Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Khabarovsk - Fun Again?

31 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,656
[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Ok, well, take that with a grain of salt....it still needs some love.  But as I've been working on grinding out the last of the UU for Khab, I've actually been enjoying it quite a bit.

Sure, CVs and battleship AP eat it alive, but when played well, can still be an annoying thorn in the enemy's side.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,596
[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Ok, well, take that with a grain of salt....it still needs some love.  But as I've been working on grinding out the last of the UU for Khab, I've actually been enjoying it quite a bit.

Sure, CVs and battleship AP eat it alive, but when played well, can still be an annoying thorn in the enemy's side.

Khaba is much more enjoyable to play with the new UU. It is semi-competitive again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[ROCKR]
Members
354 posts
14,444 battles

I tried that one guy's advice as far as emphasizing the mid ship armor, isolating dd gunfights, avoiding German cruisers etc, and it worked. One game trying it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,152
[BONKS]
Members
957 posts
3,665 battles

Khaba has always been fun. Last 21 days have been pleasant.


8B2D4A4A-1E10-49DF-880F-EE45587063EC.thumb.jpeg.7a806bb4d38489fc90712bd5bbe10971.jpeg

 

Though when I look on Maplesyrup less than 100 players, played enough Khaba games to be recorded. Which is depressingly low.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,724
[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,806 posts
16,981 battles

I used to always hate seeing the Khab on the other side if I was in a DD. (All I had was the Gearing) 

Then Khab just kind of faded away. I have been seeing them every once in awhile as of late.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
343
Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

Hard to find a reason to play mine...guess I could grind the UU...but grinding a meh-bote just to make it slightly less meh seems...a waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,766
[SALVO]
Members
25,495 posts
27,483 battles

The Khab can be fun to play.  But at the same time, because of their basic style of play and massive concealment range, it's difficult to use them like a traditional DD when it comes to contesting caps.   They really are a lot like playing light cruisers, just CLs with a lot of speed.  And because of this, at least to me, I find that Khabs make trying to influence the outcome of a battle more difficult.  I find it easier when in a DD to impact the outcome of a battle in a more traditional DD, spotting, contesting caps, engaging enemy DDs, torping and gunboating when the opportunity presents itself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,452
[REVY]
Members
8,097 posts
6,118 battles
6 hours ago, neptunes_wrath said:

I REALLY MISS the Khab,,,,, and the Kiev too.....
Was sad to see them get nerf cannon go

I don't.  I remember getting stuck in a dumb gun duel with one in my Yamato.  We *slowly* reduced our HPs down at about the same rate which left me with the impression that Russia thinks the Khabs could outfight a Yamato with guns.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,656
[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
9 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Then Khab just kind of faded away. I have been seeing them every once in awhile as of late.

If I recall correctly, Khab's original concealment was almost on par with other same tier DDs, which left them heavily outgunned to it.

But once Kleber came along, it really just took everything Khabarovsk did and did it better.  Not a ton of reason to play the latter if you have the former.

12 hours ago, Vaffu said:

Khaba is much more enjoyable to play with the new UU. It is semi-competitive again.

I look forward to finding out.  Just need to complete the fifth stage of the UU mission.

6 hours ago, Crucis said:

The Khab can be fun to play.  But at the same time, because of their basic style of play and massive concealment range, it's difficult to use them like a traditional DD when it comes to contesting caps.   They really are a lot like playing light cruisers, just CLs with a lot of speed.  And because of this, at least to me, I find that Khabs make trying to influence the outcome of a battle more difficult.  I find it easier when in a DD to impact the outcome of a battle in a more traditional DD, spotting, contesting caps, engaging enemy DDs, torping and gunboating when the opportunity presents itself.

I prefer to play it backing up other friendly DDs entering caps to help bully around any red DDs that show up to contest.

I find those rare matches where I'm one of only two DDs (or heaven forbid, the only DD) on a Domination map to be a tough challenge.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[NG-NL]
Members
343 posts
9,858 battles

The fun never stopped!
The Unitarian mod (that's how I always read UU) certainly changes the play style. A buddy asked me whether I miss the agile speed-dodging style of regular Khabarovsk. I replied that's why I kept Tashkent.

I've played Khabarovsk a lot less since I got Daring and Småland, though. Daring because you can get close enough to see the salty rage on the other player's face. Småland because it's such a dirty, dirty DD-killing rainbow burner of love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
395
[BUOY]
Members
1,103 posts
15,259 battles

Final game to finish the Khab's UU grind... Pretty much solo'ed the Gearing and Halland since their BB's left them to die and then got 2x solo caps with a 0 stealth build. Khab's a fun boat if you play her like a citadel'less flanking cruiser.

Spoiler

shot-20_10.26_15_21.32-0117.thumb.jpg.27f0c725ddcb7a9823f05e146f958908.jpgshot-20_10.26_15_21.35-0593.thumb.jpg.b0d8e114965bc6a9b245d8243f9709c7.jpgshot-20_10.26_15_21.40-0321.thumb.jpg.053f13cb562fc9235fa9c0bedc0b03dd.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,313
[0456]
Members
3,824 posts
10,091 battles

I do like having a repair. That’s the only thing I really miss from it that I don’t get with kleber- though klebers range and torps remind me of the good ol days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,252
[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
10 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

 

But once Kleber came along, it really just took everything Khabarovsk did and did it better.  Not a ton of reason to play the latter if you have the former.

Yeah Kleber is miles better than the Khab.  I mean the French DDs even have a built in "saturation" mechanic that reduces the damage it takes to the hull, much like the saturation mechanic on ships superstructures.   I have had a low health Kleber with like 1800 HP or really just one salvo from death, just magically eat shells from my Halland causing zero damage while he took me down from 18k health.  Compare that to the Khab which takes full damage from AP and there is no competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,021
[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,824 battles

The Frogs just do everything better, including the ambush    /  HE spam style 

I don't have the UU tho so maybe that's a big deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53
[GGWP]
Beta Testers
328 posts
19,137 battles

took my khab out after not playing it in a couple  yrs and have rediscovered the fun. i still miss the old khab but i am having fun with her lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,656
[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
1 hour ago, Midnitewolf said:

Yeah Kleber is miles better than the Khab.  I mean the French DDs even have a built in "saturation" mechanic that reduces the damage it takes to the hull, much like the saturation mechanic on ships superstructures.   I have had a low health Kleber with like 1800 HP or really just one salvo from death, just magically eat shells from my Halland causing zero damage while he took me down from 18k health.  Compare that to the Khab which takes full damage from AP and there is no competition. 

I'm on the side that given the newer competition against it, Khab probably deserves to have it's nerfs rescinded a bit to help it be more competitive again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
230
[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
315 posts
5,392 battles

I got Khaba's UU and removed it after like 6/7 horrendous games. You literally turn like a battleship, it sucked for me.

Khaba turns like an island, sure, but the UU just makes dodging even harder.. and you kinda need to dodge some shells..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,656
[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
7 hours ago, Torenico said:

I got Khaba's UU and removed it after like 6/7 horrendous games. You literally turn like a battleship, it sucked for me.

Khaba turns like an island, sure, but the UU just makes dodging even harder.. and you kinda need to dodge some shells..

Do you run extra steering gears mod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
230
[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
315 posts
5,392 battles
7 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Do you run extra steering gears mod?

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,766
[SALVO]
Members
25,495 posts
27,483 battles
On 10/26/2020 at 7:01 AM, Ace_04 said:

I prefer to play it backing up other friendly DDs entering caps to help bully around any red DDs that show up to contest.

I find those rare matches where I'm one of only two DDs (or heaven forbid, the only DD) on a Domination map to be a tough challenge.

It's nice to be able to back up a friendly DD.  But so often, it happens that you don't have that option unless your team has 4 DDs.  And quite often, someone on your team will complain about bringing a Khab to the battle.  Or they'll demand that you do normal DD things, when frankly it's nearly impossible when you're running around with a 9.7 km concealment range.

I really hope that the new Russian tier 10 DD they're working on will replace the Khab in the tech tree and that they'll make the Khab a tier 10 premium.  I also hope that this new DD is far more capable of acting like a normal DD, i.e. having decent concealment, usable torps, legitimately able to contest caps, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,656
[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
4 hours ago, Crucis said:

It's nice to be able to back up a friendly DD.  But so often, it happens that you don't have that option unless your team has 4 DDs.  And quite often, someone on your team will complain about bringing a Khab to the battle.  Or they'll demand that you do normal DD things, when frankly it's nearly impossible when you're running around with a 9.7 km concealment range.

I really hope that the new Russian tier 10 DD they're working on will replace the Khab in the tech tree and that they'll make the Khab a tier 10 premium.  I also hope that this new DD is far more capable of acting like a normal DD, i.e. having decent concealment, usable torps, legitimately able to contest caps, etc.

You're pretty much spot on with all your points here.

As for the R10 (or whatever they'll call the T10 Tashkent), I have no doubt it will be more competitive (how couldn't it?).  But if they are going to move Khabarovsk to "special" status like Moskva, I still think it needs some love to give it more of a desire level than it currently has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,766
[SALVO]
Members
25,495 posts
27,483 battles
55 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

You're pretty much spot on with all your points here.

As for the R10 (or whatever they'll call the T10 Tashkent), I have no doubt it will be more competitive (how couldn't it?).  But if they are going to move Khabarovsk to "special" status like Moskva, I still think it needs some love to give it more of a desire level than it currently has.

1. I really wish that they'd give the R10 an actual name.  "R10" sounds like a project number, and seems rather boring to me.  (German DDs get a pass on this for me, since that was apparently their naming tradition.)  Regardless, you're right when you say that the R10 could hardly avoid being more competitive.

2. Regarding the Khab, I'm not sure what they could do to improve the Khab as a "special" T10 ship.  As a DD, if it's concealment remains super high, it'll always be the sort of DD that most teams would rather not have since it would be more like a CL than a DD.   But, for yucks, if they made it a cruiser, it would become vulnerable to citadel hits, unless they made some sort of exception for the Khab.  Maybe the exception could be for the ship to not even have a citadel area on the ship.  This might be a  way around having some special programming to create a special exception.  This would mean that the ship would still be vulnerable to the normal full penetration hits (i.e. 1/3 of the shell's max damage).  I doubt that that would be enough to make the Khab really "special", but it would allow it to function as a cruiser.  Maybe give it better, more useful torps, whether 8 km or 10 km ones. 

The thing is that if a "special ship" Khab was reclassified as a cruiser, it seems to me like the Khab as is would feel like a rather underwhelming CL.  Its guns, while nice for a gunboat DD, seem underwhelming for a "cruiser".

Alternatively, I suppose that they could try to adjust the Khab to be a better DD, by which I mean a ship that's better able to perform DD duties.  This would mostly mean reducing its concealment down to at least the low 7's (with all upgrades and skills and camo factored in).  And maybe give it usable 8 km (or 10 km) torpedoes.  Also, I think that the ship's maneuverability needs to be addressed, because currently, it's only reasonably maneuverable if you mount the Steering Mod 2 upgrade in slot 5 instead of the Concealment upgrade.  And I think that this is one of the things that makes the Khab less competitive.  That is, if you try to go for a concealment build on the current Khab, you can get it down to 7.86 km, but at the same time you'd have the agility of a very pregnant whale.  Improve the Khab's agility so that the slot 5  steering module isn't needed, and suddenly the ship starts looking a whole lot better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×