You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

Return of Flint and Smolensk?

56 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles

Both ships were taken out of the armory by Feb 2020. WG said that they will be both sold for coal after 6 months. What's the delay I wonder? 

• Haha 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,314 posts
9,645 battles
3 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Both ships were taken out of the armory by Feb 2020. WG said that they will be both sold for coal after 6 months. What's the delay I wonder? 

Flint has been mercilessly smacked by the changes in AA and IFHE mechanics. I'd stay away even if it were sold again.

Not sure if Smol will be sold again, it's not a healthy ship for the game IMO. 

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,024 posts
26,014 battles
2 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

it wasnt the Smolensk it was the neustrashimy and flint . Smolensk was removed later 

^^This.  It was Flint, Black, and Neustrashimy.  As to the delay, WG stated that it would be at least 6 months, so that means it could be released tomorrow or in 2050.  Best guess would be for of just after the Christmas events.

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles
6 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Flint has been smacked by the changes in AA and IFHE mechanics mercilessly. I'd stay away even if it were sold again.

Still would be useful in operations. But I got Atlana, so no worries.

5 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

it wasnt the Smolensk it was the neustrashimy and flint . Smolensk was removed later 

Okay, thanks

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,442 posts
11 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

I wouldn't invest in either until after we see what happens with the skill rebork -- both would suffer massively from the loss of BFT and AFT. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,144 posts
14,735 battles
13 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Flint has been mercilessly smacked by the changes in AA and IFHE mechanics. I'd stay away even if it were sold again.

The IFHE changes were because it was a no choice decision to take it. Increased penetration and almost all of the fire chance, there was no down side. Now it is a decision, more penetration or fires. For 5" and larger the fires are the better choice. On the AA, the Flint/Atlanta are still not easy targets but like the Texas without being able to extend the range their AA is mostly to protect themselves and extremely close ships, don't compare RTS AA to the rework AA.

5 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I wouldn't invest in either until after we see what happens with the skill rebork -- both would suffer massively from the loss of BFT and AFT. 

I don't think that either is going away. I have no information that everyone else has access to but I would not be surprised to see the skill tree return to five tiers.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Meh 3

[DMGS]
Members
59 posts
6,039 battles
15 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

You got confused I believe. The ships that we were told would come back we’re former steel-only ships Flint and Black.

Smolensk was pulled with no word on when she could return.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,442 posts
22 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I don't think that either is going away. I have no information that everyone else has access to but I would not be surprised to see the skill tree return to five tiers.

The table of proposed changes they published completely strips cruisers of the ability to take BFT, AFT, BOS, PM, LS, FP, and i think one I'm forgetting.  

Unless that changes, especially the first five, small gun cruisers and supercruisers are ruined. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,144 posts
14,735 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The table of proposed changes they published completely strips cruisers of the ability to take BFT, AFT, BOS, LS, FP, and i think one I'm forgetting.  

Unless that changes, especially the first four, small gun cruisers and supercruisers are ruined. 

Of course I missed the table and finding news that is more than a couple of days old is a pain. :Smile_facepalm: We will have to wait until we see the changes and what replaces any skills that are removed and what skills become baked in like Situational Awareness.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
8,290 posts
12,186 battles
28 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

i think you mean Flint, Black and the Neutrashimy

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,418 posts
4,198 battles

Smolensk was always for coal, you're thinking of steel ships. I don't see Smolensk ever returning except through containers. That ship is more hated than CVs. Put it up there with Belfast as something that will very likely never see direct sale again (I'd say never, but that's what they said about subs).

I'd expect Flint (RIP: killed by the IFHE rework) and Black to be back in the armory for coal for the holidays.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,756 battles
34 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

...ah, the days of idealism, when you believe what WG says their plans are...

Maybe someday WG will let me purchase Flint with that stack of coal that keeps growing in my armory...

...but not yet, apparently...not yet.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,442 posts
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Of course I missed the table and finding news that is more than a couple of days old is a pain. :Smile_facepalm: We will have to wait until we see the changes and what replaces any skills that are removed and what skills become baked in like Situational Awareness.

There's a link to my thoughts on all the changes in my sig.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,144 posts
14,735 battles
7 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

There's a link to my thoughts on all the changes in my sig.  

Thanks, I have to go out but will take a good look when I get back.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

I wish Smolensk would be sold for coal again.  It is one of the few unique ships WG has come up with in a long time and I missed my chance to grab it what it was available.  However, considering how most feel it is grossly OP and toxic to the game overall, I kind of doubt we will be seeing it any time soon, at least until something even more OP and ridiculous is released and makes is seem balanced by comparison.

As for the other three, Flint, Black and Neutrashimy, not much to be excited about there. 

Flint used to be cool when it was the only massive rate of fire cruiser that could hide in smoke, but we have a ton of them now, all with better guns and alot more range.  Also I think they are removing AFT from cruisers with the new captains skill rework so its just going to be a big DD with its 11.1 km max range, all while sporting a huge citadel that screams delete me especially at the 10 km range you need to be in to make the guns work for you.

Black also had a great gimmick, back when it was the only DD to have radar, in fact is was one of the very rare ships that had radar at all.  Now though, there is so much radar in the game that it isn't unique anymore and its other stats are mediocre at best.

Neutrashimy is probably the best of the three but at best is is a very meh DD.  Only two turrets with mediocre rate of fire, very mediocre torps, mediocre concealment and very mediocre, really bad speed.  I does get a zombie heal though so has a good survival rate but that is not enough for me to want to spend my coal on it.

There also doesn't seem to be much upcoming on the radar either.  Maybe the Hizen or the Plymouth if either ends up going for coal but I am not sure either are going to be all that good to be honest.

[OO7]
Members
602 posts
7,504 battles
30 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

The IFHE changes were because it was a no choice decision to take it

No you dont understand.  Flint / Atlanta no longer can pen t9 cruisers or BB, which it seems regularly.  The one thing Flint and Atlanta is good at is being able to pull of close range ambush on cruisers, it can no longer do.

Now with the captain skill rework that is being hinted at, Flint and Atlanta can no longer increase her gun range.  In the future you will be playing a Flint / Atlanta that 1) cant deal HE dmg to even cruisers and the 2) gun range of 11 km.  Have fun with that.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,991 battles
52 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

What's the delay I wonder? 

You have over 24 thousand battles and still believe what WG says? Amazing! They'll be back when WG thinks they can cash in on bringing them back.

• Cool 2

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles
59 minutes ago, Umikami said:

You have over 24 thousand battles and still believe what WG says? Amazing! They'll be back when WG thinks they can cash in on bringing them back.

You wouldn't be playing the game yourself if you don't believe what WG puts out...well, most of the time anyway.

[SIM]
Members
5,384 posts
8,890 battles

Personally, I’m stacking coal in hopes of picking up Neustrashimy sooner than later. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,830 posts
4,733 battles

I have Atlanta but would like to play Flint.

IMO, Smolensk will not be back.  Maybe SC drops.

[RLGN]
Members
14,909 posts
26,428 battles
2 hours ago, vak_ said:

I want to see Smolensk literally scrubbed from the game like the original T-59 was from Tanks. (Though I think a revised T-59 has been put back in?)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,144 posts
14,735 battles
2 hours ago, mixmkz said:

No you dont understand.  Flint / Atlanta no longer can pen t9 cruisers or BB, which it seems regularly.  The one thing Flint and Atlanta is good at is being able to pull of close range ambush on cruisers, it can no longer do.

Now with the captain skill rework that is being hinted at, Flint and Atlanta can no longer increase her gun range.  In the future you will be playing a Flint / Atlanta that 1) cant deal HE dmg to even cruisers and the 2) gun range of 11 km.  Have fun with that.

I understand but it was a no choice choice, more penetration and almost all of the fire chance. The problem is that along with the IFHE changes they changed the armor on ships which made IFHE mostly useless except for some of the smaller guns. We still haven't seen any of the trees in their entirety so all we can do is wait. The Supertesters will likely see them first and then for the rest when it hits the PT.

It isn't time to...

IJnxZ3w.gif

yet.

• Meh 2

[WOLFC]
Members
1,995 posts
10,430 battles

Since WG is bringing back Jean Bart (Jean Bart B), I wouldn’t rule out Smolensk returning eventually (although I wouldn’t count on it either). Bringing back JB, even as a Black Friday ship, does lead credence to WG’s claims that they remove ships for being “too abundant in MM” (i.e. create artificial scarcity), so I wouldn’t rule out any ship removed under this language.

Smolensk was never really OP, just very annoying to deal with. The other thing to keep in mind is that Smolensk is a special ship, not a premium. In the wake of the attempt to rebalance GC last year, WG committed to never directly nerfing “premium” ships. Special ships were given no such protection (in fact, ARP Yamato, an upcoming special ship, was announced with a specific disclaimer that she may be balanced in the future). If WG really wanted to, they could nerf Smolensk and re-release her. WG has yet to directly nerf a special ship, but they have left the door open to do so if they need to.

Edited by Nevermore135