Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Eyeless_Camper

Suggestion for coal ship to get?

24 comments in this topic

[-TAF-]
Alpha Tester
1,184 posts

Been thinking for awhile about getting Yoshino but i figured its better to keep an open mind about what coal ship to get due to how much those cost.

Got just about enough coal atm to get Moskva but not Yoshino just yet, so you guys (and girls) have any good suggestions on what ship to get? I usually love Burning things down and smack them hard with HE.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,877 posts
4,733 battles

Salem.  No contest in HE DPM.  In the late game we go hunting for BBs, my waifu and I.

[KIA-T]
Members
17 posts
361 battles

Thunderer or Georgia would be best picks right now. Yoshino is fun for exactly 3 games. I got bored of it rather quickly. But if you like to sit at max range and spam HE entire game sure, it's could be a good pick for you.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,253 posts
9,591 battles

Honestly OP: Get a coal ship for something you feel comfortable doing. A coal ship is a reasonable investment. For example, I purchased a Thunderer a while back, a Pommern soon after. I have played neither of these ships very much if at all, mostly because I just don’t find the former fun, and the latter is rather take out a Georgia. Just because the resource is there don’t feel like you need to purchase something.

Now to answer your question: Moskva and Yoshino could not play more differently. Based on what you like doing, Yoshino would probably be your best bet.

[1984]
Members
4,316 posts
21,181 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Salem.  No contest in HE DPM.  In the late game we go hunting for BBs, my waifu and I.

Do you run rof or range?

op i would take thunderer

Edited by monpetitloup

[KIA-C]
Members
3,554 posts
15,632 battles

In the OP and fun category you have Georgia and Thunderer

In the fun but not particulary easy you have Marceau

In the good and fairly easy you have Yoshino

Moksva isn't bad but personnally I rarely play her. Salem isn't bad but I already have leg DM which is enough for me. Out of all the coal ship I have I would say I have more fun in Marceau then Yoshino and finally Thunderer and Smolensk. 

[OIL-1]
Members
1,291 posts

Thunderer. Yoshino for random. Salem for co-op.

[FE-MB]
[FE-MB]
Members
41 posts
5,783 battles

I have Yoshino, Thunderer, Moskva, Smolenk ..... from those coal ships.

What would be the next acquisition, of a fun ship (I like fun ships, not challenging ones)?

Pommern or Georgia?

I am not a DD player and I have Des Moines at the port with perma camu.

Is there anything different in the coming months?

[ANK-A]
Members
1,342 posts
11,028 battles
49 minutes ago, Wood96 said:

What would be the next acquisition, of a fun ship (I like fun ships, not challenging ones)?

Pommern or Georgia?

Maybe the former steel ships....Flint, Black, Neustrashimy.  However,  I would highly caution getting Flint before captain skill rework happens.  Under the current proposal that ship gets the mother of all nerf hammers.

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,877 posts
4,733 battles
8 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Do you run rof or range?

Range.  She shoots quite quickly enough.  If you're not used to her shell arcs yet, you might go RoF.  Moves it from incredible to insane so a miss is more easily covered.

• Cool 1

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles

Thunderer is by far the best ship available for coal, some even think it is a bit OP and honestly, it is sure to be removed at some point.

However as others have mentioned, getting something you find fun to play might be more important than what is the best ship, in fact I have been wrestling with that decision myself.

Here is my breakdown.

Thunderer - As I mentioned probably the best ship for coal at the moment.  She is very accurate even at extreme ranges, has a very short reload for a BB with her size of guns, has special AP which longer fuse timers that correct the traditional issues the the Brits have with their AP and also has amazing HE.  She is weak to HE spamers though.  Overall she is a threat to everything.  He accuracy + HE means she can damn near delete DDs in a single salvo and because she has both great HE and great AP, nothing, no matter if they are angled or broadside, is safe from here.  She also mounts 457mm guns so can do a lot of overmatching.  Oh and she has an amazingly fast rudder ships which makes her maneuver more like a cruiser than a BB.  Aside from the HE spam vulnerability though, she is just about the complete package.  She also isn't available for cash unlike quite a few other coal ships and is only available for coal.

Yoshino - This one  isn't on my radar mostly because everything I have researched about her says she is pretty Meh.  I don't remember a lot about her from my research because everything about her is meh and honestly forgettable.

Moskva - This is a very good Russian cruiser and a good choice if you didn't acquire her before she was replaced in the tech tree.  Great, accurate guns and good tanking ability though I don't honestly think she is significantly better than the Petro or even Nevsky which are both available in the tech tree.  Not on my radar because of that reason however, if you don't plan to grind the Russian Cruiser tech tree she might be a good pick up. She is unavailable any other way.

Salem - This is a great CA however she is a Des Moines which you can just grind up so.  She has a few gimmicks like a better heal but you get a worse radar.  Still she is just a Des Monies.  Like the Moskva if you don't ever plan to grind out the USN CA line, she might be a great pick up because let's face it, the Des Moines is fantastic.

Marceau - This one is a contender for me and I keep waffling back and forth between this and the Thunderer.  The thing about the Marceau is that I think she offers a very unique playstyle unlike the other Coal ships.  She is one of the few DDs in the game that is capable of being an open water gunboat.  She is so fast and agile this makes it very easy to dodge incoming fire.  She also can just as easily fire over islands as well.  He shell arcs are a bit flightly but no worse than say an American CL and you can extend her gun range out past 16 km if I recall correctly.  She also has the highest DPM of any DD in the game, out DPM'ing so cruisers too I think.  She also has usable torps with Ok range.  No smoke and semi bad (though not the worst) concealment.   I like her because there are not that many ships that can do what she does which makes her something almost completely different from all the other ships I own or have played.  My only issues is I am not fond of floaty shell arcs so be aware of this fact if you don't like slow floaty shells.

Pommern - This is a great choice if you like to brawl as she is probably the best brawler in the game currently.  People who enjoy that playstyle love this ship.  She is also a Tier 9 premium, not a Tier 10 special ship which means she will actually earn more income than  any of the Tier 10s available for coal.  Her main guns are inaccurate though so can be frustrating at times, especially at longer ranges.  This ship can be bought for cash.

Georgia - Many, many people find this ship amazingly fun. She only has 6 guns but they are big guns she is one of the most accurate BBs in the game.  She also has excellent secondaries though she is not a brawler.  Her big claim to fame though it her speed.  She has a speed boost and can reach nearly 40 knots giving her the ability to outrun most cruisers and even many DDs.   Most who own this ship seem to really like her especially if they like USN BBs.  She is also Tier 9 so will earn tons of credits and much better than the Teir 10s available for coal.   She can be bought for cash.

So there you have it.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
4 hours ago, Wood96 said:

Pommern or Georgia?

Flint, Black and Neustrashimy should be showing up for coal in the next few months and there are quite a few new ships being tested at the moment but we don't know what currencies they will be available for. 

Pommern is supposed to be extremely fun, if you are into brawling and I haven't heard anyone at all complain about the Georgia.  I mean it can reach almost 40 knots and run down most cruisers and many DDs if it really wants to.  Both heavily commented on as being fun. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,877 posts
4,733 battles
3 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Still she is just a Des Monies.

A DM with a built-in perma-camo and service discount so she never loses money.

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
12 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

A DM with a built-in perma-camo and service discount so she never loses money.

True but from a play style perspective, she is still a Des Moines.  I guess if your such a huge Des Moines fan that she is the only ship you play, then it makes sense but if you already have the Des Moines, I would just buy the camo, not waste a hard to get resource just for that benefit.  Instead I would get something that can only be gotten for coal.

In any case the Salem is a good choice but I still stick with my recommendation that you only get the Salem if you don't intend to grind the USN CA line or more to the point especially if you don't want or intend to grind the USN CA line because I think the Des Moines is just that good of a CA.  Everyone should want to own a Des Moines at some point.

[1984]
Members
4,316 posts
21,181 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

Range.  She shoots quite quickly enough.  If you're not used to her shell arcs yet, you might go RoF.  Moves it from incredible to insane so a miss is more easily covered.

I run range on me des cause i found i kept getting dev struck with rof. Was wondering if the super heal might mitigate that in Salem, but initial tests suggest otherwise. I’m just too impatient to sit at distance with 14km range so i keep getting focused down. 

[WIB]
Alpha Tester
3,978 posts
2,472 battles
55 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

I run range on me des cause i found i kept getting dev struck with rof. Was wondering if the super heal might mitigate that in Salem, but initial tests suggest otherwise. I’m just too impatient to sit at distance with 14km range so i keep getting focused down. 

I would run range mod myself.  The high shell arcs are mitigated by its rate of fire.  You can quickly and easily adjust fire on the fly in a Salem/Des Moines. 

[FE-MB]
[FE-MB]
Members
41 posts
5,783 battles
3 hours ago, Midnitewolf said:

Thunderer is by far the best ship available for coal, some even think it is a bit OP and honestly, it is sure to be removed at some point.

However as others have mentioned, getting something you find fun to play might be more important than what is the best ship, in fact I have been wrestling with that decision myself.

Here is my breakdown.

Thunderer - As I mentioned probably the best ship for coal at the moment.  She is very accurate even at extreme ranges, has a very short reload for a BB with her size of guns, has special AP which longer fuse timers that correct the traditional issues the the Brits have with their AP and also has amazing HE.  She is weak to HE spamers though.  Overall she is a threat to everything.  He accuracy + HE means she can damn near delete DDs in a single salvo and because she has both great HE and great AP, nothing, no matter if they are angled or broadside, is safe from here.  She also mounts 457mm guns so can do a lot of overmatching.  Oh and she has an amazingly fast rudder ships which makes her maneuver more like a cruiser than a BB.  Aside from the HE spam vulnerability though, she is just about the complete package.  She also isn't available for cash unlike quite a few other coal ships and is only available for coal.

Yoshino - This one  isn't on my radar mostly because everything I have researched about her says she is pretty Meh.  I don't remember a lot about her from my research because everything about her is meh and honestly forgettable.

Moskva - This is a very good Russian cruiser and a good choice if you didn't acquire her before she was replaced in the tech tree.  Great, accurate guns and good tanking ability though I don't honestly think she is significantly better than the Petro or even Nevsky which are both available in the tech tree.  Not on my radar because of that reason however, if you don't plan to grind the Russian Cruiser tech tree she might be a good pick up. She is unavailable any other way.

Salem - This is a great CA however she is a Des Moines which you can just grind up so.  She has a few gimmicks like a better heal but you get a worse radar.  Still she is just a Des Monies.  Like the Moskva if you don't ever plan to grind out the USN CA line, she might be a great pick up because let's face it, the Des Moines is fantastic.

Marceau - This one is a contender for me and I keep waffling back and forth between this and the Thunderer.  The thing about the Marceau is that I think she offers a very unique playstyle unlike the other Coal ships.  She is one of the few DDs in the game that is capable of being an open water gunboat.  She is so fast and agile this makes it very easy to dodge incoming fire.  She also can just as easily fire over islands as well.  He shell arcs are a bit flightly but no worse than say an American CL and you can extend her gun range out past 16 km if I recall correctly.  She also has the highest DPM of any DD in the game, out DPM'ing so cruisers too I think.  She also has usable torps with Ok range.  No smoke and semi bad (though not the worst) concealment.   I like her because there are not that many ships that can do what she does which makes her something almost completely different from all the other ships I own or have played.  My only issues is I am not fond of floaty shell arcs so be aware of this fact if you don't like slow floaty shells.

Pommern - This is a great choice if you like to brawl as she is probably the best brawler in the game currently.  People who enjoy that playstyle love this ship.  She is also a Tier 9 premium, not a Tier 10 special ship which means she will actually earn more income than  any of the Tier 10s available for coal.  Her main guns are inaccurate though so can be frustrating at times, especially at longer ranges.  This ship can be bought for cash.

Georgia - Many, many people find this ship amazingly fun. She only has 6 guns but they are big guns she is one of the most accurate BBs in the game.  She also has excellent secondaries though she is not a brawler.  Her big claim to fame though it her speed.  She has a speed boost and can reach nearly 40 knots giving her the ability to outrun most cruisers and even many DDs.   Most who own this ship seem to really like her especially if they like USN BBs.  She is also Tier 9 so will earn tons of credits and much better than the Teir 10s available for coal.   She can be bought for cash.

So there you have it.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

This analysis was very good.
Thank you @Midnitewolf.

In addition to the Flint, Black, Neustrashimy Package, does anyone have any information about another coal ship?
And ... will there be no more ships purchased for Free XP?

Good Wings
Maitei Ayumana

[_BDA_]
Members
107 posts
3,506 battles
12 minutes ago, Wood96 said:

Thank you @Midnitewolf.

In addition to the Flint, Black, Neustrashimy Package, does anyone have any information about another coal ship?

Good Wings
Maitei Ayumana

Honestly, we don't get info as to what currency a ship is for until it is released. However, here are some ships currently in development that could potentially be released for Coal or Free XP.

Z-44: A tier 9 German destroyer that is more torp focused.

Hizen: A tier 9 battleship that is essentially a Japanese version of the of the new American Battleships that trades armor for some mobility.

Kitakami: A tier 10 Japanese Cruiser that is essentially the Kuma but armed with 40 torpedo tubes.

Plymouth: A Tier 10 British Light Cruiser armed with 16 152mm guns.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
14,877 posts
4,733 battles
47 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Kitakami: A tier 10 Japanese Cruiser that is essentially the Kuma but armed with 40 torpedo tubes.

No way Kitakami will go for Coal.  Unless it's 500,000 Coal.

(That is, of course, if Kitakame is ever released.)

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
30,782 posts
9,354 battles
11 hours ago, Wood96 said:

Pommern or Georgia?

Pommern and Georgia are both fun, just different playstyles.

Pommern appears to be suited only for brawling, but the main guns work fairly well at most ranges, considering they're smallish for T9.

Georgia is a pretty good general BB, just don't fall into the trap of trying to brawl because of her good secondaries, she's not a Mass lol.

I've got both of them, and I think they're both great. If I had to choose, I'd probably get Georgia, just because it's been around awhile and will likely disappear from the armory before Pommern.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
30,782 posts
9,354 battles
3 hours ago, Wood96 said:

Thank you @Midnitewolf.

He did miss one very important feature though. Georgia's Repair Party has a ridiculously short cooldown. TBH, for me, that may just be the best feature the ship has.

Probably, but they sure aren't getting any cheaper lol.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this