Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Skipper30087

Seeking advice for my first premium ship purchase

28 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

21
[ICO]
Members
59 posts
1,682 battles

So over time through tyl/sc/daily logins accumulation, and a very cool TWO 1k doubloon from daily containers in the past month or so with the second being today, I am the proud owner of 4065 doubloons (weird number because of accidental clicking too fast and paying to unmount modules, or respeccing captains at various times), which taking into account the coupon gives me an effective purchasing power of 5420 doubloons.

And before anyone suggests using it for a month of premium time; I'd rather not. I'm more than happy to just buy a month of premium time if there's a dockyard or something going on that I'm particularly interested in grinding, and it was nice to randomly hit this doubloon threshold unexpectedly, and I'd rather "celebrate" with something fancy like a new ship than more economical as just hanging on to it to exchange for premium later.

I've never really bought a premium ship before, my only ones were all freebies (charleston, smith, dreadnought), luck (T-61 from a tyl/sc), or spee from the odin dockyard. So I've never really had this degree of choice. I am also fully open to the idea of holding off on a purchase for now, because I know I'm *almost* within purchasing range of a few more ships that also seem to loosely fit my desired criteria on paper e.g. I would need only 60 more doubloons to afford the dunkerque, and 60 doubloons should be a fairly simple eventuality with daily logins/etc miscellaneous sources.

On the other hand; if there really isn't anything here actually worthwhile as far as what I'm looking for, I would like to know that too and not rush some random purchase purely for the sake of making one. I'm perfectly fine with the scenario that some time from now, there's some dockyard or event I'm really hyped for (probably not the upcoming hizen one, I'll go for yahagi and tachibana but that's likely where I'll stop) when I go buy some premium time and I end up getting one of those 30day+doubloon packages and buy up something more expensive that I know I'd enjoy (Like the scharnhorst or atlanta)

 

As it is...

Primarily looking for T6/7 ships so I can use them on operations, and I'll probably be playing them in co-op for the foreseeable future (taking randoms slowly, trying to go from orange to yellow in one national line before hopping into deep red in multiple new ones).

The options seem to be (T6/7s I can afford): 

DDs: Anshan, Aigle, Blyskawica, (could get for coal, so no) Gallant, Monaghan, Sims

Cruisers: Molotov, Duca D'aosta, Perth

 

I think the most popular among these is Sims? Or at least I see more Sims around than any of the other ones and I have many memories of the frustration trying to shoot at Sims on the enemy team and them dodging around. I think she's a pretty popular and effective premium DD for her tier? I don't know. I don't really see any of the others that frequently, nor have any strong impressions about them. I suppose I'm also slightly more inclined towards cruisers over DDs for multi-operation versatility (DDs just seem to be more janky to play on certain ops like on killer whale as you wait for your teammates to kill the forts), but I'm not anti-DD, I absolutely love playing fubuki and T-61 on aegis more than any other ships, but you can take a cruiser into any op and have a good time in a pub, while DDs can be kinda temperamental based on factors outside of your control, also I don't really know what (if anything) DDs are supposed to do on Narai, I honestly don't see that many DDs in pubs, and the ones I do, seem to die early or are in bottom half of xp chart at the end. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just haven't seen it, or seen it often enough to notice it, while on the other hand on like Newport or Aegis there are pretty straightforward DD strategies that you can see different people executing across multiple games that are consistently effective (assuming they fully execute, and don't die mid-way through) as they MVP the xp chart and get torpedomans.

20201024171743_1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[WOLF3]
Members
384 posts
10,664 battles

If you like DD's the Z-39 at tier 7 looks decent. The t-61 at tier 6 is also very good. Fast reloading torps, hydro, and high velocity guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,301
[SPTR]
Members
27,186 posts
16,907 battles

Good prem ships for operations

Narai: Nelson, Boise and Atlanta

Every other tier 6 operation: every tier 6 french prem ship, any prem cruiser will do especially those with fast firing guns and BBs that moves quick like PEF.

I would get the Perth or Molotov if i was you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
277
[PVE]
Members
1,085 posts
9,369 battles

Sims is great in Coop and is a good commander trainer for the US DD line. Monaghan is good as well and can play more ops than Sims can.

I would not get Perth because there is very little in it's branch vso you won't get commander training out of it, it us fun though.

I would not get Molotov because Lazo is a much better premium.

Duca is just different, not my cup of tea and I never tried it.

Gallant is okay, but Cossack is better.

None of these are A list competitive for Randoms, but they can do just fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
189
[WW2]
Members
467 posts
7,965 battles

Z-39 is good. It got me to rank 4 last tier 7 ranked season. Perth is ok but I prefer huanghe. It's got better concelment and same smoke. You do get 1 less turret but reload is slightly better. I got my 1st kracken in agile so there is that too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
955
[PISD]
Members
1,472 posts
5,706 battles

I would hold to it and get a perma camo for your tier 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
994
[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles
48 minutes ago, Skipper30087 said:

I've never really bought a premium ship before, my only ones were all freebies (charleston, smith, dreadnought), luck (T-61 from a tyl/sc), or spee from the odin dockyard. So I've never really had this degree of choice. I am also fully open to the idea of holding off on a purchase for now, because I know I'm *almost* within purchasing range of a few more ships that also seem to loosely fit my desired criteria on paper e.g. I would need only 60 more doubloons to afford the dunkerque, and 60 doubloons should be a fairly simple eventuality with daily logins/etc miscellaneous sources.

If you are interested in a tier VI BB, you can’t go wrong with Warspite. She has decent speed and armor combined with accurate 381 mm guns that can overmatch tier VI and VII battleships (26mm). Arizona and WV’41 are also considered strong picks, although I do not own either (I have played Arizona as a free rental, though). If you are seriously considering Dunkerque, be advised that her younger sister Strasbourg (tier VII) will be available as a campaign reward in the New Year’s patch, so you might want to hold off.

48 minutes ago, Skipper30087 said:

DDs: Anshan, Aigle, Blyskawica, (could get for coal, so no) Gallant, Monaghan, Sims

 Cruisers: Molotov, Duca D'aosta, Perth

Molotov is a solid pick for Ops. Tier IX guns do silly things to the lightly armored tier IV and V ships you frequently encounter. Keep in mind though that Kirov (tier V) is now available for coal, and she is very similar, so you it might be a better value to spend your doubloons on something else.

At tier VII, Scharnhorst is still the queen of Narai, but the recent cruiser armor changes that accompanied the IFHE rework hit her hard. The proliferation of 25mm armor on mid tier cruisers removed a lot of her overmatch potential in Random battles. She’s still quite good, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[TXGUN]
Beta Testers
3,219 posts
26,859 battles
1 hour ago, Skipper30087 said:

So over time through tyl/sc/daily logins accumulation, and a very cool TWO 1k doubloon from daily containers in the past month or so with the second being today, I am the proud owner of 4065 doubloons (weird number because of accidental clicking too fast and paying to unmount modules, or respeccing captains at various times), which taking into account the coupon gives me an effective purchasing power of 5420 doubloons.

And before anyone suggests using it for a month of premium time; I'd rather not. I'm more than happy to just buy a month of premium time if there's a dockyard or something going on that I'm particularly interested in grinding, and it was nice to randomly hit this doubloon threshold unexpectedly, and I'd rather "celebrate" with something fancy like a new ship than more economical as just hanging on to it to exchange for premium later.

I've never really bought a premium ship before, my only ones were all freebies (charleston, smith, dreadnought), luck (T-61 from a tyl/sc), or spee from the odin dockyard. So I've never really had this degree of choice. I am also fully open to the idea of holding off on a purchase for now, because I know I'm *almost* within purchasing range of a few more ships that also seem to loosely fit my desired criteria on paper e.g. I would need only 60 more doubloons to afford the dunkerque, and 60 doubloons should be a fairly simple eventuality with daily logins/etc miscellaneous sources.

On the other hand; if there really isn't anything here actually worthwhile as far as what I'm looking for, I would like to know that too and not rush some random purchase purely for the sake of making one. I'm perfectly fine with the scenario that some time from now, there's some dockyard or event I'm really hyped for (probably not the upcoming hizen one, I'll go for yahagi and tachibana but that's likely where I'll stop) when I go buy some premium time and I end up getting one of those 30day+doubloon packages and buy up something more expensive that I know I'd enjoy (Like the scharnhorst or atlanta)

 

As it is...

Primarily looking for T6/7 ships so I can use them on operations, and I'll probably be playing them in co-op for the foreseeable future (taking randoms slowly, trying to go from orange to yellow in one national line before hopping into deep red in multiple new ones).

The options seem to be (T6/7s I can afford): 

DDs: Anshan, Aigle, Blyskawica, (could get for coal, so no) Gallant, Monaghan, Sims

Cruisers: Molotov, Duca D'aosta, Perth

 

I think the most popular among these is Sims? Or at least I see more Sims around than any of the other ones and I have many memories of the frustration trying to shoot at Sims on the enemy team and them dodging around. I think she's a pretty popular and effective premium DD for her tier? I don't know. I don't really see any of the others that frequently, nor have any strong impressions about them. I suppose I'm also slightly more inclined towards cruisers over DDs for multi-operation versatility (DDs just seem to be more janky to play on certain ops like on killer whale as you wait for your teammates to kill the forts), but I'm not anti-DD, I absolutely love playing fubuki and T-61 on aegis more than any other ships, but you can take a cruiser into any op and have a good time in a pub, while DDs can be kinda temperamental based on factors outside of your control, also I don't really know what (if anything) DDs are supposed to do on Narai, I honestly don't see that many DDs in pubs, and the ones I do, seem to die early or are in bottom half of xp chart at the end. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just haven't seen it, or seen it often enough to notice it, while on the other hand on like Newport or Aegis there are pretty straightforward DD strategies that you can see different people executing across multiple games that are consistently effective (assuming they fully execute, and don't die mid-way through) as they MVP the xp chart and get torpedomans.

20201024171743_1.jpg

Hey Shipper30087 I hope you don't mind . I sent you gifted Items . This should please and help you out ...........coming from a player with 387 ships ..............

  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,251
[RLGN]
Members
14,871 posts
26,411 battles
17 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Molotov is a solid pick for Ops. Tier IX guns do silly things to the lightly armored tier IV and V ships you frequently encounter.

Except my experience is the bots love to focus premium ships, and don’t give a damn about the range.

T6? Warspite or Perth. Warspite because reasons mentioned above, and Perth because it’s a good package that isn’t as dependent on outside spotting as some ships that use smoke.

Gallant isn’t bad per se; but it requires a fine touch to do well. It’s a weird ship that’s almost specialized for Dynamo, the Op where it originally came out, but which hasn’t came back for a long time.

Molotov is squish personified. Whatever ‘good’ that comes from T9 guns on a T6 hull, I don’t feel compensates for a ridiculously long reload, and a ship that can get citadel’d by a cross-eye’d seagull taking its morning constitutional. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
994
[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Except my experience is the bots love to focus premium ships, and don’t give a damn about the range.

Never observed this myself. Bots are, however, programmed to target the closest, weakest ship in general.

6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Molotov is squish personified. Whatever ‘good’ that comes from T9 guns on a T6 hull, I don’t feel compensates for a ridiculously long reload, and a ship that can get citadel’d by a cross-eye’d seagull taking its morning constitutional. 

The reload is 12.5s, which is comparable to heavy cruisers at tier VI. Aoba has 11s reload on 6 guns, Pensacola 15s with ten guns, and Devonshire 14s with 8 guns. Given the penetration of her guns, this is perfectly reasonable. Molotov is indeed incredibly squishy, and it’s a big problem in randoms. In Ops, though, where bots are scripted, you frequently encounter lower tier opponents, and tier VII battleships are nonexistent (and tier VI BBs are rare), it is much more manageable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[ICO]
Members
59 posts
1,682 battles
1 minute ago, Tachnechdorus said:

Hey Shipper30087 I hope you don't mind . I sent you gifted Items . This should please and help you out ...........coming from a player with 387 ships ..............

I have to say when I got a bunch of rapid succession no-reply email notifications on my phone (as one does, various bill reminders etc...), I was a little surprised with the "You have a gift!" subjectline as that was unusual.

This was a totally unexpected, and absolutely extravagant gift, and I'll say it again, I am awed and floored by this generosity, and am looking forward taking to the high seas in my shiny new ships and flags!

thank-you-youre-5b6240.jpg

1 hour ago, Drifter_X said:

If you like DD's the Z-39 at tier 7 looks decent. The t-61 at tier 6 is also very good. Fast reloading torps, hydro, and high velocity guns.

I'll be trying that Z-39 out very soon thanks to a magnanimous benefactor :)

I've been loving the T-61 since I got it, the smoke/hydro combo is just fantastic

1 hour ago, Rolkatsuki said:

Narai: Nelson, Boise and Atlanta

I would get the Perth or Molotov if i was you.

Nelson is my first fxp target purchase, as soon as Narai comes back on rotation I should be able to do a few camo/full flag runs and get her. Probably doable sooner on other ops, but I'd rather wait for narai to spend less runs doing it.

I'll also be trying that Boise out very soon for the reasons mentioned before :)

I'm watching the continuing Perth/Molotov discussion in the thread as there seem to be varying opinions on them

1 hour ago, MasterDiggs said:

 

 

That's a very good point about the trainer potential that I failed to consider at all. That certainly changes the weighting of some of these. Thank you.

 

1 hour ago, Darmokattenagra said:

Perth is ok but I prefer huanghe. It's got better concelment and same smoke. You do get 1 less turret but reload is slightly better. I got my 1st kracken in agile so there is that too. 

Interesting, I never really considered huanghe that much but I guess I'll read up a bit more on it

1 hour ago, Y_Nagato said:

I would hold to it and get a perma camo for your tier 10.

Not a bad idea, but I'm more into trying out more mid tier ships and play around and have fun in co-op at the moment than doing a lot of Randoms. I don't think I've touched my Hipper or Roon at all in the past few weeks just doing the dockyard and directive BB stuff in co-op in assorted T5-7s and having a really good time overall, I suppose I'll be getting my first T10 fairly soon (and possibly a second with coal), with the snowflake/sc thing coming up I should probably get hindenburg so I can do that, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be wanting to play her a lot vs starting to play some other class or national line in pvp (with german cruisers being my first). 

 

1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

If you are interested in a tier VI BB, you can’t go wrong with Warspite. She has decent speed and armor combined with accurate 381 mm guns that can overmatch tier VI and VII battleships (26mm). Arizona and WV’41 are also considered strong picks, although I do not own either (I have played Arizona as a free rental, though). If you are seriously considering Dunkerque, be advised that her younger sister Strasbourg (tier VII) will be available as a campaign reward in the New Year’s patch, so you might want to hold off.

Molotov is a solid pick for Ops. Tier IX guns do silly things to the lightly armored tier IV and V ships you frequently encounter. Keep in mind though that Kirov (tier V) is now available for coal, and she is very similar, so you it might be a better value to spend your doubloons on something else.

At tier VII, Scharnhorst is still the queen of Narai, but the recent cruiser armor changes that accompanied the IFHE rework hit her hard. The proliferation of 25mm armor on mid tier cruisers removed a lot of her overmatch potential in Random battles. She’s still quite good, though.

Dumb story, I actually took a ~6 month break from this game and didn't know about the returning player Warspite code stuff and only found out about it a day or two after returning from the hiatus and starting to read up on the forums (here and elsewhere) to try learn more about the game. I know about the Strasbourg and am absolutely looking forward to getting that. 

Similarly with Scharnhorst, I got her as a free rental randomly at some point, and at that point I wasn't playing BBs much at all, like maybe I had the Nassau, maybe not. much later, I had been playing the german BBs more, then I unlocked the gneisenau, and absolutely love it, and then realize I had the premium version and just did 2 co-op battles in it and thought absolutely nothing of it "back then".

I'm continuing to watch what people are saying about the molotov and weighing the pros/cons stated, will probably check to see if there's a good video about it.

I thought about getting the Kirov when I first passed that ~50k coal threshold, but at the time I didn't play russians much or at all and now I have about 150k coal, and am aiming to get probably some T9 or 10 as first coal ship (thinking pommern because I'm in love with the torpedo BB gneisenau style, or just some T10 cruiser for snowflake purposes, and maybe I'll play it competitively in the future after learning the line or the ship itself; in all likelihood when I hit that coal threshold I will post a thread asking for advice pros/cons), maybe second and third coal ships might be the 50k-ish ones instead of saving up the ~170kish for another T9/10.

1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

good package that isn’t as dependent on outside spotting as some ships that use smoke.

Could you elaborate on this? I've never played a "smoke cruiser", I've sailed into friendly smoke AS a cruiser, I've used smoke as a DD and used hydro to see other DDs coming up on me and shot/torpedoed them to death before they could detect me, but in my limited knowledge/experience, sitting in smoke as cruiser and firing at anyone you could spot with only your own hydro, you'd be detected because of firing in smoke gunbloom range. I thought most of the smoke cruisers are sitting in smoke at long range and shooting targets spotted by teammates, but like I said, I'm not pretending to be knowledgeable on this, I don't play smoke cruisers, sometimes I just observe them doing certain things and occasionally interact with them. How does perth mitigate this or is there something more fundamental about that whole interaction that I'm missing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,449
[WPORT]
Members
6,597 posts
11,605 battles
2 hours ago, Skipper30087 said:

Seeking advice for my first premium ship purchase

By Skipper30087,

"...  As it is...

Primarily looking for T6/7 ships so I can use them on operations, and I'll probably be playing them in co-op for the foreseeable future (taking randoms slowly, trying to go from orange to yellow in one national line before hopping into deep red in multiple new ones).

The options seem to be (T6/7s I can afford): 

DDs: Anshan, Aigle, Blyskawica, (could get for coal, so no) Gallant, Monaghan, Sims

Cruisers: Molotov, Duca D'aosta, Perth  ..."

I've had a lot of fun in Scenario Operations with each of the following:

Mutsu, Ark Royal, Dunkerque, Erich Loewenhardt, Aigle. 

Of these, Aigle was fun in Operation Dynamo, which is now on hiatus, and Aigle doesn't have repair capability for endurance. 
DD's in operations require seriously good DD play.
Plus, as you mentioned, you can exchange coal for her, so no need to spend doubloons.

Atlanta is a tin-can meme-bote.  She's fun, but I don't think she has the endurance needed for operations.

Operations need ships that can use repair-party consumable, so they can stay in the battle and continue dishing out damage and achieving objectives.
Several tech-tree ships meet the above qualifications, too.

Tier-7 Scharnhorst is an excellent performer.  Gneisenau is her closely performing tech-tree equivalent.

The London is a competent British Cruiser that is premium and a versatile 'bote, with access to a repair-party among other useful consumables.  A good value for the money.


The Perth, that you mentioned, can't repair.  This under-equips the 'bote for endurance in operations.
Same is true for Duca D'Aosta.  (I like this 'bote, actually.)
This doesn't mean the 'botes won't be fun or unable to complete an operation.  It's just a value-for-your-money consideration.

And, while it is only Tier-2, Tachibana-Lima is a lot of fun for the money.

Good luck, and have fun.  :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
854 posts
1,261 battles

Alright, Sims is much liked because of her similarity to the Benson at tier 8. It seems pretty regular for the American destroyers, which makes it a solid ship. Just don't use the torpedoes as your main weaponry. Plus her DFAA can make a CV player cringe, so CV haters can't whine about the Sims being unusable(and the Sims was sunk by air attack in the Battle of the Coral Sea so dying to aircraft is historically accurate anyways). 

On the other hand, I loved Gallant, it's "bad" AA feels like CIWS when under air attack. It has the ability to launch one torp at a time. It's quite speedy and the AP is very effective against light cruisers. Just be mindful of the bad firing arcs & traverse speed of the main weapon systems. Gallant even helped me devise a new tactic on the Ring map.

Edited by black_hull4
glaring typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,251
[RLGN]
Members
14,871 posts
26,411 battles
26 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Never observed this myself. Bots are, however, programmed to target the closest, weakest ship in general.

As an example on Aegis; running away SOUTH from the second group of bots that appear in the NW in a WeeVee ‘41. They fired at me continuously, and I don’t recall them pay much attention to the other (much closer) players, until after I was dead.

Using Belfast on Narai; the (Phoenix?) with the Lex, defeats whoever went after the Lex, crosses the entire map, ignoring everyone fighting in the port, and comes up behind me in the SE where I was after whacking the transports.

I seen premiums focused to many times, in Ops and Co-op, to ever believe they’re  not high on whatever decision tree exists for WG’s priority targeting.

26 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

The reload is 12.5s, which is comparable to heavy cruisers at tier VI. Aoba has 11s reload on 6 guns, Pensacola 15s with ten guns, and Devonshire 14s with 8 guns. Given the penetration of her guns, this is perfectly reasonable. Molotov is indeed incredibly squishy, and it’s a big problem in randoms. In Ops, though, where bots are scripted, you frequently encounter lower tier opponents, and tier VII battleships are nonexistent (and tier VI BBs are rare), it is much more manageable.

Budyonny’s guns reload in roughly 8 seconds, which is who I normally compare it to.

I have little faith is ships with supposedly ‘great’ pen values; in my experience they more often than not fail to deliver on their hype, (RN CLs, Musashi, Molotov,) and are just as likely, if not more likely, to deliver up overpens and ricochets, as they are useful damage.

  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,251
[RLGN]
Members
14,871 posts
26,411 battles
8 minutes ago, Skipper30087 said:

Could you elaborate on this? I've never played a "smoke cruiser", I've sailed into friendly smoke AS a cruiser, I've used smoke as a DD and used hydro to see other DDs coming up on me and shot/torpedoed them to death before they could detect me, but in my limited knowledge/experience, sitting in smoke as cruiser and firing at anyone you could spot with only your own hydro, you'd be detected because of firing in smoke gunbloom range. I thought most of the smoke cruisers are sitting in smoke at long range and shooting targets spotted by teammates, but like I said, I'm not pretending to be knowledgeable on this, I don't play smoke cruisers, sometimes I just observe them doing certain things and occasionally interact with them. How does perth mitigate this or is there something more fundamental about that whole interaction that I'm missing? 

Perth has crawling smoke, which can let her move and shoot at 1/4 speed. She also has a spotting plane and can thus spot for herself if need be, as well as hydro; which can be used to spot destroyers or incoming torps.

Perth can smoke shoot, but of course has to do so from further out from where a DD might.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
325
[WOLF7]
Members
459 posts

If you are looking for a premium T6 ops boat, my jack of all trades choice would be Graf Spee. She's not the best at any one op, but can work in any of them. She has hard-hitting guns, torps, and a heal. My favorite op to use her in is Killer Whale, but I have found that she can play a meaningful part in any T6 op. YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
994
[WOLFC]
Members
1,990 posts
10,430 battles
9 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Budyonny’s guns reload in roughly 8 seconds, which is who I normally compare it to.

I have little faith is ships with supposedly ‘great’ pen values; in my experience they more often than not fail to deliver on their hype, (RN CLs, Musashi, Molotov,) and are just as likely, if not more likely, to deliver up overpens and ricochets, as they are useful damage.

Budyonny has very middle-of-the-road reload for a CL, but she has fast-firing 152mm guns.

You can examine the AP performance of various ships at the link below, and Molotov has higher pen than most CAs at tier VI (only Pensacola at close range has better penetration). Molotov literally has the same shells as Dmitri Donskoi at tier IX, and they are very powerful if you are good with your ammo selection. I also run EL on the Soviet CA captain I run on Molotov, which helps immensely.

https://wowsft.com/arty

Also, RN CLs don’t have particularly great penetration values. What they do have is a combination of improved auto bounce angles and short fuses, which increases their effectiveness against angled and lightly armored targets. Higher tier RN CL AP has a chance to ricochet from 60-75 degrees, vs the 45-60 degrees of standard AP (at higher angles the shells always ricochet, at lower angles they will never ricochet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[ICO]
Members
59 posts
1,682 battles
18 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've had a lot of fun in Scenario Operations with each of the following:

Mutsu, Ark Royal, Dunkerque, Erich Loewenhardt, Aigle. 

Of these, Aigle was fun in Operation Dynamo, which is now on hiatus, and Aigle doesn't have repair capability for endurance. 
DD's in operations require seriously good DD play.
Plus, as you mentioned, you can exchange coal for her, so no need to spend doubloons.

Atlanta is a tin-can meme-bote.  She's fun, but I don't think she has the endurance needed for operations.

Operations need ships that can use repair-party consumable, so they can stay in the battle and continue dishing out damage and achieving objectives.
Several tech-tree ships meet the above qualifications, too.

Tier-7 Scharnhorst is an excellent performer.  Gneisenau is her closely performing tech-tree equivalent.

The London is a competent British Cruiser that is premium and a versatile 'bote, with access to a repair-party among other useful consumables.  A good value for the money.


The Perth, that you mentioned, can't repair.  This under-equips the 'bote for endurance in operations.
Same is true for Duca D'Aosta.  (I like this 'bote, actually.)
This doesn't mean the 'botes won't be fun or unable to complete an operation.  It's just a value-for-your-money consideration.

And, while it is only Tier-2, Tachibana-Lima is a lot of fun for the money.

Good luck, and have fun.  :-)

Thanks for the detailed breakdown! 

I actually haven't tried much CV play yet but would like to someday for operations; as it is I only have the hosho, and have been having a pretty poor time with getting a handle on it in co-op and am hesitant to actually take it into randoms, or grind out (or fxp to) T6. The fact that it doesn't contribute to all the T5 minimum missions/directives also doesn't motivate me to play it as much as other random T5/+ ships and lines I exclusive play co-op in. 

Also with recently being gifted the Boise, I think her characteristics match a lot of what I was hyped about trying the atlanta out for, and she has a heal to boot, so Atlanta has moved down in priority compared to my initial post (scharnhorst is now #1 for the "next time I get 30day prem/dubloon package for some event" option). 

18 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

Alright, Sims is much liked because of her similarity to the Benson at tier 8. It seems pretty regular for the American destroyers, which makes it a solid ship. Just don't use the torpedoes as your main weaponry. Plus her DFAA can make a CV player cringe, so CV haters can't whine about the Sims being unusable(and the Sims was sunk by air attack in the Battle of the Coral Sea so dying to aircraft is historically accurate anyways). 

On the other hand, I loved Gallant, it's "bad" AA feels like CIWS when under air attack. It has the ability to launch one torp at a time. It's quite speedy and the AP is very effective against light cruisers. Just be mindful of the bad firing arcs & traverse speed of the main weapon systems. Gallant even helped me devise a new tactic on the Ring map.

Ah that sounds nice, I always found the Mutsuki pretty amusing with its surprisingly powerful AA package facing off against T8 CVs in asymmetric, and having that novelty at a higher tier would be pretty neat. The single torpedo thing is pretty neat, I think the only ship I've ever played that had that was the smith and I enjoyed that immensely and am often annoyed at having "wasted" a reload on torpedoing another DD when it just took like 1 torp to sink them and then some other juicy full hp target pops up a few seconds later and I have no salvo or one less to use against them.

18 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Perth has crawling smoke, which can let her move and shoot at 1/4 speed. She also has a spotting plane and can thus spot for herself if need be, as well as hydro; which can be used to spot destroyers or incoming torps.

Perth can smoke shoot, but of course has to do so from further out from where a DD might.

I see! Thank you for explaining. Dumb as it may sound, I never really thought of using the spotting plane for spotting, only ever used it for long range fire, although strangely I have used fighters (and still occasionally do) to spot people right around corners/islands in extreme close quarters torp/countertorp brawls but somehow never thought of using spotting planes for what's literally in their name. Makes a lot of sense now that you've mentioned it. Thanks!

 

18 hours ago, HamAndCheez said:

If you are looking for a premium T6 ops boat, my jack of all trades choice would be Graf Spee. She's not the best at any one op, but can work in any of them. She has hard-hitting guns, torps, and a heal. My favorite op to use her in is Killer Whale, but I have found that she can play a meaningful part in any T6 op. YMMV

Got her, and agree for the most part; I don't like her on Newport, I'm sure some people can make her work, but I can't; so this is more of my problem, but yeah any other op, she's very viable and fun to play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[PHD]
Members
185 posts
12,720 battles
20 hours ago, Tachnechdorus said:

Hey Shipper30087 I hope you don't mind . I sent you gifted Items . This should please and help you out ...........coming from a player with 387 ships ..............

Very nice. Your generosity more than makes up for the last 10 [deleted] players I've ran into in battle - on my own team playing co-op.

I don't really have much to add other than I like Atlanta because IMHO it is most unlike any other US tech tree cruiser.

But I'm actually holding out for Atlanta's sister ship Flint if for no other reason than my dad was born and raised in the city it was named for.

And rumor has it Flint will be available for coal in the (not too?) distant future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
795
[CO-OP]
Members
2,000 posts
25,983 battles
  • For t6 destroyers: Monaghan (torpedo reload boost,) Gallant (single fire torps.)
  • For t7 destroyers: Sims
  • For t6 cruisers: Graf Spee (although tech tree t6s may do better for ops.)
  • For t7 cruisers: Munchen (fast-firing guns+1/4 HE pen,)  Boise (heal) 
  • For t 6 battleships: Dunkerque (firepower is mounted in the bow, does well in ops.)
  • For t7 battleships: Scharnhorst 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
803
[WOLF9]
Members
4,642 posts

  Off of your list,  I'd pick  Sims or Perth.    Perth is just an Aussie Leander, but with some fun tricks.   Makes it interesting to play.

  Sims is just plain fun!   I'm a lover of speedy gunboat DD's,  and Sims just fit my playstyle like a glove.   And if they ever bring Dynamo back, Sims was the ship to have.

  It has Benson's  5" guns vs Mahan's- which is where a lot of your AA firepower is coming from.  They also turn faster, and I found them easier to use targeting the S-boats.   I'd routinely finish with absurd # of plane kills, and rarely ate any air dropped torps or bombs because of it.

  I also have Z-39, and really like it!   It's one of my ol' reliables for doing DD missions, as it just seems to be able to do anything I ask of it.  A well rounded ship.  (the others are Hill, Mahan, Aigle- and Le Terrible, because who doesn't want a gunboat that can go THAT fast? lol)

  Oh, and not necessarily relevant to this thread,  but if you like US DD's, and see it up for sale,  Hill is actually a pretty good buy.    It's essentially a mini Sims at tier 5, with Mahan's torpedo tube arrangement, and the standard USN DD torps (instead of Sim's sea mines).   Very good AA for a tier 5 DD, too.   Most importantly, it's really fun to play- and cheap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[WOLF1]
Members
20 posts
3,251 battles

sims is fun for narai and co ops for sure she can deal a lot of damage if handled right and especially with a skilled cpt, but perth is my go to ops ship she usually racks up high points and HE spams pretty decent, more fun than leander imo and worth the $ you just have to know how to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
17 posts
2,491 battles

Scharnhorst is great for Narai, I never seem to do poorly with it. Gneisenau basically trades the 9 11 inch guns for 6 15s and better secondaries 

I’ve had good luck with De Grasse in the tier vi ops. London is also a solid performer

For tech tree ships Leander is a monster in ops, as is Fiji

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
269
[-BCO-]
Members
777 posts
1,669 battles

Well it is important what kind of battles you intend to play.If you like ops then there are up above some solid suggestions, which will do. Also important if you are f2p they will make you da moneyz. I mean credits.With flags, half a mil runs are not uncommon.

Also important what kind of ships (in terms of classes) you like to play and also what lines. Because it can help with capt training.I pretty much levelled up MANY of my capt in ops. I levelled up my french capt to all have RPF with the De Grasse.

For example I use Nelsol exclusively for Nara(  except with that ranked season..although SinOP was a better pick) and makes da moneyz..

 

So it would be helpful to know what ships and what lines you like to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
403 posts
16,086 battles

I'm a dd main but will use any class in ops or coop. I don't see any T6 ships dbl premiums that jump off the page for me right now.  I do just as well in the tech tree. 

Scharnhorst is a very very good ship for coop or Narai.

I have Atlanta, Indy and Lazo, they all require different play, do them wrong and you suffer. All are 7s. Atlanta is more fun than the others due to reload. bots will target you and it is squishy. Before the IFHE change my biggest games in Narai came from Atlanta. I still have very good games but it is a ship you want to get to specific spots. 

I have all the dds. In coop fast reloading torps is king. get 3-5 km off the path you expect, smoke up, Torp when you get a perfect broadside aim. A fast reload can get you a second  or even 3rd ship

In Narai, all the dds can do well depending on the player. I find Leningrad does guite well due to its speed. It can reposition such as rush from transports to the cv (solo on cv is a [edited])  or rush the Missouri (most dds can do that yet few players do the most sure way). It takes a bit to learn it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×