You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
11m

Dockyard regret

27 comments in this topic

[BE-ER]
[BE-ER]
Members
1 post
2,550 battles

i for one truly hate wasting my hard earned money on the dockyard missions,  for those of us who are casual players that dont spend every waking moment playing this game they made it nearly impossible to get this ship, i think if they are gonna do this again in the future they need to take casual players into consideration, an not just go hey if you dont have time just give us your money, i for one work hard for my money an i dont think i will be giving wargaming anymore of it if this is how things are gonna be.

I understand thing like this need to be a challenge, i get that its just when it becomes a grindfest that some of us who work for a living dont have time for it is unfair for those of us who have to miss out on theses ships unless we fork out a ton of money just to get what everyone else had acess to for mostly free even after spending the money just to be able to start the mission, honestly i know no one probably cares especially the devs, this is just me venting my frustration i hate wasting money to get a ship i  now see i will never get cause i cant afford to spend every waking moment in the game an i refuse to open my wallet an spend more money than i already have in this game.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 5

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,310 posts
23,743 battles

The game is easier to stomach if you play for free only and ignore most of the events. Play when you want, not when dictated to by whatever they are dangling in front of your face. I found the least interesting rewards are ships as I already have far more than I can play and quite a few I haven't really ever played. 

• Cool 4

[WKY13]
Members
541 posts
11,153 battles

So... youre mad they have events that you don't have to participate in, but you also don't want to miss out on them, so...

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Meh 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,947 posts
26,466 battles
15 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

The game is easier to stomach if you play for free only and ignore most of the events. Play when you want, not when dictated to by whatever they are dangling in front of your face. I found the least interesting rewards are ships as I already have far more than I can play and quite a few I haven't really ever played. 

Tonnes of ships with only 10 games each, (5 PvP, 5 PvE, maybe more after x-flakes.)

So, yeah, don’t really play everything I have.

OP; I work full time, and basically did Dockyard in Co-op. Though admittedly I’m single, so no family matters to deal with.

• Cool 2

[DPG]
Members
2,030 posts
10,730 battles

If you're doing the entire Anchorage grind in randoms then it will be an extremely long and painful experience, unless your very good at the game.  I did most of the directives in co-op, save for any credit missions, or XP.  I ended up getting a unique tier 8 premium for $12.30 usd.

[REVY]
Members
8,098 posts
6,118 battles

The dockyard was tailor made to get players emotionally invested in a ship and then fork over lots of real money because they'll be tricked by the sunk-cost fallacy.  Don't fall for their manipulations.  If you love history and warships, save your money and buy a ship model instead.  It'll inevitably last longer and impress more people.

Edited by Sventex
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
316 posts
5,392 battles

Dude, hear what I say, it'll probably blow your mind:

It isn't important. Dockyard ships are not important, this game is not important. If you work full time well... I bet you have other things to get frustrated at.. like more important things.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
7,226 posts
14,033 battles

The 'Paper' Anchorage event and the 'Paper' US battleship event....

As I see the rewards coming n from casual play, and glance at how close I am to 'Levelling Up'......  I need to stop myself.  I need to hold myself back from any misplaced excitement.

For the Pommern event, I got the Graf Spee as a 'middle' prize.  That's what I was really after in that event.  The current stuff gets a yawn.

Now, if they were offering permanent camo for the Colorado or Nagato, I might give an effort.

[WORX]
Members
11,457 posts
19,196 battles

Priorities priorities priorities... The summery of this thread is priorities...

I would rather work then to worry about gaming events.

My view of priorities may differ from others...

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
732 posts
6,013 battles

I've previously burned myself out chasing a premium that I missed out on in the end. I have a port full of premiums that I just don't play, and to get them I spread myself across all the different ship types and now don't play overly well at any of them. 

I took 6 months off, came back with a new outlook. I play what I want to play, when I want to play. If what I play aligns with a mission and I get coal or flags, then groovy. If not, so be it. 

Now I'm trying to focus down on a particular line, and a particular nationality, and grinding my way to Tier X. I feel that will be more rewarding in the long run. 

It's important to remember that you need to be true to yourself and do what you enjoy doing. The minute this game becomes a chore, you've lost. 

[WOLF8]
Members
7,593 posts
6,366 battles
3 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

The game is easier to stomach if you play for free only and ignore most of the events. Play when you want, not when dictated to by whatever they are dangling in front of your face.

This is very much true and also surprisingly applicable to so many games in the world, and not just WoWs... lol.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts

I finished both dockyards and didn't buy either ship.
Had they been decent I would have at least considered it,
but the reviews were unanimous that they were trash botes,
so why spend money on something you already know you'll never play?

[USCC2]
Members
6,192 posts
6 hours ago, 11m said:

i for one truly hate wasting my hard earned money on the dockyard missions,  for those of us who are casual players that dont spend every waking moment playing this game they made it nearly impossible to get this ship, i think if they are gonna do this again in the future they need to take casual players into consideration, an not just go hey if you dont have time just give us your money, i for one work hard for my money an i dont think i will be giving wargaming anymore of it if this is how things are gonna be.

I understand thing like this need to be a challenge, i get that its just when it becomes a grindfest that some of us who work for a living dont have time for it is unfair for those of us who have to miss out on theses ships unless we fork out a ton of money just to get what everyone else had acess to for mostly free even after spending the money just to be able to start the mission, honestly i know no one probably cares especially the devs, this is just me venting my frustration i hate wasting money to get a ship i  now see i will never get cause i cant afford to spend every waking moment in the game an i refuse to open my wallet an spend more money than i already have in this game.

WG do take into consideration casual players - they want to make you more regular players (hence the requirements).

They expect you to commit time to the game, in order to be rewarded.

I used to be quite invested in the game, but then WG ramped up the commitment requirements more and more until I couldn't keep up with WGs 'need' for you to play what they want (rather than what you enjoy). So in effect WG caused me to play less and become even more casual because of their chosen ethos/direction.

Still enjoy the game, but am now in the place where if it folded I wouldn't care either - WG long traded their investment with the community with their love for money. That is their prerogative, as is the choice we all have in how much we invest in the game. :Smile_honoring:

Members
393 posts
2,545 battles
6 hours ago, 11m said:

those of us who are casual players that dont spend every waking moment playing this game they made it nearly impossible to get this ship...

The dockyard is for whales. It tricks a small number of people with too much money into funding the game for the rest of us. That's what we casuals get out of it.

• Boring 1

Members
3,425 posts
40,904 battles
7 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Tonnes of ships with only 10 games each, (5 PvP, 5 PvE, maybe more after x-flakes.)

So, yeah, don’t really play everything I have.

OP; I work full time, and basically did Dockyard in Co-op. Though admittedly I’m single, so no family matters to deal with.

It can be done if carefully planned.

But so true, single life does make it easier.

If I wasn't single, I would probably not be on as much if even at all.

[1CVDV]
Members
229 posts
11,716 battles

I can understand the newer players complaining abit due to them say only having 40/50 ships in their respective ports.i got odin for what was it 3500 dbs and picked up anchorage for 3000dbs.the grinds where NOT that bad at all.finished both with 2 weeks to spare.i realize forums are a space to [edited] about stuff but give wg a break here.puerto rico was the disaster not the last two dockyards.fyi neither odin nor anchorage are terrible ships.i believe everyone wants t10 ships for the price of a t8!

[-TKS-]
Members
1,253 posts
9,590 battles

I still don’t understand how people think the dockyard was a ridiculously grindy event. Okay, I can understand if you’re a new player with limited ship lines, but if you’ve been around the block for a while the directives don’t take more than a couple days to complete, and that’s at maybe 2 hours a day. Another game I used to play REQUIRED you play 6 hours a day for 10 days straight to get a vehicle that came stock. So... yeah I’ll gladly take events I have over a month to complete at my leisure.

[1CVDV]
Members
229 posts
11,716 battles
7 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I still don’t understand how people think the dockyard was a ridiculously grindy event. Okay, I can understand if you’re a new player with limited ship lines, but if you’ve been around the block for a while the directives don’t take more than a couple days to complete, and that’s at maybe 2 hours a day. Another game I used to play REQUIRED you play 6 hours a day for 10 days straight to get a vehicle that came stock. So... yeah I’ll gladly take events I have over a month to complete at my leisure.

the dockyard directive are not particularly hard to accomplish.there are just some people you could take to Disneyland every day/all day and they would still find something to complain about.hence welcome to the forums!

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,310 posts
23,743 battles

Honestly I couldn't say if the event is "grindy" or not as I haven't bothered to even look at the requirements. I sympathize with the OP as I used to participate in almost anything they would throw our way but after a while, like WaveRider said, they got kind of extreme and that culminated in the PR fiasco which just pretty much sucked the life out of the game for me. It was easy to see how little regard Wargaming has for it's customers, their time, and their money. 

The important thing to remember is this is a game, nothing more. Play when and how you feel like it, do what you please as long as you are not bothering others or violating the EULA. Ignore the events that want more from you than you are willing to give and go about your life. There is zero reason for a customer to feel obligated to contribute to any business's success. 

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,764 battles
10 hours ago, 11m said:

You need to free yourself from the expectation that you need every ship and content in the game.

You have other priorities...the frustration is a sign of this. Plan your life to align to your needs. If the way WG sets up their grinds makes the rewards not worth the grind...then dont grind.

You take control. Dont blame WG for something you can change yourself.

3 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

WG do take into consideration casual players - they want to make you more regular players (hence the requirements).

They expect you to commit time to the game, in order to be rewarded.

I used to be quite invested in the game, but then WG ramped up the commitment requirements more and more until I couldn't keep up with WGs 'need' for you to play what they want (rather than what you enjoy). So in effect WG caused me to play less and become even more casual because of their chosen ethos/direction.

Still enjoy the game, but am now in the place where if it folded I wouldn't care either - WG long traded their investment with the community with their love for money. That is their prerogative, as is the choice we all have in how much we invest in the game. :Smile_honoring:

I looked at the rewards for this US battleship event...and nothing was worth any grind to me.

Ive ignored it completely, never even looked at the grind requirements...because I dont want any of the rewards.

WG is just a small part of my life. My happiness stems from other things.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,450 posts
14,133 battles
9 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

For the Pommern event, I got the Graf Spee as a 'middle' prize.  That's what I was really after in that event.  The current stuff gets a yawn.

I WUZ ROBBED!!!!

I only got the Odin for the Pommern event. And only credits for the Spee!

I’ve been hornswaggled!

• Funny 1

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,620 posts
10,486 battles

WG makes a grind to get players to play more, even if you still might not get the prize at the end.  Remember, you are the product as much as the game and the ships in the game are the product.  The ones spending money on the game are here to play against other players.  Most of those other players are free players.  Since the game needs a healthy player base, the free players are just as important as the paying ones to entice people to spend money.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
10 hours ago, 11m said:

I get what your saying.   My big issue with the event is that it shouldn't have cost anything at all if you took the time to grind out all the directives.  It is kind of a kick in the nuts that all that work you put in to the Dockyard event only means you get the "honor" of buying the Anchorage at a discount.  

However, they can't make the events too easy or else they wouldn't be events.  Also, while I do strongly think WG is very greedy, they do have to make money and those of us working often do have more money than time and if that is the case, at least you have the ability to choose which is worth more to you, time or money.

So at the end of the day, you either make the time to play the game or you pay them money to shorten the time you need to play the game.  Choice 3 is you don't pay any money, play as much or little as you want and don't try to be a completionist, rather just be happy that you get a few odd rewards for the little time you devoted to the game.  I mean that is what I am doing with the USN BB event.  I don't feel like putting in the effort to clear the directives and get Kansas so I am not going to bother. I also don't think there is any value in spending money to get the Kansas either.  Instead I am just going to convert whatever amount of tokens I earn into probably credits since I am way short on what I need in credits right now.  Overall I figure I will end up with 10-15 million credits for just playing the game they way I want to play it and that isn't too bad.

[GWG]
Members
7,226 posts
14,033 battles
6 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I WUZ ROBBED!!!!

I only got the Odin for the Pommern event. And only credits for the Spee!

I’ve been hornswaggled!

Then you should have spent some coal to get the Pommern.  It's a popular bote and I still see it in a lot of battles.  Face it:  A brawling BB with torps will always be popular (unless it's the Mutsu).
I didn't.  But that's only since I'm more of a history buff.

But if you are having fun, that's good. 

If you are not sacrificing the lives of others who rely on you, then carry on.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,450 posts
14,133 battles
23 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Then you should have spent some coal to get the Pommern.

Uuuggggghh, I did. And I have Pommern.

It’s called “humor.” As in “using humor to point out that there was no ‘Pommern event’ that paid out the Graf Spee at the halfway point.”

Odin.

Odin event.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
  • Cool 1