You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shadragon

Smoke and HE Spam

16 comments in this topic

[SHADR]
Members
72 posts
2,637 battles

Can someone explain how someone sitting in smoke can see their fall-of-shot as if there was no smoke at all? They see where the shells land and adjust (often before the first salvo has landed.)

And before some armchair critic says 'other ships radio the position' it does not work that way. Two or more ships firing at the same target makes that impossible for a third party to differentiate who fired what.

In-game indirect fire mechanics need serious some serious review when my Tier 9 BB can only do 5,500 average damage (if I can even see them to hit them) while they do 15-20K HE Spam and fire damage in the same time. 

That's neither balanced nor realistic.  There needs to be a penalty for blind indirect fire to make this game playable.  

• Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

Members
3,832 posts
13,788 battles

You moved up the tiers too fast without learning anything in the process. 

This isnt some simulation of real life naval combat. 

[TIMT]
Members
967 posts
4,209 battles

Unfortunately, there is nothing else I can tell you except it works via a third ship spotting you.

Indirect fire either through smoke or over islands is an important tactic in this arcade naval shooter. This is not a simulation but an arcade game, so the spotting mechanic is rather simplified.

If anything I can only recommend to you to try to learn more about how the game mechanics work and what that means for strategy and tactic in the game. This has nothing to do with real world realism, this is a game after all.

I would recommend iChase on Youtube, he has a pretty solid series for beginners with all the information to start.

[SALVO]
Members
5,361 posts
4,575 battles
10 minutes ago, shadragon said:

Can someone explain how someone sitting in smoke can see their fall-of-shot as if there was no smoke at all?

It's called third person perspective bro. It also helps a lot in blind firing those pesky smoke spammers, they tend to remain quiet when they get a cit or two. 

[SALVO]
Members
2,523 posts
6,695 battles
15 minutes ago, shadragon said:

There needs to be a penalty for blind indirect fire to make this game playable.  

This sentiment of "unplayable" always confuses me.  You are not the only one that has to deal with HE spam. Many many thousands of WoWs matches get played every day all around the world. Where players manage to deal with HE spam.  

Here are some tips I had just written up for another platform: 

In general: As a BB you can tank HE spam for a certain amount of time. You need to do some risk assessment, is the spam burning you down fast or is it just more annoying? Remember that HE and fire spam itself can be healed back almost completely.

In some situations I do absolutely nothing about a single DD or light cruisers HE spam, simply putting it out if more then one fire pops otherwise just healing through it. In general a good rule of thumb (especially when getting HE spammed) is to never put out a single fire.

In specific:

VS HE spam from behind Islands. If the guy is spotted fire back with AP . Also look at the island and the ammunition trails themselves sometimes moving closer or just a few hundred meters to each side can put you in a place where they can not hit you. Also sometimes you can simply move out of his range by backing up. Especially below T8 cruisers do not have tremendous ranges and even above that very few can reach out to 20km.

VS HE Spam from a moving or smoked DD.
With few exceptions at the higher tiers DDs can not put out any tremendous damage and as you saw needed near 6 minutes to burn you down. A DD will also only have short range guns even at high tier no DD can reach beyond 15km and most sit around 11km.

If you simply cant counter fire with HE effectively drive away doing some maneuvers yourself to reduce the number of shell hits. Use islands to cut off his Line of sight / maybe you can plan an ambush or move to a more favorable position. Also see if there are any friendly cruisers you could approach for help.

[PSA]
Members
5,111 posts
3,732 battles

Repeat after me ... This is a game. This is a game. This is a game.

WOWS is not a sim. Realism is not needed. They already do a decent job with ballistics, penetration, and more or less accurately modeling historical ships. The rest is pure arcade goodness.

[YIKES]
Members
242 posts
5,935 battles

If WOWS was just pure historical game me and you probably won't be here.

[PSA]
Members
5,111 posts
3,732 battles

I mean, we COULD ask them to go for realism. You know, where dispersion is much bigger and only 1 in 30 shells land. And battles take several hours.

Don't forget that surface ships would never ever see each other because each team has multiple CVs, each launching around 80 planes all at once. Or that DDs are not balanced against BBs, so every DD player would be playing a half dozen ships simultaneously.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,295 posts
22,179 battles
31 minutes ago, shadragon said:

Tier 9 BB can only do 5,500 average damage

Seriously, you would have died over what it used to be :D

Now, it's frustrating but you need to have a better sense of ship capabilities and map placement.

IThink Youre Doing It Wrong Thats Wrong GIF - IThinkYoureDoingItWrong ThatsWrong ThatsNotRight GIFs

[MUDDX]
Banned
429 posts
1,017 battles
33 minutes ago, shadragon said:

That's neither balanced nor realistic.

Balance is in your hands and any semblance of realism was thrown out 5 years ago!

Here, have a cookie!

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
726 posts
13,940 battles

Some players farm. Other players are the potato. You can't have one without the other. Question is..... Do you plant yourself? :cap_hmm: 

[WOLFG]
Members
30,780 posts
9,354 battles
52 minutes ago, shadragon said:

Can someone explain how someone sitting in smoke can see their fall-of-shot as if there was no smoke at all? They see where the shells land and adjust (often before the first salvo has landed.)

No, it's a warship-flavored shooter.

And before some armchair critic says 'other ships radio the position' it does not work that way. Two or more ships firing at the same target makes that impossible for a third party to differentiate who fired what.

Well, technically, some navies used dye in the shells to color the splashes.

In-game indirect fire mechanics need serious some serious review when my Tier 9 BB can only do 5,500 average damage (if I can even see them to hit them) while they do 15-20K HE Spam and fire damage in the same time. 

No offense, but it's your gameplay that needs some serious review. You need to learn to play the game as it is, not the game you wish it was.

Thousands of people use the same mechanics, and are quite successful at hitting targets.

That's neither balanced nor realistic.  There needs to be a penalty for blind indirect fire to make this game playable.  

It's certainly balanced, as anyone can use the same mechanics to achieve the same result.

If you mean that it's not balanced, as in unfair to individual players, well, that's how the game is.

[POSM]
Members
139 posts
1,994 battles
1 hour ago, shadragon said:

Let’s give the fires a good chance of setting off ammunition lockers or magazines, let’s let HE shells damage your fire control systems so you can’t shoot accurate at all, give cruisers their actual gun range, no more giving you the range to target you gotta figure it out yourself, no aiming reticle, give everyone more realistic hit percentages (iron duke’s 14% at Jutland would be unbelievably good), dud shells that will penetrate and do zero damage, no heals for everyone including BBs, and let’s make BBs  more than twice as expensive to play as cruisers, never mind cost vs destroyers. Then let’s see how fun the new game is to play. 

Edited by jwatt_

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles

Is your sunk broken in half ship returning to port completely undamaged realistic? 

[TDRB]
Members
5,154 posts
13,741 battles

At this time I believe the game has plenty of room to add more realism without any worry of coming anywhere close to being a simulator. But it appears WG is seeking younger players so fantasy is a good thing in WG's view. 

This is an opinion.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
6,507 posts
11,619 battles

Removing the ship from view does not stop them from shooting you, or vice versa.