You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
10thDF

Does WG give heads up before ship becomes available?

14 comments in this topic

[FLWR]
Members
108 posts
3,523 battles

I'm wondering if WG gives a bit of a heads up on how a ship is acquired whether it's doubloons, coal, cash, or Research Points ish just before they release it or they just release it.  May someone enlighten me please?

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,547 posts
1 minute ago, 10thDF said:

I'm wondering if WG gives a bit of a heads up on how a ship is acquired whether it's doubloons, coal, cash, or Research Points ish just before they release it or they just release it.  May someone enlighten me please?

Not usually no.

Members
561 posts
9,202 battles
Just now, 10thDF said:

Yes. When the ship is intially announced for testing no, but usually (at least in the past) they’ll let you know what currency you can get it with about 30 days before it hits the live server. It’s usually pretty easy to guess where they’re gonna go though.. if they seem over the top and possibly OP- steel. If they seem like they may be a little over the top but not to OP in certain situations- coal every day run of the mill premium - doubloons with the oddball being RB now. It’s kinda hard to tell what will go in there because they have a little bit of everything in the RB

[NYAAR]
Members
2,998 posts
15,966 battles
4 minutes ago, 10thDF said:

LittleWhiteMouse has been surprised several times in regards to a ship release and she does reviews on them.

• Cool 1

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

I wouldn't expect much notice to be honest.   You have to consider that WG doesn't want you hording resources, they want you spending resources.  If they announce well in advance that X ship is going to be sold for Coal for example, you might decide to hold off on pulling the trigger on that Thunderer now and wait on X ship to be available.  They would rather you spend all your coal now and then have to grind another 6-12 months to get the new ship but things don't always work that way.

For example, I personally really wish they had a roadmap because I have the coal to buy a ship but while there are some really good ships available, like the Thunderer, I really wish there was a more unique ship available, like the Smolensk, that was completely different than anything I could easily buy for $$$ or dubs or grind in the tech trees. If I knew for sure nothing interesting was going to hit in the next 90 days, I would just go ahead and pull the trigger on the Thunderer but because I DON'T KNOW the release schedule, I am hording my coal to see what else might come out.   I will say thought that I am probably more of an exception to the rule than the rule.  Most people tend to go for instant gratification and as soon as they got the resources to buy something,  they will buy something and that is what WG is counting on.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,363 battles

A couple of days usually. We'll know a ship in coming (dev blog, announcements), but not when exactly or currency. And unless it's an event ship the firm announcement is often only a few days.

[FLWR]
Members
108 posts
3,523 battles

Thank you everyone for the insight.   I wasn't sure so thought I'd ask.    Be safe.  Have fun.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,370 posts
14,897 battles

In the past, they’ve sometimes given advance warning via dev blogs for resource and event ships (either in the dev blog for the event or separately), and resource ship resources tend to be datamined from the pts client for the patch they go live in. At minimum, we’ll get an official announcement for resource ships in the patch notes a few days before the patch, and premium shop ships either in the patch notes or a separate announcement when they go up for sale. 

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
15 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

In the past, they’ve sometimes given advance warning via dev blogs for resource and event ships (either in the dev blog for the event or separately), and resource ship resources tend to be datamined from the pts client for the patch they go live in. At minimum, we’ll get an official announcement for resource ships in the patch notes a few days before the patch, and premium shop ships either in the patch notes or a separate announcement when they go up for sale. 

This is true.  For example, we know Hizen will be a Dockyard Event ship from one of the dev blogs.  However, I think that is the only one of the potentially upcoming premiums we know for sure what the resource is going to be.

Some you can kind of guess.  For example, anything Tier 9 for a nation that doesn't already have a FXP Tier 9 ship available is probably a good candidate to be a FXP ship.  Tier 10s have a really good chance of only being available for Steel or RP. 

[A-I-M]
Members
4,105 posts
15,366 battles
13 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Tier 10s have a really good chance of only being available for Steel or RP. 

Not necessarily:

Salem: Coal

Smolensk: Coal

Thunderer: Coal

Yoshino: Coal

[REVY]
Members
8,488 posts
6,118 battles
3 hours ago, 10thDF said:

Not the way LWM get's ambushed with new ships.