You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Farragut: Bot-Bashing Basics.

14 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles

I ground past the Farragut a long time ago, and consequently her "good" captain moved up. So all I've got in her is a three-pointer to take her out for snowflakes and similar, and that's how she set sail in this bot-blasting, damage-farming extravaganza.

I made this vid to illustrate a particular point. Too often when I was a newbie, I'd grit my teeth in frustration at unicum how-to demonstrations because they used captains with healthy lashings of skill points I could never have dreamed of having. I would ask myself "How much of this is his skill and how much is his tools?" Well, here you see a commander who doesn't have many tools but a player who's got a whole lot more experience than he had when he actually ground this ship and who makes the bots pay for it accordingly. Maybe it might have been more true to life if I'd bought back and fitted the stock modules, so it's just like a new player would find the Farragut when they first took it out? Anyway, with that disclaimer out of the way, enjoy the fun.

• Cool 2

[RCNW6]
Members
124 posts
3,449 battles

Interesting video, I like the way you played that using your smoke screen. Although you did cut those torpedoes a bit close to that team mates bow, I'm betting you gave him/her a bit of a scare! 

Thanks for sharing!

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
7 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

Although you did cut those torpedoes a bit close to that team mates bow,

Yeah, I admitted as much in the vid and advised others not to try it.

The problem usually occurs when the ally cuts to the other side of the enemy ship, then the bot steps on the brakes (or somebody sinks it) and the torps that should have hit it sail on past its nose. Then it's a guaranteed trip to pinkville.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[RCNW6]
Members
124 posts
3,449 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, I admitted as much in the vid. At the same time, I was keeping an eye on his position and making a considered judgement on my ability to put them in front of him without hitting him.

Yep, I got that, was just giving you a hard time and imagining myself driving that other ship and having a panic moment as the "TORPEDOES DIRECT FRONT" alarm went off.  :P

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
3 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

Yep, I got that, was just giving you a hard time and imagining myself driving that other ship and having a panic moment as the "TORPEDOES DIRECT FRONT" alarm went off.  :P

Fair call. Anyone else who comes here and looks at the vid will be looking for that moment, and hopefully newer players will take it more to heart. (And yes, I have screwed up and pinked myself on quite a few occasions.)

[RCNW6]
Members
124 posts
3,449 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Fair call. Anyone else who comes here and looks at the vid will be looking for that moment, and hopefully newer players will take it more to heart. (And yes, I have screwed up and pinked myself on quite a few occasions.)

Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing your judgement or execution, you pulled that off brilliantly. If I had tried to do that my team mate would have eaten a full salvo of torpedoes and I'd be in a pink colored rowboat. 

Members
3,411 posts
40,612 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I ground past the Farragut a long time ago, and consequently her "good" captain moved up. So all I've got in her is a three-pointer to take her out for snowflakes and similar, and that's how she set sail in this bot-blasting, damage-farming extravaganza.

I made this vid to illustrate a particular point. Too often when I was a newbie, I'd grit my teeth in frustration at unicum how-to demonstrations because they used captains with healthy lashings of skill points I could never have dreamed of having. I would ask myself "How much of this is his skill and how much is his tools?" Well, here you see a commander who doesn't have many tools but a player who's got a whole lot more experience than he had when he actually ground this ship and who makes the bots pay for it accordingly. Maybe it might have been more true to life if I'd bought back and fitted the stock modules, so it's just like a new player would find the Farragut when they first took it out? Anyway, with that disclaimer out of the way, enjoy the fun.

Good video and match 👍.

There was a half boat length in the spread you laid out, a half rowboat. LOL

But nice to see you thread the needle, that cruiser did get spooked. But I don't think you would have hit him even if he didn't WASD.

And you had to just nonchalantly sail up to that cruiser and citadel him to death.  That was a bit mean.  LOL🤣

That Nagato hit was great. I always like the hits that detonate. 👍

The smoke clinic was well executed.

Yeah, after a few years, you can just drop down to low tiers and just plop that 3 pointer and throw caution to the wind.

Quite often with amazing results because you almost don't perceive the need for the added cap skills when technique can make up for it.

My favorite thing to do with these low tier US DDs is the circle the island, or ring around the rosey, with several bot BBs in pursuit. Because low tier US DDs have shorter range, I would get them to come around one side and I torp, if I miss, smoke and lay off a bit to break contact and reload, then attack again.

This is usually comical from observers' point of view and the action is so fast, it leaves you on the edge of your seat. 

The one caveat is that I once did it in Randoms a long time ago in a higher tier DD, and the two BBs were somewhat angry about it.

But my team had a good laugh. 

Islands and rudder shift are your best friends.  Smoke is that mistress of the night. And the torps are the funny way of saying: "Why, hello there. You smell nice."

Being a BB main and still play all ships only enhances my experience. It also gives me the fun perspective of doing things like that.

DD players have just as much fun as anybody. 

And you demonstrated well, that it is so entertaining

👍

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
10 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

And you had to just nonchalantly sail up to that cruiser and citadel him to death. 

Ha! No, I didn't sink that one; someone else's torpedoes arrived just after the shells hit.

11 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

And the torps are the funny way of saying: "Why, hello there. You smell nice."

Ew.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,796 posts
4,733 battles

Somebody in that game was having fun.  Looked kinda like a seal.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Somebody in that game was having fun.  Looked kinda like a seal.

My wife has dropped vague hints about a change to my branding come Christmas time. A little gift from the family that brings me more in line with my username and less in line with tasty things. (Yes, I have tried seal meat. It badly needed the chili in oil I didn't have with me at the time, and then it would have been perfect.)

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
16 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

No tentacles, please.

Family-friendly tentacles, I promise.

Members
1,093 posts
4,792 battles

Nice going Ensign. Speaking of doing nice things, I recently made a full review of the HMS Fiji. 

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

-Shrayes

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
29 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Speaking of doing nice things, I recently made a full review of the HMS Fiji. 

Braggart. :Smile-_tongue:

I liked it. It borrows a lot of Mouse's style, but you've acknowledged that openly and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm sure you'll find your own voice in time.

• Cool 1