You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MackDye

USS Kansas is a bad ship they said.

85 comments in this topic

[RGPLT]
Members
669 posts
17,634 battles

All month i've seen people talk trash on the new USN battleships Kansas, Minnesota and Vermont. Those people don't know how to play these ships and vastly underestimate their capabilities. Stats on paper don't mean anything. You have to evaluate the ship as a whole.

This was my first match in the Kansas with a 10 point captain. Very basic BB build. Yes, i was top tier but the things i did to the enemy team were disgusting. 

Cruisers beware this shark lurking unseen in the distance because if you don't respect the gun power of these ships your highly likely to suddenly and without warning explode at any time. I ripped 98% of an Atlanta's health in one volley and then a teammate finished the kill. I then Dev Struck a Budyonny that was broadside at 19.5KM away from me. He thought he was safe. ROFL Your never safe. 

There is a reason the ship looks bad on paper. The offensive firepower that these ships can put out is insane! These three ships are all about the knock out punch. They don't care about chipping an opponent down. They want to throw the match ending uppercut that instantly KO's an opponent. 

These ships are support ships and won't carry every match but when your team spots the enemies for you the damage piles up fast. If the opponent underestimates these ships the whole flank will be decimated in a few minutes giving your team an easy win. 

To do well in these monsters stay back and use the long range to your advantage. Always use all 12 guns as that is where the real power comes from in these ships. Stay towards the center of the map as much as possible so you can cover two caps and most of the map with your gun range. Your job is to make as many people on the map fear you at all times. If they are scared of your kill shots it will set your team mates up for big plays. Patience is the name of the game with these ships. Hold fire while undetected to see if someone foolishly gives you their broadside and then punish them for it.

I had 27 plane kills. The enemy CV's couldn't touch me. You get DFAA and Fighter Plane consumables plus good AA on the ship hull. CV's will try to strike you but will lose many planes in the process. The best thing a CV can do is spot you but stay out of AA range and let his teammates sink you.

I can't wait to play more of these ships. If you play them well the reward is so high. Every time you land that massive 20K damage double citadel dev strike you just want to jump out of your chair in excitement. People WILL be complaining about how overpowered they are soon.

Screenshot (158).png

Screenshot (159).png

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 11

[--V--]
Members
1,461 posts
13,765 battles

Got my Kansas today.  Outfitted her with whatever that option is that gives her 26km range.  Can't think of the name.  Anyway.  I stayed in the back and farmed a nice little 107k damage first match.

Unfortunately,,, at T8 I was unable to influence the match really.  Guns are relatively decent.  AP lacks a punch so went with HE a lot.  Would get 3 hits and 3k damage.  Pretty lackluster.  Most damage came from a couple of fires timed just right.  But she can't push.  She can't support caps.  Hell,,, she can't reach caps till everyone there is dead.

Reload is really atrocious.  As expected, unable to shoot at many targets because they'd be invisible by the time I'd reloaded.  I mean seriously.  Scharnhorst, a BB would get off 2 salvos at me and go dark before I could reload.  That's @#$@t.

Anyway,,,, really not impressed.  All preconceived notions affirmed.

[FOXY]
Members
1,203 posts
5,522 battles

One good battle does not a good ship make. Time will tell how good they are of course, but im incredibly dissapointed in both. Ive had games where ive done well over 100k damage in them both, and then ive had games where only one or two rounds per salvo landed on the target, for non penetrations. Ive had more of the latter than the former, and ive had just as many games were i did hardly anything due to how slow they are and how easy they are for HE farming.

• Cool 7

[SVF]
Members
1,775 posts
2,335 battles

That's nice and all, but the cherry picking is super strong here.  Even the worst ships can perform like that once in a blue moon, or in the hands of unicum+ players.  Come back when you can boast a long series of such games.

• Cool 4

[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts

You say the ship has a knockout punch, but you only managed 1 kill.
Your team was in a blowout loss, leaving you lots of targets, but you only managed 100k damage.
Doesn't look like a resounding endorsement to me.

• Cool 8

[BERYL]
[BERYL]
Members
134 posts
5,061 battles
4 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

One good battle does not a good ship make. Time will tell how good they are of course, but im incredibly dissapointed in both. Ive had games where ive done well over 100k damage in them both, and then ive had games where only one or two rounds per salvo landed on the target, for non penetrations. Ive had more of the latter than the former, and ive had just as many games were i did hardly anything due to how slow they are and how easy they are for HE farming.

There's that lousy 1.5 Sigma rearing its ugly head. 

A sniper this boat is not. 

[FOXY]
Members
1,203 posts
5,522 battles
8 minutes ago, RicketyEdge said:

Watching shells zip over or short of targets at close range is fun too. :/

• Cool 1

[SIMP]
Members
1,596 posts
19 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

^This

• Cool 1

[UNC]
Members
819 posts
6,081 battles

Horribly slow, huge, covered in 32mm plating; basically Colorado guns one tier higher but firing a lighter AP shell (so less pen/damage) with poor dispersion and awful sigma.  You have exactly one game in it and blapped (or nearly so) two of the most fragile light cruisers in the game.  Any other BB at tier would have done the same if not better; any CL showing their side to a BB is going to get slapped hard. 

I am glad that you are excited about the ship; I just disagree that it is any good.  I got lucky (I guess?) and got Minnesota, but she has not even left port yet because 1, I hate slow ships, and 2 from everything I have read/seen the gameplay is dreadfully boring.  Consensus on Kansas (say that 5x fast lol) is that the ship is a turd.  If you can make her work, good on ya. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,583 posts
11,114 battles

Couldn't you have done the same or better in Amagi while also having the speed to reposition when needed?

[REVY]
Members
8,104 posts
6,118 battles

Clearly the upcoming Strasbourg will be the worst ship ever, just look at how low it's exp gains were this match!  /s

WorldOfWarships64 2020-10-20 23-55-26-54.jpg

• Funny 2

[SALVO]
Members
25,528 posts
27,531 battles
27 minutes ago, RicketyEdge said:

It is and it isn't.  It doesn't really have the accuracy to be a good sniper.  OTOH, the volume of fire (i.e. 12 shells) does slightly counter the lack of accuracy.  However, her slow speed in this high tier battles does seem to end up increasingly forcing her to hang back, because she doesn't have the speed to retreat.  This last thing you learn from playing the California which is pretty similar (i.e. 12 main guns and slow speed), though the CA's main guns are have even less pen.

Overall, I am not impressed.

[SALVO]
Members
25,528 posts
27,531 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

Clearly the upcoming Strasbourg will be the worst ship ever, just look at how low it's exp gains were this match!  /s

WorldOfWarships64 2020-10-20 23-55-26-54.jpg

While the Strasbourg will hardly be slow, I suspect that it may be somewhat similar to the Florida, i.e. having pretty good speed but with weak main guns and iffy armor for her tier.

[KWF]
Members
4,961 posts
6,614 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

While the Strasbourg will hardly be slow, I suspect that it may be somewhat similar to the Florida, i.e. having pretty good speed but with weak main guns and iffy armor for her tier.

By the way it's presented Strasbourg will be to Dunk what Jean Bart is to Richelieu; not a big upgrade stats wise, but supplemented by the very strong Reload Booster. 

[SALVO]
Members
25,528 posts
27,531 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

By the way it's presented Strasbourg will be to Dunk what Jean Bart is to Richelieu; not a big upgrade stats wise, but supplemented by the very strong Reload Booster. 

Interesting, but disappointing.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,755 posts
15,308 battles

Not to be too dismissive, but this isn't that great a game, it's one game fighting hapless T6 ships and the ship is still awful. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,935 posts
46,935 battles

Declaring a ship is good based on one game is ridiculous.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
8,104 posts
6,118 battles
8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

With the Dunkerque being either formally or currently my most played ship, she's a DD hunter plain and simple, while Florida is a backline ship.  With a reload booster, Strasbourg would become even more deadly against DD's with it's monstrous high velocity HE shells.  My biggest concern for a Strasbourg ship is whether or not bow tanking is a viable tactic at tier 7.  Strasbourg had an upgraded armor scheme historically over Dunkerque, but I don't know if the bow armor is going to be identical or not in this game.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,279 posts
24,692 battles

Kansas is a magnificent self-propelled target drone that HE Spammers and Yamato-class players will love and adore.

Slow and practically immobile.

32mm deck armor:  Free HE Pens and Easy Overmatch for 460mm+ AP.

Convenient AP Shot Traps on the hull.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles
2 minutes ago, Sventex said:

With the Dunkerque being either formally or currently my most played ship, she's a DD hunter plain and simple, while Florida is a backline ship.  With a reload booster, Strasbourg would become even more deadly against DD's with it's monstrous high velocity HE shells.  My biggest concern for a Strasbourg ship is whether or not bow tanking is a viable tactic at tier 7.  Strasbourg had an upgraded armor scheme historically over Dunkerque, but I don't know if the bow armor is going to be identical or not in this game.

currently i think strasbourg dont have the upgraded armor scheme,she looks like a copy pasted dunkerque hull.

[RLGN]
Members
14,964 posts
26,497 battles
1 minute ago, Patton5150 said:

Declaring a ship is good based on one game is ridiculous.

Declaring a ship bad when it’s hardly been played is just as ridiculous; but I suppose we’ll see.

(Just five Co-op games so far, so not really in any place to judge, but again, we’ll see.)

Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Kansas is a magnificent self-propelled target drone that HE Spammers and Yamato-class players will love and adore.

lol

Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Slow and practically immobile.

32mm deck armor:  Free HE Pens and Easy Overmatch for 460mm+ AP.

Convenient AP Shot Traps on the hull.

I won’t deny I may change my mind when I finally take it into Randoms, but I can’t say I dislike it just yet.

One amusing as anecdote from the Co-op games I’ve played; set course towards a cap, a few shot and damage here and there, by the time I got there the bots and players had all killed each other, so solo cap.

Sometimes slow is good? :Smile_hiding:

[REVY]
Members
8,104 posts
6,118 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

currently i think strasbourg dont have the upgraded armor scheme,she looks like a copy pasted dunkerque hull.

Yeah if she still has a 26mm bow, then I suspect she won't perform well at tier 7.  15" shells can sail right through it.

[SVF]
Members
1,775 posts
2,335 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

Standard-for-tier 26mm plating, yes.  You're not bow tanking much in Strasbourg, at least if you want to possibly last till round's end anyway.

Edited by landcollector

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

honestly,strasbourg doesnt entice me in any way,even with MBRB.its dunkerque meeting musashi.

the stats  are so similar that its basically the same ship with a new gimmick and thats it,no improved AA,better armor or better sigma.

Edited by Cruxdei

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,173 posts
17,213 battles

Meh give it time. Players also say the Gneisenau and the Colorado are bad. Heck some even say the Hood is bad....lol

• Boring 1