You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MackDye

Yep! Kansas sucks alright. ROFL :)

85 comments in this topic

[RGPLT]
Members
663 posts
17,494 battles

All tier 8 match making. Another solid match. 120K damage and a win. I wrecked a Hipper with two volleys from full health to 1330 health. A 20K volley and a 16K volley. I also punished a Baltimore as well. 

Know how to use the tool in your hand and you will succeed. Positioning is key. You don't chase enemies down. You go where the enemy is pushing down against your team. Your big guns and punishing damage slow those pushes down real fast when they see their buddies just disintegrate. If you love the Arizona/New Mexico then the Kansas, Minnesota and Vermont is the dream! Kansas is amazing against cruisers because the 406mm shells stick inside the ship instead of causing an overpen. Kansas isn't as good against battleships unless you get their broadside. Switching to HE will be necessary when battleships are bow in to you.

These new US battleships have the guns to be relevant against higher tier opponents which means they are massively overpowered against lower tier opponents. That's why the stats have to be "bad". I don't see the stats as bad. They are the way they are for real reasons. To keep the playstyle of the ship line and to prevent them from being overpowered. People are going to cry these ships are bad but the reality is they don't know what they are doing and they have no patience/discipline. They want overpowered ships to cover up their lack of skill. The same thing happens in tanks. New tank is overpowered people complain its too good and those that have it will fight to prevent it from getting nerfed. New tank is balanced then they cry it sucks. Its the exact same thing with people in warships. 

Screenshot (160).png

Screenshot (161).png

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 14
  • Meh 7

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,235 posts
21,634 battles

9 km from bow in shorres....

3 hits.

1 pen, 2 over pens....

Yup these guns murder ships, when it connects.

I ate 2 Georgia citadels from 18 km...

Savesky just penned me to death as I was 50° angled....

These are support battleships. Don't get hit and you can influence a match.

Once you get focused, your as dead as a spotted British CL outside it's smoke.

• Cool 4

[WOLF3]
Members
383 posts
10,652 battles

The reload is not the issue, its the 1.5 sigma and the armor needs serious buffs. That would justify her size, mobility, and make hitting something possible.

• Cool 5

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,446 posts
17,730 battles

I still don't have the Kansas yet so I can't really comment on it's quality. I will say that I just had a nice little run in my Bismark where I was facing off against them in every match and had no issues dealing with her. Her guns do hit hard but she's too slow to escape once in secondary range. 

Members
2,093 posts
32,373 battles
37 minutes ago, MackDye said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=44b63c92bbf32eaeAll tier 8 match making. Another solid match. 120K damage and a win. I wrecked a Hipper with two volleys from full health to 1330 health. A 20K volley and a 16K volley. I also punished a Baltimore as well. 

Know how to use the tool in your hand and you will succeed. Positioning is key. You don't chase enemies down. You go where the enemy is pushing down against your team. Your big guns and punishing damage slow those pushes down real fast when they see their buddies just disintegrate. If you love the Arizona/New Mexico then the Kansas, Minnesota and Vermont is the dream! Kansas is amazing against cruisers because the 406mm shells stick inside the ship instead of causing an overpen. Kansas isn't as good against battleships unless you get their broadside. Switching to HE will be necessary when battleships are bow in to you.

These new US battleships have the guns to be relevant against higher tier opponents which means they are massively overpowered against lower tier opponents. That's why the stats have to be "bad". I don't see the stats as bad. They are the way they are for real reasons. To keep the playstyle of the ship line and to prevent them from being overpowered. People are going to cry these ships are bad but the reality is they don't know what they are doing and they have no patience/discipline. They want overpowered ships to cover up their lack of skill. The same thing happens in tanks. New tank is overpowered people complain its too good and those that have it will fight to prevent it from getting nerfed. New tank is balanced then they cry it sucks. Its the exact same thing with people in warships. 

Screenshot (160).png

Screenshot (161).png

I did 135k, 2 kills, 35 planes shot down in a random battle.

That said, it still is a steaming pile of horse manure and the 40 second reload is completely unwarranted. I only play it because I am not wasting FXP on Minneslowta save the upgrades.

• Cool 3

[FOXY]
Members
1,137 posts
5,394 battles

So uh. How many times are you gonna start the same thread over? Cherry picking your average/good matches isnt going to prove its good.

Edited by Princess_Daystar
  • Cool 7

[--K--]
Members
1,351 posts
11,264 battles

I’d rather get crapped on by CV than play that floating dumpster fire.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1

[90THB]
Members
195 posts
6,609 battles

Most ships are quite feasible with top tier or all same tier matchmaking.  Roma is a monster vs T8 ships for one example.  Now come back and continue singing its praises after several matches of getting farmed by any of the following:

Thunderer, Zao, Hindy, Henri, DM, Yoshino, Haragumo, Kitakaze, throw in Bourgogne for the reload booster laughs and Yamato/Musashi for the overmatch memes.

• Cool 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,446 posts
17,730 battles

I had this match today in the Mikasa for funsies. Does this make the Mikasa a good ship too? 

shot-20_10.22_07_06.38-0714.thumb.jpg.80cfd2d3888bcf40f6d0fb03df9e6fde.jpg

• Cool 7
  • Funny 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

[MNR]
[MNR]
Members
82 posts
4,150 battles
5 minutes ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

I had this match today in the Mikasa for funsies. Does this make the Mikasa a good ship too? 

10 kills? Wow. The closest I got was 7 kills and that was in my Monty.

[SALVO]
Members
25,433 posts
27,377 battles
29 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

I’d rather get crapped on by CV than play that floating dumpster fire.

Or you could play that "floating dumpster fire" AND get crapped on by a CV.  :Smile_trollface:

[ARGSY]
Members
21,562 posts
15,643 battles
1 hour ago, MackDye said:

All tier 8 match making.

No offence, but the real test is going to be seeing how you perform when you're one of only a few T8 ships against heavy T9 and T10.

I am a supporter and defender of this ship, but I'm not going to lie when I say that a long string of T10 battles is THE situation I'm not looking forward to at the moment.

[ROCKR]
Members
352 posts
14,418 battles

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see the name Kansas I go straight to "Leftoverture" or "Point of Know Return"..."Kansas doesn't suck, they've had some pretty good moments...Ahhh, the new New Mexico. What's it's top speed and reload time  again?"

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,446 posts
17,730 battles
38 minutes ago, Spooky39 said:

10 kills? Wow. The closest I got was 7 kills and that was in my Monty.

Remember that low tiers will include bots at some point if no human players are in the queue, so not as much of an accomplishment as your Monty battle. Prior to this battle my highest was also seven in a bunch of different ships. The next battle after this a team mate hit me with four torps at the start so yeah, low tiers. 

[CVA16]
Members
5,650 posts
17,421 battles
1 hour ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Hey, it is the best BB at its tier!!:Smile-_tongue:

Don't have a Kansas and I'm not anxious to get it as I'm not all that fond of slow ships. However, the ship is starting off doing quite well according the Ship Stats site. Very low game count so I expect that to change but starting quite well.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Funny 1

Members
2 posts
7,040 battles
1 hour ago, MackDye said:

Know how to use the tool in your hand and you will succeed. Positioning is key

You are advocating that the key to using a ship that needs a speed flag and a stiff tailwind to hit 24 knots is positioning? I have to wonder if you're trolling at this point to say something so obviously bankrupt of logic. Is it possible to have a good game in the Kansas, yes, certainly. The stars may align and your shells may go where you aimed them, and a cruiser or two might get blapped. This does not a good ship make. A 120k game in the North Carolina or most any other T8 battleship is not that hard.

How exactly is one supposed to 'use the tool' oh enlightened one? If you sit in the back and chunk shells across half the map, yes, occasionally a salvo may land where you want it too, but most of the time the 1.5 sigma is going to say 'nope' and only 2-3 shells will connect. Those that do thanks to the weaker Penetration values and slighly weird ballistics have less chance of actually doing something meaningful. This means that the overall EFFECTIVE (vs theoretical) DPM of the ship is horrible as a sniper.

If you try and play it like a French ship as a mobile, flanking shotgun, you look silly because you're too slow. You can't brawl, the giant superstructure and casemate armor sections with handy shell traps eat HE and AP Pens for days, and if anything goes wrong you can't run or kite.

Can the ship be made to work? Yes. A blind squirrel can find a nut from time to time, a broken clock will tell the correct time twice a day, but the painful reload, poor sigma, glacial speed, and being a massive target all are working against each other in denying the ship any viable niche. In order to not subject Tier 6 cruisers to being deleted at will by the Kansas they've made it unviable in every other circumstance.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,438 posts
20,588 battles

Sifting through the stats quickly, it looks like the reason you're doing well in the ship is combination of low sample size (13 games) and the ship being too slow for you to get yourself in trouble. That's based on your Kansas survival rate (46%) versus your survival rate in basically every other battleship you own (20-30%). I've always said the sub-branch was made for a very particular kind of player, so it's good to know that someone out there is benefiting from WG's resource investment.

• Funny 2

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,446 posts
17,730 battles
21 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Hey, it is the best BB at its tier!!:Smile-_tongue:

He's right you know... (in b4 morgan freeman meme)

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,446 posts
17,730 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Or you could play that "floating dumpster fire" 

Fire This Is Fine GIF by MOODMAN - Find & Share on GIPHY

I thought actually seeing the image would help. Unfortunately the dumpster appears to be travelling at speeds greater than the Kansas can achieve.  

Edited by Jolly_Rodgered
  • Funny 6
  • Haha 6

[SALVO]
Members
25,433 posts
27,377 battles
1 hour ago, Bonfire79 said:

Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see the name Kansas I go straight to "Leftoverture" or "Point of Know Return"..."Kansas doesn't suck, they've had some pretty good moments...

Ahhh, a person of rare taste.  :cap_like:

[SALVO]
Members
25,433 posts
27,377 battles
1 hour ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Just think of what the Mikasa may be like after the skill rework when the manual secondaries skill's accuracy for tier 6 and below ships goes from +10% to +35% accuracy.  Heck, that might make the Mikasa's secondaries more accurate than her mains.

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
186 posts
1,522 battles
2 hours ago, MackDye said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=44b63c92bbf32eaeAll tier 8 match making. Another solid match. 120K damage and a win. I wrecked a Hipper with two volleys from full health to 1330 health. A 20K volley and a 16K volley. I also punished a Baltimore as well. 

Screenshot (160).png

Screenshot (161).png

Now we just need to wait for Eurobeat to upload his next set of "How to Kansas" videos. You guys wait here, I'll go grab the popcorn. 

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,668 posts
7,060 battles

Personally.. I've always kind of liked Kansas

• Cool 3

[POSM]
Members
139 posts
1,952 battles

I’ve played 23 games so far, 61% win rate but I don’t think that’s sustainable, and 65k average damage, which is not good. That’s less damage than I average in WV41 (75k 67 games), Arizona( 70k over 50). He’ll in 28 games I’m averaging 63k in Viribus Unitus. Kansas is only averaging 2k more damage than a TIER 5 that everyone says is horrible. It’s very hit or miss and it takes the whole game to get good damage, if your team dominates forget about doing more than 20k, close games are where it does real work when you have the whole time to add damage. 

I can handle the speed, I can handle the reload much better than I thought it’s honestly not that big of a problem, but the fcking accuracy is what kills it. I don’t think it’s as bad as people make it out to be, it’s a serviceable ship but by no means is it a good one. 

Edited by jwatt_
  • Cool 1