Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bloodstain22

Too Many Battleships in Battle

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

13
[MADE]
Beta Testers
11 posts
831 battles

I haven't played WoWS for over 1 year and thought I'd play it some again.

I have noticed that almost on every map, at least half the ships are battleships, and very few people play cruisers.  I learned why quickly though... battleships tear cruisers apart so quickly, that there is really no point in playing them.

I much preferred to play the game when there was only about 2 battleships per team.  Now with 50%-75% of the ships being battleships you might as well just re-brand the game as World of Battleships.

Please either limit the amount of battleships that are assigned to teams in general battles, or balance out the game mechanics to make playing other ships a more viable option.

 

  • Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,758
[SALVO]
Members
25,491 posts
27,464 battles

Right now, the maximum number of BBs you'll normally see in a random battle is 5 per team.  I suppose that they could reduce that to 4 per team, but in my opinion, going lower than that is  unacceptable because if you look at the numbers of ships by type sitting in the MM queue, invariably there are a good deal more BBs than of the other ship types.

But you're also wrong to say that "at least half the ships are BBs", when it's only 5 out of 12 under normal circumstances (i.e. not an MM queue dump).  Also, cruisers can do well in randoms *IF* you know how to properly play cruisers.  Sadly, there are too many players who don't know how to do that, and will show too much broadside far too often.  Players who don't know how to effectively bob and weave when kiting.  Can a cruiser get cit'd by a BB even when they're doing a good job of dodging?  Yes.  But the fact that you took a cit doesn't mean that you didn't beat the enemy BB's aim.  It can always just be a case of unlucky RNG throwing shells onto you when you actually did avoid the BB's actual aim point.  The reality is that RNG can turn misses into unexpected hits.  This is true in WoWS, and also true in WoT.  I once one shot a high tier medium tank on a miss when I was aiming at an enemy heavy tank.  My arty shell overflew my aim point (the heavy tank) and landed on what I thought was open ground, only to end up killing the medium tank.  The Medium tank player was super POd because he hadn't been detected and claimed I was cheating, when all it really was was a case of me getting really lucky.  When RNG is involved, ship happens.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,139 posts
6,389 battles

If you limited slots for BB's people who wanted to play them would wait 15 mins to get in a game. not good

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,491 posts
11,597 battles

So you claim that no one wants to play cruisers because they’re weak to battleships.

Why are there fewer destroyers than cruisers then? 
 

I posit that people play battleships more because they want to play battleships more. It’s like in MMOs where there’s a ton of DPS but no healers or tanks. People want to be the big deeps and only a few want to be the actual team player clutch that makes the magic happen.

 

🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,758
[SALVO]
Members
25,491 posts
27,464 battles
4 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

So you claim that no one wants to play cruisers because they’re weak to battleships.

Why are there fewer destroyers than cruisers then? 
 

I posit that people play battleships more because they want to play battleships more. It’s like in MMOs where there’s a ton of DPS but no healers or tanks. People want to be the big deeps and only a few want to be the actual team player clutch that makes the magic happen.

 

🤷‍♂️

Also, I think that BBs are usually the most famous warships from this era, which makes them more appealing for people to play them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
749
[KNCOL]
Members
812 posts
1,888 battles

There are too many ships in this bird watching simulator. Wg pls fix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2
[-LAP-]
Members
7 posts
1,198 battles

I'd have to agree with the original poster. I literally just had a game with seven BB's per side. I don't know if it's determined by which server you're on or times, but I almost never have a match without literally half the team as battleships. I'm typically a BB player myself, but have been trying to grind the US light cruisers. It was fun until I got to Cleveland. I am seriously thinking about just quitting the CL line here and going back to battleships as every round I play (Except for one. Seriously, one) has multiple Iowa, Montana, FDG, Yamato, etc..

It's just seriously frustrating trying to play the game and gain XP on a new ship when you're getting blasted out of the water by a BB that you can't even see with one or two salvos. So, even as a predominately BB player, I would welcome a limit on BB's per game. But I'd much rather have something to give people a reason not to play BB's. Something to encourage more cruisers that does not limit BB's.

Personally, I think a lot of the players in BB's are doing so due to the CV rework. US cruisers are supposed to have good AA, but in most of my games, especially higher tier ones, a decent CV player can blow a CL or even a CA out of the water within a couple passes. So in order to be able to play, you need something with lots of health and armor.

Several others have mentioned some good theories as well, but I input my .01 cents.

Edited by Plaprad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,588
[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,157 posts
5,666 battles
On 10/22/2020 at 5:41 PM, Bloodstain22 said:

I haven't played WoWS for over 1 year and thought I'd play it some again.

I have noticed that almost on every map, at least half the ships are battleships, and very few people play cruisers.  I learned why quickly though... battleships tear cruisers apart so quickly, that there is really no point in playing them.

I much preferred to play the game when there was only about 2 battleships per team.  Now with 50%-75% of the ships being battleships you might as well just re-brand the game as World of Battleships.

Please either limit the amount of battleships that are assigned to teams in general battles, or balance out the game mechanics to make playing other ships a more viable option.

 

 

On 10/22/2020 at 5:57 PM, Crucis said:

Right now, the maximum number of BBs you'll normally see in a random battle is 5 per team.  I suppose that they could reduce that to 4 per team, but in my opinion, going lower than that is  unacceptable because if you look at the numbers of ships by type sitting in the MM queue, invariably there are a good deal more BBs than of the other ship types.

But you're also wrong to say that "at least half the ships are BBs", when it's only 5 out of 12 under normal circumstances (i.e. not an MM queue dump).  Also, cruisers can do well in randoms *IF* you know how to properly play cruisers.  Sadly, there are too many players who don't know how to do that, and will show too much broadside far too often.  Players who don't know how to effectively bob and weave when kiting.  Can a cruiser get cit'd by a BB even when they're doing a good job of dodging?  Yes.  But the fact that you took a cit doesn't mean that you didn't beat the enemy BB's aim.  It can always just be a case of unlucky RNG throwing shells onto you when you actually did avoid the BB's actual aim point.  The reality is that RNG can turn misses into unexpected hits.  This is true in WoWS, and also true in WoT.  I once one shot a high tier medium tank on a miss when I was aiming at an enemy heavy tank.  My arty shell overflew my aim point (the heavy tank) and landed on what I thought was open ground, only to end up killing the medium tank.  The Medium tank player was super POd because he hadn't been detected and claimed I was cheating, when all it really was was a case of me getting really lucky.  When RNG is involved, ship happens.

Day before yesterday I played two matches, first in Colorado which resulted in a mediocre performance by me, but a win.  Following that I took out Zao.  I don't recall the exact breakdown of the teams, but it was something like one CV, four or five BBs, one DD and the rest cruisers.  It was a standard battle and around mid game we found ourselves without any BBs left, I was at about 65% health and near the enemy base along with a full health Hindenburg.  IIRC our base was being pushed by a Des Moines, Hindenburg, North Carolina, Alsace and Georgia while we only had our Kagero defending the base.  They also had an Alexander Nevsky and an Akizuki left.  All of our surviving cruisers turned and made best speed back to defend the base and by the end of the match we had sunk their North Carolina, Alsace, Des Moines and Alexander Nevsky for the loss of our Hindenberg.  We also drove off the Georgia, Akizuki and Hindenberg.  Only the Alexander Nevsky and Akizuki ever got into our base and it cost the Alexander Nevsky his ship while the Akizuki decided to withdraw without us ever detecting him.

Cruisers are not helpless against BBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
108
[PYK]
Beta Testers
209 posts
2,419 battles
On 10/22/2020 at 6:41 PM, Bloodstain22 said:

I haven't played WoWS for over 1 year and thought I'd play it some again.

I have noticed that almost on every map, at least half the ships are battleships, and very few people play cruisers.  I learned why quickly though... battleships tear cruisers apart so quickly, that there is really no point in playing them.

I much preferred to play the game when there was only about 2 battleships per team.  Now with 50%-75% of the ships being battleships you might as well just re-brand the game as World of Battleships.

Please either limit the amount of battleships that are assigned to teams in general battles, or balance out the game mechanics to make playing other ships a more viable option.

 

They do limit the amount of BBs per game. A cruiser is still able to counter a BB with a good strategy. There have been too many times where an agile cruiser HE farms my BB to death while I cannot get good shots on him due to dodging. 
I believe that the current amount of BBs per game is optimal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×