Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Manefesto

Which cruiser line

14 comments in this topic

[H2OG]
Beta Testers
2 posts
1,526 battles

Hey Guys,

I keep bouncing between lines when I take a break from the game and have never finished a line.  I currently am at tier 9 on the French cruiser and USSR heavy cruiser line.  I am on the Hipper in the German tree, and on the Cleveland in USA CL, and New Orleans on USA CA.  Then i have both UK cruiser lines at tier 6.  I am looking for advice on what line is better to finish first.  I will be finishing all of them but I just keep switching to a different line every other week it feels like.  

[FRR]
Members
1,044 posts
17,989 battles

German. I'd suggest getting the Hindenburg first, as it is simply a well-balanced heavy cruiser. There's so much to like about the Hindenburg.

I have Petropavlovsk, and she's got some amazing AP, although her HE shells are not that nice compared to the German heavy cruiser. 

For the Royal Navy line, I am currently at the Albemarle—this ship is unbelievable. She is so hard to love, more squishy than a flaccid organ, and has firing range shorter than any squirt.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[FOOLZ]
Members
1 post
12,995 battles

I finished the IJN cruiser line and the Zao was my 1st Tier X ship.   Very disappointed in the Zao.  Horrible torpedo launch angles that will quickly get you killed at Tier X.   If the Atago can have a decent torp launch angle which does not compel the poor cruiser to completely expose it's broadside, why not the Zao?  WOWs may not like the Japanese line I guesss.  Mind you, the Zao has the same HP pool as the Tier 7 Myoko.   Unlike other Cruiser lines, the HP pool for IJN cruisers do not increase with tier....which IMHO is wrong. 

The RIGA and Roon are the two toughest tech tree Tier 9 Cruisers I have played.  Off course the Azuma, Agir and Alaska will eat them for breakfast. 

I find the French Ships to the most athletic. 

THe bottom line with the Zao in a Tier X match....if you get spotted .....you die quickly.  YOu have to stay invisible,  which is very hard when there is a CV.   So you don't lead in scouting with a Zao.  An enemy DD will see you first and then any enemy Tier X BB or CA will quickly destroy the Zao's wet paper napkin armor....it clearly is not German or Russian.   You will me amazed at how quickly you would get eliminated.  However, the guns are a massive improvement over the Ibuki's.   The torps are devastating.   But I do not understand why the Zao torps are only good for 12 KM when the Zao is the top of the line IJN cruiser.   IJN destroyers can fling 20km torps....then why can't a cruiser?

Bottom line when playing the Zao....you have to be passive.  Your 1st priority is not to be spotted, even if that means you do little to contribute to the cause.  Be patient with the Zao.   Otherwise, WOWS needs to get the Zao serious BUFF.  IMHO, 40K HP for a cruiser at Tier X is woefully insufficient. 

Edited by CaptChoke

[FRR]
Members
1,044 posts
17,989 battles
4 minutes ago, CaptChoke said:

I finished the IJN cruiser line and the Zao was my 1st Tier X ship.   Very disappointed in the Zao.  Horrible torpedo launch angles that will quickly get you killed at Tier X.   Mind you, the Zao has the same HP pool as the Tier 7 Myoko.   Unlike other Cruiser lines, the HP pool for IJN cruisers do not increase with tier....which IMHO is wrong. 

The RIGA and Roon are the two toughest tech tree Tier 9 Cruisers I have played.  Off course the Azuma, Agir and Alaska will eat them for breakfast. 

Wargaming recently said Zao has good armor

:cap_haloween:

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,819 posts
38,593 battles

Having all of them to T10 and playing cruisers often, I like Germans the most.

Other lines have a few excellent ships I like too, (e.g. Fiji, Zao, Chapayev, Myoko, Des Moines) but all-in-all KM has good ships all around ending with the best: Hindenburg

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,265 posts
22,545 battles

Best all-round T10 cruiser is probably still Hindenburg.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,901 battles
42 minutes ago, Lert said:

Best all-round T10 cruiser is probably still Hindenburg.

Somehow, Hindenburg (despite some tweaks along the way) has stood the test of time.  Des Moines probably still holds true for the most part as well.

Several of the other T10 cruisers seemed to have been nerfed hard as more and more flocked to them, diminishing their appeal (Henri IV, Venezia, as examples).

[WOLFC]
Members
3,385 posts
12,111 battles
On 10/26/2020 at 7:56 AM, Ace_04 said:

Somehow, Hindenburg (despite some tweaks along the way) has stood the test of time.  Des Moines probably still holds true for the most part as well.

Hindenburg’s combination of survivability and versatility makes her very strong in Randoms (as well as Ranked). She’s well suited to the chaos you expect to see in those modes.

Des Moines’ continued popularity is largely due to the fact that throwing out 6-9 203mm shells every 5 seconds solves a great many problems. 10km radar and super-heavy AP just make her more attractive.:cap_rambo:

Edited by Nevermore135

[WOLF4]
Members
896 posts
12,339 battles

I think you're absolutely doing it right.  When I first started this game, I'd pick a line and chase it to TX - often, by the time I got there, I'd find I was somewhat bored with the repetitive game play style of that line.

Now, I grind two or more lines at the same time - alternating between ships and lines, keeping things from getting stale.

YMMV, but that's what works best for me.  It's the longer game, for sure - but I find the grinds less grindy that way!

• Cool 1

[ALL41]
[ALL41]
Members
54 posts
11,927 battles

You have experience with a number of different cruiser lines.  Bottom line: the game is supposed to be fun to play...so choose the line that is the most enjoyable/comfortable for you and best fits your playstyle.

Keep that in mind and there is no wrong choice.  :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
448 posts
11,618 battles

Indeed, play what you enjoy.

Hindenburg is a tier 10 Hipper. It's more forgiving than some ships. I play it in Clan Battles.

[ICO]
Members
98 posts
10,721 battles

You should consider the Alaska at tier 9, not a tech tree ship though has amazing AP auto bounce angles allowing you to citadel other angled cruisers.

I had an encounter with a Buffalo who was sharply angled and I did a 12k salvo which made him realize he's no match for the Alaska forcing him to retreat behind the island. 

Alaska has hydro and 10k radar, very heavy AP taking to auto bounce angles to the next level. It will also bounce BB AP on the main deck allowing the Alaska to open water shoot, something the Des Moines can struggle with.

The Alaska is a cruiser killer and can also citadel BB,s at the appropriate ranges.

Edited by Systemlord_1

Sign in to follow this