Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
digger52

who else is excited about HMAS Vampire

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

130
[TRW]
Beta Testers
184 posts
19,799 battles

Vampire 'up top' in the mid-1960s. (John Francis Collection)

HMAS Vampire.

Ive been wanting this ship in game since the first vampire was released. My wish will be granted woo hoo.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
317
[LANCE]
Members
836 posts
6,204 battles

Really looks/reads like a great ship that I’ll jump at the chance to get ... unless it’s hidden behind the RB wall and then it’ll be the ship I always wanted but will never bother getting in this lifetime :cap_old:

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
935
[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts

Like every other video game, it's all about me.
Just put a perm camo on the Daring, and now we're getting a premium Daring.
Game developers watch me closer than the government does, and every time I make a move, they screw me.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,523
[ARGSY]
Members
21,721 posts
15,757 battles
2 hours ago, John_Crace said:

I don't understand. It's been in the game for ages hasn't it?

shot-20_10.23_19_11.55-0571.thumb.jpg.52034de4b27bcb41d11182a91dbabf2f.jpg

No, this is about the 1950's-vintage Daring-class version, the one currently floating in Sydney Harbour. Hence Vampire II (though I wish they'd call it Vampire '59). 

The sole fact that she is an existing museum ship will drive the Australian playerbase into a frenzy trying to get her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,523
[ARGSY]
Members
21,721 posts
15,757 battles
1 hour ago, z9_ said:

Like every other video game, it's all about me.
Just put a perm camo on the Daring, and now we're getting a premium Daring.
Game developers watch me closer than the government does, and every time I make a move, they screw me.

The Australian version will have creeping smoke. Think "Tier 10 Haida". The hydro will be buffed and I think she's getting a speed boost as well. It's a very different ship.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
935
[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The Australian version will have creeping smoke.

I don't have a lot of faith.
The Italian creeping smoke is useless.
Duration is only long enough to get 1 shot off. Sure, the Vampire has a fast reload,
but the Italian version also requires precise distancing due to the short range guns
and long range detection when firing from smoke.
I expect more of the same with this one.

On the other hand, they might make it a steel ship, so it would be useless to me anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,055
[FORM]
Members
1,838 posts
12,227 battles

I'm definitely interested to see what resource it comes out for and how it performs. My gut says it'll be in the RB, but only time will tell. As I don't have any commonwealth ships I'm extra curious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
130
[TRW]
Beta Testers
184 posts
19,799 battles

commonwealth creeping smoke is very different to the italian. If you have played the Perth or Haida you will understand. This is a very iconic ship to us Aussies, and there are many that play on the North American server. It is not a case of " just put a camo. on a daring". I have a Daring and i'm happy this ship is coming into the game. I used to work in sydney close to circular quay and have sailed past the Vampire on many an occassion. Doesnt matter what wargamming seems to do , people see the negative sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
485
[5D2]
Members
430 posts
10,425 battles
1 hour ago, z9_ said:

I don't have a lot of faith.
The Italian creeping smoke is useless.
Duration is only long enough to get 1 shot off. Sure, the Vampire has a fast reload,
but the Italian version also requires precise distancing due to the short range guns
and long range detection when firing from smoke.
I expect more of the same with this one.

On the other hand, they might make it a steel ship, so it would be useless to me anyway.

Someone has never played Haida or known how utterly disgustingly strong she is.

 

That's fine, we'll wait for you to get wrecked by one, played by someone who understands the playstyle, and look for the "OMG THIS SHIP SO OP PLZ NERF!" post after it happens.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
485
[5D2]
Members
430 posts
10,425 battles
1 hour ago, TheArc said:

I'm definitely interested to see what resource it comes out for and how it performs. My gut says it'll be in the RB, but only time will tell. As I don't have any commonwealth ships I'm extra curious. 

She'll be a bigger Haida.  On paper, she'll be a disgusting DD hunting beast.

 

Also, Haida is stoopid fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
135
[NG-NL]
Members
346 posts
9,865 battles

Oh, interesting!

The Tier 3 Vampire is a blast. Haida is strong, and the creeping smoke on Perth is very useful. I'm excited to see this new high-tier Vampire!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,733
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,753 posts
15,303 battles

One thing I find interesting is that Vampire II has her historic Limbo ASW mortar modeled - it was a pretty big structural design change over the regular Darings. You can see the 3 barreled launched with the tubes pointed directly upward here:

image.thumb.png.a1fc917e8b737e35e32c2bf6454ae74e.png

 

In contrast Daring was fitted with the earlier and less capable Squid ASW mortar... emphasis on was.

Daring from October 2018:

j2aldSq.png

Daring more recent, just depth charges:

uhoYhsR.png

 

Could indicate that non-depth charge ASW is going to come, and potentially Vampire II would have one of the better in-game systems for it.

Edited by mofton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
935
[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts
2 hours ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

Someone has never played Haida or known how utterly disgustingly strong she is.

Wrong again my friend.
Got Haida in a random container Dec 2018.
It's a great ship in Ranked. Never played it in Random.
But it doesn't come close to playing like a Daring, which is what the dev blog says the Vampire is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
485
[5D2]
Members
430 posts
10,425 battles
57 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Wrong again my friend.
Got Haida in a random container Dec 2018.
It's a great ship in Ranked. Never played it in Random.
But it doesn't come close to playing like a Daring, which is what the dev blog says the Vampire is.

Yet if you READ the devblog, you'll realize that it's meta will be just like the Haida, not the Daring.

Comprehension is your friend.  Use it.

Edited by Dr_Drunk_AKA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,055
[FORM]
Members
1,838 posts
12,227 battles
4 hours ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

She'll be a bigger Haida.  On paper, she'll be a disgusting DD hunting beast. Also, Haida is stoopid fun.

Yup, but a lot less radar at tier 6 than at 10. I am definitely curious though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,924
[WOLFG]
Members
30,785 posts
9,354 battles
4 hours ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

She'll be a bigger Haida.  On paper, she'll be a disgusting DD hunting beast.

Lol I'm so glad I finally got all the original nations' DDs, just in time for yet more power creep!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,374
[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,679 posts
2,621 battles
4 hours ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

She'll be a bigger Haida.  On paper, she'll be a disgusting DD hunting beast.

 

Also, Haida is stoopid fun.

 

Exactly this.

 

10 minutes ago, TheArc said:

Yup, but a lot less radar at tier 6 than at 10. I am definitely curious though. 

 

Tier 7.  Which spends a lot of time in tier 8-9 matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,055
[FORM]
Members
1,838 posts
12,227 battles
1 hour ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Tier 7.  Which spends a lot of time in tier 8-9 matches.

Quite right. I was thinking of the Perth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,252
[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
16 hours ago, Bravo4zero said:

t ... unless it’s hidden behind the RB wall and then it’ll be the ship I always wanted but will never bother getting in this lifetime :cap_old:

 

8 hours ago, z9_ said:

 

On the other hand, they might make it a steel ship, so it would be useless to me anyway.

Yeah this about sizes it up.   Way too many good ships locked behind access way too many of us will never get.  Not a fan at all about how WG likes to do these things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×