Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Combat Missions 0.9.10: Camouflages and Commanders for the Most Courageous Captains!

21 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,989 posts
14,378 battles

A new battle mode, discounts, an Imperial commemorative flag, and other rewards!

Read it on the portal
  • Cool 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Imperial commemorative flag

Haha you actually got me.

I actually took the bait thinking it was an IJN flag, should've known better.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,660 battles

Hapa, I don't normally rip WG a new one in anger, but this time I'm going to do it.

What on Earth were they thinking when they removed the opportunity to earn ECXP from the Halloween mode RIGHT BEFORE A PATCH IN WHICH WE ARE ALLEGEDLY GOING TO NEED A WHOLE LOT MORE?

Halloween has usually been one of the times players look forward to because it's a rich vein to be mined for credits and commander XP; a spooky holiday treat for the players, if you will. A fair proportion of us were particularly looking forward to it this year because we've got an eye on the whole 21-point thing and we want to have as much ECXP as possible under our belts. For this reason, I suspect engagement on the Halloween event is going to be way down, not to mention that the lack of ship XP from this battle mode is an absolute block to getting the daily containers. (The damage requirement on the first three dailies is a nice little bonus, though; kudos to the devs for that, and for letting us do the directives in this mode.)

I like the mode, the rewards are tempting, the artwork is brilliant and the concept is outstanding; but for the reasons I've already stated, the execution is IMHO inexcusably flawed. 

The decision not to put the regular Halloween modes of the past back in alongside this one appears also to have disappointed many.

Please convey this to the developers. They learned from the Puerto Rico blunder when they redeveloped the Dockyard concept; hopefully they can work out and put in a quick fix for this. 

On a brighter note, please convey to the artwork department my family's appreciation of the Z-23 Steel Rat camo, which I pulled out of a pumpkin last night. They really, REALLY liked it.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
10,516 posts
9,825 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What on Earth were they thinking when they removed the opportunity to earn ECXP from the Halloween mode RIGHT BEFORE A PATCH IN WHICH WE ARE ALLEGEDLY GOING TO NEED A WHOLE LOT MORE?

Do you want perma camos, or ECXP?

If you want both, you need to play more.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,660 battles
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Do you want perma camos, or ECXP?

If you want both, you need to play more.

Oh for sure, but time is an issue!

I rationalized that I can always earn CXP, but I can't always get the camos - therefore they get priority. (Offering only one of each was also a mistake IMHO). What happens depends very much on how quickly I accumulate event points; I know the T9 camo is the more valuable, but not by much... and it costs twice as much effort to earn. The T8 camo is my first goal because I have a ship that's an immediate candidate to receive it, and we will see what happens after that.

[WOLFG]
Members
10,516 posts
9,825 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Oh for sure, but time is an issue!

Aren't you the guy that tells people that complain about too much going on that they need to prioritize?:Smile-_tongue:

WG is always going to be pushing the price point/time spent point.  It is what they do.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,660 battles
3 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Aren't you the guy that tells people that complain about too much going on that they need to prioritize?

Yeah, but all the same, something we'd been looking forward to all year has now become something very different. It's a decision between conflicting priorities that we didn't have to make last Halloween. This thing should have been next year's Space Battles event, monsters and all. 

[WOLFG]
Members
10,516 posts
9,825 battles
26 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, but all the same, something we'd been looking forward to all year has now become something very different. It's a decision between conflicting priorities that we didn't have to make last Halloween. This thing should have been next year's Space Battles event, monsters and all. 

Just when you think you have WG nailed down, they switch the flip.

[PVE]
Members
4,646 posts
20,545 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Money is all that matters; and, some spreadsheet genius, whom has never played the game, came up with this to make money.  Their new sales mantra is: "Giving Less to Earn More !" 

The quality of the game went out the window at Update 8.0 and the follow on "clone wars era"......   My friend:  "they could care less........."   Have you seen a corporate response???   An explanation as to why?   Wait, it only get worse later this year !!!  The CPT respec will drive thousands away.  Xmas will be a single flag a container.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,660 battles
22 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Money is all that matters; and, some spreadsheet genius, whom has never played the game, came up with this to make money.  Their new sales mantra is: "Giving Less to Earn More !" 

The quality of the game went out the window at Update 8.0 and the follow on "clone wars era"......   My friend:  "they could care less........."   Have you seen a corporate response???   An explanation as to why?   Wait, it only get worse later this year !!!  The CPT respec will drive thousands away.  Xmas will be a single flag a container.

I'm trying to leave money out of this, because my objections need to be as much in the service of the free-to-play crowd as the whales and all in between. Moby or Miser, it makes no difference; they need to put together a game we all can enjoy and in this event I fear they've managed to disappoint both sides. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,646 posts
20,545 battles
58 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm trying to leave money out of this, because my objections need to be as much in the service of the free-to-play crowd as the whales and all in between. Moby or Miser, it makes no difference; they need to put together a game we all can enjoy and in this event I fear they've managed to disappoint both sides. 

And, I agree...........BUT, that isn't where the game is going.  That is a fact for new players to consider and the prime reason the new players many of us started are no longer with us......

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,660 battles
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

BUT, that isn't where the game is going.

That's just your opinion. I think I'd have a much better time as a free-to-play player today than I did when I first joined, even if it meant I didn't play high-tier tech-tree ships as much.

Back when I started, you could get Nelson or Missouri for free and that was it. Now there are premium ships to be had at Tiers 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10 at zero cost in a variety of nations. You would have a hard time convincing me that they're not looking after the free-play crowd to some degree.

[PVE]
Members
4,646 posts
20,545 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's just your opinion. I think I'd have a much better time as a free-to-play player today than I did when I first joined, even if it meant I didn't play high-tier tech-tree ships as much.

Back when I started, you could get Nelson or Missouri for free and that was it. Now there are premium ships to be had at Tiers 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10 at zero cost in a variety of nations. You would have a hard time convincing me that they're not looking after the free-play crowd to some degree.

We can agree to disagree.   Every new player that we started is gone.  An entire clan is gone.  All of my "other games" friends are gone.  Even my grade school grand son thinks the game has gotten stale and has uninstalled Blitz !  Ah, the cup half full isn't a half a cup anymore.   Random battles are NVA (radar and carriers.)  Scenarios were eliminated or neutered.  COOP is the last refuge.  Events are recently, very recently accessible to COOP mains and are doable.  All of the recent events require "buy in" to complete (if you are a normal person who doesn't play all day long.....)  So, in three years this December, the game isn't what it was.  And, where it is going I've written about....... 

Yes, it is my opinion.  And, I still listen to and value yours.  We'll see who is more correct because History is the only true test of assumptions.....!

[TFFOX]
Members
794 posts
1,582 battles
4 hours ago, Akeno017 said:

Haha you actually got me.

I actually took the bait thinking it was an IJN flag, should've known better.

me too. well, at least I get a russian perma flag. I like to fly certain flags on certain ships (IE Prussia flag on Nurnberg, Vive la France on Jurien, etc) and this one will go on my leningrad 

[ARGSY]
Members
21,581 posts
15,660 battles
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

All of the recent events require "buy in" to complete

The dockyards have at least been brutally honest about this up front - you are grinding a discount, not a free ship, but it's one hell of a discount and I find the ships it gave me to be useful and interesting. 

I also have not grown tired of finding ways to make the grind suit my own agenda, and that keeps things entertaining for me. 

8 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Random battles are NVA (radar and carriers.)

They keep it interesting for me too. Haven't grown tired of that challenge yet. 

8 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Scenarios were eliminated or neutered.

Victims of their own success! Maybe if they'd kept more quiet about just how much FXP and ECXP they were raking in, the hammer would not have come down as hard. 

Oh well. Outside of gaming I have photography and shooting; reloading has gone a bit on the back-burner since our local Prime Minister decided to go on an anti-firearms rampage, completely lost the mood... but my last roll of 400 ASA film is currently in-camera, and after that's developed I move on to a different emulsion with different requirements. Hopefully I can get caffenol to work on this next one; it would certainly cut out the need to buy anything but fixer!

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,646 posts
20,545 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The dockyards have at least been brutally honest about this up front - you are grinding a discount, not a free ship, but it's one hell of a discount and I find the ships it gave me to be useful and interesting. 

I also have not grown tired of finding ways to make the grind suit my own agenda, and that keeps things entertaining for me. 

They keep it interesting for me too. Haven't grown tired of that challenge yet. 

Victims of their own success! Maybe if they'd kept more quiet about just how much FXP and ECXP they were raking in, the hammer would not have come down as hard. 

Oh well. Outside of gaming I have photography and shooting; reloading has gone a bit on the back-burner since our local Prime Minister decided to go on an anti-firearms rampage, completely lost the mood... but my last roll of 400 ASA film is currently in-camera, and after that's developed I move on to a different emulsion with different requirements. Hopefully I can get caffenol to work on this next one; it would certainly cut out the need to buy anything but fixer!

Alas, I see the world half full because I know what I enjoyed that first year up to the Cruiser Line Split......which was, as many other games have gone through, a Paradigm shift of the game itself.....  Please, don't take my word, research MWO's Skill Tree Change and compare.  Or, others if you wish.   Games are games and they all do about the same things......repeat the same patterns.....etc.

For me, the game is phasing down into a part-time effort.

Outside of the game, I've more than enough hunting and shooting wise to keep me busy.  Too busy sometimes.  Good luck up there ! 

[CRF]
Members
853 posts
8,496 battles
4 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Alas, I see the world half full because I know what I enjoyed that first year up to the Cruiser Line Split......which was, as many other games have gone through, a Paradigm shift of the game itself.....  Please, don't take my word, research MWO's Skill Tree Change and compare.  Or, others if you wish.   Games are games and they all do about the same things......repeat the same patterns.....etc.

For me, the game is phasing down into a part-time effort.

Outside of the game, I've more than enough hunting and shooting wise to keep me busy.  Too busy sometimes.  Good luck up there ! 

Yea - have kind of gotten burned out on the grinds myself.  I've got a leaky head gasket on MG that needs attention, new Baldur's Gate 3 to Beta out, and 3D printing to try out.  Certainly playing less and spending less (after selling a house money is not an issue, but value is).  I am sure the new players will keep the game going, and I certainly still plan to play - just not as much anymore...never really played more than a couple of hours a night except on the weekends - now it looks to be two or three coop games and I am good for the session...we will see what Black Friday and the Xmas crates bring...

[-U-R-]
Members
23 posts
3,750 battles

I'm not particularly hyped for this. Not because of the rewards, but because the event itself doesn't seem as fun or Halloween-esqe as events from previous years. 

[WHARF]
Members
17 posts
32,470 battles

When will the game start banning players for AFK 1start with a 1 day ban for no movement for 20 minutes then if a pattern is set increase ban.

Sign in to follow this