You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kmai135246

Zao with 155s

14 comments in this topic

[PROG]
Members
6 posts
5,088 battles

Do you think WeeGee will ever make a IJN light cruiser line that has 15 155 guns like the mogami? I really want a zao with 15 155s, 4 second less reload, and the same ballistics. That would make it so much fun to play

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

I'm sure eventually we'll get a IJN cruiser split.

Between months, years or small decades as to when though.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,995 posts
10,434 battles

I’m pretty sure WG regrets ever releasing Mogami with 155mm guns. Judging by how long it took them to buff the gun handling of the 155s, WG has always wanted players to “upgrade” to the 203s. I also doubt we will ever have an IJN CL line because the Japanese navy was very focused on CAs (so no/very few designs to base ships on) plus the gunboat DDs already in game share many characteristics of the ship type.

Edited by Nevermore135

[PHD]
Members
217 posts
6,436 battles
5 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

I’m pretty sure WG regrets ever releasing Mogami with 155mm guns. Judging by how long it took them to buff the gun handling of the 155s, WG has always wanted players to “upgrade” to the 203s. I also doubt we will ever have an IJN CL line because the Japanese navy was very focused on CAs (so no/very few designs to base ships on) plus the gunboat DDs already in game share many characteristics of the ship type.

The gunboat destroyers are awesome and fun ships to play. There is little need for a light cruiser line, as you posted, the IJN was not into developing light cruisers beyond the Agano class.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
26 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

I am surprised WG hasn't stripped the 155s out of the Mogami's tech tree already and turned the 155mm version into a premium to be honest.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,995 posts
10,434 battles
16 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

I am surprised WG hasn't stripped the 155s out of the Mogami's tech tree already and turned the 155mm version into a premium to be honest.

I am too, but I suspect it has to do with the fact that the 155s are generally considered the more powerful/popular option. Just wait until there is a time where WG has put distance between themselves and the most recent PR “scandal” and decide they can take the hit... :Smile_trollface:

Edited by Nevermore135

[1CVDV]
Members
226 posts
11,716 battles

if they(wg)ever took my 155 mogami away I believe I would quit playing the damn game!

[BB35]
Members
110 posts
20,396 battles

Yeah I play the 155 Mogami since if I want to play a ship with 10 203s I can play Atago or Takao at tier 8.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,434 posts
4,198 battles
3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

That was more an early plan of progression from light to heavy cruisers. WG originally had CLs at low tiers, moving on to CAs at high tier. 155 Mogami was supposed to be worse than the 203 version (this is also the reason Cleveland got shoehorned into T6 originally). I think they didn't expect players to like the CL playstyle at high tiers, and since it didn't fit into the progression the 155 Mogami was always ignored and purposely made worse than the 203 version. As the game developed though WG changed their mind on CLs at high tiers, notably with the RN CLs and then with the USN CLs. That got eventually to where we are now with CLs and CAs getting separate lines all the way to T10. So yes, back then WG didn't want the CL Mogami to be viable, that's changed though with time so now I'm sure they're fine with it.

I do think we will see an IJN line split (and a Mogami split as well), that's just the way of things now, and 155 Mogami has shown it's possible. Yes, the IJN wasn't into CLs (they didn't need to be since they weren't into treaties either), but I'm guessing WG wouldn't have many issues making one up, they're pretty good at that.

Also, if we do get an IJN CL line 10 bucks says the T10 is Smolensk 2.0 with the 100mm guns on an Ibuki hull:cap_rambo:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,242 posts
24,629 battles

Historically the IJN weren't too fond in dumping resources into their CLs.  The CLs that served the IJN in WWII were almost all decrepit.

Tier III Tenryu entered service in 1919.

Tier IV Kuma-class, which a lot of their CL designs were based on, entered service in 1920.

Nagara-class isn't in the game, yet.  Nagara entered service in 1922.

Sendai-class, with RAdm.Tanaka's flagship Jintsu being from this class, entered service in 1924-25.  None are represented in the game.

The IJN had these 20+ year old CLs serving in the frontline when they went to war with the USA.  They had nothing new in the 1930s.  They did have the Agano-class CLs begin construction in 1940 with Agano herself entering service in 1942.  Yahagi is from this class and she is a Premium CL in Tier V.  This class was the epitome of IJN CLs.

The treaty-cheating Mogami-class were originally fitted with 155mm guns, but the IJN always intended to swap out their 155mm guns for 203mm should war erupt.

If you look up these CLs, except for the Mogami-class which were never intended to be CLs, they're all poorly armed.  The peak of CL Firepower was Agano-class, and they packed only 152mm x6.

Agano-class CL Noshiro below in 1943.

Japanese_cruiser_Noshiro_in_1943.jpg

In the same time period that the IJN began construction of the Agano-class, and entering service in 1942, were the Cleveland-class CLs.

Cleveland herself below in 1942.

1920px-USS_Cleveland_(CL-55)_underway_at

The USN loved the Cleveland-class.  25 of these would enter service during WWII and none would be lost in battle.

Anyways, the IJN weren't big believers in CLs.  You can tell by the resources they devoted into them.  I am all for introducing more historical IJN CLs, but they'd be low tier material.  I have alternate ideas for them to make them viable as "Destroyer Leaders" which is what they were intended for.  Very stealthy CLs to operate more closely with Destroyers, and having access to Type 93 Long Lance torpedoes.

That is the only way these poorly armed CLs can be of any use past Tier IV.  Their gun power was too low compared to their counterparts.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ARGSY]
Members
21,686 posts
15,738 battles
On 10/21/2020 at 5:07 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The USN loved the Cleveland-class.

Given how many were turned into missile ships carrying either Terrier or Talos missile systems, to serve well into the Cold War, the design team should retrospectively be given some sort of medal. 

Members
2,110 posts
32,544 battles
On 10/21/2020 at 3:37 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Anyways, the IJN weren't big believers in CLs.

You'd have thunk Helena would have changed their minds at some point. 

[ARGSY]
Members
21,686 posts
15,738 battles
17 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

You'd have thunk Helena would have changed their minds at some point. 

After the War in the Pacific started? Even if they'd wanted to, could they have actually done it?

I suspect the list of ship classes bigger than a destroyer which were started from a clean sheet of paper, designed, built and placed in service AFTER that nation commenced hostilities but BEFORE the end of the war is pretty small, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that most of them were American.

• Cool 1