You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Slow the Cap ticker down

14 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
936 posts
2,938 battles

2 games in a row tonight on that ring cap map and 1 game on a 4 cap domination map. All 3 games were dominated by effective enemy DD's rushing the caps then easily defending them against counter caps. Ok a fair tactic they won all 3 games in a row with better team work (every game the DD's on my team did absolutely nothing to assist, scout or cap.)

My complaint is these games are over in a flash. Even the last game, despite my useless team not scoring a cap they were actually doing ok in the ship vs ship element, but before 7m had past the game was over, another potentially fun game finished with only 2 ships on each side sunk... I even got myself killed in my Georgia under a hail of dozens of torps trying to cap as no one else was bothering..

Its just frustration when its loss after loss due to no one paying attention or caring about the objective and before people can say 'duh its part of the game' you are relying on pub players in a free to play game. Be more fun if the game put more emphasis on ship vs ship combat instead of controlling random parts of the map.

Sorry for the whiney thread, first game session in weeks and 5 (god awful 1 sided) straight losses... I need another break. Screenshot of my last game sums up how much luck and fun I've been having with WoWs lately...:(

shot-20.10.21_22.36.21-0198.jpg

• Meh 11

[O_O]
Members
6,763 posts
16,168 battles

Team games have objectives.  If a team completely ignores the objectives, they should lose quickly.

• Cool 9

[WPORT]
Members
6,600 posts
11,609 battles

Sinking ships and capturing areas is how to win.  Hope your streak improves, soon.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,601 posts
17,130 battles

If they make the ticker long there will be worse camping than there already is....faster the ticker the faster the action or faster the losses if campers don't change tactics...lower tiers i understand the camping , they are learning mechanics more than tactics and strategies..higher tier should have learned some along the way...my YouTube channel is Metaman2002 and teach tactics,strategies, reviews, and just fun videos...if they are helpful please subscribe..happy hunting captain :cap_viking:

Edited by Meta_Man

[A-I-M]
Members
3,425 posts
14,103 battles
2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Be more fun if the game put more emphasis on ship vs ship combat instead of controlling random parts of the map.

It does: Ship vs. ship combat is what keeps the bad guys from controlling those “random parts of the map.”

The capture points (you know, winning vs. losing) is supposed to kindasortamaybeprettypleeeeze be a motivator for fighting.

[GOB]
[GOB]
Members
2,383 posts

Slow it down??

Want to know how to make it 1000 times slower?

Get in a DD and go sit in a cap yourself,  while Radars , CVs, Hydro and DD hunters are trying to flush you out.

THEN tell us it's too fast.

EDIT>>>  WAIT I just saw you WERE in a DD..   Now your post really is confusing.

It's our Job to cap.. If you want to slow down caps KILL other DDs!  Seems like from your screenshot the DD that Killed YOU knows that.

20000.gif

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,149 posts
13,741 battles

Like so many the OP calls for changes due to several losses. Since the CV rework went live WG has kept an endless stream of events going, many overlapping another. Players are focusing on completing the directives rather than winning.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,300 posts
9,645 battles
4 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

2 games in a row tonight on that ring cap map and 1 game on a 4 cap domination map. All 3 games were dominated by effective enemy DD's rushing the caps then easily defending them against counter caps. Ok a fair tactic they won all 3 games in a row with better team work (every game the DD's on my team did absolutely nothing to assist, scout or cap.)

My complaint is these games are over in a flash.

Turns out ceding the enemy control of all objectives has consequences. Who would have thought :)

And there is no good way to prevent such blow-outs from happening without gimping some good part of the game, for example the ability to come back from behind. Who doesn't like a good comeback story?

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,440 posts
20,612 battles

Usually DDs rushing the caps at the starting bell is how you lose DDs, then lose the game. In fact, that's what it looks like happened in your screenshot -- that's the signature scorecard of a DD that rushed cap, sat broadside in smoke, and got torped by the other destroyer. Steamrolls do happen, and they suck, but you don't want to queue on tilt, or it'll just keep getting worse.

[PT]
Members
936 posts
2,938 battles
3 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Slow it down??

Want to know how to make it 1000 times slower?

Get in a DD and go sit in a cap yourself,  while Radars , CVs, Hydro and DD hunters are trying to flush you out.

THEN tell us it's too fast.

EDIT>>>  WAIT I just saw you WERE in a DD..   Now your post really is confusing.

It's our Job to cap.. If you want to slow down caps KILL other DDs!  Seems like from your screenshot the DD that Killed YOU knows that.

20000.gif

Not talking about the time to take the caps, I'm referring to the games point system on how fast it ticks over once a team has taken multiple caps. It's too fast.  Games are sometimes over in minutes with minimal ship engagement.

Also I was radared through a island and murdered by a hail of shells, the torp hit was just the icing on the cake.

[TMS]
Members
3,606 posts
34,722 battles

DDs can not take and defend caps by themselves. They had help from the team.

[WOLFG]
Members
30,654 posts
9,264 battles
14 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Be more fun if the game put more emphasis on ship vs ship combat instead of controlling random parts of the map.

How much more emphasis do you need? Sinking a ship gives you a bunch of points all at once, and removes them from the enemy.

16 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Not talking about the time to take the caps, I'm referring to the games point system on how fast it ticks over once a team has taken multiple caps. It's too fast.  Games are sometimes over in minutes with minimal ship engagement.

It's the speed it needs to be, to make the caps worth taking, as a viable alternative to sinking all the enemies.

As it is now, if the enemy takes a cap early, there's pressure to take it back, which creates a combat situation. Without that pressure, why not just let the enemy keep the cap? That way, nobody has to move from their favorite island.

If you look at everything through an unbiased eye that WG has done gameplay-wise, a lot of it is about trying to keep things moving, whether or not we approve of how.

Yet it seems that we're determined not to let anything stop us from, well, stopping.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,839 posts
7,522 battles

"The Defense Department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid."

No, that's not a random quote, but exactly from the same situation in the movie Top Gun.  Go watch it again if you don't remember the situation that caused the character to say that.

Everyone knows the conditions that will result in their victory or defeat, and both sides play with equal conditions.  If one side chooses to ignore this, then they deserve to lose, and quickly, so a better team and a better match can come along.  That's the brutal truth.

If one side decided to ignore a victory condition and the other doesn't, then the outcome will be the same regardless of how long it takes.  There is no reason to extend such a game more than it already is, as the current time is more than sufficient for response if that was thought about.  

This game is about more than just sinking ships.  A team that won't keep that in mind doesn't deserve longer to draw out the loss they rightly deserve.

My two cents.

Edited by Jakob_Knight

[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts

The mistake here, is a misunderstanding of how the game works.
This is not a pure team based game, because there are no coaches.
It's every man for himself, like playground basketball.
Judging by the damage output of zero, I suspect you didn't finish in first place on your team.
The game is specifically designed to get you to challenge for that top spot.
The rewards for doing so are emblems, more xp, more credits, faster mission completions.

If you strive to finish in the top spot, over time it will increase your w/r,
and while you still suffer blowout losses, at least you got paid more than everyone else.

That doesn't mean you have to ignore your team completely.
Working with another player can improve both scores.
If you dish the ball to an open player under the basket, everyone 'will' see it, and applaud.