Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

8.3km Secondary Range T5 BB ...Interesting (PVE Thread)

39 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
12,586 posts
26,193 battles

Oklahoma is agonizingly slow (reload, speed, and turret rotation - the suck trifecta :Smile_sad:) but 8.3km range with a full sec build looks interesting for T5. The ship is also gorgeous (especially with the special perma camo). Sadly IRL is intruding and because WG was so late with the update I don't have time to try it now but figured I would post up a screenshot for you all. Will post impressions later.

done.jpg

oklahoma.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,771 posts
26,650 battles
6 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I think he bought the containers, which gave the collection pieces.

Ah, yes, I suppose that'd be the route to OK this early on....

[WOLFG]
Members
10,706 posts
9,918 battles
2 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Ah, yes, I suppose that'd be the route to OK this early on....

I was checking out the armory/shop while on a skype meeting (no camera).  It is amazing how many meetings I have to go to where I am not expected to say anything.

• Funny 1

[GRAVE]
Members
1,364 posts
19,536 battles
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

reload, speed, and turret rotation - the suck trifecta :Smile_sad:) but 8.3km range with a full sec build looks interesting for T5

So a Mikasa at T5: everything about it sucks except the secondaries, although these secondaries have improved accuracy (Mass/Georgia/Ohio/German CVs dispersion) plus OK should have the US BB tech tree improved heal .6%/sec rather than .5%/sec

Members
3,433 posts
40,926 battles
26 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I was checking out the armory/shop while on a skype meeting (no camera).  It is amazing how many meetings I have to go to where I am not expected to say anything.

Those are the best meetings. You can mute the mic in case that chimichanga you ate wants revenge by making noise.

If by chance you have to talk, you just say by holding a sign: " Mic is dead, Jim."

*Note, there is always at least one Jim in those meetings.  This usually works followed by laughter since Star Trek jokes are always funny. 

[RVNHQ]
Members
316 posts
9,932 battles

Nice work, Admiral Thunder.

I bought ten of the premium containers because I needed the special economic signals and I'm already sitting at 10/16.

[PVE]
Members
12,586 posts
26,193 battles
2 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

@AdmiralThunder did you buy your OK?

Yes and no. I bought a crate bundle that let me finish the collection that awards the ship. I was almost out of dragon flags so said screw it and just bought the crates. Got a lot of flags plus good camos, Coal, and FXP. 

[PVE]
Members
12,586 posts
26,193 battles
3 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

If I happen to get the OK, my Georgia Halsey captain will have a place to reside downtier.

I am trying my Georgia/MA/MA B Capt in it = AFT/BFT/MS.

Can pen 21MM which will pen most T5 BB plating (19MM). Need IFHE if you want to pen higher tier BB plating.

[PVE]
Members
12,586 posts
26,193 battles

Ok some quick 1st impressions (and they are the ONLY thing quick about this ship)...

1. This thing is SALOOOOOW and extremely sluggish! Kansas and Minnesota feel like sports cars compared to it. I love US Standards but this thing is just horrifically slow (19.7 knots base and 20.6 knots w/ speed flag - T4 Wyoming is 20.5 knots base so why is a T5 slower????). It really loses speed bad in any kind of turn too and it takes forever to get going again. 
  2. The main gun reload of 40 sec is just stupid. No sane reason why this ship should be saddled with such a ridiculous reload.
  3. The turrets take forever and an age to rotate. 48.6 sec WITH EM. :cap_wander:
  4. Armor is ok vs same tier and lower because the gun calibers are smaller, and similar caliber higher tier, but the bigger guns at T6 and T7 will just wreck you even angled just like NY and TX. Oklahoma has significantly thicker belt armor than those 2 but it gets punched through the nose just like they do
  5. AA. Don't expect much from it.
  6. Main gun accuracy is half way decent for the tier and the stock gun range is fine. Most salvos are pretty tight even out at long range. However, the guns seem weak. Sure you can nuke low tier Cruisers with 1 shot but BB's seem like tough targets for it. I had a Nagato sitting stuck broadside to me and not moving less than 8km off. Full salvo got 1 pen and 9 shatters. 9 shatters on a broadside Nagato, close, that has very weak armor. I don't get it? Very few big hits so far in the early games despite decent accuracy as said. Mostly 3-5K. Best salvo was full HP blap of a Kotovsky but heck most anything can do that. I never have had this kind of poor performance from NY or TX with the same guns? RNG maybe? Hope so.
  7. And the one everyone wants to know about = secondary guns. They are "ok". Very good range for a T5 BB at 8.3km (full build w/ flag) but the reload is kind of slow. The ship is supposed to have improved accuracy for sec guns, plus I have my high tier Georgia/MA/MA B Capt on with MS, but the sec guns accuracy is not stellar. They do however seem to start a lot of fires which is good.

Overall it seems kind of meh. The best thing about the ship is the model and camo. I don't expect a lot from a T5 BB, especially one they are giving away free, but come on WG. The ship's speed, the slow turrets, and that asinine reload can NOT be justified just for a T5 with 1/2 way decent secondary guns. This ship would be meh with 12km sec range. Needs to be bumped up to 21 knots and have that reload cut down to at least 34 sec for starters. 

Best game overall so far and then best sec hit game...

1.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
Members
4,677 posts
20,617 battles

Thanks for the information !  It will be several weeks before I get through the event.

If I ever get the OK, it is just another Snowflake place holder......

[WOLF9]
Members
916 posts
20,959 battles

Other than having a collection complete, the ship just does not seem that interesting.   If I get her, ok, otherwise, ok also.

[WOLFG]
Members
10,706 posts
9,918 battles

Welp, two crates for finishing the first set of directives, and I already have a duplicate.

Looks like I know which finger is being waved at me in this event.

Looking through the missions, it seems pretty easy to complete.  And the prize is winning a lower tier Kansas.

Members
110 posts

I'm sadly not going to have the play time to finish the directives, but since WG has said the collection will return for coal several patches from now, I'm definitely not spending money to get Oklahoma early. I want her in my port because I want all of the USN ships in my port- especially the real ones- but holy nuts she looks painful to play. I think she's going to spend a lot of time floating at anchor looking pretty when I finally get her.

[SVF]
Members
1,775 posts
2,335 battles
22 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Main gun accuracy is half way decent for the tier and the stock gun range is fine. Most salvos are pretty tight even out at long range. However, the guns seem weak. Sure you can nuke low tier Cruisers with 1 shot but BB's seem like tough targets for it. I had a Nagato sitting stuck broadside to me and not moving less than 8km off. Full salvo got 1 pen and 9 shatters. 9 shatters on a broadside Nagato, close, that has very weak armor. I don't get it? Very few big hits so far in the early games despite decent accuracy as said. Mostly 3-5K. Best salvo was full HP blap of a Kotovsky but heck most anything can do that. I never have had this kind of poor performance from NY or TX with the same guns? RNG maybe? Hope so.

There's an explanation for that, and it's not a pretty one:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/228765-buyer-beware-uss-oklahoma/

[IRNBN]
Members
3,699 posts
10,762 battles
On 10/28/2020 at 10:16 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

Oklahoma is agonizingly slow (reload, speed, and turret rotation - the suck trifecta :Smile_sad:) but 8.3km range with a full sec build looks interesting for T5. The ship is also gorgeous (especially with the special perma camo). Sadly IRL is intruding and because WG was so late with the update I don't have time to try it now but figured I would post up a screenshot for you all. Will post impressions later.

Did you see @Lert's PSA about the pre-release Krupp nerf?

How are the main guns working for you, penetration-wise?

[FRR]
Members
788 posts
On 10/28/2020 at 10:16 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

Oklahoma is agonizingly slow (reload, speed, and turret rotation - the suck trifecta

39 minutes ago, landcollector said:

However, the guns seem weak.

22 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Overall it seems kind of meh.

Why is Wargaming even selling that garbage? More importantly, who would buy that floating garbage?

[WOLF8]
Members
7,593 posts
6,366 battles

Still, this feels like the whole Massachusetts thing all over again: an USN BB overtakes German ones, in regards to the secondary prowess.

Poor Konig, with her secondary range capped at 6.8 km... lol. :Smile_hiding:

[PVE]
Members
12,586 posts
26,193 battles
2 hours ago, landcollector said:

There's an explanation for that, and it's not a pretty one:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/228765-buyer-beware-uss-oklahoma/

Thanks. That explains so much. :cap_like:

2 hours ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

Did you see @Lert's PSA about the pre-release Krupp nerf?

How are the main guns working for you, penetration-wise?

I am experiencing the issue Lert posted about. It is bad how easy the shells shatter and how poor the pen is. Best example is when I had a Nagato stuck sitting dead in the water full broadside to me at less than 8km. All 10 shells hit it square mid but only got 1 pen and NINE shatters. NINE on a broadside Nagato that has crap armor. Just not good. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,677 posts
20,617 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Thanks. That explains so much. :cap_like:

I am experiencing the issue Lert posted about. It is bad how easy the shells shatter and how poor the pen is. Best example is when I had a Nagato stuck sitting dead in the water full broadside to me at less than 8km. All 10 shells hit it square mid but only got 1 pen and NINE shatters. NINE on a broadside Nagato that has crap armor. Just not good. 

Fearless Leader, maybe the Oklahoma is just meant as a Snowflake ship?  Some ship you use once or twice a year.......  Kind of like a loss leader kind of advertising to draw players into spending for the chests????

Edited by Asym_KS

Sign in to follow this