Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mixmkz

WG should add an epilepsy warning

12 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
602 posts
7,506 battles

Just a heads up, the visual bugs on island of ice during clan battles is giving someone I know with epilepsy episodes each time it comes up, and at this rate it will likely end up in a lawsuit

• When countdown timer hits 0, the entire map flashes and goes from sunny to overcast
  • When the cyclone hits, the whole screen flashes black

This is a pretty well documented and reported bug, even during PTS

Edited by mixmkz
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,012 posts
3 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

Just a heads up, the visual bugs on island of ice during clan battles is giving someone I know with epilepsy episodes each time it comes up, and it will probably end up in a lawsuit soon.

• When countdown timer hits 0, the entire map flashes and goes from sunny to overcast

This is a pretty documented and reported bug

So this person knows that the game will cause them to have an epileptic seizure but they keep playing it anyway?

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 2

[OO7]
Members
602 posts
7,506 battles

No, just this one map with a bug that was introduced during this patch

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
8,012 posts
5 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

No, just this one map with a bug that was introduced during this patch

Right, but you said "every time". I am fairly sure that I would stop playing the game, after seizure number 1.

By the way, the warning and legal liability coverage is in the TOS that we agree to when we create an account.

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/docs/terms-service/

17.Epilepsy Warning

Certain people are susceptible to epileptic seizures or loss of consciousness when exposed to certain flashing lights or light patterns in everyday life.  Such people may have a seizure while watching certain monitor images or playing certain video games.  This may happen even if the person has no medical history of epilepsy or has never had any epileptic seizures.  If you or anyone in your family has ever had symptoms related to epilepsy (seizures or loss of consciousness) when exposed to flashing lights, consult your doctor prior to playing.  We advise that parents should monitor the use of video games by their children.  If you or your child experience any of the following symptoms: dizziness, blurred vision, eye or muscle twitches, loss of consciousness, disorientation, any involuntary movement or convulsion, while playing a video game, IMMEDIATELY discontinue use of the video game and consult your doctor.  Please also note that when using a video game you should take certain standard health and safety precautions, including avoiding playing the game when tired and not had much sleep, taking 10 to 15 minute breaks every hour, sittinga reasonable distance from the screen, and playing the game in a well-lit environment.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[OO7]
Members
602 posts
7,506 battles

Good for you, I will let you know when its fixed so you can play without seizures 

Members
3,420 posts
40,821 battles
5 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

So this person knows that the game will cause them to have an epileptic seizure but they keep playing it anyway?

A medical consult would advise against playing the game if this is the case.

But it is good that WG be made aware of it and address it.

I would be concerned if the player had an episode on comms and no one is with them to get medical help. 

Most seizures, if left alone, can be fatal. I have a relative that suffered one many years ago and her son returned from elementary school, only to run back to school for help. This was before 911 was implemented and the kid didn't know who to call.

[OO7]
Members
602 posts
7,506 battles
1 minute ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

A medical consult would advise against playing the game if this is the case.

But it is good that WG be made aware of it and address it.

I would be concerned if the player had an episode on comms and no one is with them to get medical help. 

Most seizures, if left alone, can be fatal. I have a relative that suffered one many years ago and her son returned from elementary school, only to run back to school for help. This was before 911 was implemented and the kid didn't know who to call.

Yes I had them on comms when it happened.  This was for a clan I was being an mercenary for so I dont know him personally.  It didn't sound enjoyable at all.

[A-D-F]
8,012 posts
24 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

Good for you, I will let you know when its fixed so you can play without seizures 

I don't have the medical problem but if I did and a bug caused it to fire off, I would watch the patch notes for the bug to have been fixed.  Having a seizure looks like NO fun and not worth it to keep playing a video game, I wouldn't risk it until the dev made the needed changes.

In any case, the link to the TOS I edited into my post has the necessary verbiage to cover WG from liability.  It's pretty standard stuff that's in most every game's TOS coverage.

I hope they fix the bug for your friend soon.

Members
3,420 posts
40,821 battles
1 minute ago, mixmkz said:

Yes I had them on comms when it happened.  This was for a clan I was being an mercenary for so I dont know him personally.  It didn't sound enjoyable at all.

They should see a Dr right away. There will be collateral issues that may manifest. My relative was never quite the same. The sooner they get medical attention, the sooner it is documented.

Any time that passes only leaves anything tangible to claim not found.

And it is just like any injury. You have to report it.

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,024 posts
14,432 battles
3 hours ago, mixmkz said:

Just a heads up, the visual bugs on island of ice during clan battles is giving someone I know with epilepsy episodes each time it comes up, and at this rate it will likely end up in a lawsuit

This is a pretty well documented and reported bug, even during PTS

I mean, if players are having this problem, we probably need tickets and also replays attached so that we can fix this.

Also, as stated above, please review: https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/docs/terms-service/

Section 17.

-Hapa

• Cool 2