Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

The Halloweiner Mode - tips/tricks

31 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,198 posts

Hi all. Just observations on the new Halloween mode. 

1. Divisions: In this mode you can div with a stranger. However, no sooner than you div with them they can - and will - align themselves towards your ship, leave the div and attack you. MAYBE WoWS should have thought about this and NOT ALLOWED a person to be able to leave a div once joined/created. Assinine imo. 
  2. Me, I have yet to see a portal key. Don't know what they look like. Did not see any in-game indicators to direct me towards them. Any tips/help on them would be good.
  3. Allowing total mismatching of ship types to compete. Pity the new players tonight when this morning's players come around and b-slap them back to port. 120 mph torps against stock ships? Joke. I expect there could be a bit of whine coming out tonight. You can, however, get to a cruiser quickly enough.

Since you can't div outside the match, I'm pretty much sure there's no reason to div since you can't trust the other ahem, player, and nothing to prevent them screwing you over... there really is no advantage. Just focus them down the same as any other enemy. 

It is nice when you get sent to port you can immediately jump into another match. You can rollover a lot of matches in a short amount of time. 

Finally - be sure to check for the missions/goals for this mode. 

What's your take on all of it? 

• Haha 1

[CAZA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
565 posts
7,523 battles

It's horrible. I mean the mode would be fine if it was more like last year's, which was to be honest pretty damn fun (despite being repetitive but oh well), but the fact that you can't division before the battle, the fact that you don't seem to get credits/exp after the battles and that you start with a stock ship with no torpedoes only to get rushed by a guy with torpedoes is.. well, bad design.

I don't understand who would want to invest so much time in this, considering the pretty mediocre rewards...

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Members
2,106 posts
11,950 battles
4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

1. Divisions: In this mode you can div with a stranger. However, no sooner than you div with them they can - and will - align themselves towards your ship, leave the div and attack you. MAYBE WoWS should have thought about this and NOT ALLOWED a person to be able to leave a div once joined/created. Assinine imo. 
  2. Me, I have yet to see a portal key. Don't know what they look like. Did not see any in-game indicators to direct me towards them. Any tips/help on them would be good.
  3. Allowing total mismatching of ship types to compete. Pity the new players tonight when this morning's players come around and b-slap them back to port. 120 mph torps against stock ships? Joke. I expect there could be a bit of whine coming out tonight. You can, however, get to a cruiser quickly enough.

Since you can't div outside the match, I'm pretty much sure there's no reason to div since you can't trust the other ahem, player, and nothing to prevent them screwing you over... there really is no advantage. Just focus them down the same as any other enemy. 

It is nice when you get sent to port you can immediately jump into another match. You can rollover a lot of matches in a short amount of time. 

Finally - be sure to check for the missions/goals for this mode. 

The monster or player that has a key will have a blue upside-down triangle over their name.

[SALVO]
Members
9,549 posts
6,988 battles
8 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

That's part of the fun IMO. Backstabbing, lying, cheating... I don't see people complaining about Among us, that's what the game is about. Same thing here, just play the game.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

[WOLF7]
Beta Testers
330 posts
10,538 battles

I'm enjoying it.

A div gives you help to stay alive, but you're all in it for yourselves in the end.  The point where you turn on each other is part of the fun.

As said, keys are blue triangles that drop from some of the lobster-eyed guys.

Rewards are definitely pretty meh.  I'll agree with you there. 

It is nice though that the new crop of Battleship Event missions can be completed in this mode.  That's the major benefit of it.  Otherwise, just for kicks.

[META_]
Members
324 posts
4,403 battles

Anyone know if it's possible to change the division invite keybind?  Not seeing it in the settings.  I have my movement bound to EDSF instead of WASD, so I send out a division invite every time I'm looking (or shooting) at someone and turning right.  Don't want to change my whole keybind setup just for this mode.

Edited by Fel0niusMonk

[WOLFG]
Members
800 posts
15,813 battles

No XP or Credits, especially no XP that counts towards the daily containers, is a turn off for me. Doubt I will play the Key Battles much since it already takes me too long as it is to get those containers and complete the daily missions in randoms and co-op when I cannot get wins in randoms.

Edited by Colonel_Potter
  • Cool 1

[META_]
Members
324 posts
4,403 battles
1 minute ago, Colonel_Potter said:

No XP or Credits, especially no XP that counts towards the daily containers, is a turn off for me. Doubt I will play the Key Battles much since it already takes me too long as it is to get those containers and complete the daily missions in randoms and co-op when I cannot get wins in randoms.

They did change the daily missions so that the first three (including the first coal mission) at least are completed by damage.  You can easily get the damage numbers they require in the event mode, so it might be worth playing 3 quick games just for that (plus easy progress on the US Battleships missions).

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
800 posts
15,813 battles
3 minutes ago, Fel0niusMonk said:

They did change the daily missions so that the first three (including the first coal mission) at least are completed by damage.  You can easily get the damage numbers they require in the event mode, so it might be worth playing 3 quick games just for that (plus easy progress on the US Battleships missions).

I know, completed those first three easily in Key Battles. It's daily missions I am not worried about too much, it's the XP for the containers. I always collect all three for the coal, and doing the Key Battles keeps me away from that.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,412 battles
46 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

That's part of the fun IMO. Backstabbing, lying, cheating... I don't see people complaining about Among us, that's what the game is about. Same thing here, just play the game.

I think people that complain about CVs griefing would have an significant emotional aversion to a mode that INCENTIVIZES being toxic...

[SALVO]
Members
9,549 posts
6,988 battles
Just now, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I think people that complain about CVs griefing would have an significant emotional aversion to a mode that INCENTIVIZES being toxic...

hahaha... not really, if the confessed objective of the game is "being toxic" and we all have the same chance at playing the same game, it can be fun. The "toxic" nature of that "other" game mechanic comes from not having a chance to "repay in find".

• Funny 1

[TFFOX]
Members
1,136 posts
4,378 battles
57 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

yay... my friends dont read the forums so I'm gonna pull a prank on em. Invite em to a div in a key battle, then backstab them and use my Valkyrie's speed boost to run away to the portal

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,412 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralFox08 said:

yay... my friends dont read the forums so I'm gonna pull a prank on em. Invite em to a div in a key battle, then backstab them and use my Valkyrie's speed boost to run away to the portal

You cant invite them prior to loading in.

You would have to sync drop...

[TFFOX]
Members
1,136 posts
4,378 battles
Just now, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

You cant invite them prior to loading in.

You would have to sync drop...

well it all depends on if we get into teh same battle. 

[SALVO]
Members
9,549 posts
6,988 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralFox08 said:

it may be tricky to get them into the same match, sync drop and pray for laughs.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,691 posts
19,781 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I don't like the apparent lack of XP or credits, though I accept we're building up points toward T8/9 permacamos and some captains with every battle. I guess I'll have to see how quickly I accumulate points toward all that.

I currently have over 400,000 coal, so I can afford to miss out on some of that; and I recently acquired a few new ships in my port, so I'm not in a mood for hard tech-tree grinding. This could be a welcome diversion.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
917 posts
6,729 battles
46 minutes ago, Croda said:

I'm enjoying it.

A div gives you help to stay alive, but you're all in it for yourselves in the end.  The point where you turn on each other is part of the fun.

As said, keys are blue triangles that drop from some of the lobster-eyed guys.

Rewards are definitely pretty meh.  I'll agree with you there. 

It is nice though that the new crop of Battleship Event missions can be completed in this mode.  That's the major benefit of it.  Otherwise, just for kicks.

From what it looks like though (haven't tried it yet) the requirements are MUCH higher for the key fight than for normal play to complete the BB event missions.

[META_]
Members
324 posts
4,403 battles
2 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

From what it looks like though (haven't tried it yet) the requirements are MUCH higher for the key fight than for normal play to complete the BB event missions.

They're higher, but it's also much, much easier to get kills and deal damage (which are the only two stats that they track for the missions).  The monster kills count as ship kills, and even if you die early, you'll probably still top 200k damage.

[SALTY]
Beta Testers
726 posts
8,354 battles

There are several faults with the mode, including the idea that you have to stop any and all progression in the game to play it (zero xp, zero credits).

But the worst of all is the fact that they made the mode incredibly boring.

[CAP]
Members
527 posts
19,103 battles
3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

hehe, well it goes into spectator mode and cuts you out of chat for a reason i'm sure. :) 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[FOXY]
Members
3,394 posts
8,171 battles
2 hours ago, Kartaugh said:

There are several faults with the mode, including the idea that you have to stop any and all progression in the game to play it (zero xp, zero credits).

But the worst of all is the fact that they made the mode incredibly boring.

So much this, further the rewards are abysmal for the amount of time it takes. I got a grand total of 900 points and if thats what i can expect...imma pass.

I need the coal, exp and silver badly. :/

[BUOY]
Members
1,492 posts
17,536 battles
3 hours ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

That's not an issue, the monsters count as ships, the first two 'gimme' monsters add up to 110k HP and all the players have superheals. I also haven't seen any toxic chat yet and they disable chat when you die / escape.

The huge issue for me is no XP / Credits... even if it gave some pittance of say 100 FXP / 10k credits per game (or you had the option of buying FXP / ECXP with BP) this mode would be a lot more enticing to play past the very few main rewards, but as it is it just feels like this mode could've been SO much better.

[SALVO]
Members
9,549 posts
6,988 battles
5 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

The huge issue for me is no XP / Credits... even if it gave some pittance of say 100 FXP / 10k credits per game (or you had the option of buying FXP / ECXP with BP) this mode would be a lot more enticing to play past the very few main rewards, but as it is it just feels like this mode could've been SO much better.

I'm seeing in the armory you can exchange the tokens for credits, premium time and camos. Looks profitable enough imo.

• Meh 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,717 posts
19,689 battles
5 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:
  1. Me, I have yet to see a portal key. Don't know what they look like. Did not see any in-game indicators to direct me towards them. Any tips/help on them would be good.. 

Look for the floating lobster rolls, they have the keys every match. When someone kills one that is holding the key you'll see the upside down triangle indicator on the map and hear the audible warning/alert. 

The lack of credits and XP hurts the key mode, plus to be honest it's boring. I finished up the first Battleships 2 stage quite easily playing it but lost interest after that and logged out. I was really looking forward to something with a Halloween theme, which this clearly is not. I get the fact that you're grinding for some camos or whatever but I still have unassigned Epoch and even last year's new year's eve camos so the reward for me is meh.  

Also the killing your own team thing is a big turnoff. 

DIE YOU TRAITOR! - Cheezburger - Funny Memes | Funny Pictures

Sign in to follow this