You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

BB Runs Away From CA

23 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
6,074 posts
18,524 battles

Yep, that BB was me.  In my vaunted California.  The CA?... a New Orleans.

Sometimes, 14 inches just isn't enough.  About one and a half mm shy.   He was able to use terrain to close so my arc was low.  Bow in, possibly looking to ram me.  NO can't be overmatched by Cali mains.  He knew it.  I knew it.  So there we were...slow fat Cali BB running from sleek and  nimble NO CA.   Can't clear my forward arcs because I'm vulnerable to his AP at certain angls..not to mention he closes a lot faster. What a  riot.  BB running from a CA. BB worried about the CA AP.  BB firing HE.  

Ah...the fun stuff California is made of.

• Funny 2
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 3

[RLGN]
Members
14,889 posts
26,419 battles

No torps.

Let the NO get close; turn into him; eat the hits then AP his backside to death.

[CNO]
Members
6,074 posts
18,524 battles
25 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

So....

Did he burn you down?

No.  I didn't even need to use DCP, had plenty of health and RT.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

Yeah I get you.  I honestly have always felt it just wrong in so many ways that a DD can easily kill a BB with just its puny little guns.  In real life, that DD wouldn't do much more than annoy a BB.  Hell even heavy cruiser caliber guns shouldn't be able to hurt a BB in any way that would render it combat ineffective.  It is pretty crappy that BBs are so weak in game. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
841 posts
13,897 battles
8 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Yeah I get you.  I honestly have always felt it just wrong in so many ways that a DD can easily kill a BB with just its puny little guns.  In real life, that DD wouldn't do much more than annoy a BB.  Hell even heavy cruiser caliber guns shouldn't be able to hurt a BB in any way that would render it combat ineffective.  It is pretty crappy that BBs are so weak in game. 

Not sure if serious.....

• Boring 2

[WOLF1]
Members
500 posts
1,385 battles
37 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Lets see here... A American DD shot a 5 inch shell into the bridge of the Japanese battleship Hei (spelling issue) and knocked out the command structure, causing the BB to become combat ineffective since no leader, no organized orders to command the ship.

puny DD guns, or even a pistol bullet, can ruin a Bb’s delicate radar systems, while DD main guns can knock out fire control systems

A shell through the funnel will reduce a Bb’s engine efficiency due to accumulation of exhaust smoke.

machine guns can kill off aa and secondary gun crews

Any DD can render a Bb combat ineffective 

Edited by Boomer625
  • Confused 1

[MNR]
[MNR]
Members
82 posts
4,150 battles

Read the book called: The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. Awesome book btw.  The DDs U.S.S. Johnston, Hoel, Samuel B Roberts went into a knife fight against the might of a Japaneses fleet, consists of BBs, CAs, and DDs. Severally damaging the fleet and trying to protect their CVEs Carriers from being slaughtered and it went on all night. Once the sun starts to rise, they force the Japaneses fleet the withdrawal from the area.

[--V--]
Members
1,458 posts
13,765 battles

The California, like the Kansas, is wasted pixels as far as I'm concerned.  Both are liabilities to team they're on.

Still trying to play both and find a way, a playstyle which makes them consistently effective.  So far, I have not.  Neither have any consistent qualities other than AA.

Members
2,103 posts
32,441 battles
11 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Sometimes, 14 inches just isn't enough.  About one and a half mm shy.   He was able to use terrain to close so my arc was low.  Bow in, possibly looking to ram me.  NO can't be overmatched by Cali mains.  He knew it.  I knew it.  So there we were...slow fat Cali BB running from sleek and  nimble NO CA.   Can't clear my forward arcs because I'm vulnerable to his AP at certain angls..not to mention he closes a lot faster. What a  riot.  BB running from a CA. BB worried about the CA AP.  BB firing HE.  

Then of course there are the Nagatos of the game who run after being perpetually on fire due to poor DCP management from little old Munchen, which can be easily deleted in a salvo when open water gun boating.

I love the smell of Japanese barbeque in the morning

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
186 posts
1,522 battles
12 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

So the NO was never over-extended? Typically when this happens, some friendly BB or even CA can easily hit the NO's broadside and well exposed citadel. Were you the last survivor on a flank or something? 

[CNO]
Members
6,074 posts
18,524 battles
12 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

Hell even heavy cruiser caliber guns shouldn't be able to hurt a BB in any way that would render it combat ineffective.  It is pretty crappy that BBs are so weak in game. 

Well, my only concern was the ram.  This was a late game situation one on one.  There was another one on one transpiring on the other side of map.  Points wise, if I survive, we win.  I never felt like he could own me with his armament...unless I did something stupid.  I could win the attrition game...just avoid the ram.

1 hour ago, SeaborneSumo said:

The California, like the Kansas, is wasted pixels as far as I'm concerned.  Both are liabilities to team they're on.

I'll guarantee you, play with me and my California is not a liability for your team.  California is a very good T7 when played properly.  If California on your team is a liability, it ain't the ship.

33 minutes ago, Roken1 said:

So the NO was never over-extended? Typically when this happens, some friendly BB or even CA can easily hit the NO's broadside and well exposed citadel. Were you the last survivor on a flank or something? 

One on one.  End game.  I had several mid/long range shots on him with AP while he was engaged with a DD.  But I either didn't connect or over-pen'd.  I was initially in a closing merge engagement, but when it become obvious that survival for me was a win, why take the chance on a ram.  When the opportunity presented (where I could turn without exposing broadside to 8 inch AP), I took the opportunity and the chase began.  He played his role well.  Knew his NO had the armor up front to bounce my AP.

[-AGW-]
Members
999 posts
14,780 battles
13 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

That explains a few things.

Had an Izmail run from my Albemarle and I couldn't figure out why. Why not aim for my superstructure? Anyhow, I got impatient and he got me when I turned to fire torps. 

Members
180 posts
9,492 battles
12 hours ago, Spooky39 said:

Read the book called: The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. Awesome book btw.  The DDs U.S.S. Johnston, Hoel, Samuel B Roberts went into a knife fight against the might of a Japaneses fleet, consists of BBs, CAs, and DDs. Severally damaging the fleet and trying to protect their CVEs Carriers from being slaughtered and it went on all night. Once the sun starts to rise, they force the Japaneses fleet the withdrawal from the area.

The point is at no point were the heavy ships in danger of being sunk by repeatedly being hit by 5" shells. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,820 posts
4,733 battles
14 hours ago, hexeris said:

Not sure if serious.....

Totally serious.  In game the BB is relatively balanced.  IRL a BB would be much more combat effective.  Clean one off topside and it would still sail on and blow your [donkey] off.  Only torps or other BBs would pose a serious threat, but there wouldn't be near as many torps as there are with reloading DDs (which require a similar suspension of disbelief) or islands to hide behind to defeat counter-fire.

This is a downside of an action game that evokes history.  History tends to intrude a mite too much on the game.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
14 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

Lets see here... A American DD shot a 5 inch shell into the bridge of the Japanese battleship Hei (spelling issue) and knocked out the command structure, causing the BB to become combat ineffective since no leader, no organized orders to command the ship.

puny DD guns, or even a pistol bullet, can ruin a Bb’s delicate radar systems, while DD main guns can knock out fire control systems

A shell through the funnel will reduce a Bb’s engine efficiency due to accumulation of exhaust smoke.

machine guns can kill off aa and secondary gun crews

Any DD can render a Bb combat ineffective 

If a DD is that close then the DD worth of DD guns strapped to either side ought to straighten him out in short order. BB also have dozens of AA and multipurpose small calber weapons they could put to good use. It's a pop can assaulting a fortress. Technically you are correct but on the face of things it seems the BB is nearly invulnerable

[WOLFG]
Members
30,658 posts
9,285 battles
15 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

In real life, that DD wouldn't do much more than annoy a BB.  

In real life, you command the ship you're given, not your favourite out of a wide selection.

DDs have to be made fun to play. If they were completely realistic, no one would play them.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,658 posts
9,285 battles
3 hours ago, NashW8 said:

That explains a few things.

Had an Izmail run from my Albemarle and I couldn't figure out why. Why not aim for my superstructure? Anyhow, I got impatient and he got me when I turned to fire torps. 

I think a lot of players figure that overmatching the bow is the only way to damage a bow-on ship with AP.

It's about the only way to get a citadel hit, but regular pens aren't super hard, just drop your shells in behind the rearmost forward turret. (or even at the turrets of a CL or lower-tier CA)

[WOLF1]
Members
500 posts
1,385 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

If a DD is that close then the DD worth of DD guns strapped to either side ought to straighten him out in short order. BB also have dozens of AA and multipurpose small calber weapons they could put to good use. It's a pop can assaulting a fortress. Technically you are correct but on the face of things it seems the BB is nearly invulnerable

Yes there is the secondary guns, but sometimes a DD can be so close its guns do not have the nessesary depression angle - happened to the Hei and to some DDs when enemy submarines got too close.

Yes rare and unluckily, but it happens at the right oppurtunity, which was a night battle and accidental collision in belive 

Edited by Boomer625

[--V--]
Members
1,458 posts
13,765 battles
22 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I'll guarantee you, play with me and my California is not a liability for your team.  California is a very good T7 when played properly.  If California on your team is a liability, it ain't the ship.

2nd funniest thing I've read all week.

Its the ship.  Trust me.  You seem to be the only person singing its praises.

• Meh 1

[GGWP]
Members
136 posts
4,004 battles

If you are getting melted by a New Orleans, that means you did not position correctly in your battleship. 

Edited by rhulkb27