Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MidwayBestWaifu

Issues with midway

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
23 posts

Midway is the t10 tech line american CV and i found that she has alot of issues, First she has very innacurate HVAR rockets, So Enterprise and lexington have better HVAR rockets than midway HVAR rockets because they are much more accurate, second, Midway has weaker torps than Saipan, Enterprise and lexington despite midway being a t10 and enterprise, saipan and lexington being t8s but to compensate the low damage you drop 6 torps per attack run but the aiming speed is slow, Third since the HE bomb nerf her dive bombers spend alot of time over their target and lexington, Enterprise and saipan's DBs dive to their target much earlier than midway's DBs so I think Saipan, Enterprise and Lexington are better DD hunters than midway because lexington and saipan's DBs dive earlier to their target and lexington and enterprise have much more accurate HVAR rockets. heres the cons and pros of the squadrons

Attack aircraft: You have 10 rockets per HVAR rocket but they are very innacurate

Torpedo bombers: you drop 6 torpedoes per attack run but the torps deal very low damage and have slow aiming

Dive bombers: the bombs deal very high damage but they spend alot of time over their target than any other HE bomber

  • Cool 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
565
[-TKS-]
Members
1,253 posts
9,610 battles

Hot take: I actually prefer Lexington over Midway. Sure Lexington’s tier VIII planes don’t fare so well against Tier X ships, but she’s far more flexible in her role as a cv. She can attack all ship types with success and her torpedo bombers are actually quite useful. Sure her HE bombs don’t hit AS hard but you don’t need to hit AS hard so long as you set fires.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
935
[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts

Biggest problem is cost.
$200,000 for ammo means that even with a perm camo, you lose massive amounts of money in co-op.
It's the reason I've decided not to chase a CV emblem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,409
[IRNBN]
Members
3,700 posts
10,775 battles
5 minutes ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

Imagine CV players complaining about being underpowered.  

 

WOWS 2020 folks.

Not all CV players, just the ones that suck and won't git gud.

  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
690
[NUWES]
Members
3,246 posts
11,584 battles
34 minutes ago, USS_Saratoga_CV3 said:

Midway is the t10 tech line american CV and i found that she has alot of issues, First she has very innacurate HVAR rockets, So Enterprise and lexington have better HVAR rockets than midway HVAR rockets because they are much more accurate, second, Midway has weaker torps than Saipan, Enterprise and lexington despite midway being a t10 and enterprise, saipan and lexington being t8s but to compensate the low damage you drop 6 torps per attack run but the aiming speed is slow, Third since the HE bomb nerf her dive bombers spend alot of time over their target and lexington, Enterprise and saipan's DBs dive to their target much earlier than midway's DBs so I think Saipan, Enterprise and Lexington are better DD hunters than midway because lexington and saipan's DBs dive earlier to their target and lexington and enterprise have much more accurate HVAR rockets. heres the cons and pros of the squadrons

Attack aircraft: You have 10 rockets per HVAR rocket but they are very innacurate

Torpedo bombers: you drop 6 torpedoes per attack run but the torps deal very low damage and have slow aiming

Dive bombers: the bombs deal very high damage but they spend alot of time over their target than any other HE bomber

All true. The only thing I would add is that the flood chance on the torps is very low. I'll go through a battle and get 20 torp hits and one flood. 

All this being said, she is a good carrier. She isn't really outstanding at anything or massively effective against any one ship type but her tools are versatile and effective against all of them.

The HVAR reticule doesn't narrow as much as other CVs, but she would be OP, particularly against DDs, if it did with that many rockets. The individual rockets still do a good bit of damage and you can still hit with a good number of them on a broadside DD.

I've never really noticed the DBs lingering over the target longer than other USN DBs. The DBs are very agile though and can accurately hit targets like DDs. Midway can kill most DDs in 2 drops.

As for the torps, the only good thing is there are a lot of them. It is one of the best ships out there for missions where you need a lot of torp hits. They are fine on BBs, stationary cruisers and DDs hiding in smoke. I also use them to scare ships into turning (most people don't realize how little damage they actually do). For anything else I use the DBs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
716
[CLUMP]
Members
1,086 posts
1,345 battles
48 minutes ago, USS_Saratoga_CV3 said:

Midway is the t10 tech line american CV and i found that she has alot of issues, First she has very innacurate HVAR rockets, So Enterprise and lexington have better HVAR rockets than midway HVAR rockets because they are much more accurate, second, Midway has weaker torps than Saipan, Enterprise and lexington despite midway being a t10 and enterprise, saipan and lexington being t8s but to compensate the low damage you drop 6 torps per attack run but the aiming speed is slow, Third since the HE bomb nerf her dive bombers spend alot of time over their target and lexington, Enterprise and saipan's DBs dive to their target much earlier than midway's DBs so I think Saipan, Enterprise and Lexington are better DD hunters than midway because lexington and saipan's DBs dive earlier to their target and lexington and enterprise have much more accurate HVAR rockets. heres the cons and pros of the squadrons

Attack aircraft: You have 10 rockets per HVAR rocket but they are very innacurate

Torpedo bombers: you drop 6 torpedoes per attack run but the torps deal very low damage and have slow aiming

Dive bombers: the bombs deal very high damage but they spend alot of time over their target than any other HE bomber

 

You see daily salt threads from CV haters did this and they are still whining about CV been OP the Irony  :Smile_teethhappy:

 

19 minutes ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

Imagine CV players complaining about being underpowered.  

 

WOWS 2020 folks.

 

Right imagine DD players complain constantly and daily about tiny tims :Smile_teethhappy: So wargaming nerf them and also made it so that HVA rockets have horrible dispersion :Smile_smile:  

 

34 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Biggest problem is cost.
$200,000 for ammo means that even with a perm camo, you lose massive amounts of money in co-op.
It's the reason I've decided not to chase a CV emblem.

 

This reason why I won't bother getting tier 10 CV even with premium time and flags to reduce cost and camo coop is a  massive waste of money :Smile_sceptic: Forget about playing in randoms since tier 10 CVs are quite frankly not as good is there tier 8 counterparts :fish_palm:

 

Not mention who know how much more will CV be nerfed because of the cry CV baby CV haters so why bother investing time or money on tier 10 CVs :Smile_hiding:

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,927
[WOLFG]
Members
30,805 posts
9,354 battles
5 hours ago, LastRemnant said:

Right imagine DD players complain constantly and daily about tiny tims....

They sure wouldn't complain about me using them, I tried them for maybe 3 or 4 matches, but got tired of whiffing against DDs lol.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,673
[POP]
Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

the rockets are fine,the main problem i have with them is that if you sneeze,the reticule suddenly covers the entire map.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48
[ENDO]
Members
105 posts

I wish the HVARs maintained their accuracy a little better while lining up on a squirming DD, but then they could not just dodge to not get blapped for 8k every time. 

Midway seems to be the largest victim of RNG for me. She can drive you nuts sometimes with it, but I consider Midway to be pretty balanced.

Edited by MBRicochet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
390
[-N-]
Alpha Tester
821 posts
6 hours ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

Imagine CV players complaining about being underpowered.  

 

WOWS 2020 folks.

Imagine if DD's didn't complain every day about something that can spot them.....hasn't happened yet!

 

  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
390
[-N-]
Alpha Tester
821 posts
33 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

the rockets are fine,the main problem i have with them is that if you sneeze,the reticule suddenly covers the entire map.

Should have the same launch penalty for ship shells and ship launched torps.  I mean it's only fair....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41
[DW-62]
Beta Testers
193 posts
1,537 battles

Sounds like Midway is a lot like a government, overwhelm them with numbers and scare people into making mistakes. Noted, will use these legit strats once I sail her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
492
[5D2]
Members
435 posts
10,448 battles
3 hours ago, MaxMcKay said:

Imagine if DD's didn't complain every day about something that can spot them.....hasn't happened yet!

 

Imagine being a DD main that really doesn't have a problem with radars, hydros, other ships?  Imagine only having an issue with a gamebreaking mechanic that completely negates the MAIN tool a DD has to protect its minimal health pool?

 

Wow, what balance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,927
[WOLFG]
Members
30,805 posts
9,354 battles
3 hours ago, MaxMcKay said:

Should have the same launch penalty for ship shells and ship launched torps.  I mean it's only fair....

I take it you never played the steaming pile that was Steel Ocean.

People already play ships too much like tanks. No point giving them more incentive to sit still and be practice targets for CVs lol.

Besides, if WG really cared about "fair", CVs would be a totally different animal from now, or just plain gone.

All the things the good players say about CVs not fitting into the game are 100% correct AFAIC. Not that I care though, I'm not bothered by the "unfairness", and play and play against them with little objection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,927
[WOLFG]
Members
30,805 posts
9,354 battles
14 minutes ago, Dr_Drunk_AKA said:

Imagine being a DD main that really doesn't have a problem with radars, hydros, other ships?  Imagine only having an issue with a gamebreaking mechanic that completely negates the MAIN tool a DD has to protect its minimal health pool?

You are almost forced to imagine that, because most aren't at that point.

Most of us are at the point where CVs are just a different flavor of death.

Quote

Wow, what balance!

I do things to people when I play CVs, CVs do things to me when I'm not. Balanced enough for me.

Edited by Skpstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,663
Members
1,848 posts
52 battles
10 hours ago, USS_Saratoga_CV3 said:

Attack aircraft: You have 10 rockets per HVAR rocket but they are very innacurate

Torpedo bombers: you drop 6 torpedoes per attack run but the torps deal very low damage and have slow aiming

Dive bombers: the bombs deal very high damage but they spend alot of time over their target than any other HE bomber

Use the TTs instead. Forget about engaging DDs with them unless you have no HE DBs available.

Midway TBs have much higher total alpha strike than their T8 counterparts and in general the 2nd highest total alpha of any TB single attack run in the game (beaten out only by 3k damage by FDR). The trick to aiming with them is to line up your target before engaging and making no movements during the preparation phase. The spread towards the accurate end of the spectrum is smaller than the reticle would suggest, there is typically no need to fully line them up to make all torps connect.

Last I checked there is no difference in DB behavior between Midway DBs and Enterprise/Lexington/Saipan ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
492
[5D2]
Members
435 posts
10,448 battles
22 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

You are almost forced to imagine that, because most aren't at that point.

Most of us are at the point where CVs are just a different flavor of death.

The most damage a CV can do is spot.  Sure, they'll kill you off eventually, but their spotting is really the biggest issue.

 

Radars, hydros, etc.  You get to know those.  You play smart, you know where those ships are and how to counter/bait/play around those.  It's very doable.  Just have to have experience.  God help you if a CV wants to keep you spotted if you're not a Halland (or maybe a Kidd to a T6/8 CV.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×