Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

Why are inappropriate names tolerated

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,601
[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,224 posts
19,387 battles

Why is this tolerated, and allowed? Please do something.

person will every say such a thing can ever be funny. 

Note: they removed all of the pictures, and changed the post name, so it's now vague and the seriousness has been lost.

@Hapa_Fodder

 

Edited by Cit_the_bed
  • Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,719
[SALVO]
Members
25,433 posts
27,377 battles

@Cit_the_bed I think that the problem may be that there may be no filters when selecting player names.  And WG seems to depend on offensive names being reporting them to customer service.  Also note that clan names and clan tags can be offensive as well.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
952
[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,045 posts
10,764 battles
28 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Why is this tolerated, and allowed?

person will every say such a thing can ever be funny. 

 

@Hapa_Fodder

 

I agree that most of the names shown are offensive, and violations of the EULA. Most of those names should be turned into numbers, if not outright deleted. 

That said, as to whether or not such things can be funny, spiritually the answer should be no, but in practice...

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,487
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,390 posts
4,198 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

@Cit_the_bed I think that the problem may be that there may be no filters when selecting player names.  And WG seems to depend on offensive names being reporting them to customer service.  Also note that clan names and clan tags can be offensive as well.

Yeah this. I think there are some filters (I don't think you can have the same IGN as a certain WWII German leader) but there are so many ways to get around them and still have an offensive name. Basically there's no automated system that's perfect, so WG has to rely on reports. Once you do report they do seem to be on top of it. So send in the reports, WG can deal with them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,904
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,976 posts
14,370 battles
30 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Why is this tolerated, and allowed? Please do something.

person will every say such a thing can ever be funny. 

 

@Hapa_Fodder

 

They are not, if you see screen names that are inappropriate, then put a ticket in with a screen shot and an explanation of why the name is not appropriate.

Also remember that the more information you put in the CS ticket the better off it will be and faster it will be actioned.

@foodprinter

-Hapa

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,350
[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles

What's hilarious as well as depressing is when someone shows up with a name like these on a photo-sharing site such as Flickr and a bunch of photos that show they're actually serious about it. Depressing because they actually went and did that thing and took or downloaded those photos; depressing again because a human being can actually be so stupid as to call themselves that and post those things and think they can get away with it; hilarious because you know what's going to happen to them next.

Flickr had a huge problem in this regard a few years back. It took a while to react, possibly because it was archiving all the stuff for the cops and doing some background digging, and then it brought the hammer down. The pedo accounts started getting whacked within hours of popping up, and then it all died right off. There's another photo site in which about half the new user accounts EVERY DAY had already been locked out for posting that garbage.

Internet anonymity leads people to say and post the stupidest things.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,601
[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,224 posts
19,387 battles

I am going to guess as the pictures were removed, the names will be addressed. I would prefer wargaming address this issue before needing to bring it to attention elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,212
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,101 posts
14,728 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

@Cit_the_bed I think that the problem may be that there may be no filters when selecting player names.  And WG seems to depend on offensive names being reporting them to customer service.  Also note that clan names and clan tags can be offensive as well.

This, while more filtering would be nice to catch the most obvious ones it comes down to people reporting them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33,574
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,687 posts
19,824 battles
11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This, while more filtering would be nice to catch the most obvious ones it comes down to people reporting them.

More filtering would also serve to invite people to circumvent the filter. Like replacing letters with numbers, porpoisely misspelling something, things like that. Filters don't help.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33,574
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,687 posts
19,824 battles
1 minute ago, 9TenSix2Eight said:

I found that @Lert name is offensive in my own opinion and i will send ticket about it :cap_win::cap_like:LOL..

@9TenSix2Eight sus

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,443
[WPORT]
Members
6,589 posts
11,600 battles
4 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Why are inappropriate names tolerated

By Cit_the_bed, 4

Why is this tolerated, and allowed? Please do something.

person will every say such a thing can ever be funny. 

 

@Hapa_Fodder

 

Be careful what you wish for.

Establishing guidelines, or even specific "banned words", is something a "referee" can work with. 
Vague language in the rules of the game could lead to all sorts of humorous shenanigans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,601
[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Members
1,224 posts
19,387 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Be careful what you wish for.

Establishing guidelines, or even specific "banned words", is something a "referee" can work with. 
Vague language in the rules of the game could lead to all sorts of humorous shenanigans.

They changed the title of my post, so the meaning was dulled.

They removed the player names I posted, so the seriousness was lost.

I cannot convey how disgusting and unacceptable the names were, as they deemed them too offensive for the forum to see.

>Be careful what you wish for.

It was not vague, but very specific, relating to sexual abuse of children and forced sexual assault. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,443
[WPORT]
Members
6,589 posts
11,600 battles
1 hour ago, Cit_the_bed said:

They changed the title of my post, so the meaning was dulled.

They removed the player names I posted, so the seriousness was lost.

I cannot convey how disgusting and unacceptable the names were, as they deemed them too offensive for the forum to see.

>Be careful what you wish for.

It was not vague, but very specific, relating to sexual abuse of children and forced sexual assault. 

Yeah, apparently I arrived too late to see you "naming".
Kind of frowned upon, as I understand it.  
We may never know what happens behind the scenes at WG/WOWs, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,212
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,101 posts
14,728 battles
7 hours ago, Lert said:

More filtering would also serve to invite people to circumvent the filter. Like replacing letters with numbers, porpoisely misspelling something, things like that. Filters don't help.

True but if the most obvious ones are not available it would at least make them work a little bit. I ran into one low life in the early days of WoWP that mixed the N word into their name. It was plainly obvious because they capitalized the letters of that word while all the other letters were lower case. I reported it as soon as the match was over but since it was Friday evening they got away with it for a few days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,411 posts
40,612 battles
11 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

True but if the most obvious ones are not available it would at least make them work a little bit. I ran into one low life in the early days of WoWP that mixed the N word into their name. It was plainly obvious because they capitalized the letters of that word while all the other letters were lower case. I reported it as soon as the match was over but since it was Friday evening they got away with it for a few days.

I agree. A super list of tongue in cheek names.

I will add to the list here of cunning linguistic names

Rod_Munchhausen

Licalottapus

Shtups_Everybody

Hairy_Kraken

IP_Freely

TP_in_Bunghole

Juan_es_Grande

Filthy_Dragon_Mudd

Yusses_Short_Urinal

Shoulder_Mounted_Willy

Helicopter_Deek

Drops_Everybody

TD_Expert

Trench_Shotgun

Hotdog_Down_hallway

Frags_da_tass

 

Idk, I want to add more clever ones, but I may get scolded by WG for it, only to be asked to add more. 

They just can't filter them all. 

Something always slips in the cracks, usually the size of a baby's arm or a loaf of 1 1/2 pound bread. Depends on the leak.

Or am I being cheeky?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33,574
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,687 posts
19,824 battles
15 minutes ago, Sethanas said:

Porpoisely misspelling ehh? :Smile_teethhappy:

Of course. Everything has to have a porpoise and a raisin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,350
[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
On 10/23/2020 at 6:11 PM, Lert said:

porpoisely misspelling something

I sea what ewe did their.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
236
[ASHIP]
Members
226 posts
12,170 battles
On 10/23/2020 at 3:53 PM, Cit_the_bed said:

Why is this tolerated, and allowed? Please do something.

person will every say such a thing can ever be funny. 

Note: they removed all of the pictures, and changed the post name, so it's now vague and the seriousness has been lost.

@Hapa_Fodder

 

In a game full of communist, genocidal symbols you dare to ask that?, It even has ships named after genocidal psychos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
[PPNA2]
Members
77 posts
11,640 battles

The big question is, what makes a name inappropriate? Depending on the person and their morality anything is subject to interpretations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×