You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

How much closer are submarines?

20 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,006 posts

So I see another PTS test of submarines is about to commence. Fine. But a couple of things. 

1. Will carriers have any specific AS weaponry? If not, how do they propose a carrier attack a submerged submarine? Spit on it? Toss potatoes at it? 

2. How about all other ship types? Will ALL ship types have some means of equitable defense against submarines? 

3. How LONG will it be before they get added to the game proper? Maybe first quarter 2021? 

tia fyc

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,675 posts
19,799 battles
1 minute ago, Herr_Reitz said:

2. How about all other ship types? Will ALL ship types have some means of equitable defense against submarines?

As I understand it DDs and CLs will have depth charges, CAs and BBs will have an anti submarine aircraft summon that drops depth charges.

2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

3. How LONG will it be before they get added to the game proper? Maybe first quarter 2021?

Nobody knows. My personal hope is september 2073.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,487 posts
6,656 battles

1. Will carriers have any specific AS weaponry? If not, how do they propose a carrier attack a submerged submarine? Spit on it? Toss potatoes at it? 

Rocket and bomb it when its surfaced.  Subs have very low HP and no AA.  Otherwise they will be able to outrun subs. 

I think I saw a while back that even BBs are getting some anti Sub weapons. 

[SALVO]
Members
2,487 posts
6,656 battles

Crud, Double post.   delete me! 

Edited by eviltane

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,085 posts
14,677 battles
7 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So I see another PTS test of submarines is about to commence. Fine. But a couple of things. 

tia fyc

Actually it is on the TST client.

[COOP2]
Alpha Tester
329 posts
3,583 battles

Submarines should be their own battle type, similar to Operations. I hope they never go to co-op or random, as I truly believe the already-small player base will shrink a lot further.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,023 posts
17,057 battles
30 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

tia fyc

There is a good video out on this round.

As far as number 3 goes..... I think this may be the last test. 

So I am guessing December.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
14 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

tia fyc

The video in that WG put in the news article will answer numbers 1 and 2.  Nobody knows number 3.

[RLGN]
Members
14,823 posts
26,335 battles

Carriers defend against subs by killing everything else.

Unopposed ASW equals dead subs.

• Cool 1

Members
2,439 posts
5,404 battles
26 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

tia fyc

I can answer #1 for you. “Just dodge”

• Boring 1

[P-V-E]
Members
1,512 posts
29 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Rocket and bomb it when its surfaced.  Subs have very low HP and no AA.  Otherwise they will be able to outrun subs.

CV Rockets and bombs work from the surface and down to a depth of 10m, it said in the video for the new test 

Edited by b101uk

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,374 posts
4,193 battles
52 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

tia fyc

Someone didn't read the release.

1. No, not yet. I would imagine they'll get it once WG gets ASW where they want.

2. Yes, DDs and CLs get depth charges, BBs and CAs get ASW aircraft.

3. SoonTM. My guess is first half of next year.

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,305 posts
6,093 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

tia fyc

Oink! 1. Do you really want to have on top of rocket, torpedo, dive and carpet bombers a new generation of depth charges bombers... Do you? You probably think "no" and answered your silly question : never. And don't forget that once a sub is surfaces, planes can attack them. 2. Why should all ships have depth charges, etc Well, yes, yup, yes... As silly as the first question. 3. I love this question. I think they will be a second round of tests now and if players beg for subs, we'll have them soon unless some fundamental issues are revealed, ex what happens if all ships except subs destroyed? Game was unplayable, etc Maybe I send you a copy of my book, "War is the Art of Killing"? Goltz. 

Members
837 posts
14,831 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

Too soon Executus, too soon.

-----

A question - if this gets to the live server does anyone know if WG will be increasing the team size to allow for 2 subs per team?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,006 posts

Well golly Ollie questions answered you did. I posted before seeing their video. I shall review it, ponder it then perhaps have some followup observations. 

I do believe if they intend on sub inclusion to the current modes, the default team allotments will require adjustments. At least one less dd max (down to 3 per side) which then allows one sub. But I'm thinking the cruiser counts will also need to increase. So perhaps there would be some adjustments all 'round.

Off to watch their video - and thanks everyone! 

Members
356 posts
209 battles
4 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

tia fyc

1. We have ships in-game with 0 AA.  So there is already precedence in-game that some ships have 0 defence against other ships.  A least a CV can try ramming.  normal ships cant ram aircraft.  crapmechanics are placed in game so we can adapt.

2. Yes, ships will be able to move as a group with overlapping support bubbles.

3. Soon (tm)

Edited by Laser_Beam

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,212 posts
4 hours ago, Lert said:

As I understand it DDs and CLs will have depth charges, CAs and BBs will have an anti submarine aircraft summon that drops depth charges.

I'm hoping for the 32nd of Nopevember.

13 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

1. We have ships in-game with 0 AA.

And that's one of the MAJOR problems in the game right now, something that should be addressed long long before any attempt at cramming subs in the wrong way up the wrong end, or undertaking an unwanted and convoluted skill rebork.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,006 posts
20 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I'm hoping for the 32nd of Nopevember.

Huh... I heard it was 33rd of Nopevermember... 

They talked about surface ship spotting ranges on sub... but they did not say what plane (aerial) spotting distances would be for carrier aircraft. 

If you think about it - now would be a good time to institute a fourth plane type, "perhaps".... for carriers. Yes, I DO want ASW aircraft, perhaps as a consumable for carriers. 

For cripe's sake, air is the business office of carriers, not some beyond the battle border flight you call in from who knows where and target an area for bombing. Gee, will there be RNG applied to these flights called in to attack subs? If not, they should just forget subs all together. With the number of weapons being brought to bear on subs, wonder what the odds will be of them even surviving the first couple minutes of a battle? 

But if this is the way it has to be so be it. You're gonna have the CV hater rebork fiasco all over again. 

[HELLS]
Members
2,727 posts
28,778 battles
5 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

tia fyc

Too close IMHO...that is all I have to say on the matter....

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,006 posts

Well having watched the video, pretty sure it could be "no joy" all around the table. Every ship class will have some reason or some aspect of sub play that will draw angst to the surface. When I read about sub play on their announcement I came away thinking it's just gonna be a slaughter fest... either subs will wolf-pack, sinking ships left and right... or subs will all die in the first two minutes of a match. 

Personally... I've kind of felt they need to expand the map size... put subs a good 10km in front or in the rear of the main fleet... so they either engage first or last. Of course nobody but me would like that scenario, right? 

As to testing? Nah, no way I'm d/l another monster install from WoWS/WG. I'll watch videos of others, read threads of others. Still not sure why they don't have a "test environment" on each server. All we really should need to do is sign on to the NA server test environment, d/l the changed files to test against and in the test environment and be done with it.