You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Skpstr

Akizuki vs. Kitakaze

33 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
30,595 posts
9,232 battles

Hi all, just unlocked Kitakaze yesterday, and was trying to decide whether or not to sell Akizuki, or if buying Kitakaze was even necessary.

What I'm seeing when I compare is that basically, the ships are identical, except for a 50% larger torps spread, (with 50% longer reload) and 3.5 knots more speed.

I know that the extra upgrade slot is also a factor, but I don't know what I would put in there. I don't need faster reload or more range, (or do I? It's at 12.5km now)

I would normally keep both, but I don't know if the 10-pointer I would use would cut it for Akizuki. (my 15-pointer would move up to Kita)

Anyway, I'm not sure whether to stop at Akizuki, get Kitakaze and sell Akizuki, or have both. I would appreciate some input :Smile_Default:

[WPORT]
Members
6,589 posts
11,600 battles

You display the Collector's Club Shield.

I'm a member, too.

I suggest keeping both, for snowflake events, and simply assigning a lower-point Commander to the 'Bote you don't plan on sailing as often.

10 skill points gets you to Concealment Expert, if you're careful.  So at least you can attempt to be stealthy.

• Cool 1

[GOCRY]
Members
627 posts

Definitely keep both, if only for the snowflakes.

Plus, there may be missions that require one or the other.  Even if you don’t come back to the Alizuki for a couple of years, it will be there waiting for you when you do.

Due to 5Epochs, I’ve dusted off a bunch of my tech tree ships, put in new captains, and started playing them. Even with some low point captains, I’ve had a lot of fun.

Edited by SeaGladius

[ARC]
Members
1,000 posts
11,146 battles
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I kept both... but then, I don't sell ships unless I hate them.

I even keep those that I skip, try to research their playstyle and try to perform. I have 100M credits hanging around (even when I tried to skip lines), even if I sell 1 or 2 ships (tier 5 or 6) it wont make a difference. Higher up is more difficult to sell thanks to the Snowflakes rewards.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,595 posts
9,232 battles

I guess I can keep both.

Credits are kind of an issue at the moment, but I can always grind credits with my T9 coal ships.

Although, I'm kind of on a DD kick right now and don't really want to lol.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

You'll likely want to have Akizuki for next time T8 Ranked rolls around.....

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
28,141 posts
24,488 battles

Both are among the better Destroyers for their given tier, most especially Kitakaze.

I still remember the comedy of watching Akizuki outspot and ambush Tier VI & VII Destroyers.  Legalized murder.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,595 posts
9,232 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I still remember the comedy of watching Akizuki outspot and ambush Tier VI & VII Destroyers. 

What I've been finding, playing Benson and Akizuki a lot lately, is that I'm outspotting a lot of DDs I shouldn't be.

Like outspotting most of the Kageros and Shimas I'm playing against.

Are there really that many high-tier DD players not running CE and the concealment upgrade? I mean, for Aki (I have both on mine, so 6.1km) to outspot Kag, the Kag player has to be missing both. (or 1 and no camo) My Kag is at 5.4km.

I get that I can outspot other Akis, as they may be running gunboat builds. But IJN torp DDs?

[O_O]
Members
6,753 posts
16,154 battles

I certainly kept Akizuki, and even assigned one of my New Year perma-camo from last year to her.  I kept Kitakaze, also.

[DOG]
Members
1,174 posts
12,354 battles
59 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Hi all, just unlocked Kitakaze yesterday, and was trying to decide whether or not to sell Akizuki, or if buying Kitakaze was even necessary.

What I'm seeing when I compare is that basically, the ships are identical, except for a 50% larger torps spread, (with 50% longer reload) and 3.5 knots more speed.

I know that the extra upgrade slot is also a factor, but I don't know what I would put in there. I don't need faster reload or more range, (or do I? It's at 12.5km now)

I would normally keep both, but I don't know if the 10-pointer I would use would cut it for Akizuki. (my 15-pointer would move up to Kita)

Anyway, I'm not sure whether to stop at Akizuki, get Kitakaze and sell Akizuki, or have both. I would appreciate some input :Smile_Default:

I'd keep both for now.  You'll want all the tier VIII and IX ships you can get for the snowflake event in December.  Each one is worth 75 steel (or 83 steel if you have the full clan bonus).  After you get the steel, you can consider selling the Akizuki.  I sold mine mostly because of the speed.  I really like Kitakaze.  I normally move my commanders up to the tier X when I get it, but I kept Kitakaze's 19 point commander in it when I got Harugumo, because Harugumo feels a bit sluggish to me.  It's still a good ship, but when I play DDs, I prefer to feel like I'm prancing around doing Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies.

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

I really need to grind this line...not for the snowflakes, but for the lulz. After all, 75 steel a ship is inconsequential to me.  It might be nice to buy something for steel 10 years from now if the game is still around, but I’ve no idea where Steel comes from or how to get it in meaningful quantities...certainly not from anything I do routinely.

[O_O]
Members
6,753 posts
16,154 battles
1 minute ago, Mahrs said:

but I’ve no idea where Steel comes from or how to get it in meaningful quantities...

Super containers.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,141 posts
24,488 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

What I've been finding, playing Benson and Akizuki a lot lately, is that I'm outspotting a lot of DDs I shouldn't be.

Like outspotting most of the Kageros and Shimas I'm playing against.

Are there really that many high-tier DD players not running CE and the concealment upgrade? I mean, for Aki (I have both on mine, so 6.1km) to outspot Kag, the Kag player has to be missing both. (or 1 and no camo) My Kag is at 5.4km.

I get that I can outspot other Akis, as they may be running gunboat builds. But IJN torp DDs?

Full Stealth Build is a very big divider between "Have" and "Have Nots" in the Destroyer part of the game.  It used to be worse.  In the old skill system, Concealment Expert was a Tier 5 skill and lots of players never had a Full Stealth Build, even for a DD.

Some players can be speeding up, i.e. FreeXP'ing higher in a tech tree line without having sufficient captains with points.  Let's say their experience has primarily been in Cruisers and / or Battleships, then decide to work on some DD Line without having a good captain with even 10 pts for their DDs.  Yet here they are, with 3, 4, 5, 6pt captain on Shiratsuyu, Kagero, etc.  They sped up the grind with FreeXP, maybe some grinding in lower and mid tiers, got tired, and went to Tier VII, VIII, or whatever, without having good points captain for their DDs.  I can easily see that happening, because I did that in the past when I was newer.

-- They could take a captain from one of their Cruisers / Battleships / Carriers for that nationality, and turn him into a DD captain, but that requires Doubloons for retraining, which some may not do because they're strictly F2P.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SBS]
Members
6,101 posts
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Just comparing the numbers they are very similar ships, however, they play/feel much more differently than you'd think.  With the Kita you get better concealment, better rudder shift, more speed, and the extra upgrade slot, which you want to take the main battery mod 3 for the faster reload.  The combination of all of these little things makes the Kita feel like a massive upgrade to the Akizuki (which is already a strong ship), almost like you skipped the T9 and went straight to a T10 ship.  

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
28,141 posts
24,488 battles

Tier VI Farragut with Full Stealth has 6.6km surface detection range.  If he couldn't have Concealment Expert but still had camo, it would be 7.33km.  Truly atrocious among DDs.

Tier VII Mahan in Full Stealth is an awful 6.67km.  If he was a 'Po Boy and didn't have CE but only used camo, he'd be at an awful 7.41km.

I use these two above as an example to represent mid tier DDs because you will find Mahan and Farragut far more than their other peers within their tiers.

You roll in with Full Stealth Tier VIII 'Zuki:  6.1km.

Same thing with Tier IX Kitakaze?  5.9km!

Full Stealth VIII Benson, IX Fletcher are 5.8km.  Don't forget VIII Kidd who also has Repair Party.

VIII Lightning goes to 5.52km!

IX Jutland is 5.7km.

You got a healthy dose of DD firepower, HP, better concealment advantage with those High Tier DDs over your Mid Tier counterparts.

High Tier DDs meeting Mid Tier ones is a slaughter of the mids.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

The disparity in capabilities is so wide between mid and high tier DDs... Imagine a Tier IX BB like Georgia or Pommern squaring off against a V New York.  That's how I feel about it.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles
2 hours ago, Mahrs said:

I really need to grind this line...not for the snowflakes, but for the lulz. After all, 75 steel a ship is inconsequential to me.  It might be nice to buy something for steel 10 years from now if the game is still around, but I’ve no idea where Steel comes from or how to get it in meaningful quantities...certainly not from anything I do routinely.

If you can, find a clan and do clan battles. 

Participate in every ranked season as far as you can go

Dailies for 40 steel might help, but personally I don't think it'll be too much.

[BELCH]
Members
70 posts
33,362 battles

Keep them both.

1) If you are a collector, it will cost you more in the long run to buy it again. Remember that you only get half-price on selling.

2) Yes, you are credit limited if you haven't yet ground and bought most ship lines. Have you exhausted other credit savings, like selling stock modules on your ships?

3) Having both maximizes bonuses like daily XP bonus, snowflakes, etc. as previously mentioned by others.

4) The tier difference is significant, with the enemy ships that you will usually encounter, especially CVs. For me, win rate in randoms is 58% in Akizuki vs 49% in Kitakaze, a significant difference, probably because I didn't adapt my playing style enough, your mileage may vary.

When I want to take out an IJN gunboat, Akizuki is my top choice.

[UN1]
Members
1,280 posts
3,934 battles
5 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Keep them both.  Like you said, they're practically the same ship, but Kitakaze is faster, has access to a 6th slot module, 50% more torps with superior range, and has medium range AA.  

Both are very strong relative to their tier, with the edge imho going to the Akizuki.  They're just solid all-around destroyers.

[TIMT]
Members
943 posts
4,172 battles
4 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Just comparing the numbers they are very similar ships, however, they play/feel much more differently than you'd think.  With the Kita you get better concealment, better rudder shift, more speed, and the extra upgrade slot, which you want to take the main battery mod 3 for the faster reload.  The combination of all of these little things makes the Kita feel like a massive upgrade to the Akizuki (which is already a strong ship), almost like you skipped the T9 and went straight to a T10 ship.  

Kitakaze is really an upgrade over Akizuki. She feels more DD-like as she has a better rudder, speed, and the slight upgrade in concealment is making her even more dangerous. You can go for faster reload (10% more DPM) or range, though with these guns and their long-range ballistics hitting anything beyond 13km consistently is challenging, at least for me. AFT might also do the trick for you, as does BFT.

I'd say definitely try Kitakaze! Keep Aki for ranked and snowflakes, but try Kita. I did and I don't regret it.

[HEROS]
Members
2,026 posts
18,360 battles

I have noticed how often my "Traditional" full concealment IJN DD builds have been outspotting opposing DDs that I should not have nearly as much advantage over.   On "Should you keep Akizuki?".. In a word "YES!"  It's a good ship.

On the skipping on concealment meem that has been happening is because of the massive radar and air threat at high tiers.  If concealment is useless why bother right?  The one way or the hiway crowd strikes again.  Bloody min/maxers.  This is not world of warchaft you kids..(yea I left misspelled, I admit it!)  Min Maxing doesn't do what you want here because the most OP component of any one ship is the player operating it.  

Don't believe me?.. go watch a Flambass Video when his streamer fans and friends and sponsors challenge him to take out "The Worst Ship" and he slides out and set a new world record result for the ship.  They've even challenged him to take out a base line ship with no upgrades, mods, or cammo.   And he still rips the opposing team a new  waste orifice. And he's not the only one.   I have no where near his skill yet I have done it.   It's not luck, and it's not the ship.  It's the player and the situation they find themselves in.   It's not what ya got as much as how you think.

I have some ships in my collection that I have comfortably over a 50% WR in...  Are they super ships?  No, not really.  Most of them are one trick pony's  But it's a very good trick!   Want an example?  Lets see.. IJN Tier III premium cruiser, 20 knots, no armor to speak of, slug in a turn..packs 2x2 torps  with a 7 Km range.  Packs 2x2 140mm guns that are hyper accurate out to max range with a hideously slow rate of fire,  and packs a fighter float plane a single AAA/Secondary gun and a couple 25mm AA mounts... Ie: other then guns it's a slug,a throw away.. and it' gets ignored as a non-threat..I love that ship!  Yes, it's the training cruiser ..Katori...190 battles, 106 victories and most of them solo.   

Either way.. this is all just an example. 

Keep your ships.  If for no other reason some where the road you may decide you want to do research bureau stuff, and the ships in a specific line the better the payout when resetting a line.

And the reason to follow "conventional wisdom" is because it works most of the time.  Either way your call young sir so let me leave you with my favorite start the battle address.

"Planes up, torps ready, gun out and heads down.  Good Hunting!"

Members
671 posts
72 battles
6 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I have a ton of First blood & Kraken videos with Yamamoto Captain on my channel, but I have since moved Yamamoto to Kitakaze if that says anything at all. I love both ships and I think both are great for their tiers. I even had Yamamoto on Harugumo for a while but I actually find Kitakaze more powerful overall of the 3 so he sits there now. Difference between Kita and Haru is Kita still has almost harus powers but with good concealment while Haru being more a mini Smolensk but without a hydro for your smoke. So if you gonna play that style then why not just play Smolensk if you have her since she has even more power then Haru, more range, take less AP damage, has heal and hydro etc.

Between Aki and Kita its more about what tier you like most. Its almost the same ship tier wise. Aki gets more XP for doing same damage to T10 if down tiered.

Whatever of the 3 you cant really go wrong.

Members
222 posts
9,986 battles

Since the IJN Gunboat line is the cheapest XP wise for research points I kept both Akizuki and Kitakaze with 19pt captains so I can reset the line FXP to Akizuki then play through the t8 and t9 for a line reset.