Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WM1957

Russian Cruiser Line

13 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
215 posts
6,323 battles

Which line of Russian cruisers is the best and why? I am currently grinding the Russian cruiser and am up to Schors.

[NFJF]
Members
2 posts
3,527 battles
8 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

Which line of Russian cruisers is the best and why? I am currently grinding the Russian cruiser and am up to Schors.

It depends, do you want a more bow tanking type ship with lower RPM but hard hitting AP? Or would you like a more HE spamming type cruiser like a Des Moines? Up to your preference both at good ships.

Members
3,415 posts
40,676 battles
18 minutes ago, WM1957 said:

Just go up the line with the biggest guns. The other line seldom uses torpedoes and while the rate of fire is 🔥, it's a sure thing that you will only like it if you like 🔥.

The big gun line is a bit controversial. Just ask anyone.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,180 posts
24,550 battles
18 minutes ago, fighter067 said:

It depends, do you want a more bow tanking type ship with lower RPM but hard hitting AP? Or would you like a more HE spamming type cruiser like a Des Moines? Up to your preference both at good ships.

At the very best, they only have 25mm bows, bow tanking is actually a big risk for almost all RU Cruisers.  Some far more risky.

Bow Tanking isn't viable for even the CA side of the line.  Even Petropavlovsk still ends up eating a bunch of bow pens because her 50mm icebreaker doesn't ride high like Moskva's.

Alexander Nevsky in the CL side of the line is so different from the prior RU CLs that her theme is alien-like.  She doesn't represent 9 prior tiers of RU Cruiser play at all.

Moskva, the old RU Cruiser tech tree Tier X, and possibly Steel ship Stalingrad (I don't own this one), are the only viable bow tanking examples.  You don't even want to bow tank with Super Cruiser Kronshtadt, that's how she easily eats pens and citadels.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLFG]
Members
959 posts

Having all three, they are very different ships when it comes to how to play them.  'Best' is going to be very subjective.  For me it depends on how I like to play.

Moskva.  Bow tanking, fire starter.  Be prepared to be pummeled but head on it can take it against other cruisers.

Nesky.  My personal favorite.  Not going to carry many games.  Long distance fire starter.  Don't get hit.  Nice gun angles.  

Petrop.  They say this does really well in clan battles.  Wouldn't know.  This can take much more of a hit than a Nevsky, but still not much.  Have to look harder for good shots.

Just my opinion.  Good luck.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

Nevsky is probably the "tankiest" CL in the game which is pretty nice. Your still going to get punished if you position incorrectly but not as badly as you would in any other CL.   The Petro is more like a Super Cruiser.  The guns are not as big and its not quite a tanky as the "official" Super Cruisers in the game like Alaska, Kronshtadt and Agir though it is probably better than the Azuma.  This being the case, the Petro is going to play a bit more like a BB so if you tend to like BBs more than fragile cruisers, the Petro is the way to go.

Honestly I would probably go for both.  I would probably pick Nevsky first (Which is what I have done) and then work on the Petro.

[PYK]
Beta Testers
208 posts
2,419 battles
2 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Nevsky is probably the "tankiest" CL in the game which is pretty nice. Your still going to get punished if you position incorrectly but not as badly as you would in any other CL.   The Petro is more like a Super Cruiser.  The guns are not as big and its not quite a tanky as the "official" Super Cruisers in the game like Alaska, Kronshtadt and Agir though it is probably better than the Azuma.  This being the case, the Petro is going to play a bit more like a BB so if you tend to like BBs more than fragile cruisers, the Petro is the way to go.

Honestly I would probably go for both.  I would probably pick Nevsky first (Which is what I have done) and then work on the Petro.

I feel that Petro is a lot more durable than Alaska when angled. Alaska relies on its agility to dodge shells and its armor is on CA level like a Des Moines. On the other hand, Petro can rely on its armor, but it has the agility of a BB. That's why Petros are all bow tanking next to an island in the most recent KotS.  

[WOLF3]
Members
28,180 posts
24,550 battles
6 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

I'd agree on Petropavlovsk.  It's the closest thing to a "tech tree Super Cruiser" in the game right now.  Outside the current IJN B-65s (Azuma, Yoshino), the other Super Cruisers are AP oriented also.  Petropavlovsk lives on her punishing AP.

And yes, you can get both.  If one grinded to either Tier X, most of the work is already done, just work off the High Tier of the other split.

bth.gif&f=1&nofb=1

[NFJF]
Members
2 posts
3,527 battles
13 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

At the very best, they only have 25mm bows, bow tanking is actually a big risk for almost all RU Cruisers.  Some far more risky.

Bow Tanking isn't viable for even the CA side of the line.  Even Petropavlovsk still ends up eating a bunch of bow pens because her 50mm icebreaker doesn't ride high like Moskva's.

Alexander Nevsky in the CL side of the line is so different from the prior RU CLs that her theme is alien-like.  She doesn't represent 9 prior tiers of RU Cruiser play at all.

Moskva, the old RU Cruiser tech tree Tier X, and possibly Steel ship Stalingrad (I don't own this one), are the only viable bow tanking examples.  You don't even want to bow tank with Super Cruiser Kronshtadt, that's how she easily eats pens and citadels.

I consider my playstyle in petro to be more bow tanking than anything else. It's not agile enough to play in open water and its radar/hydro is good for finding openings when you can but IDK... what kind of playstyle do you use with it?

[PYK]
Beta Testers
208 posts
2,419 battles
22 minutes ago, fighter067 said:

I consider my playstyle in petro to be more bow tanking than anything else. It's not agile enough to play in open water and its radar/hydro is good for finding openings when you can but IDK... what kind of playstyle do you use with it?

I also bow tank in Petro like a Moskva because I can't afford to get citadelled on my broadside. You just have to get closer to the enemies at 10-12 km.

Members
374 posts
2,509 battles
19 hours ago, WM1957 said:

Thanks for asking - I'm also at Shchors. and also wondering about this.

Related: thoughts on P. Bagration?

[PHD]
Members
215 posts
6,323 battles
4 minutes ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

Thanks for asking - I'm also at Shchors. and also wondering about this.

Related: thoughts on P. Bagration?

P. Bagration is a good cruiser with good to very good main guns. the armor is a bit on the weak side, but it is not German. I have it also.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this