You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

Its time to nerf Destroyers.

78 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Members
13,737 posts
4 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

So to compensate for your huge nerf to dds, can we get a historic ratio of dds to other ship types? Perhaps they could just respawn 11 times. 

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

Beta Testers
754 posts
5,286 battles
8 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

I think the time has come for destroyer captains to learn to be more strategic in their game play and limit the amount of torpedoes a destroyer can carry.  Sure its a game but.

For example, The clemson can fire 2 salvoes of torps each on each side  thats sixteen torps reloading roughly every 60 seconds.  for a 20 minute game if you consider that they fire from the time they start to the end, thats 360 torps.

No clemson can carry around even 10% of that number of torps.  Im a destroyer player myself but I see the absurdity of it all.

I think that having one reload is fine, for 60 seconds.  Then they have to be "restocked" .  Just in the same way that carriers have to wait for planes to be remade if shot down.  Torpedoes have to be restocked, not at a restock point but they slowly regenerate as the game goes along just as planes have to slowly regenerate as the game goes along.  We all know what a seal clubber the clemson can be with the spamming of torps that it does and it was a great selling point for the world of warships in the past but WOW has grown up now. But giving it this level of play makes it more real, makes dd captains choose more carefully what to attack and what not to attack.  To save valuable torps for when they need them instead of blindly spamming them over and over.

While I'm sure there will be a lot of ummm... discontent with this idea, its just a suggestion but i feel it will bring a more intense level of game play. 

Also to mention that with subs soon on the horizon they will have  a new job of depth charging subs so they wont be totally relying on the torpedo freedom rush they had in the past.

Its time for Destroyers to become part of the team more instead of yolo off on t heir own and avoid the team to sink a lone ship by spamming torps instead of scouting and capping like they are supposed to, strategically of course.

Please stop posting.....just please.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

Unnerf the AP penetration changes and I'll be happy.

I don't think any classwide changes are needed beyond that right now.

• Haha 1

[WORX]
Members
11,468 posts
19,211 battles
3 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

For example, The clemson

The Clemson is not a torp DD... If you're playing the Clemson as a torp DD, you're playing the Clemson wrong...

Low tier torps reload is 40sec while gun reloads ar 20 to 30 sec.

The Clemson's torps are so short range, they're considered defensive rather then offensive.

In Summery its a game... If you dont like torps... Then move up to tier 8 and above... There, you'll find torp DDs with a huge handicap against the other ships...

Slap on vigilance and hydro, you'll be able to see the torps coming from the moon. (which I might add, is dull and boring).

So let the guys fight in the trenches... Its a lot more fun then High tier game play meta.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[WKY13]
Members
548 posts
11,177 battles

It's not a stupid idea, but it is infeasible. Making it feasible would require increasing spotting damage xp by an awful lot.

• Cool 1

[MNR]
[MNR]
Members
82 posts
4,162 battles

Umm how about a no? Because I am starting to like to play DDs and found two DDs that fits my play style.

[ICEY]
Members
190 posts
5,115 battles

The problem with this nerf is that it's going to make things totally unbalanced. Less torpedoes means less stuff to worry about for battleships. I get the idea that some destroyers literally manufacture torpedoes but this nerf is gonna hit really hard on many other DDs. Many high tier DDs have to wait two minutes or more to load their torpedoes and you want to make their reload/regen rate even longer?

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,343 posts
9,660 battles
11 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

I think the time has come for destroyer captains to learn to be more strategic in their game play and limit the amount of torpedoes a destroyer can carry. 

1124031_900.jpg

• Cool 7
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 4
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,523 posts
6,695 battles
10 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

scouting and capping like they are supposed to

These actions are not rewarded properly.  Also these pure scouting and spotting are not actions that win or carry games.  Lastly clemsons torps and really all low tier DD torps are very short range. 

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
4 minutes ago, eviltane said:

These actions are not rewarded properly.  Also these pure scouting and spotting are not actions that win or carry games.  Lastly clemsons torps and really all low tier DD torps are very short range. 

Pretty much this...

I believe scouting and spotting can significantly *help* win games but definitely won't carry.

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
654 posts
9,693 battles
22 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

The Clemson is not a torp DD... If you're playing the Clemson as a torp DD, you're playing the Clemson wrong...

Low tier torps reload is 40sec while gun reloads ar 20 to 30 sec.

The Clemson's torps are so short range, they're considered defensive rather then offensive.

In Summery its a game... If you dont like torps... Then move up to tier 8 and above... There, you'll find torp DDs with a huge handicap against the other ships...

Slap on vigilance and hydro, you'll be able to see the torps coming from the moon. (which I might add, is dull and boring).

So let the guys fight in the trenches... Its a lot more fun then High tier game play meta.

I dont know anyone that uses the clemson torps defensively, the clemson was an example but with upgraded torps and torpedo armament expertise captains skill it reloads just under 60 seconds.  As a DD player i mostly use them offensively to compliment my guns.  If  your using them defensively your playing it wrong Navelpride33. Sure there will be times to use them defensively, but thats not the majority of the time.  The destroyer is a street fighter,  you play it like that, but strategically.  As far as high tier, i dont see the difference in play in high tier as opposed to tier 4.  People play the same, in some ways more conservatively, but still make the same mistakes.

yes i have a few tier 10 destroyers so i can say ive been there.  but the topic is on the torpedoes and the concept of their reload.

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Haha 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,304 posts
17,993 battles
24 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

I think the time has come for destroyer captains to learn to be more strategic in their game play and limit the amount of torpedoes a destroyer can carry.  Sure its a game but.

For example, The clemson can fire 2 salvoes of torps each on each side  thats sixteen torps reloading roughly every 60 seconds.  for a 20 minute game if you consider that they fire from the time they start to the end, thats 360 torps.

No clemson can carry around even 10% of that number of torps.  Im a destroyer player myself but I see the absurdity of it all.

I think that having one reload is fine, for 60 seconds.  Then they have to be "restocked" .  Just in the same way that carriers have to wait for planes to be remade if shot down.  Torpedoes have to be restocked, not at a restock point but they slowly regenerate as the game goes along just as planes have to slowly regenerate for "X" amount of time as the game goes along.  We all know what a seal clubber the clemson can be with the spamming of torps that it does and it was a great selling point for the world of warships in the past but WOW has grown up now. But giving it this level of play makes it more real, makes dd captains choose more carefully what to attack and what not to attack.  To save valuable torps for when they need them instead of blindly spamming them over and over.  I don't see why it cant be done.  Not taking anything away just slowing it down .

While I'm sure there will be a lot of ummm... discontent with this idea, its just a suggestion but i feel it will bring a more intense level of game play.  Perhaps not apply to all Destroyers but its worth thinking about.

Also to mention that with subs soon on the horizon they will have  a new job of depth charging subs so they wont be totally relying on the torpedo freedom rush they had in the past.

Its time for Destroyers to become part of the team more instead of yolo off on t heir own and avoid the team to sink a lone ship by spamming torps instead of scouting and capping like they are supposed to, strategically of course.

This would be a huge change and WG has said they aren't into that anymore.  Believe them or not, this would still be a very big disruption to the balance of most ships, not just DDs.  Consider that with the exception of one DD, DDs are multipurpose with some being torp boats and others being gun boats and a fewer number of hybrids.  Then think about how cruisers use torps and even how there are more BBs with torps that differentiate themselves from other similar BBs. 

Arguably this would be a larger change to the game than any one of other big changes in the game (e.g. CV Rework, IFHE changes, etc)

[WORX]
Members
11,468 posts
19,211 battles
1 minute ago, DevilD0g said:

I dont know anyone that uses the clemson torps defensively, the clemson was an example but with upgraded torps and torpedo armament expertise captains skill it reloads just under 60 seconds.  As a DD player i mostly use them offensively to compliment my guns.  If  your using them defensively your playing it wrong Navelpride33. Sure there will be times to use them defensively, but thats not the majority of the time.  The destroyer is a street fighter,  you play it like that, but strategically.

In today's meta (and the past meta), The Clemson torp range of 5.0km.. Are the same range as the RU DDs torps...

5KM from any target just to torp it... Its suicidal and not recommended...

I think you're mistaken with a different DD.. The Clemson is not a Torp DD... Its guns do more DMG at range then torps...

[SALVO]
Members
2,523 posts
6,695 battles
10 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

I'd see reloads limited or slowed down drastically in exchange for faster torpedo speed and completely adjustable spreads. 

I think adjustable spreads should absolutely be a feature. Also I think doing things like single firing torps like the British do,  with the caveat of setting the reload times on a per torp basis rather the having to reload the entire launcher, would be  nice. 

5 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

I dont know anyone that uses the clemson torps defensively

Usually when people speak of using torps "defensively" they mean when a ship is driving into your direction and therefore the range of your torps.  The Clemson with its many launchers is highly effective at it  since its torps are shorter ranged then its concealment. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,090 posts
22,670 battles
23 minutes ago, Spirit_of_76 said:

It's not a stupid idea, but it is infeasible. Making it feasible would require increasing spotting damage xp by an awful lot.

Agree. Some XP compensation for lack of damage would be needed but I do understand @DevilD0g's sentiment. This arcade game needs balance between ship types - especially with DD - or no one would play DD.

Besides, my Asashio says no!

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
654 posts
9,693 battles
7 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

In today's meta (and the past meta), The Clemson torp range of 5.0km.. Are the same range as the RU DDs torps...

5KM from any target just to torp it... Its suicidal and not recommended...

I think you're mistaken with a different DD.. The Clemson is not a Torp DD... Its guns do more DMG at range then torps...

ive gone between two battleships and torped one with one salvo and another with another salvo and had 1 each side left and still survived.  I could never do that with just my guns .  But your entitled to your opinion.

its a torp dd if you know how to use it.  But sure the clemson strength is its guns, that dont get better till the next tier.

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 2

[NMKJT]
Members
2,770 posts
7,929 battles
22 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Pretty much this...

I believe scouting and spotting can significantly *help* win games but definitely won't carry.

All the spotting in the world won't help when your team is too dumb to fire at spotted targets or hit when they do fire. So DDs need viable options for when that is the case, so they aren't just complete spectators to a losing match.

Edited by MnemonScarlet
  • Cool 1

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
654 posts
9,693 battles
4 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

All the spotting in the world won't help when your team is too dumb to fire at spotted targets or hit when they do fire. So DDs need viable options for when that is the case, so they aren't just complete spectators to a losing match.

part of the reason for that is that while  "a" ship, any ship may spot a potential target, most players are to focused on their own zoomed up scope to think to communicate and call out targets,  even on high tier its not practised so the team can all engage to defeat an offensive target.  As i said, they make the same mistakes.  thats why a good carrier player that always sees the overall game picture can assist the team and call out targets of danger or opportunity that others dont get time or are to engrossed to think about doing it.

Edited by DevilD0g

[WORX]
Members
11,468 posts
19,211 battles
Just now, DevilD0g said:

ive gone between two battleships and torped one with one salvo and another with another salvo and had 1 each side left and still survived.  I could never do that with just my guns .  But your entitled to your opinion.

Its tier 4 Bro... :Smile_veryhappy: Your expectations are to high for tier 4..

Its not the DD, its the BBs that got in to that position in the first place...

That is like me saying Nerf the ATL/Flint because I was able to sink 2 BBs with my 2 torp launchers... Its not the ships fault you sunk them, it was the BBs whom made the ill fated choice..

[RAN]
[RAN]
Members
654 posts
9,693 battles
10 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Its tier 4 Bro... :Smile_veryhappy: Your expectations are to high for tier 4..

Its not the DD, its the BBs that got in to that position in the first place...

That is like me saying Nerf the ATL/Flint because I was able to sink 2 BBs with my 2 torp launchers... Its not the ships fault you sunk them, it was the BBs whom made the ill fated choice..

so what  your saying is that you cant do that on high tier with "a destroyer" ?? pfffttt  wrong.  heard the words "Double strike" ..  Limit the torp spamming to a certain tier with a game mechanic brake,  maybe is something to think about.  Again, its an idea that I think is worth exploring. Sure it will change gameplay, sure it will bring destroyers back to thinking more with the team for protection and scouting and capping and i think thats a good thing than have them run off when you need them to do exactly thaaaat!!!!

Edited by DevilD0g
  • Funny 1