You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ferrytap

Is Petropavlovsk worth it?

18 comments in this topic

[FFG31]
Members
105 posts
4,362 battles

I am going to spend about 600k free xp to research the entire line of the USSR cruiser line to get the Petropavlovsk. Is it worth it?

• Funny 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,171 posts
16,404 battles

why dont you get the Prem Ship the Nelson and play it first?

• Meh 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,103 posts
15,275 battles
10 minutes ago, Ferrytap said:

I am going to spend about 600k free xp to research the entire line of the USSR cruiser line to get the Petropavlovsk. Is it worth it?

If you're doing this for Clan Battles... maybe, since it is arguably the strongest cruiser in the meta right now.

If you're doing it for randoms? Not so much considering how many strong T10 cruisers there are.

• Cool 3

[VORTX]
Members
421 posts
6,304 battles
3 hours ago, Ferrytap said:

Grind the line. It’s a great grind. Not a weak boat in it. 

• Cool 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
4 hours ago, Ferrytap said:

Only if you specifically wantt it for clan battles or ranked and don't have a stalingrad.

4 hours ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

why dont you get the Prem Ship the Nelson and play it first?

Whats the point of this post?
Nelson is neither russian nor a cruiser, completely irrelevant to a post about a T10 cruiser.
They don't even play similiarly. 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,394 posts
4,959 battles

I am also in a position if I choose to instantly unlock 3 or 4 ship trees from 1 to X in a few minutes if I want to. Then cherry pick the good ships out.

There is nothing bad wrong with the USSR line. Ive grown to like them myself even though I learn what it takes to sink them and get to it. For example if I am in a X DD and you are in formation with Kremlin, you might to abandon same. Because there is usually 10 torps or 15 coming already and they don't know it yet. Certain ships I like to dispose of quickly without having to be destroyed over 5 minutes in something that cannot be survived. Peter the Great is one BB of my favorites I think T5 and almost as bad as the Kansas speed wise. However you can pretty much tanky bounce anything in game at least once. Hopefully like all good gunnery officers they apply the firepower to something squishy.

If that does not get people to buy more Russian Iron I don't know what will. Thats not my goal today. There are certain ships for which I am saving carefully Slava is one and there are others. Im pretty sure that when it gets to be my time to "Play" and enjoy these ships changes would have been made.

Edited by xHeavy

[CDOH]
Members
575 posts
7,503 battles

yeah grind the line. Save the FXP for premium ship. Or use the FXP to get RB points.

Edited by Rothgar_57

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,241 posts
8,384 battles

The Petro is an incredibly strong cruiser in competitive but it can be a little more hit and miss in randoms, although it's still good.  It's certainly worth picking up, but unless you need it for clan battles I don't think it's worth blowing that much free XP on.  

Edited by yashma

[AFK]
Members
48 posts
8,353 battles

Agree with lloyd1701 above, for the competitive meta the petro is very strong due to it being very tanky when facing 1 BB, and 2 of them with overlapping AA can down a significant number of planes throughout a battle.

In Randoms the long range dispersion really comes into effect, as at range it can feel like using the dispersion of a battleship.

Overall The ship is a bit too strong in the current competitive meta, and it is a bit weak in the random battle meta.

You can make a determination on how much you want it based on how much you will be playing competitive modes or if you want to dig in a flank in random battles and die early in the battle 50% of the time, or have a game were the enemy might give you broadside.

[ANK-A]
Members
1,341 posts
11,024 battles
42 minutes ago, yashma said:

The Petro is an incredibly strong cruiser in competitive but it can be a little more hit and miss in randoms, although it's still good.  It's certainly worth picking up, but unless you need it for clan battles I don't think it's worth blowing that much free XP on.  

I concur.

Compared to some boats like Nevsky where I usually get in the top 3, Petro is usually either top 2 or bottom somewhere for me.  Unless you need it for your team, it's not a bad grind at all (and if it is, then your cruiser play needs work).  I still play Budy and Snores regularly. 

[G-4W]
Members
152 posts
6,202 battles

Can’t speak to Petro as I’m only up to Tallinn, but I wouldn’t Free XP it, I’ve enjoyed the line so far. Budyonny is my favorite T6 tech tree CA by far. Shchors is nice (get IFHE), and liking Tallinn. That’s just me though. 

Edited by gebert906

[DJL]
Members
235 posts
6,982 battles

Save that free xp for something you may want later. The petro is a good ship the best tank head on cruiser in the game "BUT" has crap HE damage good AP if anything turns out you can make them pay big time. But if he spam ships tank you head on they will burn you down first. She begs to be played aggressive.

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles

It works very well in the CB meta due to it's improved AP pen angles shot time fuse.  The ice breaker bow means it's a tanky cruiserIt's a direct counter to the Smolensk. It's hit and miss in random due to the need to use AP to get decent damage. 

If you're going to use it for competitive, then using FXP  might be owrth it. Grind it otherwise.

[NUWES]
Members
3,243 posts
11,552 battles
10 hours ago, Ferrytap said:

Is it a good ship? Yes, depending on what you want to do with it.  It is one of the tankiest CAs in the game. That's why it appears in clan battles so often. It can sit bow-in and tank BBs very well. Is isn't nearly as great in randoms. It's still fine but the larger number of people in randoms and the fact that they aren't coordinating means that you will get people on your sides and it disintegrates like most CAs in those circumstances. PLus its DPS isn't all that great. It's long-range radar is great in Clan Battles but only so-so in randoms because it fires too slowly to make great use of it and you can't count on your teammates to make good use of it in the short window either.

It is also rather vulnerable to carriers. Its stock AA is pretty good but don't let that fool you. As a heavy CV player I can tell you there are only two things that matter against CVs - is your AA boosted above stock, and are you agile enough to turn and dodge or mitigate attacks. Petros almost always play to their greatest strength - survivability, so they almost never spend skills or upgrades to boost AA. Since its tankiness relies on being bow-in, it tends to either sit stationary or move in or out slowly, but always in a straight line. It is also a big ship, nearly as large as some BBs, and it doesn't accelerate or turn all that well. In sum it is one of the easiest cruisers to hit for CVs and it is large enough that most of the bombs or torps will hit reliably. Petro is one of my favorite cruisers to target from the air. You just look for one that is bow-tanking and hammer it. Once he gets locked into a bow-tanking strategy he can't dodge your attacks and should eat all the bombs or torps. 

Is it worth 600,000fxp imho? Absolutely not. If you have to get it for a clan battle right now, maybe, but barring that, no. I am no fan of the low tier Russian cruisers, but I would just level them as much as you can stand. (In fact I just finished doing that 2 months ago.) 

[PIZZA]
Members
1,091 posts
13,444 battles

Remember when Zao was that power ship. These ships tend to powercreep in time. Read this message 2022 and laugh. 

[REVY]
Members
8,097 posts
6,118 battles
10 hours ago, Ferrytap said:

I think you asked before whether to get the Anchorage of the Alaska.  Save your fxp for the Alaska. 

[TXC]
Members
72 posts
4,299 battles

Yes she is very good. Its basically a mini bb. You can tank as well as a bb, and u beat every bb with an exposed citadel 1v1 every time. Her radar is ok, not great. All and all she is very good, now dont free waste free xp on her.

[KIA-C]
Members
3,552 posts
15,629 battles

Petro is strong in comp because you can rely on your clan mate to create crossfire and use that strong AP.

In random I won't say she sucks, but she's not a great ship. Your HE DPM is garbage and you don't overmatch anything meaning all the people has to do to counter you is point his nose at you and laugh.

Personnally I wouldn't spend 600k free XP for Petro. There are much more valuable things to get with a bit more than 600k free xp