Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_JohnWick_

Hard time winning in BB's

17 comments in this topic

Members
95 posts
2,660 battles

So I've played around 400 games or so since my 2 year hiatus.  And having a hard time winning in bb's.

I do lots of damage but just can't win.  If I get too aggressive I get focused and smashed, and If I stay back, team dies in 6 min.  Any suggestions would be great.

*Also*

I use secondary build on my captain for Biz and Massa... when I control click on the enemy, that little 'A' appears above the enemy and I know it's selected for secondary fire.

My question is, I can do the same thing with a non secondary captain, and that 'A' still appears over the enemy??  I don't understand why?

THanks guys

[WPORT]
Members
6,668 posts
11,641 battles
7 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

My question is, I can do the same thing with a non secondary captain, and that 'A' still appears over the enemy??  I don't understand why?

I suppose it is to demonstrate that the "game feature" is working, even if you don't have an MFCS skilled Captain.

Designating planes to focus AA fire upon was done the same way, in Operation Dynamo, with our DD's.  That operation is on hiatus, now.

[WORX]
Members
11,447 posts
19,196 battles

DMG do not equal wins... I suggest going/doing the basics.

• Sink all cruisers within 10min..
  • Help cap
  • Sink DDs with secondaries
  • Dont hug islands.
  • Stay with the main battle force group...
    • In other words, if you dont know the class... Then dont sail alone or with only a buddy... I recommend going with the fleet of 4 ships.
  • Pay attention to all win conditions in a game mod, and choose which one is the correct one to win.
    • Sometimes just running away is the best and only option to preserve the win.

That is all (in a basic way) how to reduce the loses in a BB.

GL

• Meh 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,242 posts
9,573 battles
21 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

So I've played around 400 games or so since my 2 year hiatus.  And having a hard time winning in bb's.

I do lots of damage but just can't win.  If I get too aggressive I get focused and smashed, and If I stay back, team dies in 6 min.  Any suggestions would be great.

*Also*

I use secondary build on my captain for Biz and Massa... when I control click on the enemy, that little 'A' appears above the enemy and I know it's selected for secondary fire.

THanks guys

Mind if you post a replay? Sometimes a video is worth a thousand word explanation. It’s tough to identify issues from straight stats alone.

[SALVO]
Members
2,518 posts
6,689 battles
37 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

What the "A" tells you is that this is the ship the secondaries will focus on, rather then any other target  on that side.    For example you might start off a fight with a BB being in secondary range and all by themselves your secondaries will shoot him.  However if say a DD pops up a bit further away then that BB you would want to tell your secondaries to shoot at that DD rather then the BB.   Remember that secondary focus stays on a ship even if they go dark or are further away so once a DD is marked your secondaries will always try to shoot him first rather then someone else in range. 

Edited by eviltane

Members
95 posts
2,660 battles
9 minutes ago, eviltane said:

What the "A" tells you is that this is the ship the secondaries will focus on, rather then any other target  on that side.    For example you might start off a fight with a BB being in secondary range and all by themselves your secondaries will shoot him.  However if say a DD pops up a bit further away then that BB you would want to tell your secondaries to shoot at that DD rather then the BB.   Remember that secondary focus stays on a ship even if they go dark or are further away so once a DD is marked your secondaries will always try to shoot him first rather then someone else in range. 

Ya I get all that... I just didn't know why the same 'A' appears when you don't have the secondary skill on your captain.

[WORX]
Members
11,447 posts
19,196 battles
1 minute ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Ya I get all that... I just didn't know why the same 'A' appears when you don't have the secondary skill on your captain.

If anything, I can view what happened in a match with just looking at the end of the match results for both team tab.

Replay will help also the others see what you're doing wrong.

[SALVO]
Members
2,518 posts
6,689 battles
7 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

You might get it already but the reason is that the "A" is not really associated with the skill.  Rather it  just marking the "Alpha"  target for your secondary's. 

Edited by eviltane

[-1]
Members
751 posts
10,602 battles
53 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

I do lots of damage but just can't win.

The point is to damage the right targets. For example if you face a cruiser and BB it's easier to shoot BB, but cruiser will block your DD from pushing. If you focus and eliminate or at least push away cruiser you will do less damage, but this would allow your DD to cap and maybe devastate enemy BB with torps. It's kind of obvious but this is basically the crux of BB gameplay: be good at targets selection.

Members
95 posts
2,660 battles
8 minutes ago, eviltane said:

You might get it already but the reason is that the "A" is not really associated with the skill.  Rather it  just marking the "Alpha"  target for your secondary's. 

ok hold up... now I'm confused...

If that's the case.... then why do I need to waste 4 points on that skill??  If my ship will target my secondaries to the target of my choice already.. then why do I need that captain skill??

[SALVO]
Members
2,518 posts
6,689 battles
5 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

If that's the case.... then why do I need to waste 4 points on that skill??  If my ship will target my secondaries to the target of my choice already.. then why do I need that captain skill??

The manual secondaries skill boosts the accuracy of your secondary's by 60%  ( i think thats the number). Personally I do not take it because the secondaries on the other side of your ship do not fire neither do they fire on any unmarked targets. But it needs to be said many more players including those far better then me  recommend it.

Keep in mind that this is for the current captain builds and WG is planning to reduce the accuracy bonus to 30% while allowing the secondaries on the other side to fire  in the upcoming skill tree changes. 

Edited by eviltane

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,758 battles
2 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

Selecting alpha target tells all secondary guns that can fire on the selected target to do so.

If you have not selected a target, the ship AI will select targets for itself. This only becomes important when multiple ships are in range. Your secondary guns have individual firing arcs...and not every gun can hit every target.

Generally, a secondary gun will continue firing on the same target until it can no longer do so...then it will switch.

Sometimes, you want to focus your secondaries on one of the ships in range rather than the other. Selecting it and placing the 'A' will slave your gunners to firing at your target whenever they can do so. If they cannot, then they will engage other targets as determined by the AI.

Manual fire control as a skill grants you vastly improved secondary gun accuracy...BUT your secondary guns will ONLY fire at targets you select as the 'A' target.

Make sense?

Members
95 posts
2,660 battles
Just now, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Selecting alpha target tells all secondary guns that can fire on the selected target to do so.

If you have not selected a target, the ship AI will select targets for itself. This only becomes important when multiple ships are in range. Your secondary guns have individual firing arcs...and not every gun can hit every target.

Generally, a secondary gun will continue firing on the same target until it can no longer do so...then it will switch.

Sometimes, you want to focus your secondaries on one of the ships in range rather than the other. Selecting it and placing the 'A' will slave your gunners to firing at your target whenever they can do so. If they cannot, then they will engage other targets as determined by the AI.

Manual fire control as a skill grants you vastly improved secondary gun accuracy...BUT your secondary guns will ONLY fire at targets you select as the 'A' target.

Make sense?

ok.. thanks.. makes more sense now.

[CNO]
Members
6,078 posts
18,552 battles
3 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

ok.. thanks.. makes more sense now.

Yeah, as others have said.  The four point skill is all about that 60% accuracy improvement (T8 and above).  

With the skill:

1.  You target the designated target at a 60% accuracy increase.

2.  Secondaries will NOT FIRE AT ALL if you fail to designate.

3.  Secondaries will ONLY FIRE at the target designated and none other, even if targets are available on other side!

Without the skill:

1.  You do NOT get the 60% accuracy increase under any circumstances below.

2.  If you don't designate a target, AI selects the target.

3.  If you designate a target, AI will prioritize that target.

4.  All secondaries will fire (both sides of ship) on any target, prioritizing if you designated.

5.  Secondaries open up automatically as soon as target is available.

Note the trade offs with the skill.  You get a 60% accuracy improvement with the 4 point skill.  But you LOSE the ability to target multiple ships at the same time and you lose the automatic fire if a target is not designated.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,758 battles
4 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Note the trade offs with the skill.  You get a 60% accuracy improvement with the 4 point skill.  But you LOSE the ability to target multiple ships at the same time and you lose the automatic fire if a target is not designated.

To be fair, without manual secondaries...they rarely hit...so having them fire immediately isnt much of a benefit...

...plus, in most ships, getting into a situation where multiple ships are within secondary range on both sides is a misplay by you...

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,620 posts
10,480 battles
1 hour ago, _JohnWick_ said:

*Also*

A lot of damage against BBs is different than a lot of damage against cruisers or destroyers.  It comes down to key ships.  In a T10 game, 100k damage might not even kill a BB, but it could eliminate 1 cruiser and 1 DD, and do damage to others.  Its not that you shouldn't shoot at BBs, but you should shoot at any key ships that the enemy has.  Don't farm the BB at 25km when there is a dodging cruiser at 15km that you might be able to hit.  Yes, you might farm more damage off the BB with less effort, but the damage you do to the cruiser would be more catastrophic to the enemy team, even if they are harder to hit. 

BBs are slow ships.  You need to plan your escape route before you go anywhere on the map.  Think about the worst thing that could happen when you go there, and have a plan for it.  Actually, that holds up for any ship in the game.  You just can't get away as fast in a BB if things go sideways.

47 minutes ago, _JohnWick_ said:

The "A" is just an indicator that the priority target is selected.  It is not associated with any skills that your captain might have.  It helps, especially if you have a low health enemy ship within range of your secondaries and your main guns are pointed in a different direction.  It will guarantee that the "A" designated ship will be the target ship and not any others that might be closer.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

The odd thing is that some of my best performing ships have a low win rate while some of my worse have a high win rate.  Personally, and I know that a lot of people disagree, I feel that unless you have the skills to carry a match by yourself each and every match (which only about 5% of all players have) your not going to have a huge amount of influence over your win rate.  Rather your team will be the deciding factor. 

That being the case, just try to do everything you think would help your team win and have fun while doing it.  If the match requires caps, remember, you have to cap.  If your team isn't pushing to cap, remember, you have to push to cap.  If your playing epicenter, remember you have to be in the center of the map, not on the edges.   If another of your team is getting bullied by a CV, remember, you have AA too and can help him not be bullied.  Instead of just focusing on your own little part of the game, remember it is a big map and that you need to be aware of what is going on everywhere, not just in your vicinity.  Basically think about what is required to win and do what is required even if it means adapting your playstyle or perhaps sacrificing your ship earlier than you would have liked.

What typically costs you the win is selfish gameplay like unwillingness to share your armor and allow the enemy to split fire between you and a teammate or leaving the ship leading a push you had been supporting to die while you run and hide behind an island.  

Overall though, quit worrying about win rate and you will have a lot more fun.

Sign in to follow this