Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
gbgentry

Question for Midway players

8 comments in this topic

[F4E-2]
Alpha Tester
1,058 posts

I move up from my Sexy Lexi to Midway and ...immediately have a string of 5-7m matches over the weekend.  I’ve rebounded with some decent (100k+) games but my average is shot.  Time to start being a super scout!  :cap_look:

Midway players:  What do you consider a “good” game?  Any win?  A certain (spotting) damage amount?  A kill number goal?   Just curious...

Edited by gbgentry

[DJL]
Members
235 posts
6,982 battles

I start out as a scout and spot for the team to see where ships are heading such as 4 to a 6 to d and 2 to b. Pick the easiest target like the 2 to b or a yolo and hound them or a dd pushing the caps solo. It's all about target selection. Damage comes about halfway into the match or at the start for me. 

That yolo dd at the start can be an easy 8 to 10k a little past half way point alot of AA on ships is knocked out and people start making mistakes like pushing ahead of the pack. Also as a side note cycle your aircraft like torpedo bombers 1 run dive bombers next and rockets gives you a chance to build up stock.

Best of luck to you.

[F4E-2]
Alpha Tester
1,058 posts

Thanks for the advice.  Just curious what most players view as a “good” game, assuming that they’re given at least 15m.  At the end of the match, what makes you feel “good” about how you did?  A certain stat or target?  Just getting the win?  Again just curious...

Members
3,411 posts
40,612 battles

Well, this is a good question. Because it is often seldom asked. Confusing?

It should be.

I will give an anecdote of a one game foray in my Hakuryu last week.

One night, on a whim, and maybe someone used Dark magic to summon " a really emo, dark CV player with a propensity to scare the crap out of cruisers" into a Randoms match.

I was skeptical at first, so I just did basic position spotting of a key island where AA from cruisers can't hit the spotter fighters without moving into an exposed position.

It worked. Two..ahem.. Russian cruisers tried to camp in Fault Line map enclosed cap. In this case, C cap. I had a cruiser and BB pushing there, maybe a DD. These cruisers were backed by two BBs. They were about to get a Mino over there but I attacked the Mino in B to disuade him. It worked.

I used a surprise pop up torp drop on him. He realized, "bad idea, run". I worked the two Russian cruisers and dropped AP on one of them. It hurt him, but the perpetual spotting hurt more. Because his AA was evaporating. The BB on my team must be a sicko because he fired HE at him. All the AA eventually was gone. The other cruiser attempted to run and got hit with a torp spread before the BB got him. Meanwhile that Mino was spotted and blasted away by another BB.

Did I forget to mention that I had two Montanas on B and C?

Yes, both Montanas crushed red in B and C had but one cruiser running north of C. I stuck him and sunk with AP bombs. Meanwhile, my team heading A, based on my middle back spotting, chased red CV to back line. There it sank along with the ships trying to not die from the A push my team used.

B was secured first. A was held a while by red, but succumbed to BB gun fire and my bombs.

We didn't need the points, but holding off the attempted red push at C was enough to allow A group to break through.

I had modest 90k ish damage, 1 sunk, lots of spots, and mixed up hits to keep a consistent flight available.

I lost few planes because I used the islands to pop up and hit. I then used islands to cover my escape, circle back and hit again. 

It was a team effort and I can't say I carried, but I did my part in striking the cruisers and keeping them pinned down. The Montanas simple lobbed shells over at long range and the red cruisers couldn't fire back because hiding prevented them from seeing. It was one way spotting. 

The A push was a tight formation that once they knew where red CV was, they immediately moves to that red CV. There were red BBs and cruisers in that side, but again, early spotting, caught them wide. (I torped them to make them go sideways.)

This battle would be somewhat fast by Randoms standards, but quite enjoyable for my team. Because they all got really good looks.

It is that part that makes it rewarding. To get red caught naked and confused. And of course, to give two cruiser drivers a solid reason to never enter C cap on Fault Line map.

Special observation: that Mino was bracketed by both Montanas, so once he was spotted by me, he couldn't turn either way. The first one that sent their AP into him deleted him fast.

I call that the, "deer caught in headlights",  moment for cruisers.

There are lots of ways, but spotting often at match start will give great results.

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Supertester
39 posts
4,167 battles
10 hours ago, gbgentry said:

Midway players:  What do you consider a “good” game?  Any win?  A certain (spotting) damage amount?  A kill number goal?   Just curious...

I recently started to ignore stats in general in my carrier games and only focused on winning. Damage and numbers will follow with your wins if you get enough experience and just play the game. But if I were to really think about what makes a "good" game for me, I'd have to say at least getting 130k damage in a tier 10 carrier, winning, and that alone is enough to satisfy me. 

• Cool 2

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,668 posts
7,060 battles

Midway is a terrible mystery to me..  I literally feel like I am actively hurting my teams chances in it and should instantly apologize at the start of every match in it and report myself?  Trying to finish up the UU  grind (final stage)  in it.  (why I'm bothering with it,  don't know.. because when I get done I may never play it in randoms again).   I am really struggling with T10 CVs while doing well in most T8 CVs. funny, I actually do OK in them in Ranked play?     Its a very different game at T10, one that I have figured out.  I need to just play through it I guess...  but T10 CV play is an economic killer if you don't perform..    

[_ARP_]
Members
7 posts
5,246 battles

Depends on what are you trying to accomplish.
Are you trying to win? If so, then winning is achievement, independent of how much damage you do. That 1-2k to a hard-to-find dd might be worth more than 20k on a bb.
Are you trying to get lots of damage? Then you try to keep the game close but slowly losing, so you can keep farming that damage as enemy pushes in.

• Cool 1

[8GW88]
Members
14 posts
4,463 battles
On 11/2/2020 at 1:40 PM, iRA6E said:

Midway is a terrible mystery to me..  I literally feel like I am actively hurting my teams chances in it and should instantly apologize at the start of every match in it and report myself?  Trying to finish up the UU  grind (final stage)  in it.  (why I'm bothering with it,  don't know.. because when I get done I may never play it in randoms again).   I am really struggling with T10 CVs while doing well in most T8 CVs. funny, I actually do OK in them in Ranked play?     Its a very different game at T10, one that I have figured out.  I need to just play through it I guess...  but T10 CV play is an economic killer if you don't perform..    

T10 ships are more of a hazard towards CV, but it takes some practices to get the best of each ship: Haku has AP bombs and good torps (but bad rockets), Audacious has carpet bombing and rocket spam (but slow as hell torps), MvR has AP rockets and good AP bomb damage (but low damage torps), Midway has a middle ground between them (OK rockets, good torpedo coverage, good HE damage).

Also, Midway UU is a niche upgrade, you might like it or not (changes slot 6, from all airplane buffs to bomber buffs).

Sign in to follow this