You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
General_Lee_Miserable

Kansas And Minnesota Are Ruining Battles

55 comments in this topic

Members
856 posts
6,166 battles

Everyone has their Kansas this weekend and a larger number of Minnesotas are popping up. It is showing! My most recent battle has led me to make this post. 41% 610 battle player strolls out in a Minnesota and sabotages the battle for us. I checked his profile and the only tier 9 or above battles he has is a total of 14 in Minne at a 35% WR. That's just lovely. I can hold my nose to a certain degree about tier 8 and 9 premiums being sold outright to anyone. It funds the game and keeps the lights on for everyone. BUT... to effectively sell a tier 9 tech tree ship for doubloons kinda seems unnecessary. How much money do you need, WG?  At least most of the tier 8 and tier 9 premiums are strong ships and forgiving to noobs to a certain degree. But, the Minne and Kansas are challenging ships to play with success. One you can just buy if you have that much excess coin. The other you only have to play tier 5 co-op.  That is not having a very positive result for battles, especially if you get a noob with one on your team. 

• Cool 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 15
  • Meh 3

[GOCRY]
Members
627 posts

A little over-dramatic, don’t you think?  There have always been whales with ships above their skill level.  It sucks when they’re on your team, and you cackle with glee when they’re on the enemy team. Kansas and Minnesota haven’t changed anything.

• Cool 3

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,036 posts

Wow... I need to get in my carriers and hunt these ships down, yes? Let's see if I can find any. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,815 battles

Mental health tip 

Getting mad over pubbie play and checking their stats etc will lead to more, not less aggravation 

If it was a bad match just exit and onto the next one

• Cool 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,307 posts

Someone pass him the cheeze to go along with his whine...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Haha 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
42 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

41% 610 battle player strolls out in a Minnesota and sabotages the battle for us. I checked his profile and the only tier 9 or above battles he has is a total of 14 in Minne at a 35% WR.

Hardly the fault of the ship. Wait till it goes out to general release and every potato and his dog is driving one.

• Cool 2

[TRU]
Members
694 posts
20,083 battles
42 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

A little over-dramatic, don’t you think?  There have always been whales with ships above their skill level.  It sucks when they’re on your team, and you cackle with glee when they’re on the enemy team. Kansas and Minnesota haven’t changed anything.

People always forget this.   I always think of this as a prize when you see that fat battleship parked by and island unaware that they are about to become a XP pinata. 

[BTLST]
Members
660 posts
10,408 battles

WoWs is comprised primarily of players who live in freedom.    So every player has the right to purchase any ship being sold if they wish and the right to play any ship they wish to play that is in their port.    Ships and games are not restricted only to players of a certain skill level except by Tier and the match-maker of the game itself.    WoWs, like all games, can be very frustrating to all players.    YES!  Even me as I am human like the rest of my fellow players.    We've all been in games where players have responded badly when "they" think others are not performing up to that player's expectations (primarily when that player's team is losing, or they are sunk) so they "act out."     Either they use toxic, or heated words in chat, or actually attempt to damage or sink their own teammates, or report the offending player inappropriately, even all these actions together.    When I hit that anger zone I try to pause, calm down, and continue playing by remembering the adage I was taught by my mother many years ago -  "Sticks and Stones may break my bones - But words they c.annot hurt me!"      The game would be less toxic if players acted as if they were playing in front of their mothers instead of locked in a dark room where they can act out in with little chance of anyone ever knocking on their door to directly challenge them, unlike on a playground.     I am not trying to antagonize or put down anyone.  Instead, I am merely attempting in my poor way the reality of the landscape of gaming with others.     

• Cool 3

Members
856 posts
6,166 battles
9 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

People always forget this.   I always think of this as a prize when you see that fat battleship parked by and island unaware that they are about to become a XP pinata. 

My point is WG is intentionally making the problem worse when there is no need to do so. 

• Haha 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
19 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

My point is WG is intentionally making the problem worse when there is no need to do so. 

No, that's your OPINION. 

If you want to complain about an influx of normally low-tier players who doublooned their way to the Minnesota and/or fought their way through the directives to the Kansas, then took their new high-tier beauties into battle and found that their technique isn't good enough to make the cut at Tier 8, by all means do so. But be rigorous in your argument about why and where you are placing the blame.

The flipside is that if you're complaining about a Tier 5 or 6 player at most who suddenly finds themselves in a T8 or T9 battleship with a high skill floor in a T10 battle and is promptly out of their depth, you are correct to be frustrated... but you are also implying that the grind was easy enough for said beginner to complete. Which is, in itself, a good sign even if it leads to the situation you find so frustrating.

The one thing you can't do is arbitrarily lock unskilled players you don't want on your team out of ships you don't want on your team.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
52 posts

OP, as a noob I can flip the script on you. I play my tier 4 Orion, The wait to get into these low tier battles is kind of long but to my point I actually did 180,000 damage in that ship in one game my best yet.

Then I have games (in tier 4) where I get erased in a few minutes by invisible ships after the game I look at the stats the players have 10 to 20,000 battles in randoms I'm sure they have 19 point captains.

I'm not complaining just pointing out it works both ways and me personally I have multiple high tier premium ships but you won't see me in randoms for a long time I stay in co-op where I can play them get used to them but most importantly build my captain skills to 17 18 19 points so when I do continue my grind I'll have at least a sporting chance.

Just because I have the money to buy the ship I know better than to try to play in randoms at my skill level I would be an XP pinata and a drain on my team.

• Cool 3

[-A-8-]
Members
508 posts
20,513 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Everyone has their Kansas this weekend and a larger number of Minnesotas are popping up. It is showing! My most recent battle has led me to make this post. 41% 610 battle player strolls out in a Minnesota and sabotages the battle for us. I checked his profile and the only tier 9 or above battles he has is a total of 14 in Minne at a 35% WR. That's just lovely. I can hold my nose to a certain degree about tier 8 and 9 premiums being sold outright to anyone. It funds the game and keeps the lights on for everyone. BUT... to effectively sell a tier 9 tech tree ship for doubloons kinda seems unnecessary. How much money do you need, WG?  At least most of the tier 8 and tier 9 premiums are strong ships and forgiving to noobs to a certain degree. But, the Minne and Kansas are challenging ships to play with success. One you can just buy if you have that much excess coin. The other you only have to play tier 5 co-op.  That is not having a very positive result for battles, especially if you get a noob with one on your team. 

It happens around every release of a new line. Just look at the queues to see a huge number of the class people are getting their hands on.

The Kansas grind has come to an end and people are getting out in them to try them out. I mean, why wouldn't you? Only seen the odd Minnesota but if it had been my 1st random bundle I'd have gladly dropped 1k doubloons on it so I didn't have to grind it out. I'm sure other have, and maybe spent more, as it's their right to spend their money on what they want. No one, including WG, can make people spend on something that they don't want to.

As for that particular players stats, there are plenty at all tiers who will have similar. Take the rough with the smooth. After all I'm sure you'd not have been here had he been on the opposition and you'd won the game.

[V_V_V]
Members
806 posts
15,887 battles
14 minutes ago, wildgooseman said:

After all I'm sure you'd not have been here had he been on the opposition and you'd won the game.

Lol,  I apologize for any possibility of not having been on his team in my earned 100% WR Kansas (1 game played).

[WKY12]
Members
799 posts
12,900 battles

It's a game, not a job where you are affected by crappy co-workers. Quit caring and have fun; I can almost guarantee that person in that Minne was having fun.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
28,139 posts
24,488 battles
24 minutes ago, SilverPhatShips said:

new US battleships are delicious:cap_like:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Haha 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,036 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Hardly the fault of the ship. Wait till it goes out to general release and every potato and his dog is driving one.

The dogs will probably play the better of the two. 

[INTEL]
Members
1,778 posts
15,774 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Explain your reasoning please. You gave an example of a player in Minnie. Do you think the same player would have been anything but a liability in any other T9 BB?

There's basically two types of bad BB players. Those who snipe all game and those who charge in completely oblivious to any tactics. Snipers are going to snipe no matter what they're sailing. So that leaves the YOLO, which the Minnie and Kansas can only do by accident. Are you inferring that Minnie and Kansas are ruining battles by being unable to yolo fast enough?

WG could release the 1980's Iowa's, limit them to one per match and you'd still have bad players inventing a way to be a liability to the team.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
10 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

the 1980's Iowa's,

Remember a couple of years back when they had that Halloween monster version of the North Carolina, whose special consumable reduced dispersion to nothing and raised Sigma to impossible levels? I sort of imagine today's Iowas shooting something like that. ALL the time.

[INTEL]
Members
1,778 posts
15,774 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Remember a couple of years back when they had that Halloween monster version of the North Carolina, whose special consumable reduced dispersion to nothing and raised Sigma to impossible levels? I sort of imagine today's Iowas shooting something like that. ALL the time.

Yep, and you still saw epic fails by those NC drivers.

[PMWC1]
Members
197 posts
6,274 battles

I don’t mind the new players as they have a chance to learn and improve.

It’s also a great time to play Asashio.

Edited by DM31

[HMFIC]
[HMFIC]
Beta Testers
61 posts
9,992 battles

There are a lot of players that expect the game to adapt to the style they want to play instead of adapting their style to the match they are currently playing.   If you see a noob with a Kansas you know they don't know what they are doing and adjust your play accordingly.