You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Boomer625

Special Ships Halloween 2020 Q&A

12 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
505 posts
1,389 battles

Ask all your question related to this year’s Halloween ships!

Some of my questions:

1. Are there any tips and tricks to playing the Gale? What is the best optimal setup in your opinion?

2. How is the Hercules ship? How do you get it and is it worth it?

Members
30 posts
3,136 battles

https://www.wows-gamer-blog.com/2020/10/halloween-2020-big-hunt-key-to-victory.html

The part at the bottom says that you can obtain Hercules through a special combat mission that requires you to play gale or valkyrie starting from November 13 

Though I dunno if that would be true since the rewards on the page don't match up with the ones on the NA server

• Cool 1

[STW-A]
[STW-A]
Beta Testers
162 posts
18,501 battles

during battle, when you get the options to upgrade your ship. What are all the upgrades and % buffs of those upgrades?

[BUOY]
Members
1,102 posts
15,250 battles
7 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

Ah ok what about general play style for the gale?

The Gale is set up for ambushes and drive by massive alpha strikes... unfortunately while the stock torps do good damage against monsters, they do jack against player ships unless you get a perfect broadside and land 10+ at once if your target is at full health. The AI controlled guns hit hard but their firing angles are so janky they can't be remotely relied upon.

You also have to fiddle with the power management gimmick... I just level up more points since faster reallocation isn't nearly fast enough unless you put multiple ranks into it while more points means if you do get a lot of BP you'll be able to supercharge one attribute while the others are at or near start of match stock.

Not saying you can't do well in the ship, but you can't win 1 on 1's vs even stock Valkyries while being level 3-4 yourself without being a lot more careful / skilled / lucky.

OTOH, if by some chance you div up with another or two other Gales and have some semblance of coordination, the saturation torping would definitely overpower an equal number of Valkyries so maybe look for that opportunity.

[WOLF1]
Members
505 posts
1,389 battles
2 hours ago, lloyd1701 said:

The Gale is set up for ambushes and drive by massive alpha strikes... unfortunately while the stock torps do good damage against monsters, they do jack against player ships unless you get a perfect broadside and land 10+ at once if your target is at full health. The AI controlled guns hit hard but their firing angles are so janky they can't be remotely relied upon.

You also have to fiddle with the power management gimmick... I just level up more points since faster reallocation isn't nearly fast enough unless you put multiple ranks into it while more points means if you do get a lot of BP you'll be able to supercharge one attribute while the others are at or near start of match stock.

Not saying you can't do well in the ship, but you can't win 1 on 1's vs even stock Valkyries while being level 3-4 yourself without being a lot more careful / skilled / lucky.

OTOH, if by some chance you div up with another or two other Gales and have some semblance of coordination, the saturation torping would definitely overpower an equal number of Valkyries so maybe look for that opportunity.

Ah i see. I often get into furballs and die, whereas in the Valkyrie I have the speed boast.

how viable is the Valkyrie in a ramming configuration? Like ramming hull and buffing maneuverability in the match?

[BUOY]
Members
1,102 posts
15,250 battles
5 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

Ah i see. I often get into furballs and die, whereas in the Valkyrie I have the speed boast.

how viable is the Valkyrie in a ramming configuration? Like ramming hull and buffing maneuverability in the match?

Unfortunately not very since the 'reduced damage' is like 20% and so you'll be dead / mostly dead after ramming anything with speed boost and too slow to catch anyone with invulnerability. WG seems to have gotten cold feet on modifying this mode over the base game for a number of mechanics.

[META_]
Members
124 posts
2,305 battles
11 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

The most effective ramming build is to use the aura consumables.  The 15s invulnerability aura means that you take no damage from a ram.  Opponent takes full damage.  I've used it both to ram and to defend against ramming.

[WOLF1]
Members
505 posts
1,389 battles
46 minutes ago, Fel0niusMonk said:

The most effective ramming build is to use the aura consumables.  The 15s invulnerability aura means that you take no damage from a ram.  Opponent takes full damage.  I've used it both to ram and to defend against ramming.

you can select different consumables than just the heal and speed boast?

Edited by Boomer625

[META_]
Members
124 posts
2,305 battles
53 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

you can select different consumables than just the heal and speed boast?

Yes, like all of the modules (hull, consumables, main guns, secondaries) there are three options.  You unlock them by doing the mission chain for each ship.  They can be switched under the Equipment tab.