Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Azumazi

Project B65 ((With Color Pictures!!))

B65: Battlecruiser or Large Cruiser?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. With the information in posts 1 and 2, what would you list the B65?

• Original Super A Type designation (CB for USN)
    • Battle Cruiser
    • Not enough data

33 comments in this topic

[RBRDK]
Members
1,187 posts
6,242 battles

View PostAzumazi, on 05 April 2013 - 07:37 AM, said:

Bumping this thing back to the first page since someone in another thread made a new post saying they didn't see this one, so now they can't miss it at the top of the list.

Yeah. Sorry about that Azumazi.

I saw in your Tech Tree Design thread, http://forum.worldof...5085#entry65085 , that the B-65 would be a tier 6 battlecruiser on the IJN nation tree.

I am curious where you might see the B-65b 1942 redesign proposal with the bigger 14.2" guns fitting in on the IJN nation tree?
Edited by daVinci761st

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,992 battles

Its fine, I actually will be doing something more in line with the B65b soon since I've been going over logical steps that the Japanese took on modernizing their fleets from the Fuso and Ise class to Nagato and the Kongo's so I'll be making a new set of charts for the B65b including armor and guns soon enough.

Beta Testers
389 posts
1,007 battles

Here's a drawing of the Project B65 that I found on Shipbucket:

Posted Image

[RBRDK]
Members
1,187 posts
6,242 battles

I saw you didn't have this illustration that I had posted in the other thread; so, I thought I would move it over here.

Posted Image

Edited by daVinci761st

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,992 battles

Alright daVinci, you asked some things about the B65b so I came up with some data going off what they wanted to do with it and I'll sometime this week if I can (working like crazy) will put them into diagrams to give an idea of the changes.

They would have increased the deck armor from 125mm with a 25.4mm weather deck to 156.25mm with 25.4mm weather deck to resist 1 metric ton bombs or 1000kg bombs, this is an increase over the original resistance to 800kg bombs. The face plates on the turrets would have been removed and changed to fit the 14''/45 inch guns in duals including changing the hoists in the turrets, no change in armor for the turrets or belts would have been done due to the increase in weight for the deck armor.

Overall it would have increased the weight by about 2000 tons just for that 31.25mm increase in deck armor across the armored citadel and the changes in hoists, guns, and ammo layouts. Due to this I seriously doubt they would have increased the belt armor unless they lengthened the ship and increased its beam. That's not to say that they wouldn't have possibly due to the experiences they had with the fights in Guadalcanal but I personally cannot say for certain on that at all.

The only other changes I could foresee is an increase in 25mm guns for the ship, actually A LOT more 25mm guns to the tops of the turrets, the sides, basically they probably would have looked a lot like how the Nagato and Yamato looked with all the 25mm gun placements.

Also I should state, most of the plans or information I have seen about the 14''/45 gun upgrades, show them going with dual guns over triples and it seems like a lot of conflicting information on those sources.

Edited by Azumazi

Supertester
1,054 posts
3,245 battles

Is there any way you could add the CB/CA designation to the poll? I'm mixed whether or not to call it a battlecruiser or a large cruiser.  I might even call is a super cruiser, depending on the armor layout and whether or not it breaks a 203mm belt and a 127mm deck

Edited by Coldt

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,992 battles

View PostColdt, on 17 April 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

Is there any way you could add the CB/CA designation to the poll? I'm mixed whether or not to call it a battlecruiser or a large cruiser.  I might even call is a super cruiser, depending on the armor layout and whether or not it breaks a 203mm belt and a 127mm deck

Well Super A type is basically the Japanese equivalent to the CB designation. Instead of using standard CA/CL's they went with grades so basically "Super A" is higher than A grade cruiser. So I guess I could edit the poll to better reflect that for some people.

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,992 battles

Okay time to finally bump this thread after I was gone for 2 months. After doing research and studying Japanese design philosophy I went over I did some cut away's to give an idea of what it might have looked like if designed. Now basically its a mix of the Tone design style meets the Yamato's. Some of it's designs reflect the lessons learned from both, in a sense, you could say it would have been a logical test bed for future ship development by Japan if they hadn't entered the war for some years.

Posted Image

Now turret one here shows a logical design progression with the Bulge better designed attached to the belt armor and above the waterline. The belt is better designed to reduce rupture from impact from a torpedo, an issue the Yamato suffered. Now I also show the deck armor stated for the original design and for the uparmored deck with the 1 metric ton bomb resistance tests.

Posted Image

Here is a cutaway at turret 3 at the rear of the ship, as you see the armor is more inclined as it curbs into the rear and closes off.

Posted Image

This is a possible idea of what the machinery spaces would have looked like if produced. For those of you who know ships, it looks a lot a like the Tone's machinery space, that's because I used it as a template since it seemed logical they would be very much alike due to the beam of the ship and its design.

Posted Image

This is the ship layout design in Lacroix's book that I looked over. It seems to be an artist representation, which for the record most people use as a base to design the B65, but it is not an official design or blueprint, but just an idea.

In my thread here http://forum.worldof...gs-and-layouts/ I posted some more B65 designs including with 14 inch guns and possible AA gun upgrades. Many of the upgrades and concepts I took from Tone and Yamato ship developments along with Ibuki's proposed upgrades.

Edited by Azumazi