You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Eyeless_Camper

Suggest line to grind?

19 comments in this topic

[-TAF-]
Alpha Tester
1,184 posts

So, i have run into a bit of a snag here not being sure what line to grind next.

My favorite lines so far have been Brit BBs, Brit CAs, Sec Spec French BBs (tier 8-10) and Ita CAs while i have also enjoyed Musashi, Yoshino, Mainz, Lenin and Vanguard the most when it comes to premium ships.

Other ships i have at tier 10 that i dont enjoy quite as much is Minotaur and Henri IV and i dislike the accuracy of my Bismarck.

In general i dont do well in a sitting position and prefer to actively maneuver at open sea.

Thank you for any suggestion that i get with good reasoning on why i would prob enjoy it.

--EyelessCamper

[REVY]
Members
8,104 posts
6,118 battles

French DDs.  Maximum speed plus crazy reload boosters for your high velocity guns.  This only applies tor T8 to T10 though.

[TDRB]
Members
5,154 posts
13,741 battles

I like the Russian cruisers. Fast, starts fires, reload times are good are their pros. They are thin skinned, you'll pay for getting broadside to a enemy cruiser or BB. Many see the torpedoes short range as a con. I try to get within 2.5km so the range doesn't bother me

[-TAF-]
Alpha Tester
1,184 posts

My apologies for stating i am not much of a DD or CV captain, every time i play a DD either an enemy DD or CV just come and crapon all the fun and when it comes to CVs i am just horrible at doing any sort of damage with them in general.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,078 posts
1 minute ago, Eyeless_Camper said:

My apologies for stating i am not much of a DD or CV captain, every time i play a DD either an enemy DD or CV just come and crapon all the fun and when it comes to CVs i am just horrible at doing any sort of damage with them in general.

If it were me, those would be the lines then.  I am not that great of DD or cruiser player but lately I have found that playing the things I am bad at, presents a fresh perspective and is a source of learning.

Why am I bad at these ships and what can I do to try to be better at them?  Etc.

[-TAF-]
Alpha Tester
1,184 posts
4 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I like the Russian cruisers. Fast, starts fires, reload times are good are their pros. They are thin skinned, you'll pay for getting broadside to a enemy cruiser or BB. Many see the torpedoes short range as a con. I try to get within 2.5km so the range doesn't bother me

By Russian cruisers, do you mean CA or CLs?

[REVY]
Members
8,104 posts
6,118 battles
49 minutes ago, Eyeless_Camper said:

French DDs are DD hunters.  The reload booster lets you utterly overwhelm them in the course of 15 seconds and you're always faster than other DDs.  If you like Musashi, then perhaps the IJN BB line is for you, since Yamato rests at the end of it.

[TDRB]
Members
5,154 posts
13,741 battles
5 hours ago, Eyeless_Camper said:

By Russian cruisers, do you mean CA or CLs?

I would stay with the CL line. Since the split I have not played the Tallinn enough to get the Riga. I don't care for the ship.

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
776 posts
4,908 battles

I would recommend IJN CAs and RU CLs as both of those are open water ships. Maybe also the Hindenburg, as that's basically a 203mm version of the Mainz but with more armor.

Edited by PotatoMD

[-TAF-]
Alpha Tester
1,184 posts
29 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

I would recommend IJN CAs and RU CLs as both of those are open water ships. Maybe also the Hindenburg, as that's basically a 203mm version of the Mainz but with more armor.

I have looked at RU CLs and the Nevsky look really interesting at tier 10, but you mentioning the Hinden being basically a 203mm version of Mainz with more armour? That make me quite interested in looking into it.

[1CVDV]
Members
230 posts
11,723 battles

kinda sounds like your playstyle is similar to mine.i have 19pt skipper on mogami with 155's.hate to say it but it really is my most played boat.very fun boat to play plus I collect commander points for playing.ijn ca's from t8 and up are pretty fun flanking ships,use island cover when you can.ibuki and zao have laser guns probably the best in game for cruisers.russian cruisers are good but I just cant get my high tier ones too work for me.

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
776 posts
4,908 battles
2 minutes ago, Eyeless_Camper said:

I have looked at RU CLs and the Nevsky look really interesting at tier 10, but you mentioning the Hinden being basically a 203mm version of Mainz with more armour? That make me quite interested in looking into it.

Well to be fair I have neither the Mainz nor the Hindenburg on live (I only have the Hipper, the tier 8), but from what I've seen and what little I have experienced on the public test server, the Hindenburg has a slower base reload, but you can get that down with the reload mod you get starting from tier 9 and the special captain Gunther Lutjens. Not too sure on ballistics, but I think they're the same. The torpedo armaments are also identical.

The real difference is the armor, Hindenburg has 27 and 30 mm armor in most places, making her able to bounce 16 in shells from battleships. Mainz, I believe, cannot do that.

Members
1,477 posts
17,582 battles
50 minutes ago, Eyeless_Camper said:

In the end i have gone for the German CAs, they looked interesting enough to try.

As I read through the thread I thought about suggesting the German cruisers but you beat me to it. They are glass cannons but then most cruisers are, you just have to play around that. They may not have the best guns or torps but then they aren't the worst out there either. I had fun with them and I'm sure you will also.:Smile_child:

[NG-NL]
Members
347 posts
9,882 battles
1 hour ago, Eyeless_Camper said:

In the end i have gone for the German CAs, they looked interesting enough to try.

I think you'll love them.

They are good in open water, kiting and landing shots from long range. You mentioned you like Mainz, which is basically the Hipper with smaller caliber guns like from Nürnberg. And the tier X Hindenburg is basically Hipper again.
Hindenburg is quite capable in Clan Battles. That's what I play.
Enjoy!

[-TAF-]
Alpha Tester
1,184 posts

Ya, i hated the Hipper and that made me abandon the line several times over but you guys made me consider it again by free exp until i got Roon and after half a dozen battles i like it well enough except for the 16 sec rudder shift.

[WOLFG]
Members
964 posts

My suggestion may be a little different.  With all the campaigns and directives they are putting out lately, they require you to have a fairly diverse fleet.  My suggestion would be to look at the ships you have and fill  in your fleet where you are short.  I have found that having a couple of reliable ships in every category has been very helpful.  

Members
75 posts
2,966 battles

I'd recommend the IJN BB line. Yamato is the only credit ship to overmatch most BB's and almost all CA's bow and stern. It is also one of the most accurate ships which shoot very long. 

While grinding the whole line, all ships are enjoyable and have different play styles; Izumo has been much better than it used to be. 

[SALVO]
Members
2,533 posts
6,698 battles
5 hours ago, Eyeless_Camper said:

Yeah if you liked the Mainz then the Hindenburg is a great ship to grind up too.   If you can do grab the captain named Luetjens. He is absolutely excellent for Hindenburg and will also be great on your Mainz as one of his special skills is a reload boost after 140 Main battery hits. 

Edited by eviltane