Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kingpin61

PLAN Chongqing, what HuangHe should have been

3 comments in this topic

Members
636 posts
19,884 battles

While WG's version of Huanghe is (according to them) on of the plans to reconstruct the sunked hull of the former HMS Aurora, the main plan was to completely rearm the hull with 130mm and 57mm guns. This was in the early 50s, and the planned guns were 4 twin 130mm/50 B-2LM turrets, the same type formerly mounted on the Tashkent. The AA armament was planned to be 8 twin 57mm/79 ZIF-31 guns. the engines were planned to be replaced, giving a slower speed of 30 knots. In reality, China couldn't afford this plan, nor the offered Pr. 26-bis cruiser or Pr. 68bis cruiser they wanted, so they found it more cost efficient to sell the ship. Eventually, the ship is refit with the VTE engines out of one the late 1890s patrol ship Hai Yung, and is used as a floating barrack for oil rig workers, before being scrapped sometime during the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976).

English information on this ship basically ends there (any more info would be gladly welcomed), but I have done my best to kitbash how the ship would have looked post completion in the mid 50s. While I'm not an experienced 3D modeler, i'm satisfied with how this came out.

unknown.png

As you can see, it doesn't line up perfectly with the historical fit- but I am not a 3d modeller, so i'm unable to fix the mainmast, add a rear mast, or swap out the Huanghe's AA platform for the planned crane.

image.thumb.png.2018a1741b72f4d59256e9f2b5813a0c.png

image.thumb.png.450cb3f8aecc867643e88a04530b7729.png

Essentially, all I did was remove the 152mm and 100mm turrets and barbettes from Huanghe, as well as all of the light AA, and replace them with the 130mm guns (taken off Tashkent) and 57mm twin guns (taken off of the Borodino).

This took me about 3 hours, as i suck at 3D modelling, and it took a while to remove all the vertices, so it would probably take WG even less time considering they wouldn't have to delete 2 entire ships just to put on their AA guns, lul.

Would be a solid T4 cruiser (T5 with the box o' gimmicks), or possibly a T7/8 mini Khaba with much less speed.

3D model is attached to this post, and the secretprojects thread is here --> https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/searching-for-sources-on-the-rebuild-of-chongqing-hms-aurora-by-the-plan.35096/ if you have anything to contribute to that.

Chongqing.rar

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,749 posts
15,279 battles

Vastly more interesting than the Huang He we got, which added a huge amount of top weight to an already overweight (by end of WWII) ship thanks to heavier armored 152mm turrets, and monstrous '50's 100mm guns. 

While my heart would love a proper HMS Aurora (hence the profile picture) my WOWS self would probably enjoy a low tier cruiser with 4x2 130mm.

Members
636 posts
19,884 battles
5 minutes ago, mofton said:

overweight

if Aurora was refit with soviet guns, i'd expect her 152mm turrets to have splinter protection only.... but that would make Huanghe even more miserable, so i suppose i get why WG didn't.

Anyway, that's beside the point. This refit would gain 100~ tons just from the turret swaps, although the ammunition weight and updated electronics would probably eat a fair bit of that. However, I'm not sure if the planned engines were the VTE ones - in which case they'd be heavier - or a lighter destroyer-type plant, in which case it'd likely be lighter.

until more information comes out, it's really hard to say. 

(side note: in game Huanghe weighs 7200 tons according to GM3D, whereas full load Aurora was hitting 7400 by the end of service)

Sign in to follow this