You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
gebert906

Kansas - No Conning Tower Armor?

25 comments in this topic

[G-4W]
Members
148 posts
6,188 battles

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I was looking at Kansas’s armor layout and noticed that it doesn’t have an armored conning tower, it’s just the same thickness as the rest of the superstructure. SoDak 20 was apparently designed to have conning tower armor of 406mm on the front and sides, 200mm on the top. 

Does anyone know if the in-game design is intentional by WG or if it is an oversight?

Edited by gebert906

[PYK]
Beta Testers
209 posts
2,419 battles

The armored conning tower is probably hidden inside the bridge of the superstructure. If you look at the conning tower of the Iowa class BB in its latest configuration, it is a metal fortress inside the bridge that is covered by large windows. A shell would penetrate the bridge and then be stopped by the conning tower's armor.

[REVY]
Members
8,091 posts
6,118 battles
2 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

The armored conning tower is probably hidden inside the bridge of the superstructure. If you look at the conning tower of the Iowa class BB in its latest configuration, it is a metal fortress inside the bridge that is covered by large windows. A shell would penetrate the bridge and then be stopped by the conning tower's armor.

I even took some pictures of the conning tower.

IKZdBB7.jpg

HXWBWEe.jpg

IsvXi1I.jpg

• Cool 3

[PYK]
Beta Testers
209 posts
2,419 battles
4 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I even took some pictures of the conning tower.

IKZdBB7.jpg

HXWBWEe.jpg

IsvXi1I.jpg

Excellent photos! Do the navigation officers always work inside the conning tower during normal operation or only go inside when there are threats?

[G-4W]
Members
148 posts
6,188 battles
14 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

Ahh, I see. Thanks. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,146 posts
5,659 battles
Just now, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Is that even a citadel hit anymore

What it is, at least for ships that have exposed conning tower armor, is a place for HE hits to shatter, and to a lesser degree for AP to bounce off of.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,199 posts
24,552 battles
26 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

What it is, at least for ships that have exposed conning tower armor, is a place for HE hits to shatter, and to a lesser degree for AP to bounce off of.

I remember watching a Eurobeat Shikashima or Yamato video where his AP bounced off a Worcester's conning tower :Smile_trollface:

• Haha 1

[WOLF3]
Members
28,199 posts
24,552 battles
6 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

Re: Kansas

Who needs a conning tower when you have a bridge with more windows than Ten-Forward on the Enterprise-D?

Just don't let Troi drive.

[G-4W]
Members
148 posts
6,188 battles

Speaking of conning towers, I was just reminded of this scene. Entertaining, but at 4:25, that’s a 45mm taking out a conning tower with 150mm armor lol. Seeing as it’s a Russian ship doing the damage, I was wonder if WG wrote the scene?

Edited by gebert906

[G-4W]
Members
148 posts
6,188 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Nope. 

I was wondering if there should be some type of mechanic for a destroyed conning tower. Not sure what it would be though. 

[SIM]
Members
5,379 posts
8,889 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

She has empathy for impacts.

[REVY]
Members
8,091 posts
6,118 battles
16 minutes ago, gebert906 said:

Speaking of conning towers, I was just reminded of this scene. Entertaining, but at 4:25, that’s a 45mm taking out a conning tower with 150mm armor lol. Seeing as it’s a Russian ship doing the damage, I was wonder if WG wrote the scene?

In the tv show Saka no Ue no Kumo, during the Battle of Tsushima they show the Russian flagship's conning tower take a HE hit, injuring the Admiral and then they show the Battleship Mikasa's conning tower take a hit, injuring all the younger officers of the ship.  In the words of the @The_Chieftain, it's a significant emotional event, even when the shell fails to penetrate.

Edited by Sventex

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,146 posts
5,659 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I remember watching a Eurobeat Shikashima or Yamato video where his AP bounced off a Worcester's conning tower :Smile_trollface:

Shikishima.  He then repeated the frames in slow motion while playing a clip of Anchors Aweigh.

[FOXY]
Members
1,196 posts
5,458 battles
13 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Shikishima.  He then repeated the frames in slow motion while playing a clip of Anchors Aweigh.

Can we get a link for this, seems funny.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,910 posts
12,318 battles
6 hours ago, gebert906 said:

I was wondering if there should be some type of mechanic for a destroyed conning tower. Not sure what it would be though. 

Temporary loss of steering or communication with friendly ships? Or maybe loss of universal turret aiming?

• Cool 1

[PYK]
Beta Testers
209 posts
2,419 battles
6 hours ago, gebert906 said:

I was advocating for this a while back. The ship should lose steering temporarily because the wheelhouse gets destroyed and the backup system must be activated.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,067 posts
6,022 battles
10 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

That's not who you gotta worry about:

What are Guinan's powers from Star Trek: TNG? - Science Fiction & Fantasy  Stack Exchange

[G-4W]
Members
148 posts
6,188 battles
12 hours ago, Crokodone said:

Temporary loss of steering or communication with friendly ships? Or maybe loss of universal turret aiming?

11 hours ago, Whitebuster said:

I was advocating for this a while back. The ship should lose steering temporarily because the wheelhouse gets destroyed and the backup system must be activated.

Agree with steering loss. What about a gunnery modifier, or is that too much of a penalty? Maybe not though, other ships can lose steering and guns from taking a single salvo. I think it’s an interesting proposal. As communications was mentioned, temporary loss of spotting by teammates’ hydro/radar, or planes? 

• Cool 2

[REVY]
Members
2,500 posts
13,406 battles
On 10/28/2020 at 12:23 PM, gebert906 said:

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I was looking at Kansas’s armor layout and noticed that it doesn’t have an armored conning tower, it’s just the same thickness as the rest of the superstructure. SoDak 20 was apparently designed to have conning tower armor of 406mm on the front and sides, 200mm on the top. 

Does anyone know if the in-game design is intentional by WG or if it is an oversight?

I'll be honest, I haven't looked completely at the Armored scheme of Kansas

That said........

During WW2, the reconstructed BBs did have their armored conning tower removed. It was replaced with a more lightly armored structure.
From wikipedia

Work on West Virginia saw the ship radically altered. In addition to the torpedo bulges, her superstructure was completely revised, with the old heavily armored conning tower being removed and a smaller tower was erected in its place to reduce interference with the anti-aircraft guns' fields of fire. The new tower had been removed from one of the Brooklyn-class cruisers that had recently been rebuilt.

This weight removed allowed more AA guns to be added to the ships, as well as clear the weapon arcs.

So...as Kansas is technically a 'rebuilt' BB for WW2, its highly likely the armored conning tower of the BB was removed, and thus is not modeled in the game.

• Cool 1

[G-4W]
Members
148 posts
6,188 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I'll be honest, I haven't looked completely at the Armored scheme of Kansas

That said........

During WW2, the reconstructed BBs did have their armored conning tower removed. It was replaced with a more lightly armored structure.
From wikipedia

This weight removed allowed more AA guns to be added to the ships, as well as clear the weapon arcs.

So...as Kansas is technically a 'rebuilt' BB for WW2, its highly likely the armored conning tower of the BB was removed, and thus is not modeled in the game.

Interesting, thanks!