You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: Key Battles/US BB Part 2 event.

26 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,696 battles

The general strategy I would advise for each combat task is to pick the easiest to do and switch to that mode to do it. Easy also includes fun; if the task in Key Battles is significantly bigger but you are having hilarious fun doing it and don't want to stop, by all means do it in Key Battles. .

Remember that in Key Battles, you are in a team by yourself. That means your ship is available immediately you are destroyed. Exit out, and you will be back in port again without having to wait for everyone else to finish. This is a HUGE advantage if you only have the Valkyrie to take out.

The directives can be done in Key Battles; you won't be missing out on your chance for the Oklahoma. . The first three Daily Chains can be done in Key battles, as the requirements have been changed to DAMAGE ONLY, no Base XP needed. This also makes things easier for people doing them in regular ships. . Bear in mind that Key Battles do not give XP or credits, so you will not be getting your daily containers. .

The first battle of the day should be done in a ship you are grinding. Take it into co-op, get 10K damage and the 500XP ship bonus.

DO NOT fight a Key Battle as the first fight of the day. REPEAT, DO NOT FIGHT A KEY BATTLE AS THE FIRST FIGHT OF THE DAY. YOU WILL BE WASTING THE XP BONUS ON A SHIP AND A CAPTAIN YOU WON'T KEEP.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,517 posts
6,683 battles
2 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

What exactly are the benefits of Key Battles for your regular account?

The 2 perma camos. 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,995 posts
10,430 battles
16 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

13 minutes ago, eviltane said:

The 2 perma camos. 

You can also exchange battle points for commanders, premium time, credits, and Halloween camos.

I’m pretty sure it’s set up this way to keep players from using the event to farm ECXP, as reducing ECXP stockpiles also seems to be a key goal of the WIP commander skill rework.

Edited by Nevermore135

[_BDA_]
Members
397 posts
6,237 battles
9 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

You can also exchange battle points for commanders, premium time, credits, and Halloween camos.

I’m pretty sure it’s set up this way to keep players from using the event to farm ECXP, as reducing ECXP stockpiles also seems to be a key goal of the WIP commander skill rework.

Thanks

[WOLF6]
Members
200 posts
8,370 battles

Keep in mind, to "earn" a T9 perma camo, it requires about 7+ hours of gameplay in that mode... that 7 hours is if you win 30 matches in a row, not including queue times and so on.

Edited by Ghawain

[GRAVE]
Members
1,361 posts
19,512 battles
1 hour ago, michael_zahnle said:

If you play on average about 80-100 games in it, you can get yourself a T9 infernal camo you can mount on any T9 ship except Weeb Soyuz

[PVE]
Members
4,661 posts
20,600 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The general strategy I would advise for each combat task is to pick the easiest to do and switch to that mode to do it. Easy also includes fun; if the task in Key Battles is significantly bigger but you are having hilarious fun doing it and don't want to stop, by all means do it in Key Battles. .

Remember that in Key Battles, you are in a team by yourself. That means your ship is available immediately you are destroyed. Exit out, and you will be back in port again without having to wait for everyone else to finish. This is a HUGE advantage if you only have the Valkyrie to take out.

The directives can be done in Key Battles; you won't be missing out on your chance for the Oklahoma. . The first three Daily Chains can be done in Key battles, as the requirements have been changed to DAMAGE ONLY, no Base XP needed. This also makes things easier for people doing them in regular ships. . Bear in mind that Key Battles do not give XP or credits, so you will not be getting your daily containers. .

The first battle of the day should be done in a ship you are grinding. Take it into co-op, get 10K damage and the 500XP ship bonus.

DO NOT fight a Key Battle as the first fight of the day. REPEAT, DO NOT FIGHT A KEY BATTLE AS THE FIRST FIGHT OF THE DAY. YOU WILL BE WASTING THE XP BONUS ON A SHIP AND A CAPTAIN YOU WON'T KEEP.

To be honest, Key Battle format is a waste of time......  The rewards are outright cheap and Non-Value-Added....

Good information for those whom want to waste their time for little return.  No thanks.  Several of our clan tried them and outright hated the concept.

The Second part of the US BB event, the first segment I finished in a day and played only my 19 point Captained ships.....  It took about 35 matches to finish I think.  Now, I'm bored to death.  It would be really nice if this game created holiday events that weren't for grade school children.  Or, events that had some "real value" in them.   Other games do this very well !  This one...........well, is a mess.

Edited by Asym_KS
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,696 battles
56 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

The rewards are outright cheap

The rewards are worth a total of 7000 doubloons, or $35.28 CDN. I personally don't give two hoots for the commanders, since they're not in nations I need spares for. 

My major gripe apart from the lack of XP and credits is that even if we earn squillions of points, we can only get one of each camo. As it is, I have several ships proverbially glaring at each other and begging for the right to the T8, and even a few contenders for the T9 - and that's not even getting into the complicating factor that we can put these things aside for ships we haven't even got yet!

[INTEL]
Members
3,301 posts
17,963 battles

This is really a non-event for me.  And I'm pretty happy with that.

I still have Infernal camo that I haven't linked to ships yet, so more permanent camo does not help me.  As for the captains, I have no interest in them either.  Since it does not contribute XP towards daily containers the only time I might be enticed to play the mode is on the weekends once I'm completed my normal routine and closed out the daily combat missions and the 3 containers.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,994 posts
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The rewards are worth a total of 7000 doubloons, or $35.28 CDN. I personally don't give two hoots for the commanders, since they're not in nations I need spares for. 

My major gripe apart from the lack of XP and credits is that even if we earn squillions of points, we can only get one of each camo. As it is, I have several ships proverbially glaring at each other and begging for the right to the T8, and even a few contenders for the T9 - and that's not even getting into the complicating factor that we can put these things aside for ships we haven't even got yet!

Yeah I have to agree on this event.  I have earned 117,000 battle points so far but I am seriously considering just buying the 100 consumable camos with it and ignoring it for the rest of the event.  It's fun, I like the game mode a lot and I can tell the devs put some work into it but, it's just kinda ruined by the fact that ALL other progress has to be paused, if I decide to play it.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,696 battles

Alright, now that we've got the doom and gloom out of the way, let's talk about other things - like how best to milk this sucker for all it can give. Tips, tricks, hints - anything that can give a player the edge.

[A-D-F]
7,994 posts
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Alright, now that we've got the doom and gloom out of the way, let's talk about other things - like how best to milk this sucker for all it can give. Tips, tricks, hints - anything that can give a player the edge.

Get the Gale, div up with anyone.  Pull up near them, undiv, unload torps.  Click on next person who didn't notice what you just did, invite to div and ask if they want to be friends. :Smile_hiding:

WG made it so dead people can't talk in battle chat in this mode, for a reason. :Smile_teethhappy:

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,696 battles
13 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

undiv,

How? I've seen streamers do it, but they did it so quickly that I couldn't pick how. 

14 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

WG made it so dead people can't talk in battle chat in this mode, for a reason.

There are 15 impostors among us. :Smile_trollface:

The problem is that live ones can't talk either, unless in Div. I came across a situation in which I'd just killed a Lobster-eyes for the key and I wanted to tell two ships attacking me, "My life for the key, you take it and exit." Now maybe they wouldn't have listened and would have ganked me anyway, but it might have been worth a shot. 

[PVE]
Members
4,661 posts
20,600 battles
47 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

At some point, the ice is so thin you fall through........  And, the reward mechanics are getting thinner and thinner each event and have been for well over a year.   Financial mechanics are adjusting to what I have stated over a year ago:  this game wants into the micro-eSales market where you will pay small amounts of real money all of the time........  1-3 CDN here and and 2-4 CDN there.........all on a plastic card.   It's the most effective sales tool there is and LoL's numbers are staggering with the rest of the MMO market attempting to copy their eSales paradigm......

[A-D-F]
7,994 posts
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How? I've seen streamers do it, but they did it so quickly that I couldn't pick how. 

There are 15 impostors among us. :Smile_trollface:

The problem is that live ones can't talk either, unless in Div. I came across a situation in which I'd just killed a Lobster-eyes for the key and I wanted to tell two ships attacking me, "My life for the key, you take it and exit." Now maybe they wouldn't have listened and would have ganked me anyway, but it might have been worth a shot. 

Press tab.

BTW, the most you can get out of a match is 10K points.  The points counter at the top changes to "Maximum".  I have found the below to be the best equipment setup.

shot-20.10.28_17.25.51-0639.jpg

shot-20.10.28_17.25.46-0230.jpg

shot-20.10.29_10.48.20-0479.jpg

[TFFOX]
Members
801 posts
1,687 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

there should be a button that says "leave division" when you hit tab

[SALVO]
Members
2,517 posts
6,683 battles
22 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

My question is if you can get more then 5k points per battle. Watched a guy farm and farm but he was stuck at 5k.

otherwise the best  start seems to be: 

- farm monsters and head to towards center to grab keys early as possible.  

- Team up with other key holders ( optimum person to trust.) 

- keep farming monsters and players with you div mate  till you are 5k then jump out. 

ohh and just kite out from Torp ships. 

rinse repeat

[A-D-F]
7,994 posts
1 minute ago, eviltane said:

My question is if you can get more then 5k points per battle. Watched a guy farm and farm but he was stuck at 5k.

- keep farming monsters and players with you div mate  till you are 5k then jump out. 

rinse repeat

It is far more profitable to let other players do the farming, then sink them and take their points.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,696 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

BTW, the most you can get out of a match is 10K points.  The points counter at the top changes to "Maximum".

Duly noted. 

5 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

And, the reward mechanics are getting thinner and thinner each event and have been for well over a year. 

The rewards are changing. Most of what's gone missing is small fry - a flag here, a camo there for the directive missions. It's all down to perception and preference, though, because some of the stuff they've brought in to replace it has arrived at just the time I both wanted and needed it, and was able to play successfully for it. And maybe they are trying to appeal to a different demographic... but if so, how is it that they've managed not only to hold on to me but also to make me more interested in continuing on? (Rhetorical question.)

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,696 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

then sink them and take their points.

Ahhh, I hadn't noticed that. 

At least if we get sunk, we don't leave with nothing. That would have been mega epic salt-generator territory.

Combine that with what @eviltane said, and the best divmate is someone with a key and 5K points.

The other thing I hadn't realized until it happened to me is that if you don't jump out via the portal, the Octagon is a contracting battlefield like we had a couple of years ago, with death via the Filth if you step outside for very long.

7 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Watched a guy farm and farm but he was stuck at 5k.

If he was aware that 5K was his limit, he might have been farming for damage to get the next upgrade or complete a directive mission. 

[ICO]
Members
59 posts
1,684 battles
32 minutes ago, eviltane said:

rinse repeat

10k is maximum with the sole survivor (you are the last person alive on standard map; I've gotten this when My divmate (who had a key) and I were the last two alive on the initial map, and he went into portal and I instantly got sole survivor. or octagon victory with multiplier. Although I've gotten less than 10k as octagon winner as it just seems to be a straight up multiplier of the points you have at that time, so if you just want to hide and fight in the octogon, it's not really as viable as fighting the whole time and stockpiling some points to be multiplied in the octagon. I'm not entirely sure what happens if there are two ships left in octogon and they mutual kill (I did this in a valk v valk fight that I was losing, so I rammed him. we both had HP hull (no ramming hull), both exploded, and It told me I lost ("your ship was destroyed") and just gave me the ~5k points I had at the moment of the collision, I'm not sure what the other guy got on his results screen. I haven't tried to go for keys at all, if one spawns in front of me, I dodge it like a torpedo wall, I'll let my divmates get them and sail with them till they extract, always been trying to go for the sole survivor, or to go into the octogon. I guess a situation to just go for the key/portal hasn't presented itself yet for me, if I'm near open portal and a free key pops up I could speedboost right through into the portal I'll try that but it hasn't happened yet.

The 3x initial daily missions being damage based is nice. The second three still being their normal XP based counterparts is... a bit odd. I get if they want to do it, but maybe if the order was swapped? Like I remember yesterday I logged in, did a quick co-op battle in my kotovsky (still working on unlocking next russian cruiser) for the 500xp, did a couple key battles having fun, then... suddenly gotta go back to getting xp. Not the worst thing in the world since KW is up for easy wins with basexp (encountered a very odd issue on my second KW run though https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/228703-missing-ui-elements-on-killer-whale-not-sure-if-bug/ ). However I think it would have been a little nicer if say the first 3x daily missions were "normal". the whatever b250xp and then 500, 1000, THEN switch to damage for the final three, and perhaps higher numbers? Would be smoother to do normal "daily stuff" first and then hop into the novelty mode full force, instead of switching back and forth.

I can understand the overall frustration with the rewards to some extent for more 'veteran' players. No xp/fxp/credits/ecxp T10camo etc... However from the eyes of a newer player, this seem pretty nice (I'm not saying it wouldn't look nice if it was also nice for veteran players, I'm saying the rewards that aren't that appealing to you guys are pretty appealing to me and look very realisticallyl obtainable). Before actually playing the mode, the big number on the permacamos looked very out of reach, but after playing it a bit, and thinking about it a bit, I think anyone who is willing to make some basic effort to do a few runs per day should have no problem getting all the 'nice stuff' from the store (both camos, and the 3 premium days[I'm probably going to bank the points and claim those when narai is back on rotation]), We've got like a month to do it, and if the latter US BB2 directives are ANYTHING like the first stub, the key battle mode burns through those reqs in record time.

Edited by Skipper30087

Members
108 posts

No XP at all for playing this? Ouch- and no credits either unless you give up the other rewards to buy 'em? That's a real winner of a decision- force players to choose between trying the fun limited-time game mode and not stalling their progress with the ships they actually get to keep when the event ends, not to mention anything they might be saving up coal for since no XP means no daily containers either. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to go back to business school for some remedial classes. Cool that they're offering more any-ship permacamos for free; no argument that's a great reward no matter how grindy the unlock requirements are... but the rest of what I'd have to give up on to get them makes me not want to bother beyond maybe playing a match or two a day to pick up a few captains as souvenirs.

[ICO]
Members
59 posts
1,684 battles
16 minutes ago, Wrath_Of_Deadguy said:

no matter how grindy the unlock requirements are

It's really not that grindy though... I did the math, all the 'good' rewards are; 2x permacamo + 3x premium days. 300k + 150k + 75k = 525k. We have more than a month to do it (I was too lazy to calculate exactly how many days, but let's divide by 30 to give a safe estimate/requirement) so that's 17,500 points per day for 30 days to get the 'important stuff'. You could do more on some days, or less on others, or play for more days, less etc... but that's really not that many games at all. Minimum is 2 games, but assuming you don't win both in a row with max multiplier, it's more along the order of 4-6 games, and you don't even need to wait in port, so if this is made part of the daily routine, it's practically guaranteed rewards. And probably some extra credits to boot with the overflow points

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
7 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

But you lose out on your containers for the day which for me is a minimum of 1200 coal.  You also lose out on all the credits you could earn in a random battle not to mention the Free XP lost.  Also only the first 3 battles of your daily reoccuring can be knocked out key battles.  Also you miss out on any campaign tasks you might be working on as well.