You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
mechanizedmarauder

port slots

26 comments in this topic

[WORX]
Members
11,451 posts
19,196 battles
5 minutes ago, mechanizedmarauder said:

when was the last time/likely next time these oceanfront properties go on sale?

Usually, I would guess around the Thanksgiving holiday...

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,171 posts
16,404 battles

they can be free by completing the missions, and daily mission accumulative!!

why pay when it free?

[X-PN]
Members
600 posts
6,929 battles

I paid for like maybe 6-7 port slots in total. have like 70 ships atm and 28 free slots. every month you get more of em for free.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
732 posts
6,013 battles

I have six empty port slots at the moment, but I tend not to hold on to ships once I've ground past them unless I find them interesting. 

I still have more ships than I could possibly play. 

[POP]
Members
4,660 posts
12,429 battles
53 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

why pay when it free?

Agreed. Out of my current 145 ship fleet, I didn't buy a single slot (well, if you could the couple of premium ships I've bought with cash or doubloons that came with slots, then I've 'bought' a total of four) and I keep every single t5 and up tech tree ship I've researched, either in my active fleet or my snowflake fleet. Even if you don't count the non-fxp premiums and just consider slots occupied by tech tree and fxp ships, I'm still at 100 or so without spending a single doubloon for a slot. And of those ~100 slots, 9 are currently occupied by placeholder t1s that get sold if I need a slot for a new higher tier ship and then bought back the next month when I get my new daily mission slots, and another couple are currently occupied by t2 and t3 ships of lines that I haven't started grinding yet (to fill up a few more slots).

[POP]
Members
4,660 posts
12,429 battles
37 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

Sorry for the noob question but how do you earn free port slots?

Thanks in advance. :Smile_smile:

You can earn two per month by completing daily missions once you unlock missions (not sure what account level that is off the top of my head). They're part of the 'complete multiple daily missions' ones, along with some flags and some research points. You can also occasionally get them from other missions, campaign tasks, and directives - for example, one of the missions for the RU cruiser directives gave a slot, and one of the tasks for the just ended Swirski campaign also awarded one. Missions and the like that award port slots don't seem to be super common lately (besides the daily missions ones), but they do sometimes happen.

• Thanks 1

[RCNW6]
Members
185 posts
3,589 battles
6 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

You can earn two per month by completing daily missions once you unlock missions (not sure what account level that is off the top of my head). They're part of the 'complete multiple daily missions' ones, along with some flags and some research points. You can also occasionally get them from other missions, campaign tasks, and directives - for example, one of the missions for the RU cruiser directives gave a slot, and one of the tasks for the just ended Swirski campaign also awarded one. Missions and the like that award port slots don't seem to be super common lately (besides the daily missions ones), but they do sometimes happen.

Thanks for the info, MUCH appreciated!

By 'Complete multiple daily missions" I'm assuming you mean the recurring combat missions (the ones with 6 parts that reset every day) is that correct ? 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,171 posts
16,404 battles
3 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

is that correct ? 

yes

• Thanks 1

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
3,171 posts
16,404 battles
11 minutes ago, WaywardVariable said:

Awesome

there 1 more way, technically it not really waiting for port slot on sale

I remembered back when i was just playing, 1 of mine div mate discussed about  buying the tachibana for .99c, then sell it for port slot. He then buy other t2/t3 ships when on sale for very cheap, then sale those ships for port slots. So technically, you have to wait until those offer in your premium shop before you can do such.

• Cool 1

[RCNW6]
Members
185 posts
3,589 battles
1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

there 1 more way, technically it not really waiting for port slot on sale

I remembered back when i was just playing, 1 of mine div mate discussed about  buying the tachibana for .99c, then sell it for port slot. He then buy other t2/t3 ships when on sale for very cheap, then sale those ships for port slots. So technically, you have to wait until those offer in your premium shop before you can do such.

Interesting, I'll have to keep my eye out for those buying opportunities since I definitely need to expand the number of port slots I have. :Smile_smile:

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,470 posts
17,795 battles

I understand why captains sell ships. But if you buy Santa containers and so forth then don't ever sell a premium ship or you risk getting that same ship you sold back again. I also don't sell tech tree ships because of events like the upcoming snow flake one where you get coal, or camos etc just for playing it.

I also have dozens of available port slots that I get for free from doing the dailies etc to no need to buy them. I also might have a problem.....

Meme Creator - Funny Boat Hoarder! collector Meme Generator at  MemeCreator.org!

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,017 posts
50 minutes ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

I understand why captains sell ships. But if you buy Santa containers and so forth then don't ever sell a premium ship or you risk getting that same ship you sold back again. I also don't sell tech tree ships because of events like the upcoming snow flake one where you get coal, or camos etc just for playing it.

I also have dozens of available port slots that I get for free from doing the dailies etc to no need to buy them. I also might have a problem.....

Meme Creator - Funny Boat Hoarder! collector Meme Generator at  MemeCreator.org!

I have been on a line grinding spree lately.  I do my dailies and I get the free slots but I am out pacing what I get for free by a long shot.  Not the game's fault, I am grinding a ton, I keep everything and I appreciate the free slots it's gives, but I have had to buy a bunch of slots twice now in the past months.  If a sale is coming up, I am going to capitalize on it but I am going to have to buy them anyway.

[KEGEL]
Members
276 posts
12,451 battles
On 10/21/2020 at 6:58 PM, WaywardVariable said:

Sorry for the noob question but how do you earn free port slots?

Thanks in advance. :Smile_smile:

Someone else will need to confirm this but can't you also get the occasional port slots in the credit containers?

Can't remember the last time I had to purchase ports slots. You get to a point where one doesn't need to worry about it anymore. Similar deal with Captain spots in barracks. 

[FOXY]
Members
1,198 posts
5,458 battles
On 10/21/2020 at 2:24 AM, ObiphanKenobi said:

why pay when it free?

For those of us just starting up the tech trees, port slots are limited -badly- i currently have 5, because i bought 3 and ill have a few more after the missions are done. Im working up 9 different lines at the moment, so im gonna run out here soon when all those ships get to the next tier.

Edited by Princess_Daystar

[WPORT]
Members
6,673 posts
11,674 battles
On 10/21/2020 at 1:26 AM, Navalpride33 said:

Usually, I would guess around the Thanksgiving holiday...

On 10/21/2020 at 1:34 AM, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Either Thanksgiving, as mentioned above, or if not then definitely at Christmas.

+1

[WPORT]
Members
6,673 posts
11,674 battles
On 10/21/2020 at 2:24 AM, ObiphanKenobi said:

why pay when it free?

Some ship collectors out-pace their accumulation of port-slots via the method(s) you describe.
Also, the knowledge and capability to accomplish the missions you're talking about wasn't readily available to me when I was starting out in WOWs.

And, then there are Commander Reserve Slots which aren't awarded via missions and directives.

Members
615 posts
4,388 battles

I think the last time I bought port slots was 2 years ago at Christmas, when they were on sale.  Probably bought 15, and hadn't needed any until recently when I began to run down some of the lines I've been neglecting,.  I;m down to 2 at the moment, and plan on picking some up next time they go on sale. 

It's a rare purchase, and will get even more rare since I've started down all the lines and I'm past the ships where you get them so quickly that I out pace the free slots I get for playing.  I guess the Italian BBs will be the next thing to eat up port slots.

[TRU]
Members
696 posts
20,157 battles
8 hours ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

This describes my situation perfectly.  When I first started this game I did not keep any tech tree ship thinking that the T10 was the end all/be all and the rest could be turned into fast credits and slots.   As you grind on with many games under your belt, you find that some of those old ships were pretty fun and get them back.

It also doesn't hurt to keep them to earn free camo, coal, and containers during special events.  For this past anniversary event, a couple thousand steel was awesome (not to mention some of the other goodies).  

359 ships now and 1 open slot.  Not sure whether to be proud or sad lol.