm not asking for overperforming ships but dang, if they are this bad, how are they a reward? Take one out, fall victim to a disaster, never play it or feel the need to reach for any other "reward" ship again. Lost interest and revenue. Well done, WG.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,688 posts
19,834 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

OK so maybe sling HE at BB's and DD's and reserve the AP for just cruisers.

Yeah, I s'pose that'd work. But in that case, why drive a US Standard if you're gonna use it as HE spammer? Plus, with 40s reload you're not gonna stack fires and overtax damacon.

[Y0L0W]
Members
572 posts
18,535 battles

This American BB split has been a dismal failure. Kansas with 1.5 sigma and a 40s reload. All these 40s gun boats have next to nothing to justify such a long reload. 

• Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,027 posts
17,079 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Yeah, I s'pose that'd work. But in that case, why drive a US Standard if you're gonna use it as HE spammer? Plus, with 40s reload you're not gonna stack fires and overtax damacon.

OH crap forgot about the reload..... hmmm yeah ah well will get since she is free and will probably only play a few token battles in her. Maybe play her as a challenge ship so I can make the claim that she is actually pretty good ... not sure what other players problem is... lol.