Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mailman653

The Soviet Pepsi Navy

6 comments in this topic

[TF16B]
Modder
666 posts
818 battles

So, various articles quote almost the same thing, "17 diesel-powered attack submarines, a cruiser, a destroyer and a frigate, then threw in a few civilian oil tankers". My question is, what ships were these? Is it known what class of ships were in the deal, or the names of the ships? Were they WW2 era ships, post war ships? What about the subs? :fish_book:

[KWF]
Members
4,951 posts
6,612 battles

Opened a thread on it a while back on the subject. 

Long story short, based on some data from wikipedia and navypedia Whiskey class could be the subs and Aleksandr Nevsky, a Sverdlov class was the cruiser. 

That said, that's just my theory based on the dates these ships were scrapped. No idea on the frigates and destroyer.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
10,959 posts

They look like Kotlin class destroyers, which also look like Chinese Luda class destroyers from which they were derived, and Romeo or Foxtrot class submarines.

Technologically, the Romeo class is a derivative of the German Type XXI U-boat.  The Kotlins are based on the Neustrashimy class, namely mods that make the newer class cheaper to build and mass produce.  The Neustrashimy is Tier 9 in WoWS, and is one turret short of the Grozny, which it also resembles.  

So this gives you a perspective where they stand between World War 2 and the Cold War era.  

• Thanks 1

[JFSOC]
[JFSOC]
Members
1,582 posts
4,753 battles

The top photo is an unmodified Kotlin class destroyer.  Which one?  No idea as I was unable to locate that hull number and they aren't sequential.

The submarines are Whiskey class boats

The bottom picture is a Riga class frigate.  Without even a hull number, which one is anyone's guess.  One unique thing about the one in the photo is it has a stub mainmast aft.  That was for an ECM suite and there were only a couple of this class that got them although the name of the individual boats isn't known, at least that I can find.

Edited by Murotsu

Sign in to follow this