Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Average_Joe

I take it all back, WeeGee

15 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
581 posts
26,317 battles

I have flamed WG many times on this forum for Defense of Naval Station Newport.  It seems that playing that Op was a waste of good camo and signal flags.  My overall win rate was very low, and rarely did my team get more that a couple of stars when we did win.  I took the week off Ops when Newport came up in the rotation and played Randoms for good XP battles.

I was wrong.

A player needs to find the right ship, and the correct strategy for playing that ship in the Op.  For me, it is Leander.  Usually this weekend I've been north of 100K, and with a BB on the team that can help carry I've been winning consistently.  We had a great CV player in my last battle, and I finally finished with a 5-star game.

Now, if they would bring back Cherry Blossom I might once again be a happy player.  :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,190 posts
19,799 battles

Newport has always been winnable, generally with a full team that knows what they are doing. Random teams however, generally suck no natter how hard you carry. I tried to get into a battle late Friday night and waited about 3 minutes before I switched to Co op again. People have learned to pretty much stay away from Newport and it will stay that way until WG decides to pull their head out and change it a little bit, like allowing tier 7 ships.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,913 posts
31,718 battles
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Newport has always been winnable, generally with a full team that knows what they are doing. Random teams however, generally suck no natter how hard you carry. I tried to get into a battle late Friday night and waited about 3 minutes before I switched to Co op again. People have learned to pretty much stay away from Newport and it will stay that way until WG decides to pull their head out and change it a little bit, like allowing tier 7 ships.

^^This.  Early days of operations, people played them and learned how to beat them.  This made 5-star games more of the rule, than the exception.  Now, there are too many players that play this scenario a couple of times and get frustrated and don't learn how to beat it.  If you can get a team that knows how to win, it leads to 4 or 5-star victory, but with players that don't understand this, and 0, 1-star or loss.

[RLGN]
Members
16,809 posts
29,440 battles

Two things; why would you play Leander?

In my experience the bots basically give you a big fat bird and somehow magically always manage to be at angles that make RN CL AP so much hot garbage.

Was your carrier driver a masochist?

Newport is an Op meant for RTS carriers. Why would anyone waste their time playing one in it now, outside perhaps as a part of a full team attempt?

7 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

^^This.  Early days of operations, people played them and learned how to beat them.  This made 5-star games more of the rule, than the exception.  Now, there are too many players that play this scenario a couple of times and get frustrated and don't learn how to beat it.  If you can get a team that knows how to win, it leads to 4 or 5-star victory, but with players that don't understand this, and 0, 1-star or loss.

Blame WG; they probably love it because players can’t farm it like the other Ops that were removed for ‘reasons.’

I’ve five stared this Op in RTS Ryujo; once by ramming the Izumo; but because ‘Random teams’ as you said, and the worthless FPS carriers, it's not worth bothering with any more.

Off week for Ops.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
581 posts
26,317 battles
11 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Two things; why would you play Leander?

In my experience the bots basically give you a big fat bird and somehow magically always manage to be at angles that make RN CL AP so much hot garbage.

Newport is an Op meant for RTS carriers. Why would anyone waste their time playing one in it now, outside perhaps as a part of a full team attempt?

Blame WG; they probably love it because players can’t farm it like the other Ops that were removed for ‘reasons.’

I’ve five stared this Op in RTS Ryujo; once by ramming the Izumo; but because ‘Random teams’ as you said, and the worthless FPS carriers, it's not worth bothering with any more.

Off week for Ops.

The first wave is easy with just the four CLs and a full team of shooters.  Then there is plenty of time to reposition Leander for the second and third wave so that she can have broadside targets.  Get in the right spot, smoke up, and start wasting DDs and CLs.  Send torps at the BBs as they move up and sometimes you get lucky.  Move back into the harbor a bit for the main wave when it comes. 

You would have to ask the CV drivers if they are masochist.  I don't chat with them myself.  :Smile_veryhappy:  

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,410 battles
20 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

2 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

You would have to ask the CV drivers if they are masochist.  I don't chat with them myself.  :Smile_veryhappy:  

Naval Station Newport is actually pretty good for tier 6 CV's, and it's not hard to do well with any of them:

First spawn is 4 IJN CL's, use rockets if you can't torp them, pretty easy, German CV's eat them alive with rockets. They're glorified destroyers with citadels.

Second Spawn is 2 BB's, 1 CA, and 2 DD's, also pretty easy.

Third Spawn is a pack of cruisers and DD's, that's the rough one, but you can pick away at the edges.

The Final attack you just pick one side or the other (hopefully based on who needs the most help), and work your way to the other end. Attacking the Izumo will be costly, but hopefully your team can burn it down and you don't "need" to kill it.

As a CV it's pretty easy, it's the surface ships that don't understand that they have to keep their guns in action as much as possible.

The biggest source of failure on Newport is people not understanding that scenarios are designed to run 20 minutes. You get people that sail out from the base to close with the bots and destroy them just like they would in Co-Op. They trade their ship for a couple of kills, with 15 minutes left.

[WPORT]
Members
11,541 posts
15,861 battles

@Estimated_Prophet and @Joe_918145, I don't consider myself a masochist. 
But I do enjoy playing CV's and played to earn some credits in Defense of Naval Station Newport, last night and this morning.
Results varied, including a win, a defeat and a 2-star win that my team-mate and I pulled out of our hat with great effort and much anxiety (Ryujo).

20201024_221015_PBSA518-Ark-Royal_s02_Naval_Defense.wowsreplay
20201024_223302_PGSA506-Erich-Loewenhardt_s02_Naval_Defense.wowsreplay
20201025_093348_PBSC516-London_s02_Naval_Defense.wowsreplay
20201025_095226_PBSA518-Ark-Royal_s02_Naval_Defense.wowsreplay
20201025_101556_PJSA106-Ryujo_s02_Naval_Defense.wowsreplay

shot-20_10.24_22_52.59-0141.thumb.jpg.04e64e1e6b6232436e698ea68c53ae7b.jpg
shot-20_10.25_10_36.48-0466.thumb.jpg.c0366550b8ed9694036a48680cc4381b.jpg

[RLGN]
Members
16,809 posts
29,440 battles
38 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

irst spawn is 4 IJN CL's, use rockets if you can't torp them, pretty easy, German CV's eat them alive with rockets. They're glorified destroyers with citadels.

Except as I've said in other post, most of the time I can't see the KM CV rocket reticle to use it, never mind the usual bot shenannigans of deciding to turn and arf up your aim when you do manage to catch them broadside.

I can't recall that I've ever scored more than incidental damage with that junk, certainly not any citadels.

Love the attack profile where you basically have to ignore AA, fly straight at a target, (forget using mountains for cover, because the reticle goes off to Disneyland or something,) and hope they're a blithering idiot and don't turn in order to actually get useful damage with the ordinance.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,410 battles
3 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Except as I've said in other post, most of the time I can't see the KM CV rocket reticle to use it, never mind the usual bot shenannigans of deciding to turn and arf up your aim when you do manage to catch them broadside.

I can't recall that I've ever scored more than incidental damage with that junk, certainly not any citadels.

Love the attack profile where you basically have to ignore AA, fly straight at a target, (forget using mountains for cover, because the reticle goes off to Disneyland or something,) and hope they're a blithering idiot and don't turn in order to actually get useful damage with the ordinance.

The Beauty of Newport is the bot's are heading to the base perimeter in a straight line, few shenanigans, and mostly you're at least equal tier, if not top tier or higher.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts
27 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

The Beauty of Newport is the bot's are heading to the base perimeter in a straight line, few shenanigans, and mostly you're at least equal tier, if not top tier or higher.

This ^ 

I torp the hell out of them with ryujo on this op.

[-BCO-]
Members
3,026 posts
5,246 battles
On 10/25/2020 at 7:07 PM, Joe_918145 said:

I have flamed WG many times on this forum for Defense of Naval Station Newport.  It seems that playing that Op was a waste of good camo and signal flags.  My overall win rate was very low, and rarely did my team get more that a couple of stars when we did win.  I took the week off Ops when Newport came up in the rotation and played Randoms for good XP battles.

I was wrong.

A player needs to find the right ship, and the correct strategy for playing that ship in the Op.  For me, it is Leander.  Usually this weekend I've been north of 100K, and with a BB on the team that can help carry I've been winning consistently.  We had a great CV player in my last battle, and I finally finished with a 5-star game.

Now, if they would bring back Cherry Blossom I might once again be a happy player.  :Smile_Default:

Yes. The Leander is VERY good in this op. I play like four ships( Nurnberg, Leander, De Grasse, and the Budyo) when it is Newport. The key is to use the right consumable at right time in the right spot.

7-10 kills are the norm in it, with the assorted cits.

[-BCO-]
Members
3,026 posts
5,246 battles
On 10/25/2020 at 9:21 PM, SgtBeltfed said:

Lolz!! Tell that to the incompetent cv players who tend to attack cruisers with torps making them turn and sometimes get stuck behind islands.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,716 posts
13,410 battles
4 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

Lolz!! Tell that to the incompetent cv players who tend to attack cruisers with torps making them turn and sometimes get stuck behind islands.

With the teams these days, I'd rather have a cruiser get stuck on an island and need to kill it as a CV, that trust the team to kill everything before it gets in the base. This time around, the gunnery displayed by the players has usually been horrid.

[-BCO-]
Members
3,026 posts
5,246 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

With the teams these days, I'd rather have a cruiser get stuck on an island and need to kill it as a CV, that trust the team to kill everything before it gets in the base. This time around, the gunnery displayed by the players has usually been horrid.

Well....  maybe you have a point there:) I also try to do as much as possible by myself.  In 3v3 ranked I had  a Pommern who literally torped an island because the red bb was behind it :) The island didn't sink, but he did.

Sign in to follow this