Snargfargle

Now, this is what I want to see in WOWS -- British Tallboy bombs!

12 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

Think of how many ships had sailed over that unexploded bomb in the past 75 years.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,418 posts
4,198 battles

Damn, that looked really close to the wall, I wonder how much damage the detonation caused. They must have really been out of options to detonate so close to infrastructure.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,075 posts

Somewhere I thought it was intimated the bomb was not a controlled detonation but rather an unexpected detonation while they were planning to detonate it? 

And yes, that looks like it would have had a profound hydraulic effect upon the wall of the dam. I would expect it to take months, perhaps upward to a year before a leak actually was produced... not that I'd know anything about such a prediction. 

[KIA-T]
Members
2,237 posts
9,838 battles

I take great pride in my complete incompetency to actually recognise scale in things like this.

So I shall respond: I thought it'd be bigger.

[-A-8-]
Members
508 posts
20,533 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Somewhere I thought it was intimated the bomb was not a controlled detonation but rather an unexpected detonation while they were planning to detonate it? 

And yes, that looks like it would have had a profound hydraulic effect upon the wall of the dam. I would expect it to take months, perhaps upward to a year before a leak actually was produced... not that I'd know anything about such a prediction. 

Yea I'd seen several places reporting it as a "it went off unexpectedly" detonation too.

As for the damage, IIFC they carried about 2,500 kg of explosive. The whole thing topped out at about 5 1/2 tonnes. Craters were about 30 metres across and deep. It was called an earthquake bomb as if it wasn't a direct hit the shockwaves would still do substantial/devastating levels of damage.

Interestingly the designer of this bomb was Barnes Wallace who also designed the bouncing bombs used to attack the Ruhr dams.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,292 posts
12,976 battles
21 minutes ago, wildgooseman said:

Yea I'd seen several places reporting it as a "it went off unexpectedly" detonation too.

As for the damage, IIFC they carried about 2,500 kg of explosive. The whole thing topped out at about 5 1/2 tonnes. Craters were about 30 metres across and deep. It was called an earthquake bomb as if it wasn't a direct hit the shockwaves would still do substantial/devastating levels of damage.

Interestingly the designer of this bomb was Barnes Wallace who also designed the bouncing bombs used to attack the Ruhr dams.

Not quite why it was called an earthquake bomb.

The original idea was to build a delayed action bomb that was big enough and carry it high enough that it would bury itself deep before it exploded, causing what amounted to small earthquake.

No aircraft at the time could carry it high enough. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,129 posts
14,735 battles
26 minutes ago, wildgooseman said:

3 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

The original idea was to build a delayed action bomb that was big enough and carry it high enough that it would bury itself deep before it exploded, causing what amounted to small earthquake.

Yeah, it was suppose to be a near hit and the shock would destroy the underground complex it was used against. They were used against the German super guns that were being used against south England.

[-A-8-]
Members
508 posts
20,533 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

They ended up adapting Lancaster bombers to carry it. Though I must admit being bomber crew was dangerous enough, stripping out armour and weapons to be able to take the bomb weight couldn't have been a nice feeling.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,292 posts
12,976 battles
11 minutes ago, wildgooseman said:

They ended up adapting Lancaster bombers to carry it. Though I must admit being bomber crew was dangerous enough, stripping out armour and weapons to be able to take the bomb weight couldn't have been a nice feeling.

True, and even if the Lancaster couldn't get high enough carrying it, they were still dropping a 12,000 pound or 22,000 pound  bomb.

[-A-8-]
Members
508 posts
20,533 battles
25 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

True, and even if the Lancaster couldn't get high enough carrying it, they were still dropping a 12,000 pound or 22,000 pound  bomb.

The Tallboy was designed to be dropped from about 18,000 feet IIFC. The Lancaster flew at around 22,000 so it was well within its reach. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,673 posts

Apparently, they were just trying to punch a hole in the casing and set the explosive on fire so that it would burn itself out but accidentally detonated the bomb instead. The bomb disposal unit figured the result was good enough since the bomb was rendered inert either way. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,292 posts
12,976 battles
1 hour ago, wildgooseman said:

The Tallboy was designed to be dropped from about 18,000 feet IIFC. The Lancaster flew at around 22,000 so it was well within its reach. 

The original plan was for much higher for it to go really deep for the "earthquake" which would have made it essentially a city buster. Drop it from way up, shake a large city somewhere you don't usually have to worry about earthquakes, bust all the plumbing and sewers, and you've rendered a city useless, even if the building don't fall down immediately. That wasn't happening so they had to settle for as high as they could get it and destroy anything they could hit close enough to. Wallis designed the "Victory Bomber" to drop from 45,000 feet for that purpose.

Also 22,000 feet is with reach of a Lancaster at 63,000 pounds, closer to it's max take-off weight of 68,000, maybe not. Probably doesn't help having a 12,000 pound bomb chained to the underside of the aircraft half out in the airstream. It also would have made the normally very agile and nice flying Lancaster handle like a pig.