You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
weiwaynezhang

how does farming potential damage help you win?

30 comments in this topic

[2020]
Members
109 posts
2,847 battles

Just curious why this is an thing to help team win?

have to do it in random to farm enough each game. This probably the least relevant to winning 

[TBW]
Members
10,561 posts
18,060 battles
18 minutes ago, weiwaynezhang said:

have to do it in random to farm enough each game. This probably the least relevant to winning 

To tell you the truth farming damage is kind of one of the jobs of BBs in this game or rather tanking damage. Dodging shells in any type of ship helps because they are shells that are fired at you and not another team mate, resulting in wasted shots by the opposing team. BBs that stay back and take no damage are generally a deficit to the team. I am not saying you should charge in and get concentrated on and die early. DDs and cruisers that dodge shells are an asset too. If you are getting a lot of potential damage, your team has that much more chance to take advantage of the fact that they aren't getting shot at (as much).

Players should and do, get rewarded for it.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 6

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,459 posts
13,589 battles

In certain instances I might draw fire from an enemy that might deal critical damage or kill an ally in an effort to save their ship.  Especially in a competitive mode like KOTS or clan battles.

Tanking just to tank is not good.  Winning is about dealing more meaningful damage than you take, preferably as much as possible.  Even in an iron curtain comp low HP ships will be supported by healthy ship pushing in the enemy's face trying to force them to switch their focus to the healthy ship so the low HP ship can repair and recover a bit.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
2,501 posts
6,669 battles
1 hour ago, weiwaynezhang said:

As the others said .  Its about keeping damage off of your allies .   For example as a gunboat DD I will often try and attract attention away from another ship in trouble.    It works in general too.  If I can dogde 8-10 volleys of fire at range  through dodging then hey that s maybe  10 volleys less that  some else needs to deal with.   Doing this successfully a few times in a row can really help the team out.  

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Members
222 posts
9,214 battles

Any salvo that you dodge isn't one that hits your vulnerable teammates.

• Cool 1

Members
659 posts
2 hours ago, weiwaynezhang said:

Its helps you win because of the team, stuff, and, you know, the thing. Come on, man!

• Funny 5

[NDA]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,371 posts
12,783 battles

It helps to rotate damage among the team. If a team mate is very low and you are full HP try to put yourself in between them and the enemy and draw their fire. The more guns and ships alive greatly improve the odds of you winning.

[USCC2]
Members
6,165 posts

I look at the style of play that a ship gives me. I don't look at the mission only.

If we look at one ship type, BB:

So for instance 'potential damage a mission where I would use a German BB (e.g. Pommern). I don't change the way I play to achieve a mission - I still play to win.

Secondary hits - Mass

Primary Gun Hits - JB

I think it is more about understanding the way a ship 'can' perform.  If you understand how ships play - then that must help you do better for your team/win? Remember during the event the enemy will probably also be trying to achieve a mission.

My approach is never to 'focus' on the mission - I focus on the win - I will just pick the ship that will also benefit me in completing the mission too. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts
4 hours ago, weiwaynezhang said:

If the enemy team is shooting at you and missing then they are not shooting at your teammates and hitting.

• Cool 1

Members
1,797 posts
5,635 battles

Yeah...this came pretty naturally when sailing BB.  As was stated...if you're positioned well and influencing the match, the reds WILL shoot at you.

It was substantially more challenging in a cruiser.  If that's the grind your on.  For that, I used Hindenburg.  Obviously, all these tasks are HEAVILY biased towards sailing Tier 10 ships.  Hindy is certainly the tankiest cruiser I have and when you're making the guns go bang every 8 seconds or less from ~14 km or so, people WILL shoot at you.  It's the not dying part that gets tricky.

Beta Testers
948 posts
3,958 battles

In classic MMOs and RPGs it is called tanking. You make some of a set number of enemy attacks either hit you and do little/no damage or miss entirely, so weaker members of the group don't die. 

A BB or kiting cruiser that can bait multiple ships into shooting ineffectively at them effectively removes their DPM from the game. This is especially true for enemy BBs which have hard caps on the amount of damage they can put out in X minutes of engagement. Salvos wasted trying to kill a Pommern instead of your cruisers are very valuable.

Other notorious tanks are Conqueror and Nelson (because they can heal anything) and HIV (because it could dodge anything). 

[GWG]
Members
7,210 posts
13,965 battles
8 hours ago, weiwaynezhang said:

When you are in the most HATED ship in this game (Puerto Rico), it causes the Red Team to focus fire on you until you are DEAD....  no matter what the cost.

Meanwhile, your team-mates should be doing other mildly important stuff like capping, flanking, and killing off the other team... if they ever stop camping and get around to it.

So if you have the PR, mount a spotter instead of Radar, and announce your presence early on. 

Like brain-hungry zombies, they will chase you to an obscure corner of the map.  'Must kill Puerto Rico....  Must kill Puerto Rico....  Must kill Puerto Rico....'

• Haha 1

[2020]
Members
109 posts
2,847 battles
9 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

To tell you the truth farming damage is kind of one of the jobs of BBs in this game or rather tanking damage. Dodging shells in any type of ship helps because they are shells that are fired at you and not another team mate, resulting in wasted shots by the opposing team. BBs that stay back and take no damage are generally a deficit to the team. I am not saying you should charge in and get concentrated on and die early. DDs and cruisers that dodge shells are an asset too. If you are getting a lot of potential damage, your team has that much more chance to take advantage of the fact that they aren't getting shot at (as much).

Players should and do, get rewarded for it.

the task was for cruiser

[WOLFG]
Members
10,477 posts
9,789 battles
2 minutes ago, weiwaynezhang said:

the task was for cruiser

That task exists solely to get you to grind out games.  It is an effort in pain no matter how you do it.  If it is the directive 4 task, it is an or with doing 50K damage in one battle in a cruiser.

A hindy in coop will accomplish this.  Yoshino is a riskier proposition, but doable.

Members
566 posts

everybody likes you when your  farming damage that way they can sneek out from behind the island they were camping at the whole game and steal your kill when one more shot would do it  

[WOLFG]
Members
30,577 posts
9,216 battles

1 hour ago, BlackAngelCom said:

In classic MMOs and RPGs it is called tanking. You make some of a set number of enemy attacks either hit you and do little/no damage or miss entirely, so weaker members of the group don't die. 

A BB or kiting cruiser that can bait multiple ships into shooting ineffectively.....

The implied "if" in the second part is crucial.

In a classic MMO or RPG, your enemies are AI, and merely being in the right place while attacking the enemy is guaranteed to let you successfully tank.

Here, you often need to do more than just be there and shoot the enemy, as they not only have choice in targeting, but more incentive to ignore your efforts. You need to convince them to shoot you instead, as they don't abide by a specific set of rules.

TBH, the most effective tanking I see  regularly is done by AFK ships in spawn, because everyone loves easy damage and kills, and will even temporarily remove themselves from the overall battle to prosecute such targets.

IOW, the most effective tanking the average player can do would be to get within effective range, show broadside to as many enemies as possible, and simply stop moving and firing lol.

[BEA5T]
[BEA5T]
Members
446 posts
15,734 battles
9 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

In a classic MMO or RPG, your enemies are AI, and merely being in the right place while attacking the enemy is guaranteed to let you successfully tank.

Here, you often need to do more than just be there and shoot the enemy, as they not only have choice in targeting, but more incentive to ignore your efforts. You need to convince them to shoot you instead, as they don't abide by a specific set of rules.

TBH, the most effective tanking I see  regularly is done by AFK ships in spawn, because everyone loves easy damage and kills, and will even temporarily remove themselves from the overall battle to prosecute such targets.

IOW, the most effective tanking the average player can do would be to get within effective range, show broadside to as many enemies as possible, and simply stop moving and firing lol.

You know WOWS encourages it by giving directives which calls for you to receive damage.   Good gosh :Smile_facepalm:

Capturedamage.PNG

[WOLFG]
Members
30,577 posts
9,216 battles
9 minutes ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

You know WOWS encourages it by giving directives which calls for you to receive damage.   Good gosh :Smile_facepalm:

Capturedamage.PNG

What does that have to do with the effectiveness of tanking?

I mean ultimately, if you want to focus on these tasks at the expense of your gameplay, in order to complete them faster, that's up to you.

Tanking successfully and amassing potential damage are two separate things, and it takes thought and action beyond driving your ship into a group of enemies to bring them together, which was my point. 

It's certainly possible to complete these missions in the alotted time without trashing your gameplay, by doing no more than selecting an appropriate ship and playing normally, it just may take a bit longer.

Beta Testers
948 posts
3,958 battles
37 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

"Squirrel" and sidescraping have been things in World of Tanks for years. Most players do not have the knowledge and/or discipline to not shoot at bait in PvP. 

[2020]
Members
109 posts
2,847 battles
11 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

What does that have to do with the effectiveness of tanking?

I mean ultimately, if you want to focus on these tasks at the expense of your gameplay, in order to complete them faster, that's up to you.

Tanking successfully and amassing potential damage are two separate things, and it takes thought and action beyond driving your ship into a group of enemies to bring them together, which was my point. 

It's certainly possible to complete these missions in the alotted time without trashing your gameplay, by doing no more than selecting an appropriate ship and playing normally, it just may take a bit longer.

I assume you want then to shoot you but you angle or dodge to make the shot less efficient. It is not tanking for cruiser, but more about change speed and angle. of course, annoy enemy at the same time.

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,803 battles

Red spends time and reloads shooting at you, not doing damage , letting your team return fire and do damage.

How is this hard

Members
194 posts
25 battles

Drawing enemy fire by being a more tempting target then mitigating it with good use of armour or dodging is an important part of teamplay and a key task for battleships.

I'm happy enough to hop into my Kremlin to do potential damage farming missions, because I probably should be trying to do that in most matches.

A directive where asking you to farm 25 million potential in cruisers is... admittedly pretty damn weird. So I just ignored it, despite currently grinding the Italian cruiser line.

Edited by SoothingWhaleSongEU

[MUDDX]
Members
421 posts
937 battles
12 hours ago, weiwaynezhang said:

Anything you or team mates do well helps the team win. Of course the opponents screwing up the same things help also.

Potential damage is going to happen anyway and since there are mission requirements that have good rewards for X amount of it is good to practice dodging as it is aiming.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,428 posts
11,491 battles

Alone, potential damage doesn't help. But in a good teamplay setting (emphasis on both good and teamplay) a great teammate will peel damage for you while you need to repair or reposition, and keep you alive by making themselves an attractive target.