You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Z-23: Bottom tier, and carriers and radar, oh my! What's a DD to do?

6 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
25,543 posts
19,684 battles

I went out looking for the banes of a DD's existence and I found them. Here's what happened:

• Boring 2

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,022 posts

On extreme radar coverage, I just equipt my Shimakaze and shoot 20Km torps against the enemy CV from particular spots. I shoot -8 seconds elapsed from previous shoot within limitations of the reload clock. The premise is that you get into the habit of setting your stop watch to my reloads. Well, you might get a rude wake up call early.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,543 posts
19,684 battles
17 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

On extreme radar coverage, I just equipt my Shimakaze and shoot 20Km torps against the enemy CV from particular spots.

LOL, last battle in the Shima, I loaded in and realized "Oh :etc_swear:, I have the 12km torps fitted!" (I had just researched and bought them). Going back to the stock torpedoes ASAP. You have to be very careful with them vis a vis not going pink, but they open up windows of opportunity that the others do not.

19 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

The premise is that you get into the habit of setting your stop watch to my reloads. Well, you might get a rude wake up call early.

I don't think a lot of players are that careful or attentive - a realization of the old saying that fortune favours the brave or the stupid. :Smile-_tongue:

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,022 posts
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

LOL, last battle in the Shima, I loaded in and realized "Oh :etc_swear:, I have the 12km torps fitted!" (I had just researched and bought them). Going back to the stock torpedoes ASAP. You have to be very careful with them vis a vis not going pink, but they open up windows of opportunity that the others do not.

I don't think a lot of players are that careful or attentive - a realization of the old saying that fortune favours the brave or the stupid. :Smile-_tongue:

Fortune Favors the Bold.

When the sniveling battle line cry out in agony as I put rudder over at the moment the enemy radar is kaput and is charging... I have that much time to kill said enemy.

In addition to that fortune if you knew Napoleon is short horseshoes today you might want to steal a march on him for victory.

Yes there are players who are very careful. Ive been beaten too much not to do the same thing where possible. Those are the most dangerous players in game. never mind what ship you have on them.

Edited by xHeavy

Members
52 posts
9,177 battles

Generally staying closer to your CAs/CLs in the early game for overlapping AA helps. As for the radar. once you know where the cruisers are located keep an island between you and them. The best way to run out a radar is acceleration dodging. So try to use your throttle a bit more and that will reduce that amount of damage you take.

A slightly different perspective on this is that if the enemies are shooting at you they are not shooting at your team mates. If you get really good at dodging, you can really frustrate the enemies, and reduce the amount of damage your team takes throughout the battle.

Saying that, I remember playing the Z23 and it can be a difficult ship to control, but not impossible.

Members
383 posts
11,896 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I went out looking for the banes of a DD's existence and I found them. Here's what happened:

Nice to see a DD post where the OP DIDN'T get 100K+ damage, just played careful, did their job and helped the team win.

I have the Z23 and it was an adjustment playing against so many radars. I play more careful now, and bug out of the cap if radar cruiser in the area.

Good post Ensign C.