You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Big_Red_1

how exactly does MM worK?

63 comments in this topic

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles

how does MM really work? i heard from some user on metacritic say the better you do the worse/mouth drooler/brain dead team you get placed in. is that true?

• Haha 2
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,297 posts
22,581 battles
7 minutes ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

i heard from some user on metacritic say the better you do the worse/mouth drooler/brain dead team you get placed in. is that true?

Yeah well I heard someone say Elvis is still alive, the Nazis have a base on the moon and Bigfoot is real.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 3
  • Haha 1

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Yeah well I heard someone say Elvis is still alive, the Nazis have a base on the moon and Bigfoot is real.

but seriously is it true? yes or no?

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,172 battles

MM looks at ship tier and type only! It makes no other consideration. 

There is also an algorithm that tracks your last 20 battles in a tier to reduce the number of matches you are low tier. It is supposed to limit that to 40% of battles in that tier that you are low tier.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,297 posts
22,581 battles
Just now, The_Big_Red_1 said:

but seriously is it true? yes or no?

I don't know for sure. Never been to the moon, Elvis could've faked his death and there are new creatures being discovered every year.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles
1 minute ago, Mudd_H_F__XX said:

There is also an algorithm that tracks your last 20 battles in a tier to reduce the number of matches you are low tier. It is supposed to limit that to 40% of battles in that tier that you are low tier.

and somehow i get roped into T10 matches instead of T7-8 matches.

• Cool 2

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

I don't know for sure. Never been to the moon, Elvis could've faked his death and there are new creatures being discovered every year.

i was talking about MM and i am dead serious. so yes or no?

• Haha 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,297 posts
22,581 battles
Just now, The_Big_Red_1 said:

Your question has been answered.

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,172 battles
1 minute ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

and somehow i get roped into T10 matches instead of T7-8 matches.

List them! Screenshots of 50 consecutive matches using a tier 8.

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles
1 minute ago, Mudd_H_F__XX said:

List them! Screenshots of 50 consecutive matches using a tier 8.

that's a pretty tall order...

• Haha 1

Members
139 posts
2,534 battles
4 minutes ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

If you’re claiming you always get uptiered it’s not that big of an ask to provide proof, besides 50 isn’t really enough it averages out to 40% bottom tier over hundreds of games, not keeping you always at 40%. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,719 posts
19,714 battles
21 minutes ago, Lert said:

Big foot and Elvis riding the loch ness monster your argument is invalid |  Work quotes funny, Work humor, Nurse humor

The truth is out there!

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,297 posts
22,581 battles
14 minutes ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

Hardly. People play thousands of games. Collecting MM screenshots of 50 isn't that hard.

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles
5 hours ago, Lert said:

Hardly. People play thousands of games. Collecting MM screenshots of 50 isn't that hard.

except i don't play as much as i used to aptly because of the potatoes, mouth drooling teams i often get assigned to and you get the idea.

• Meh 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,959 posts
32,014 battles
24 minutes ago, Mudd_H_F__XX said:

^^This.  Win-rate, and other factors are not influenced in match-making.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Matchmaking

• Thanks 2

[WORX]
Members
14,388 posts
20,956 battles

I swear, tell people the moon is made from Wisconsin Cheese and they will believe every word you say.

MM goes with these known rules

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Matchmaking

Based on ships and players waiting in queue. That is it (without using the applied math to further drive the point, its Random).

[CNO]
Members
6,804 posts
20,467 battles
55 minutes ago, Lert said:

Yeah well I heard someone say Elvis is still alive, 

But...but...but...he IS ALIVE

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TOG]
Members
4,617 posts
29,220 battles
1 hour ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

how does MM really work? i heard from some user on metacritic say the better you do the worse/mouth drooler/brain dead team you get placed in. is that true?

Typical spread +/- 2 tiers

Special rules: T4: +1/-2  A 'protected' tier

T8 supposedly tweaked to prevent being low tier in most matches. The result is increased probability of T7 being uptiered in my experience.

The highest tier in a division is considered to MM matchmaking. A div of T7/T6 ships can find themselves in a T9 match.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,237 posts
4,363 battles
2 hours ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

the better you do the worse/mouth drooler/brain dead team you get placed in. is that true?

This is obviously false. Everyone knows you have to sacrifice a chicken to RNGesus under a full moon in order to get good MM

Spoiler

The number of sarcastic responses on this thread should give you your answer OP

[WOLFG]
Members
34,398 posts
10,719 battles
2 hours ago, The_Big_Red_1 said:

No way to know for sure, although WG says they don't, and I don't feel like it's that way.

WG does have a patent on their MM, which people will claim proves WG does this. However, actually reading the patent shows nothing about putting you on bad teams if you win more, simply making you higher or lower tier if you had a win/loss streak. Note that the patent contains a lot of things they can do with MM, and covers WoT, WoWP, and WoWS, so some things may be used in some games but not in others. Some of the other things they mention are how they give premium tanks in WoT preferred MM, for example.

None of the things they have patented have anything to do with favoring one team over the other to win.

I think too many people have a few good games, and think they were the star, when they only won because the rest of the team pulled their weight. So when they get a bad team, (which we all get on a regular basis) instead of realising this, they blame their past performance and MM.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,421 posts
12,122 battles
20 hours ago, Bill_Halsey said:

T8 supposedly tweaked to prevent being low tier in most matches. The result is increased probability of T7 being uptiered in my experience.

Tier VIII is not given any different treatment than other tiers under the new rules. MM is random, while WG’s new algorithm seeks to limit the occurrence of being bottom tier (+2 MM) to a rolling average of 40% over your 20 most recent battles at each tier. Tier VIII and tier VII MM both changed the most simply because they were the tiers that received the most harmful and beneficial effects, respectively, under the old rules. Due to the population at tier X, tier VIIIs would be drawn into a disproportional number of tier X games, which would in turn result in tier VIIs being top tier a disproportionate amount of the time.

Under the new rules, tier VIIIs are drawn into fewer tier X matches, which means there are more tier VIII matches for tier VII ships to populate.

Edited by Nevermore135

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,198 posts

Look guys... I already have disproved the accuracy of the so-called workings of MM a few months back by playing T8 ships. The whole topic was started because of what felt like an inordinate amount of up tiering. 

I tracked nearly twenty matches - which got kind of boring - in non-cv matches. The claimed 40% did not appear - in fact it was opposite what the claimed rates were supposed to be...

You will of course note the expected snarky comments. 

But I am satisfied MM does not work as advertised. If you want to track oh, a hundred T8 only matches, maybe 50 non-CV and fifty CV, I'd be interested in seeing your results. 

Just be sure to stick with T8 and random mode. Don't switch around to other tiers or other modes. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz
  • Haha 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,306 posts
21,526 battles

You want to be sure to enter your WG code that gives you favorable MM by stacking your team with unicums.  

Edited by FrodoFraggin
Oops, this was supposed to be a PM, there are no such codes, thing to see here, move along, move along