You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Kansas camo, not for free.

42 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
389 posts

So got my Kansas the other day & figured I’d grind it out for the camo for free.  Uhh. No can do for free. Gonna cost 1000 dubs.  No thanks for a ship that will go to the scrap yard when I grind out the Minnesota.  But I do have to thank WG In advance for the free credits when I sell her. 

[WKY12]
Members
799 posts
12,900 battles

Yeah, I just noticed that I can't get the camo by completing the missions.

• Haha 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,932 posts

It was free, technically.  If you played enough in the previous weeks, you got extra missions over the last two weekends (the more you played the more missions you got), that gave enough to get it for free.

With those missions, I got enough tokens to get the camo without finishing the event missions.

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
1,988 posts
10,409 battles

Players were given different mission chains with different token rewards over the last two weekends based on “previous activity.” It should come as no surprise that the low-hanging fruit WG chose to dangle in front of players is just out of reach and requires some cash - it’s a business after all.

WG’s algorithm looked at your playing patterns and decided “how close do we need to allow him to get to tempt him to spend?” I’m at a point where after earning all possible tokens (directives + fully completing both weekend mission chains) I will be 1800 tokens short, so I would need to spend 2000 doubloons to get the camo. I guess WG decided I would be more likely to play more anyways and didn’t need as much incentive, or that I would be more likely to open my wallet (perhaps both). Them’s the breaks. :Smile_coin:

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,150 posts
16,121 battles

There were two "secret missions", one last weekend and one the weekend before, that gave you some tokens.  If you missed those, you will have to pay for Kansas' GE camo.  I did those two missions, completed every single mission in stages 1-3, and just enough to get Kansas in stage 4; I only had 175 tokens left.  This is without spending tokens on anything else obviously.

By "secret missions":  I logged in on Friday and saw an extra combat mission for tokens.  I don't recall seeing them say they were going to have these, hence why I call them "secret missions". :Smile_veryhappy:

[WOLFG]
Members
627 posts
13,820 battles

Didn't even try for the golden camo since I probably won't play the ship much after getting leveled up to Minnesota, even though I am actually starting to like the Kansas. Spent my tokens on those pin up girl symbols and Stars 'n Stripes camo.

[FLOTR]
Beta Testers
78 posts
20,856 battles
29 minutes ago, Volron said:

There were two "secret missions", one last weekend and one the weekend before, that gave you some tokens.  If you missed those, you will have to pay for Kansas' GE camo.  I did those two missions, completed every single mission in stages 1-3, and just enough to get Kansas in stage 4; I only had 175 tokens left.  This is without spending tokens on anything else obviously.

By "secret missions":  I logged in on Friday and saw an extra combat mission for tokens.  I don't recall seeing them say they were going to have these, hence why I call them "secret missions". :Smile_veryhappy:

There were no "secret missions", there were 2 weekend missions that were posted on the portal and the Game Center news. Weekly Combat Missions: Even More Rewardshttps://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/missions-099-weekly-2/https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/missions-099-weekly-1/. It lists the date and times for both these extra missions. They also show up in the game client under Combat Missions during both those weekends. Also it shows the total Tokens you can receive for completing all directives including the 2 weekend missions for a total 12,900 Tokens. I was able to get the perm camo and had 1500 left over to get more one use camos.

You also had to complete every task, not just complete the directives, all tasks added up to 12,900.

• Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
6,589 posts
11,600 battles

I played enough missions as a side-product of grinding for Anchorage dockyard event.
Eventually I unlocked the Golden Eagle camo, but figured that I wouldn't have the time or desire to grind the remaining missions to earn enough tokens to get the Golden Eagle camo.

Then, I looked in the Armory and the ship in port and looked at the Camo options for the Kansas.

So, normal camo for Kansas was about 2000 doubloons, if I recall correctly.
Or... I could spend two thousand doubloons on prize bundles in the Armory and gain the number of tokens I needed to get the Golden Eagle camo.
Since I'd be spending the doubloons for a permanent camo, I preferred the Golden Eagle camo and acted accordingly.

[O_O]
Members
6,753 posts
16,154 battles

I got the Kansas perma-camo, and I didn't spend a dime on any of the US Battleship tokens, or anything to do with this event.  It was a chunk of a grind, however, but I still had one task to spare.

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,368 posts

Hmm I must not have kept up on what I was doing.. I got the Kansas... I have enough tokens to buy all the bundles and get the Camo 24, 700 so far.

Not planning on getting the perma camo though.. prob going to buy tons of Camos instead.

Thinking  I will be getting the three bundles that lead up to the Perma Camo for the Special signals they have , then the balance on Stars and stripes Camos.

Edited by Col_Nasty

[RLGN]
Members
14,859 posts
26,403 battles
2 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

So got my Kansas the other day & figured I’d grind it out for the camo for free.  Uhh. No can do for free. Gonna cost 1000 dubs.  No thanks for a ship that will go to the scrap yard when I grind out the Minnesota.  But I do have to thank WG In advance for the free credits when I sell her. 

Don’t sell it. Just let it rot.

If there’s ever any reason to get it back, (x-flakes maybe,) no amount of discount can ever be as cheap as free was. That 50% value of credits you got will be meaningless then.

[WKY12]
Members
799 posts
12,900 battles
3 hours ago, Burnsy said:

It was free, technically.  If you played enough in the previous weeks, you got extra missions over the last two weekends (the more you played the more missions you got), that gave enough to get it for free.

With those missions, I got enough tokens to get the camo without finishing the event missions.

Thanks, I guess I was slacking.

[REVY]
Members
8,088 posts
6,118 battles

The Premium Camo is a waste anyway, the consensus is that the ship is not fun to play.  Apparently the Soviet Union had vastly better paper ships then the Americans.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
1,304 posts
4,905 battles

My price as shown comes out to 3000 doubleloons. I see that as about 10 US Dollars (For 4000)

Nope. Thats one purchase I am happy not to worry about. As soon this event is over with that ship is going to be sold or discarded. The slot is more valuable.

I very rarely complete events for a ship like that. I think the last good completion was a few years ago with the Winter Japanese BB's that were pretty good. Especially the 33 knot BB that plays like a cruiser. All those tokens were good for mountains of Credits for which I feel pretty happy about for almost a month of work in the missions.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,577 posts
15,643 battles
8 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

WG’s algorithm looked at your playing patterns and decided “how close do we need to allow him to get to tempt him to spend?”

I am obliged to disagree.

It is a tenet of actual science that one contradictory datum refutes a hypothesis. I got the camo for free, and others in this thread seem to have done so as well. Therefore it certainly wasn't a matter of WG trolling you with how many tokens it was willing to give out.

We can debate your inability to play enough to win them because of RL obligations, and if that's the case you have my sympathy, but the tinfoil hat needs to go.

[HKC]
Members
643 posts
10 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

What is the nature of your complaint, if you are going to sell the ship anyway?

And its a hideously ugly camo.

• Confused 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,988 posts
10,409 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am obliged to disagree.

It is a tenet of actual science that one contradictory datum refutes a hypothesis. I got the camo for free, and others in this thread seem to have done so as well. Therefore it certainly wasn't a matter of WG trolling you with how many tokens it was willing to give out.

We can debate your inability to play enough to win them because of RL obligations, and if that's the case you have my sympathy, but the tinfoil hat needs to go.

Oh, I’m not disappointed or upset at all, and I don’t debate that others got the camo for free. I also never accused WG of “trolling” me, although it can be argued that my post above was slightly trolly. :Smile_trollface:

WG has been pretty opaque over what counts as “activity” (number of battles? Types of battles? Base xp earned? Does spending “activity” factor in? etc), and I would not be surprised if what I described is part of the criteria, given how much WG seems to (wisely) base their decisions on data-driven analysis (the infamous “spreadsheets” lol). This is, after all, the same patch where WG is running an experiment with daily shipments to see how promised rewards affect player activity. And I am genuinely curious, as a scientist myself, about the system WG is using to determine who gets what missions. I‘m curious as a player who regularly finishes the dailies and gets three containers as to what would qualify as the “most active” bracket, not that I expect to ever find out.

I have more important things to be upset about than a shooty-boats game. :Smile_smile:

Edited by Nevermore135

[ARGSY]
Members
21,577 posts
15,643 battles
9 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

WG has been pretty opaque over what counts as “activity”

Yeah, I was mildly surprised that I didn't get the maximum number of missions over the second weekend. I don't exactly skip nights in this game unless I have to!

11 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

And I am genuinely curious, as a scientist myself, about the system WG is using to determine who gets what missions. I‘m curious as a player who regularly finishes the dailies and gets three containers as to what would qualify as the “most active” bracket, not that I expect to ever find out.

If I had to hazard a guess, it would be that more random battles would have got me there. I did a LOT of this event in co-op. 

[APEZ]
Members
2,516 posts
8,815 battles

Broke : spending tokens on golden eagle camo

Woke : buying stars and stripes camo for ships you'll actually play

[ARGSY]
Members
21,577 posts
15,643 battles
18 minutes ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

Broke : spending tokens on golden eagle camo

Woke : buying stars and stripes camo for ships you'll actually play

One could argue that. OTOH if you're actually going to play the line and thrash out its ups and downs properly, might as well grab the permacamo for free rather than cough up doubloons; right? The stars and stripes camo are one-shots, and all you will have left of them is either pleasant or unpleasant memories of the XP you earned with them.

[BERYL]
[BERYL]
Members
134 posts
5,046 battles
10 hours ago, Sventex said:

The Premium Camo is a waste anyway, the consensus is that the ship is not fun to play.  Apparently the Soviet Union had vastly better paper ships then the Americans.

Da Comrade Sventex. The official position of the State, is that Yankee paper boats can't be superior to those of the Soviet Union. 

[REVY]
Members
8,088 posts
6,118 battles
1 minute ago, RicketyEdge said:

Da Comrade Sventex. The official position of the State, is that Yankee paper boats can't be superior to those of the Soviet Union. 

The secret recipe for superior paper designs is vodka of course.  Those poor Americans never had a chance at doodling on napkins!

• Funny 2

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
606 posts
5,477 battles
13 hours ago, Colonel_Potter said:

Didn't even try for the golden camo since I probably won't play the ship much after getting leveled up to Minnesota, even though I am actually starting to like the Kansas. Spent my tokens on those pin up girl symbols and Stars 'n Stripes camo.

This. Got a bunch of the SnS camos too. Also, IMHO, that camo was UGLY. I put on one of the two T8 Christmas camos left over from last year. I like the HO HO HO horn.

• Cool 1

Members
804 posts

I'm kind of bummed that I'll wind up being 150 tokens short of the free perma camo. I don't plan on paying 1,000 doubloons to get it since I really don't plan on playing the Kansas any more than absolutely necessary, but it would have been nice to add to the ol' collection.

[F4E]
Members
301 posts
8,307 battles

FWIW, I got the two additional weekend missions, and I have acquired the permacamo and I should have approximately 1200 tokens left over...