Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
XVirtusX

The current situation of subs

7 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

8
[FLTF2]
Members
17 posts
1,712 battles

I liked to play subs in this last round of testing, I've never played them before. But some things bothered me like:

  • Subs don't ever have to surface

That's right. They don't get any bonus of speed or spotting range if fully emerged. It's kinda of silly. In periscope depth or fully emerged

doesn't matter, the game treats the same. I think it would be much more interesting if things like battery charge could become an issue and

the captain would have to use it wisely. Also it could only be recharged when fully surfaced!

Also I think first time you hit "C" key, you should go automatically to periscope depth, it makes no sense to only dive 3 or 4 meters. After periscope

depth reached, you could control the rate of submersion the way it is now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,273
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,189 posts
12,094 battles

The Halloween event that first tested subs although it used entirely fixed depth settings had a periscope depth, where spotting range was reduced, and you had to surface for O2after some amount of time, as well as ability to fire torps one at a time and they reloaded one at a time in a manner that allowed you to fire if only one was reloaded. So theoretically, a 6 tube sub with a 60 second reload could fire a torpedo every 10 seconds if it wanted. 

They actually played like WWII subs - many of us felt that beyond changes in balance for randoms (damage of ordnance, O2 times, etc) all that was needed that wasn't technically balance adjustments was a method for DD's to find them, non-DD's to attack them, and for subs to have AA guns that worked. Instead they have this dumb version that is based on modern SSN instead of WWI ad WWII for some insane reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8
[FLTF2]
Members
17 posts
1,712 battles
23 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

The Halloween event that first tested subs although it used entirely fixed depth settings had a periscope depth, where spotting range was reduced, and you had to surface for O2after some amount of time, as well as ability to fire torps one at a time and they reloaded one at a time in a manner that allowed you to fire if only one was reloaded. So theoretically, a 6 tube sub with a 60 second reload could fire a torpedo every 10 seconds if it wanted. 

They actually played like WWII subs - many of us felt that beyond changes in balance for randoms (damage of ordnance, O2 times, etc) all that was needed that wasn't technically balance adjustments was a method for DD's to find them, non-DD's to attack them, and for subs to have AA guns that worked. Instead they have this dumb version that is based on modern SSN instead of WWI ad WWII for some insane reason. 

I didn't play this one you are talking about but seems indeed much better. Let's keep the faith the devs will get it right this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,103
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,954 battles
24 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

They actually played like WWII subs

PLEASE!! They played NOTHING like real subs. That Halloween event was trash! Thank God subs aren't like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,273
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,189 posts
12,094 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

PLEASE!! They played NOTHING like real subs. That Halloween event was trash! Thank God subs aren't like that!

Assuming it's not sarcasm -

  • The event subs generally it was best to run on the surface until you had to submerge to avoid detection so you conserved O2 - WWI and II submarines, till later in the War in Germany's case out of necessity, would run on the surface most of the time and only dive when they needed to to avoid detection. 
  • Submarines could fire a spread of torpedoes to cover an area to try and ensure a hit - the one at a time method, if applied normally instead of the goofy manner they chose, would allow to do the same over the junk they've been testing always firing 2 at a time going the same direction. 
  • Again the method of how they broke up the tubes was dumb, but you had two options - a standard torpedo that did more damage, or one that had some passive homing that could knock out engines - mirroring the use of standard torpedoes by all navies and the German passive homing torpedoes - although I believe they started homing a lot sooner than their real life counterparts. As opposed to the current iterations in which you effectively generate a shooting solution using sonar to guide the torpedo which is more inline with more modern SSN.
  • While a submarine was and in game would still be unlikely unless a very much near dead enemy, never going to win a gun fight with a surface ship, it still had secondary's that did something which is better than nothing.
  • They were faster on the surface than underwater - which given Submarines of the era were still more 'boats that were meant to go underwater' as opposed to 'an underwater vessel that occasionally has to surface'

There were of course some things that weren't correct, such as inability to fire on the surface, as well as general gameplay issues, again your talking about a first run, but that does not change the point of what that line you quoted was which is that by comparison to the current gameplay, in which the ability to stay underwater and operate indefinitely using active homing torpedoes with no AA or guns while maintaining fairly high speed underwater more mimics modern day SSN, the gameplay in the Halloween mode was more akin to how WWI and II submarines operated and behaved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,252
[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

I thought they sucked and brought absolute nothing to the game while making surface combat feel like a ghost town.   At the very least they need to increase the player count to 15 vs 15 when subs are being played.  Leave the 12 vs 12 surface combatants alone but add 3 slots dedicated just for subs.  

Also, it really sucked there was no stealth play with subs.   There needs to be some sort of "Run Silent" mechanic where if a DD or CL is on top of you dropping depth charges, you can go into stealth mode and try to escape detection because you sure as hell aren't outrunning them to get unspotted.  Honestly I feel like I am playing my Halland with a broken engine and no guns when playing a Sub.  The second I am spotted, I am dead. 

Anyway, there is so much wrong with Subs that the whole damn idea just needs to be scrapped because trying to fit them in is just going to much things up and make everyone unhappy in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8
[FLTF2]
Members
17 posts
1,712 battles
19 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

I thought they sucked and brought absolute nothing to the game while making surface combat feel like a ghost town.   At the very least they need to increase the player count to 15 vs 15 when subs are being played.  Leave the 12 vs 12 surface combatants alone but add 3 slots dedicated just for subs.  

Also, it really sucked there was no stealth play with subs.   There needs to be some sort of "Run Silent" mechanic where if a DD or CL is on top of you dropping depth charges, you can go into stealth mode and try to escape detection because you sure as hell aren't outrunning them to get unspotted.  Honestly I feel like I am playing my Halland with a broken engine and no guns when playing a Sub.  The second I am spotted, I am dead. 

Anyway, there is so much wrong with Subs that the whole damn idea just needs to be scrapped because trying to fit them in is just going to much things up and make everyone unhappy in the long run.

That's not how WWII submarine warfare works mate. DD's are subs worst enemy. If you get yourself revealed, you can expect all hell to break loose.

I think with a bit more crafting the devs can make a really new fun line. I will surely play a Uboat, I was born for that! :Smile_izmena:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×