You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MBT808

Week of Toxicity

24 comments in this topic

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
142 posts
11,330 battles

Just playing the last week of the US battleship part 1 event, me and my clan mates noticed some major increase in toxicity among those playing this week. At times it felt close to WoT levels of toxicity in some of the matches that I played in the random battles. Not sure if it was just my clan and me, so I was curious about other players experience this past week.

[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles
4 minutes ago, MBT808 said:

Just playing the last week of the US battleship part 1 event, me and my clan mates noticed some major increase in toxicity among those playing this week. At times it felt close to WoT levels of toxicity in some of the matches that I played in the random battles. Not sure if it was just my clan and me, so I was curious about other players experience this past week.

Same same- just another day at the office. 

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
142 posts
11,330 battles
2 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

Same same- just another day at the office. 

Yeah, though I can't recall a time quite as bad as this last week. I found it rather unexpected, cause for me usually the toxicity in WoWS is quite low, like once in a while ever dozen games or so I get something toxic(maybe I'm just lucky on that).

[WOLFG]
Members
803 posts
15,834 battles

Dunno. Have my chat off so I don't have to see it if it does happen. Wouldn't surprise me though if there is more.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
13,302 posts
18,894 battles

Just ignore it. 

• Meh 1

[TRU]
Members
780 posts
24,492 battles
21 minutes ago, MBT808 said:

Yep.  Had a friendly Kitakaze player get killed right off the bat and he proceeded to berate allied players for not protecting him.  Slowly, we gained the upper hand and eventually won.  Throughout the entire match be provided expert opinions on how we would lose in a blowout.  I saved this replay just in case.

Two games later, we had a Fletcher that decided there was too much radar.  He sailed to the back of the map and complained the whole game about it and that he was protesting this serious injustice.   We lost that one by a hair.   

I reported both and other teammates did the same.  Hopefully something gets done about it.  

• Haha 1

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,172 battles
8 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

Hopefully something gets done about it.  

Only if you all reported them in support tickets with the evidence.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,719 posts
19,714 battles
15 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

Hopefully something gets done about it.  

I am curious about something being done by customer service. One player got killed and then complained. Another player refused to engage the enemy. I am not playing devil's advocate or anything, I'm just curious what you would like customer service to do about it?  

13 minutes ago, Mudd_H_F__XX said:

Only if you all reported them in support tickets with the evidence.

Evidence of what exactly? Complaining? 

Please opine. 

Oh and I wasn't either of those players by the way. 

Members
1,017 posts

My solution is that I stay away from PVP these days. I personally think WG should remove the chat for "all" in PVP game modes, similar to World of Warcraft, but that's just me.

Edited by Singularity_invader

[TRU]
Members
780 posts
24,492 battles
19 minutes ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

I am curious about something being done by customer service. One player got killed and then complained. Another player refused to engage the enemy. I am not playing devil's advocate or anything, I'm just curious what you would like customer service to do about it?  

Please opine. 

Oh and I wasn't either of those players by the way. 

In the one case (the big mouthed Kitakaze)  I submitted the replay to WG but wasn't sure if I should post it here or if that would be naming and shaming.   It was priceless as he called our entire flank useless throughout the match although myself and a couple of friendlies ensured the win.  

Members
1,017 posts
29 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

In the one case (the big mouthed Kitakaze)  I submitted the replay to WG but wasn't sure if I should post it here or if that would be naming and shaming.   It was priceless as he called our entire flank useless throughout the match although myself and a couple of friendlies ensured the win.  

I'm okay with others calling me "useless" and criticizing me as long as they can (but don't have to) explain why, but I'm not okay with insults.

Members
420 posts
7,736 battles

I'm not sure why but the toxicity level in chat has gotten really bad lately. While it has always been there to some degree this used to be one of the friendliest games I've ever played as regards player interactions in chat. This last year or so though it has gotten progressively worse. Right now I'm finding every other game has someone [edited] and moaning and insulting the rest of his team mates. Which now I type that I think it must just be every losing match has at least one bad sport.

I must admit I am reluctant to turn off chat because I do pay attention to to try to follow any suggested plans and to come to peoples aid when requested etc. 

I've also recently had a quick peep at the stats of the people doing the insulting. The vast majority of them have poor stats although you do get the odd good player with no class.

On the plus side there are still a good proportion of people in the games with a sense of humor. I'll quite often start a match with a joke like "Dammit green team again.." etc etc and more often than not there will be a few like minded replies on both sides as the match gets going. I'm also seeing a bit more of people congratulating good play by an enemy ship lately too. 

[SALVO]
Members
26,766 posts
32,227 battles
1 hour ago, MBT808 said:

Was this general toxicity or toxicity directed at those playing the new BBs?  I haven't seen any of this toxicity, so I'm curious about its nature.

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,172 battles
1 hour ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Well the replay will provide CS with EULA violations of language, bullying and such.

Also the Fletcher refusing to participate because of radar. Running and hiding to avoid contact with the opponents is a prime example of passive play also an EULA violation.

In any instance reporting to CS with evidence is the only way to get action. The in battle report system will only get temporary battle chat suspensions. Reports to CS with evidence will eventually get in battle chat banning.

[TRU]
Members
780 posts
24,492 battles
30 minutes ago, Singularity_invader said:

I'm okay with others calling me "useless" and criticizing me as long as they can (but don't have to) explain why, but I'm not okay with insults.

My bad ---  "useless" was the most mild term he used as he continued to argue with teammates during the rest of the game.  

[RLGN]
Members
16,873 posts
29,591 battles
28 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Was this general toxicity or toxicity directed at those playing the new BBs?  I haven't seen any of this toxicity, so I'm curious about its nature.

As far as I’m concerned WG generates at least some of the toxicity through their own actions.

Poor communication, HE spamming, lines with only minimal counters, another line where you’re basically a damage and xp piñata for the spammers, skill changes I’m not entirely certain were actually asked for, events one right after another with little time for rest km between...

[SALVO]
Members
26,766 posts
32,227 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

As far as I’m concerned WG generates at least some of the toxicity through their own actions.

Poor communication, HE spamming, lines with only minimal counters, another line where you’re basically a damage and xp piñata for the spammers, skill changes I’m not entirely certain were actually asked for, events one right after another with little time for rest km between...

While I agree with your first sentence, I think that you need to be more verbose with the rest.

1. Pure communication:  Their communication isn't always bad.  Sometimes it's good, other times not so much.

2. HE Spamming:  You need to clarify this one.

3. Lines with minimal counters:  You REALLY need to clarify this one.

4. A line where you're a damage/XP piñata: More clarification please.

5. Skill changes:  Maybe not asked for, but it quite welcome at least in my opinion.

6. Endless events with no gaps to rest:  100% agreed.

Members
4,559 posts
51 minutes ago, Terkoz said:

I'll quite often start a match with a joke like "Dammit green team again.." etc etc

Yeah, somedays I just want to be on that red team.

As for chat, don't play random much anymore and coop, don't see much of it there.  You're playing bots, and if you want to have a temper tantrum, go ahead and sail to the edge of the map, more for me.

[RLGN]
Members
16,873 posts
29,591 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

While I agree with your first sentence, I think that you need to be more verbose with the rest.

1. Pure communication:  Their communication isn't always bad.  Sometimes it's good, other times not so much.

2. HE Spamming:  You need to clarify this one.

3. Lines with minimal counters:  You REALLY need to clarify this one.

4. A line where you're a damage/XP piñata: More clarification please.

5. Skill changes:  Maybe not asked for, but it quite welcome at least in my opinion.

6. Endless events with no gaps to rest:  100% agreed.

2. Some of the more recent, mostly fantasy spammers (Smolensk, Colbert, that German thing, (Mainz? Munchen?)) for example, put the originals (Atlanta, Cleveland,) too shame.

3. Trying not to be specific; perhaps saying the ‘class’ many complain has no counters, (though I, personally, don’t feel that to be the case.)

4. New American BBs, including California.  Can’t catch anything, can’t hit anything.

From my own experiences this weekend; ten games, 5 California, 5 Kansas. ONE acceptable game. The rest I was either just a target, watching my shells splash all around and not hit their targets, or on the ragged edge of a EULA violation for non-participation.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,135 posts

The chat for the most part is disabled, so there is no toxicity to be a problem to begin with.

[SALVO]
Members
26,766 posts
32,227 battles
22 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

2. Some of the more recent, mostly fantasy spammers (Smolensk, Colbert, that German thing, (Mainz? Munchen?)) for example, put the originals (Atlanta, Cleveland,) too shame.

3. Trying not to be specific; perhaps saying the ‘class’ many complain has no counters, (though I, personally, don’t feel that to be the case.)

4. New American BBs, including California.  Can’t catch anything, can’t hit anything.

From my own experiences this weekend; ten games, 5 California, 5 Kansas. ONE acceptable game. The rest I was either just a target, watching my shells splash all around and not hit their targets, or on the ragged edge of a EULA violation for non-participation.

Thanks for the response.

2.  What do you expect from Light Cruisers?  Their guns just aren't powerful enough for their AP to be useful, so they have to spam HE.  (Side note: The Colbert isn't a fantasy ship.  It was a very real, built in steel ship.)  Also, what do you expect from the Atlanta?  It's a ship using nothing but DD grade main guns.  5" AP would be barely useful against BBs unless you had perfect broadsides.  The reality is that there are going to be cruisers that simply don't have powerful enough main guns to be useful unless they're spamming HE.  

Now, arguably, the Smolensk and Colbert could be argued to be somewhat over the line given that they're ships of the 1950's.  Oh, the Smolensk appears to be a fantasy ship, but from its appearance, it looks like a 1950's era ship, not 1940's or earlier.  But I don't have any problem with the others you list.  Heck, the Mainz is essentially the 6" armed Hipper that was originally planned, so it's not really a fantasy ship.  And the Munchen seems pretty fairly balanced to me.

4. Actually, the California seems to have pretty decent accuracy.  Offensively, its problem is that its 14" guns seem rather anemic when the ship isn't top tier.  Oh, sure, they can trash cruisers, but against tier 8 and 9 BBs, those 14" guns seem really weak, unless you can get to point blank range.   Also, when it's top tier, its slow speed is far less of an issue, since so many BBs of other nations are also fairly slow.  But when bottom tier, yuck.  And the thing is that even with its reasonably decent accuracy, even at long range, you're still not going to be landing lots of multi-shell volleys.  Even good accuracy isn't all that good at long range.  

So, yeah, being in a slow BB in the high tiers really bites, whether you're in a tier 7 Cali or a tier 9 Minnesota.  And being slow also means that even if you go dark, some cruiser players will keep blind firing at you and won't stop until they have a volley or 2 where they don't land a single hit.

Or course, I've said from day 1 when they first announced this new semi-line that the new USN BBs were going to be no fun to play.  They might be bearable if their max speed was around 26-27 kts (about the same speed as the slowest high tier BBs before the new USN BBs).  But a max speed of 23 kts is pretty damned painful in a tier 10 battle.

[BB-C4]
Beta Testers
142 posts
11,330 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

For me and my clan mates it was just general toxicity. I've actually yet to see anyone rage(in a random battle chat) about the new US coastal batteries. Lot's of people being generally pissed off with everyone else, people throwing games to spite the team once or twice, rage racism in chat a couple times, etc. Normal stuff mostly, its the quantity that caught me off guard last week.

Last week wasn't a single day there wasn't something happening. What makes it odd is that the event was pretty lax the three weeks before, basically minimal levels of toxicity. Where as the last week to complete the event(which probably is part of it, time crunch wise for some), everything completely flipped in terms of player attitudes(for me and my clan). Like it just seemed above the normal low levels of toxicity that it was noticeable.

At least you had a good week, I wish me and my clan could've had one.