You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Boat_Ape

Latest and Greatest Computer Specs.

22 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts
19,183 battles

Ok, all of you wise, tech people-I need your advice as to what the best 'current' computer system specs (hard drive(s)-graphics-sound card etc. etc.) will function

best with WOWS and even more importantly that will visually display the game in the greatest of clarity and detail.  I'm old and I can't easily detect subtle movement of ships

I'm firing on.  Wows is the only game I play.  My current graphics are Nividia GT710 and I'm sure that I need something better than this.  But what exactly?

Please reply soonest.  My system is now 7 years old, (I wish I was just 7) and while the hard drive is good and all of the drivers are up todate, I 'm still getting a bluescreen crash almost on a daily basis.

Thanks a bunch!

Members
81 posts

The bad news is, you probably can't afford the most uber systems because you have to build it yourself and the cooling system alone will cost you more than most people spend on their CPU. Or you could order something like a Xidax X-7 with all the top component options for about $8,000.00 USD.

The good news is you don't need a top of the line gaming uberbox to play WoW like a boss.

Ghost your splatter platter hard drive over to an SSD. That alone makes a huge diffference.

Edited by Froggy_McFrogface
  • Sad 1

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,151 posts
16,144 battles

@Boat_Ape

First:

Knowing what you currently have would help others tell you if it's best to get something new, or if you can use what you have.  This can save you a lot of money.

Second:

If money isn't an issue, a complete upgrade (replace all the things, Monitor/Keyboard/mouse/etc), you'll be looking at 6k, minimum.  Just a core upgrade (CPU/MB/RAM/VC/Etc), you can knock that down to 4.5k, minimum.  Mind you, I only did a quick and dirty search.

But as Froggy pointed out, you don't need a top-of-the-line to play WoWs at max graphics.  My 970 had no problems running WoWs at max graphics. :Smile_playing:

[CO-OP]
Members
1,742 posts
25,987 battles

I have a 1060 on one of my machines and it runs WOWS at 1080 and 140 fps with no problems. Ryzen 5 1600, 16gb memory, NVME SSD.

First step should be to determine what you want to spend, once you have figured that out you will get no end of suggestions for competent systems within that budget.

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,160 posts
16,392 battles
1 hour ago, Boat_Ape said:

'm still getting a bluescreen crash almost on a daily basis

like other said, you need to determine your budget first .... we then based on your budget suggest the right parts

minimum $2000 for 7yrs old computer upgrade

[WOLF8]
Members
609 posts
9,221 battles

OK, you do not need to spend $4000+ on a new computer to play WOWS.  I bought a new computer (desktop) last December (from iBuyPowerPC) for ~$1200.  Granted I reused my monitor, but you should be able to buy a whole new computer that can run WoWS for $2000 or less even.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
708 posts
9,263 battles
5 minutes ago, Slammer58 said:

OK, you do not need to spend $4000+ on a new computer to play WOWS.  I bought a new computer (desktop) last December (from iBuyPowerPC) for ~$1200.  Granted I reused my monitor, but you should be able to buy a whole new computer that can run WoWS for $2000 or less even.

Sheesh, I"m running WoWs just fine on an off the shelf Dell I bought from Costco 4 years or so ago for $800 

i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
16.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745

Now admittedly it will slow down a little if I take my Scharn and lead it between 2 or more other ships with strong secondaries where it becomes a big crossfire, but otherwise it's good to go.   

• Cool 1

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
725 posts
13,940 battles

If you can build your own. (and it's not hard if you have any mechanical knowledge at all) All the new AMD stuff is dropping Nov. 5th.  Aside from that being able to get the latest greatest video card which all seem to be on back-order ATM (most believe those will mass market Nov. 5 as well)  And Black Friday soon approaching. A person should be able to build an epic PC from $800 - $1200 bucks. with all the latest greatest bells and whistles. If you don't want to do that. I'm certain the release of the new stuff will drive the prices down on some of the yr. or two older stuff down in price. A lot of which to is nothing to sneeze at. Any of it will run this game no problem. 

If you're looking for clarity and detail you have to start with what your eye sees first. Then the PC will need to be able to use it.  

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012012?Item=N82E16824012012&cm_sp=homepage_dailydeals-_-p2_24-012-012-_-10212020&quicklink=true

[WORX]
Members
11,401 posts
19,183 battles
2 hours ago, Boat_Ape said:

Ok, all of you wise, tech people-I need your advice as to what the best 'current' computer system specs (hard drive(s)-graphics-sound card etc. etc.) will function

best with WOWS and even more importantly that will visually display the game in the greatest of clarity and detail.  I'm old and I can't easily detect subtle movement of ships

I'm firing on.  Wows is the only game I play.  My current graphics are Nividia GT710 and I'm sure that I need something better than this.  But what exactly?

Please reply soonest.  My system is now 7 years old, (I wish I was just 7) and while the hard drive is good and all of the drivers are up todate, I 'm still getting a bluescreen crash almost on a daily basis.

Thanks a bunch!

So you want to upgrade... Mind you, it all depends on how much you wanna put a hole on your wallet, by chasing the performance...

I recommend

• 32GB of ram
  • A good CPU with a lot of cores
  • 2080Ti graphics card
  • 144Hz monitor of at least 18" or more.
  • 1 Tb SSD HD At least.
  • Win 10 64 bit,

This system As is, will last you a good 8 years, definitely a good 5years.

• Cool 1

Members
26 posts
19,183 battles

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. I didn't get any emails that there were responses to my post and I had a senior moment and forgot.

In any event.  My current computer runs Intel-5-2310, 2.90K/ 8 GB Ram/W-10/64Bit/GE Force 710.  

As for money.  Well, I might be able to afford something outlandish. But....I'm frugal and a value shopper which is one of the reasons I wrote the post in the first place.  I never assume I know very much until I research and get other people's/pc mag/etc. etc. opinions and then I go from there.   With black Friday  and everything else coming up I'll be looking for the deal.

Thanks for all the replies!

[WOLF8]
Members
609 posts
9,221 battles

If you want to be real frugal, I suspect if you just upgrade the graphics card (check what your power supply can handle 1st!), you probably can eliminate those BSODs.

Members
615 posts
4,388 battles

I got my computer at Costco, an iBuyPower c-:14 a couple of years ago.  It was around $2000, cheeper than I could buy the components and build it myself at the time.  I'm pretty sure they still have something similar there now.  I expect to keep this one a minimum of 2 more years possibly more.  I reused my 27 Inch Monitor, and use Logitech keyboard and mouse, oh and Windows 10 64 bit.  Probably the newer systems come with Ryzen processors and 2080TI video but should be similar overall.

Intel Core I7-7700K processor

1 TB SSD and a second 3 TB hard drive for storage

32 GB ram

video is GTX 1080 with 8 GB

I'd say watch the Black Friday ads and see if anything pops up.  If you prefer laptops, Costco has MSI gaming laptops also.  The downside is you have to be a member to see the deals there.  I'm sure Sam's has something similar.  You can check on line shops like Dell, NewEgg, (make sure it is sold by NewEgg not one of their partners), and B&H Photo, or Stores like Best Buy (or even Walmart).

[WPORT]
Members
6,600 posts
11,609 battles
On 10/22/2020 at 4:04 PM, Boat_Ape said:

Thanks a bunch!

I spent about $750 on an Acer Nitro-5 entry-level gaming Laptop with a 17" screen, back in spring of 2020.

If I plugged it into an external 'big screen' monitor, I could play WOWs just fine and see every little detail that my eyes might miss on a small screen.

As others have mentioned, WOWs will run on a lot of computers, but getting an SSD (Solid State Drive) will significantly improve performance over a conventional HDD (Hard Disk Drive).
With a large monitor, reasonable CPU & RAM and Graphics card specifications, one could have a budget-friendly system that will give them plenty of enjoyment for less than $1,000 in my opinion.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
708 posts
9,263 battles
1 hour ago, HayabusaZ said:

I got my computer at Costco, an iBuyPower c-:14 a couple of years ago.  It was around $2000, cheeper than I could buy the components and build it myself at the time.  I'm pretty sure they still have something similar there now.  I expect to keep this one a minimum of 2 more years possibly more.  I reused my 27 Inch Monitor, and use Logitech keyboard and mouse, oh and Windows 10 64 bit.  Probably the newer systems come with Ryzen processors and 2080TI video but should be similar overall.

Intel Core I7-7700K processor

1 TB SSD and a second 3 TB hard drive for storage

32 GB ram

video is GTX 1080 with 8 GB

I'd say watch the Black Friday ads and see if anything pops up.  If you prefer laptops, Costco has MSI gaming laptops also.  The downside is you have to be a member to see the deals there.  I'm sure Sam's has something similar.  You can check on line shops like Dell, NewEgg, (make sure it is sold by NewEgg not one of their partners), and B&H Photo, or Stores like Best Buy (or even Walmart).

Wow, all that drive space, I'm jealous! :Smile_ohmy:   

Members
26 posts
19,183 battles

To all:  Thank you for your replies.  I appreciate the input.  So far, I think that a consensus seems to be that an SSD is the way to go for the game and that's what I've read on other sites with reference to gaming specifically and everything else is preference.  Now, if I can just get a deal. :XD

[WORX]
Members
11,401 posts
19,183 battles
55 minutes ago, Boat_Ape said:

SSD is the way to go for the game

Not for WOWS, it doesn't give you any advantages what so ever...

For any other application other then WOWS, yes its a good upgrade... IF I were you, get the RAM upgrade instead... It maybe cheaper then getting the SSD.

[SBS]
Members
6,104 posts
6 minutes ago, Boat_Ape said:

To all:  Thank you for your replies.  I appreciate the input.  So far, I think that a consensus seems to be that an SSD is the way to go for the game and that's what I've read on other sites with reference to gaming specifically and everything else is preference.  Now, if I can just get a deal. :XD

There are some things that are must haves according to the consensus you'll find on the internet.  I'll offer this piece of advice, the consensus isn't always right for everyone.  For example, SSD drives.  They are a "must have" for some games, but not WoWs.  For WoWs all a SSD will do is load your port and the armory a little faster.  There will be no game play difference at all.  I'm not saying you shouldn't get a SSD drive.  Get one if you plan on playing other games, or you want to do other tasks that will benefit from a faster drive.  I'm just mentioning the benefit is minimal for this game.

Another big one that is seen as a must have is a 4k or higher monitor.  If you have good eyesight (and a good budget) then by all means go for it.  I'm well into my middle aged years, I have the money, but I don't have the eyesight anymore for a 4k monitor.  I run 1920x1080 resolution.  What that means is I don't need a top of the line graphic card to run games on high or ultra graphic settings.  Running on a low resolution means you aren't going to get the best possible image, less sharp and detailed when compared to a higher resolution (that's not to say the graphics are bad at a low resolution).  The upside is you can save a ton of money on a monitor and graphics card.  The latest graphic cards are intended to run the latest games at high resolutions.  If you don't intend to use high resolution settings/monitor then don't get a top of the line card. 

As others have mentioned, WoWs doesn't require a powerful rig.  If you don't intend to play other games then there is no reason to buy a powerful gaming computer.  I'd also add to that, if you aren't a more serious gamer then don't spend a lot of money on gaming mouse/keyboard setup. 

As for building your own computer or buy one already built.  I know there are people that like to build their own.  You'll hear about how easy it is.  It can be very easy if you're are at least somewhat handy with tools.  I'd give this warning.  Building your own generally works great, and the parts all play nice together in most cases.  In the rare case when the build goes wrong you can have a problem on your hands that you are completely out of your depth.  For me I buy one built for me.  There are a few places with good reputations, Cyberpower and iBuyPower are two of the bigger places.   You can buy ready made computers from them or they will customize a build for whatever you want.  Wait until there is a deal and you can usually get one these computers for less than what you'd be able to buy the parts for to build it yourself. 

Well that's what I have on this topic.  I know this sort of cuts against the grain from some of the general consensus.  I'm just offering another perspective.  Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,742 posts
25,987 battles

Bang for buck setup, Ryzen 3 3100 ($120),  B450 Mobo ($75), 16GB 3200 DDR4  ($65), GTX 1660 Ti ($270), 1TB SSD ($100).

• Cool 1

Members
1,342 posts
4,912 battles

Im running three MSI 680 GTX Graphic cards on the ASUS Rampage Edition black motherboard. (Silly stringing of marketing [edited] words together are we?) These cards are about 15 years since they were bought new back then.

I can drop Titans in there and replace the two failed GSkill memory modules which did not really affect performance of RAM that much. The game plays at 34 ping and around 85 fps in highest settings. My concern lean to the radiator and CPU etc which have had 5 years plus of ongoing 24/7 up time. It would not be too difficult to keep on trucking  with newer parts on the board.

On the other hand any old laptop with dual video cards of farily recent E3 history bought on the bay after the annual event will do well. Not too expensive. Just have to elbow the other bidders for the product you all are bidding on.

Members
615 posts
4,388 battles
19 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

There are some things that are must haves according to the consensus you'll find on the internet.  I'll offer this piece of advice, the consensus isn't always right for everyone.  For example, SSD drives.  They are a "must have" for some games, but not WoWs.  For WoWs all a SSD will do is load your port and the armory a little faster.  There will be no game play difference at all.  I'm not saying you shouldn't get a SSD drive.  Get one if you plan on playing other games, or you want to do other tasks that will benefit from a faster drive.  I'm just mentioning the benefit is minimal for this game.

Another big one that is seen as a must have is a 4k or higher monitor.  If you have good eyesight (and a good budget) then by all means go for it.  I'm well into my middle aged years, I have the money, but I don't have the eyesight anymore for a 4k monitor.  I run 1920x1080 resolution.  What that means is I don't need a top of the line graphic card to run games on high or ultra graphic settings.  Running on a low resolution means you aren't going to get the best possible image, less sharp and detailed when compared to a higher resolution (that's not to say the graphics are bad at a low resolution).  The upside is you can save a ton of money on a monitor and graphics card.  The latest graphic cards are intended to run the latest games at high resolutions.  If you don't intend to use high resolution settings/monitor then don't get a top of the line card. 

As others have mentioned, WoWs doesn't require a powerful rig.  If you don't intend to play other games then there is no reason to buy a powerful gaming computer.  I'd also add to that, if you aren't a more serious gamer then don't spend a lot of money on gaming mouse/keyboard setup. 

As for building your own computer or buy one already built.  I know there are people that like to build their own.  You'll hear about how easy it is.  It can be very easy if you're are at least somewhat handy with tools.  I'd give this warning.  Building your own generally works great, and the parts all play nice together in most cases.  In the rare case when the build goes wrong you can have a problem on your hands that you are completely out of your depth.  For me I buy one built for me.  There are a few places with good reputations, Cyberpower and iBuyPower are two of the bigger places.   You can buy ready made computers from them or they will customize a build for whatever you want.  Wait until there is a deal and you can usually get one these computers for less than what you'd be able to buy the parts for to build it yourself.  

Well that's what I have on this topic.  I know this sort of cuts against the grain from some of the general consensus.  I'm just offering another perspective.  Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

Nice post, well said.  I'm in the same situation as you on the eye sight.  Which is why I kept my old monitor, also 1920 X 1080.  My brother has a 4k monitor and before he adjusted the image I couldn't even read the chat window on his screen, between my eye sight and the small image it could display.  Everything ages over time, my monitor would be considered low tech today, but it fills my needs, nothing worse than buying a new video card and finding out your power supply doesn't even have the right connectors to power the new part.  Or that your old monitor can't display the new 4k graphics the new video card can render.

You are also on track with the idea of watching for a deal this time of year especially and you are correct about the SSD not being mandatory for playing this game.  If you do get an SSD I'd stick with one of the big names. 

At the OP:  If you add a SSD drive, make sure you back up your old hard drive to an external storage solution (like a usb hard drive) before beginning anything!  That way if anything goes wrong you don't lose everything you have stored there.  It is also handy if you get a new computer to transfer your files from the old computer to the new one.  Without knowing your level of expertise with computers and before you get in over your head, I'll mention a couple of other things. With a new computer they most likely will come loaded with Windows 10, which can be nice if you are not comfortable with loading it your self.   If you choose to upgrade to an SSD you will have to load Windows 10 yourself or ghost your old hard drive to the new one.  That is something else to consider in this replacement/upgrade decision process.

This thread has been one of the better ones on the topic, even when posters disagreed with each other on the topic, unusual.

Members
615 posts
4,388 battles
22 hours ago, Altwar said:

Wow, all that drive space, I'm jealous! :Smile_ohmy:   

It came with the system, but it is great for keeping stuff off of the SSD drive, given the size of the pictures cameras make now for instance, they can fill up space fast.