You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SedatedApe

I Hate DDs

86 comments in this topic

[NASSF]
[NASSF]
Members
172 posts
16,470 battles

Keep seeing so many discussions about CV hate.

Fair is fair....lets have one for those that hate DDs and how they have unlimited torps, how some are invisible until the are 8 feet away, and how they don't have muzzle flash while gunning from smoke.

Here's the discussion many of you have been waiting for!!!

Let the games begin... :cap_horn:

• Cool 7
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Boring 10
  • Meh 24

[RBMK]
Members
2,339 posts
36,760 battles
8 minutes ago, SedatedApe said:

Fair is fair....lets have one for those that hate DDs and how they have unlimited torps, how some are invisible until the are 8 feet away, and how they don't have muzzle flash while gunning from smoke.

I love DDs. I love playing them and against them. No matter if they have smoke or no smoke. Torps or no torps. Rapid fire guns or not. Miniscule detection. Nope it doesn't matter in the least because....

I can find them/hunt them down and so can my teammates. They can be destroyed. I can avoid their torps and get out of their gun and or spotting range. I and my teammates can counter them whether I'm in a BB, CA or DD.

CVs on the other hand...........essentially all a surface ship can do is just hope the CV captain sucks. Very little in the way to mitigate damage or put up a meaningful defense.

And that's why that ship type is broken and breeds so much toxicity in the game.

• Cool 13
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 6

[SALVO]
Members
3,718 posts
7,569 battles
24 minutes ago, SedatedApe said:

So this isn't really about DDs ... Its about you having hurt feelings....  BTW  why DDs ?  Since when are DDs the polar opposite to CVs? 

how they have unlimited torps

Torpedoes are fare more limited then Planes DDs don't get to have 100 of them sitting ready in their launchers.  If you are are really going to go with this line then most certainly planes are unlimited.   Also ALL ship classes have  "unlimited" torps by your standard.  

how some are invisible until the are 8 feet away

Doesn't happen.  Minimum detection distance for all ships  are the same. 

how they don't have muzzle flash while gunning from smoke

Nobody has muzzle flash when concealed in smoke. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 8
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 5

Members
2,237 posts
9,842 battles

The thing I hate about DDs is the only way to dodge torps is preemptively turn, which only ever brings you into the torp spread instead.

It doesnt really feel like an expression skill, moreso getting lucky on the "turn gacha".

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[WHS]
Beta Testers
1,053 posts
12,536 battles

Nerf DD! The only class that's ridiculously over powered compared to real life ;) 

• Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[ROCKR]
Members
366 posts
15,655 battles

I hate the spamming of "I need Intel" one second into the match. 8 ships on one square, closest to spawn is a biggie, too.

• Cool 1

[NASSF]
[NASSF]
Members
172 posts
16,470 battles

For those who showed up and JUST LOVE THEIR DDs...welcome, but this isn't a discussion about LOVING DDs...it's about HATING THEM.

And no @eviltane I'm a BB player 85% of the time, take out my cruisers 12% of the time, and the rest is CV play. So I have no "hurt feeling"...but if you ask nicely, you can feel whatever you'd like.

This is a genuine "Hate DD" discussion. There's so much not to like about them, especially when you get into the higher tiers.

They are the class that has the most "I Win" ships in the game. And WG just keeps making more.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 5

[NASSF]
[NASSF]
Members
172 posts
16,470 battles
2 minutes ago, Bonfire79 said:

I hate the spamming of "I need Intel" one second into the match. 8 ships on one square, closest to spawn is a biggie, too.

I just tell them to "start shooting the red ones first" when they ask for intel

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLF4]
Members
896 posts
12,339 battles

Damn it - I'll take the bait, I guess.

I can see you are a BB main (wowsnumbers stat site) - but should have enough matches in various DDs (Mahan, Kidd, T61) to have a fair understanding of the challenges playing them represents.

I'd recommend pushing a couple of DD lines to T9 and 10 before passing much judgement on the class in general.  Between long range, long duration hydro, radar and the ever present CVs, it's not a simple class to play - and less so now than years past

I don't play CVs - so leaving them out of the conversation - it's my experience that DDs are the most difficult class to consistently play well.

But the emphasis on "consistently play well".

There are a lot of folks that play DDs, but are not good at them for one reason or another - they either don't really get how DDs can best contribute to the team, or they just don't think fast enough to make good decisions when the 12km radar fires up and the priority target indicator leaps to 6.

I used to be a DD main - but don't play them as often as I used to.  I find it more enjoyable, these days - to play a little further back in cruisers and battleships - still make a contribution to the match, but in a far more relaxed way.

Again - I'd recommend pushing a few TT DD lines into the higher tiers, with an eye to improved stats in them - before passing (frankly) flawed judgements on them.

Edited by ddoubletapp1
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,718 posts
7,569 battles
1 minute ago, SedatedApe said:

For those who showed up and JUST LOVE THEIR DDs...welcome, but this isn't a discussion about LOVING DDs...it's about HATING THEM.

You don't seem to have much of an idea of how forum discussions work. 

1. You can never control the actual content and evolution of a thread.

2.  Even the " I hate CV discussion" draws all the CV defense forces into it. 

4 minutes ago, SedatedApe said:

There's so much not to like about them, especially when you get into the higher tiers.

They are the class that has the most "I Win" ships in the game. And WG just keeps making more.

Their Torps are the weapons with the lowest hit chance in the game.  Which is also the easiest to avoid class in the game. 

While at the same time it is the most vulnerable and riskiest to play class of the game.   For DDs their effectiveness is entirely decided by the skill of the player ....... unless there are CVs with rockets around which get zero risk point blank attacks on DDs all game long. 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[RBMK]
Members
2,339 posts
36,760 battles
7 minutes ago, SedatedApe said:

And no @eviltane I'm a BB player 85% of the time, take out my cruisers 12% of the time, and the rest is CV play. So I have no "hurt feeling"...but if you ask nicely, you can feel whatever you'd like.

This is a genuine "Hate DD" discussion. There's so much not to like about them, especially when you get into the higher tiers.

Why hate on DDs? They're extremely fragile and typically are at risk of being sent to port in short order. Captains of well played DDs should always be commended.

....And they don't get to play another 2 minutes after their battle ends.

• Cool 3

[KWF]
Members
6,713 posts
7,321 battles
28 minutes ago, TheBlackWind said:

Nerf DD! The only class that's ridiculously over powered compared to real life ;) 

Compared to real life for each Yamato class ship there should be 49 Gearings based on numbers alone. You can't really compare this stuff.

13 minutes ago, SedatedApe said:

I'm pretty sure you can find something to hate about each and every class. Constant fire setting, camping cruisers behind islands filled to the brim with consumables, BBs being stupidly tanky at times and able to devastate everything, stealthy DDs that can ruin your day, incredibly annoying CVs to deal with. 

What DDs possess compared to the rest of the classes is a high skill floor with an equally high skill ceiling.

The average DD player will do a bit of damage, maybe get a cap and die eventually, or stick to long range torping that isn't that difficult to avoid.

The good DD player will be able to dominate enemy DDs, spot, cap, deal damage and in general carry his team. Believe me when I tell you this, being able to squeeze 110% out of your little fragile ship and turn battles around by playing to your strengths is one of the most gratifying experiences in WoWs for me.

Bottom line, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but in general it helps to have a more spherical view on things.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
770 posts
16,886 battles
48 minutes ago, SedatedApe said:

13% survival vs 49%, ave damage 13k vs 35k, typical of a CV defender.  

Edited by brdhntr
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

Me thinks OP still hasn't developed his spidey senses and drives his BBs in straight lines.

There are captain skills and upgrades that can help you with those confangled torpedoes.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Members
696 posts
8,275 battles
13 minutes ago, SedatedApe said:

let's see.... dd is the rock, paper, scissor counter to bb, and you play bb 85% of the time.  And you hate the ship that counters your class.  It makes sense doesn't it?  Play another class, heck play some dd, learn the strength and weakness of it.  Learn how cruisers can wreck your day, how some bb are incredibly hard to torp based on what they are doing.  It will be more enlightening to your bb experience.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[NASSF]
[NASSF]
Members
172 posts
16,470 battles
6 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

Damn it - I'll take the bait, I guess.

I can see you are a BB main (wowsnumbers stat site) - but should have enough matches in various DDs (Mahan, Kidd, T61) to have a fair understanding of the challenges playing them represents.

I'd recommend pushing a couple of DD lines to T9 and 10 before passing much judgement on the class in general.  Between long range, long duration hydro, radar and the ever present CVs.

I don't play CVs - so leaving them out of the conversation - it's my experience that DDs are the most difficult class to consistently play well.

But the emphasis on "consistently play well".

There are a lot of folks that play DDs, but are not good at them for one reason or another - they either don't really get how DDs can best contribute to the team, or they just don't think fast enough to make good decisions when the 12km radar fires up and the priority target indicator leaps to 6.

I used to be a DD main - but don't play them as often as I used to.  I find it more enjoyable, these days - to play a little further back in cruisers and battleships - still make a contribution to the match, but in a far more relaxed way.

Again - I'd recommend pushing a few TT DD lines into the higher tiers, with an eye to improved stats in them - before passing (frankly) flawed judgements on them.

Thanks for your reply, which is not only informative it is nicely stated!

I know a couple that can play DDs "consistently well" and they joined me in my Clan. Of course not even great players can play great all the time....it's just the way it is.

As for my DD play...I have pulled some really great matches out of my a$$ in a DD. With my Kidd my record stands at 54 planes down, with the T61 I scored some outrageous points with torp hits and flooding. I know anyone can get better just by playing any class more often and with a proper mindset.

I see so many on the "HATE CV" side that do not know the truth...and unknowingly lie about them. There is a limited number of planes BUT there are also more then one squadron of each type on the hanger deck. There are 2 of each, for instance, on the Lexington. So there are 6 squadrons ready to fly, basically, at the beginning of the match. After those are flown off the deck....it takes forever to get even a partial squadron ready to fly.

Thanks for your reply!

• Cool 2

[-1]
Members
829 posts
12,682 battles
45 minutes ago, SedatedApe said:

Here is the big difference: DD has to get close to launch torps and there is a high chance being deleted; it's a high risk/high reward gameplay. CV sits back in safety most of the time.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[NASSF]
[NASSF]
Members
172 posts
16,470 battles
9 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Why hate on DDs? They're extremely fragile and typically are at risk of being sent to port in short order. Captains of well played DDs should always be commended.

....And they don't get to play another 2 minutes after their battle ends.

I'm thinking of starting a "I HATE..." discussion for all the classes.

Gotta keep it far and balanced :Smile_Default:

edit: @warheart1992 was getting to this reply when you added your's

Edited by SedatedApe
  • Boring 1

[-1]
Members
829 posts
12,682 battles
Just now, SedatedApe said:

Should I start threads "I HATE TROLLS" to keep you balanced?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[META_]
Members
1,840 posts
19,067 battles
50 minutes ago, SedatedApe said:

If it makes you feel any better in my French all I do is cap and search all game for lone slow battleships and parked cruisers by islands to delete...I even have a video dedicated just to this (drive by deletion) my YouTube channel is Meta_man2002 if I listen closely I hear the screams and keyboard smashes of BB players in the video, hooopphahhhjjjjjjjh

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,489 posts
6,975 battles
3 minutes ago, SedatedApe said:

I HATE Epicenter

[NASSF]
[NASSF]
Members
172 posts
16,470 battles
6 minutes ago, 1SneakyDevil said:

Me thinks OP still hasn't developed his spidey senses and drives his BBs in straight lines.

There are captain skills and upgrades that can help you with those confangled torpedoes.

Might want to check my record before you start looking like....well, as you look right here.

• Sad 1

[NASSF]
[NASSF]
Members
172 posts
16,470 battles
4 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

Should I start threads "I HATE TROLLS" to keep you balanced?

You can certainly do what you'd like and start any discussion you think others would find interesting....just as I've done here.

Link it...I might participate. But in a nicer fashion then many have here so far.